What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
poker27

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by poker27 »

Gods not dead- Came up on Netflix, thought it would have some interesting debate. What I received laughable acting, odd points (to prove God was not dead), and it showed Christianity as a type of bully (and I'm Catholic). Overall a very odd movie
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

travellight wrote:I love the background stories on The Usual Suspects, Petrocelli! .... especially the Keyser Soze part.
There is a blurb about that here, which more or less matches up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Usual_Suspects#Origins
I like that söze comes from a Turkish word meaning "talks too much."
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

poker27 wrote:Gods not dead- Came up on Netflix, thought it would have some interesting debate. What I received laughable acting, odd points (to prove God was not dead), and it showed Christianity as a type of bully (and I'm Catholic). Overall a very odd movie
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

cutterinnj wrote:
poker27 wrote:Gods not dead- Came up on Netflix, thought it would have some interesting debate. What I received laughable acting, odd points (to prove God was not dead), and it showed Christianity as a type of bully (and I'm Catholic). Overall a very odd movie
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Not sure why my comment was removed, but yes, this movie received horrible reviews.
I saw the "Theory of Everything" last week.
EXCELLENT acting; very depressing, though
Hawking's first wife was an absolute saint.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Check your PMs (the 1 new messages in the top left corner). If you have any questions, let me know (via PM).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jstrange1970

Post by jstrange1970 »

John Wick.

It was surpisingly good, though elements of the story left a lot to be desire. I love a stylishly violent action movie on occasion.

Best line: "Oh. *clicks cell phone off*" :| Once you watch it, you'll know what I mean.

77 kills, nearly 90% hit ratio. Never kill a man's dog and steal his car.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We watched Oliver Stone's "W" on Netflix. A story of the Bush Administration and life.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
merrymonk19530

Post by merrymonk19530 »

Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck, a western addressing the end of the cowboy era in the west. I really enjoyed this as did my wife.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

merrymonk19530 wrote:Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck, a western addressing the end of the cowboy era in the west. I really enjoyed this as did my wife.
I thought it starred Lee Melvin. Was there a remake?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am watching "Boys of Abu Ghraib" on Netflix. Moving.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

An expertly crafted horror film: It Follows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/movie ... nager.html
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I have watched six movies in the last week. Five I rented from my library; one I saw on Netflix.

One of the movies I rented, The Great Muppet Caper, I rented only because someone I knew, and was close to, had a walk-on with her father, who was a Muppeteer.

The other four movies I rented were mediocre at best. Two of these, Closer and Goya's Ghosts, were directed by well regarded, Oscar-winning directors. Closer, directed by Mike Nichols and starring Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, and Clive Owen, garnered several awards and nominations but to me was just boring and pointless and came to life only when Natalie Portman was on the screen. Goya's Ghosts, directed by Milos Forman and starring Javier Bardem, Natalie Portman, and Stellen Skarsgård garnered a strong “meh” from me.

The third of these four movies was The Other Boleyn Girl . This not the Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson movie but a low-budget and, to me, amateurish BBC television drama. I guess my objectivity was compromised when I read that historians have heavily criticized the Phillipa Gregory novel upon which the movie is based for its inaccurate portrayal of Anne Boleyn. I guess, too, that the fond memories I have of the Richard Burton-Geneviève Bujold movie, Anne of the Thousand Days, would make any other Anne Boleyn movie pale in comparison.

Hesher, the fourth of the four movies, starred Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Devin Brochu, Rainn Wilson, Natalie Portman, and Piper Laurie. It seemed like the creators took a graphic novel and turned it into a movie. The acting was fine enough, but they all seemed to be in five different films.

The one really good movie I did see of the six I saw was the Netflix movie. This documentary, entitled Blackfish, was about a performing killer whale and attempts being made to ban captivity of killer whales.
Gordon
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

bengal22 wrote:
merrymonk19530 wrote:Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck, a western addressing the end of the cowboy era in the west. I really enjoyed this as did my wife.
I thought it starred Lee Melvin. Was there a remake?
I meant Lee Marvin. Google tells me the one with Tom Selleck is a recent TV movie while the Lee Marvin was one from the early '70's. Anything with Lee Marvin in it is a classic. I still remember in Cat Ballou, Lee Marvin, a drunken ex-gunfighter, singing happy birthday at Jane Fonda's dead fathers casket.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I saw Birdman.

