What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
joe8d

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by joe8d »

Next movie is The Drop.
Don't waste your time
All the Best, | Joe
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched two movies on Netflix tonight.

The first was Maidentrip, a documentary about a fourteen year-old Dutch girl, who sets out, camera in hand, in pursuit of her dream to be the youngest person ever to sail around the world alone. Her quest sparked a year-long battle with Dutch authorities. Excellent.

The second was Short Term 12. This film stars