A very challenging film. Well directed and well-acted. Although it is off-beat. I liked it and am going to watch it again this week. I feel like it deserves a second viewinng to get all the nuances.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington on Netflix. Excellent!
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

abuss368 wrote:Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington on Netflix. Excellent!
I haven't seen it, but I highly recommend the original.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I watched Robert Altman's The Player this morning (for perhaps the 10th time). One of the best films ever made about Hollywood. Also, it probably has the most A-List celebrity cameos in the history of film.
Last edited by Petrocelli on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I also watch Tom Hanks, John Candy in Rita Wilson (Tom's wife) in Volunteers. It has been on HBO. I think it is one of the most underrated comedies ever. It's also interesting to watch Hanks before he got really famous.

True story: Tom and Rita's son Chet is a friend of my son. When they were little, when they first started school together, I was at a birthday party with Rita Wilson. I told her how much I liked Volunteers and started quoting lines from it.

A few weeks later, I met Tom Hanks at a different birthday party. I told him my name, and he repeated it and said, "That name sounds so familiar. Where have I heard it before?" He then stopped and said, "Oh. I remember. You're the guy that likes Volunteers!"

Apparently, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were discussing me in their spare time, which kind of freaks me out a little.
Michread

Post by Michread »

Tim's Vermeer on Youtube - very interesting theory on how Vermeer used technology to paint his photographic like paintings
Early retirement 2018
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

[quote="Petrocelli"
True story: Tom and Rita's son Chet is a friend of my son. [/quote]

Don't know if I'd admit that. Chester is apparently (I've never met him) an "interesting" young man - I'm sure you've heard about his recent squabble with Howard Stern.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

stoptothink wrote:[quote="Petrocelli"
True story: Tom and Rita's son Chet is a friend of my son.
Don't know if I'd admit that. Chester is apparently (I've never met him) an "interesting" young man - I'm sure you've heard about his recent squabble with Howard Stern.[/quote]

I am well aware of his problems. There but for the grace of God....
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

"Chasing Madoff" on AMZN. Quite telling, not like the media. It was black and white fraud.
Last edited by snowshoes on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

St. Vincent. I enjoyed it
All the Best, | Joe
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

abuss368 wrote:Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington on Netflix. Excellent!
I'd like to see this remake. Did you see the original?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Saw DreamWorks Animation's Home today. Light, enjoyable comedy. The vocal perfromances were all excellent, with a particular hat tip to Steve Martin.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Petrocelli wrote:I watched Robert Altman's The Player this morning (for perhaps the 10th time). One of the best films ever made about Hollywood. Also, it probably has the most A-List celebrity cameos in the history of film.
When The Player first came out I really liked it and recommended it to a friend. A few weeks later I ran into her and asked if she had seen The Player. She had seen it, but didn't like it. I asked why not? She replied that there were so many well known actors in the movie that it made it difficult to figure out which actors were characters in the movie and which actors were playing themselves.

Altman would certainly have appreciated her assessment of his film. :wink:

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I have just finished watching The Green Prince on Netflix. This is a documentary based on the Mosab Hassan Yousef autobiography, Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices. Yousef is a Palestinian who worked undercover for Israel's internal security service Shin Bet from 1997 to 2007. Shin Bet considered him its most valuable source within the Hamas leadership. The information Yousef supplied prevented dozens of suicide attacks and assassinations of Israelis and exposed numerous Hamas cells. He assisted Israel in hunting down many militants, including his own father, a Hamas leader Sheikh Hassan Yousef.

The documentary explores Yousef's complex relationship with Shin Bet and the inner conflict he had with what he was doing. It also explores the growing and mutual respect between Mosab Hassan Yousef and his handler, Gonen Ben Yitzhak.
Gordon
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

bobcat2 wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:I watched Robert Altman's The Player this morning (for perhaps the 10th time). One of the best films ever made about Hollywood. Also, it probably has the most A-List celebrity cameos in the history of film.
When The Player first came out I really liked it and recommended it to a friend. A few weeks later I ran into her and asked if she had seen The Player. She had seen it, but didn't like it. I asked why not? She replied that there were so many well known actors in the movie that it made it difficult to figure out which actors were characters in the movie and which actors were playing themselves.

BobK
The Player starts with a 15 minute continuous take which is fantastic in its execution and introduction of major characters.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Watched the Imitation Game last night, and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Dave
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Song of the Sea
animation, touching story.
Foxcatcher
very different role for Steve Carell, ending was
a little shocking as I was not aware in detail of
the true story the movie was based upon.
Mr. Turner
profiles the last years of British artist JMW
Turner, a little long but scenery and period
depiction is breathtaking.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

bengal22 wrote:
bobcat2 wrote:

BobK
The Player starts with a 15 minute continuous take which is fantastic in its execution and introduction of major characters.
That was one of the inspirations for Birdman which has almost no cuts.

FYI, the opening scene of The Player was inspired by Orson Wells' Touch of Evil.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I was forced to rewatch Titanic last night, because my daughter got to pick a movie. It's maybe the most overrated movie ever. All special effects and bad screenwriting.

Here's the plot: A really rich, good looking guy gets his fiance' -- Kate Winslett -- the biggest diamond in the world. he then takes her to NYC on the biggest boat in the world, and gets her the biggest stateroom on the biggest boat.

She thanks her fiance for all this free stuff by hooking up with a guy from steerage in front of all his friends. What a trollop. The worst part of this movie is that this floozy didn't go down with the boat.
flybynite

Post by flybynite »

DFrank wrote:Watched the Imitation Game last night, and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Weird - our family too! Everyone liked it - even the less engineering minded. I really enjoyed them covering Enigma, Turing computers, and Turing test.. thought the scene with detective was an allusion to Blade Runner.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Sort of offbeat," The Identical ", worth watching, especially if your an Elvis fan.
All the Best, | Joe
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Saw Jersey Boys on HBO last night. Great movie that has all of those great Frankie Valli and 4 Seasons tunes of the 60's. I don't usually like musicals but this Clint Eastwood movie is a different kind of musical.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
sedna273

Post by sedna273 »

I saw "Birdman" last night working through the "Academy Awards" netflix queue. It was certainly an odd one.
Last edited by sedna273 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
3wood

Post by 3wood »

My 6 year old became interested in Star Wars so we watched all six this past week. We did it in proper order for the story line so we watched the newest ones first. I was a kid when they first came out and it was certainly nostalgic seeing them again.
AAA

Post by AAA »

I recently watched Interstellar. While it held my interest for its almost 3 hour length, maybe because I kept expecting more, for me it fell short of all the hype, with some reviewers declaring it to be a masterpiece. Putting aside any questions about the science content, there were so many plot holes that, on looking back, it was actually ridiculous. There are websites devoted to enumerating these.

And too bad because as a sic-fi fan I greatly anticipating this movie and even bought the Blu-ray, something I rarely do, thinking I would want to watch it more than once.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

3wood wrote:My 6 year old became interested in Star Wars so we watched all six this past week. We did it in proper order for the story line so we watched the newest ones first. I was a kid when they first came out and it was certainly nostalgic seeing them again.
That's not really the proper order for the story line. You should watch the original trilogy first, then the prequels. Otherwise, lots of plot points in the later movies are spoiled.

I watched It Follows recently, and it was one of the better horror movies I've seen in a long time.(Most recent horror films have left me disappointed) My wife and I also saw Cinderella last weekend and enjoyed that as well. It was a simple re-telling of the story, without any of the extreme embellishments that so many other movies feel compelled to add to stories.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Over the winter watched all 5 seasons the HBO series The Wire. In true Boglehead fashion I rented the DVD's from the library.
"The Wire" is probably the best and most realistic show I have ever seen.
Check it out and enjoy.
sogm

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by sogm »

tacster wrote:"The Short Game"

Highly recommended even if you're not a golf fan.

Thanks Tacster, enjoyed The Short Game. You should try out

Here is one of my all time favorites:

Headhunters
R 2011 ‧ Thriller/Action ‧ 1h 42m
Watch trailer
7.6/10·IMDb
92%·Rotten Tomatoes
72%·Metacritic
A corporate recruiter (Aksel Hennie), who moonlights as an art thief, plans to steal a valuable painting from the perfect candidate (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) for a job he needs to fill.
Release date: April 27, 2012 (USA)
Director: Morten Tyldum
Story by: Jo Nesbø
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Bustoff wrote:Over the winter watched all 5 seasons the HBO series The Wire. In true Boglehead fashion I rented the DVD's from the library.
Check it out and enjoy.
Agree. One of three great TV dramas: The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Petrocelli wrote:
Bustoff wrote:Over the winter watched all 5 seasons the HBO series The Wire. In true Boglehead fashion I rented the DVD's from the library.
Check it out and enjoy.
Agree. One of three great TV dramas: The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad.
+1 ... Petrocelli, you have excellent tastes in viewing.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Not a movie per se, but watching some of the CNBC Programs and documentaries on the Apple TV. Good content. Last night we watched Escape from Havana with the Pedro Pan mission. I learned a lot.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Man, my tastes are out of step with the majority here! :D

Recent cinema selections: Kingsman (hilarious! Samuel L Jackson has never been funnier and Colin Firth was super enjoyable in his role too) and What We Do In the Shadows. What We Do In the Shadows was a riot, and I could not stop giggling the entire time. Fans of Flight of the Conchords must watch it. It might also sit well with fans of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries like Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, etc. I think we probably enjoyed it a little bit more because it was filmed and set in the city where we previously lived, but I think we would have loved it anyway.

Other non-cinema choices: "Code Name: Emerald" a so-so WWII spy thriller starring Ed Harris. Not fabulous but not awful and something I had wanted to see since I first saw the box at the video store back in about 1988. We have what has to be one of the world's premiere video stores just around the corner and they had it--they have EVERYTHING. We watched the original Gregory Peck/Robert Mitchum "Cape Fear," which is a masterpiece compared to Scorsese's 1990s remake.

Speaking of Gregory Peck, I watched Boys From Brazil, which I had never seen, despite the fact that it's climactic scenes were filmed in my hometown. On the theme of conspiracy movies, saw the 1970s sci-fi thrilled "Capricorn One," which was also good, but kind of uneven.

We've also been slowly working our way through the Ken Burns WWII documentary, "The War," which I highly recommend. Some people feel that Burns has some sort of agenda or isn't a great historian, maybe, but I have uniformly enjoyed nearly every single thing of his that I've seen and think he is a genius when it comes to making history engaging and accessible for the average jerk like me.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Petrocelli wrote:I was forced to rewatch Titanic last night, because my daughter got to pick a movie. It's maybe the most overrated movie ever. All special effects and bad screenwriting.

Here's the plot: A really rich, good looking guy gets his fiance' -- Kate Winslett -- the biggest diamond in the world. he then takes her to NYC on the biggest boat in the world, and gets her the biggest stateroom on the biggest boat.

She thanks her fiance for all this free stuff by hooking up with a guy from steerage in front of all his friends. What a trollop. The worst part of this movie is that this floozy didn't go down with the boat.
The movie was bad to awful in most places, but you are joking about the trollop/floozy part, right?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Tombstone....Kirt Russell..Val Kilmer..love these cowboy movies...law and order all the way..
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Just wasted a couple hours watching "Birdman".Terrible and I can't even figure what it was suppose to be about.
All the Best, | Joe
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Last 5 Redbox rentals:

Imitation Game (superb film)
Big Hero 6 (definitely enjoyable, but not one of Disney's best)
Interstellar (if you liked Contact and 2001, you'll love this... otherwise, you might want to pass)
Foxcatcher (solid film)
Mockingjay (only reason I saw this is because I saw the prior ones... bleagh)
loves2read

Post by loves2read »

We go to the movies every weekend--
saw "Woman in Gold" yesterday--
enjoyable, especially the vintage sections about the younger Maria in Nazi Vienna.
That actress is Tatiana Mazlany from "Orphan Black" who is terrific in both productions...
if you have cable and enjoy complex, though-provoking material, I suggest watching it...
She plays a young woman who discovers she is not who she thinks she is--just incase you haven't seen/read about it.

Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds were good--they each have some special scenes that allow them to "emote" with Mirren taking the larger role....it is her story after all...but Reynold's part which has received really negative reviews I think is handicapped because it is based on a real person who is still alive and is likely true to that person's personality...
We enjoyed it and from reaction of rest of audience so did they--
There is a "Philomena" aspect to it and personally I think "Philomena" is stronger film and Densch's performance better than Mirren's...but part of that can be laid to the script and the director of each film..."Woman in Gold" was directed by someone with television experience even though he is older (married to Elizabeth McGovern who has small role in the film)
Stephen Frears directed "Philomena"--no comparison between the two IMO...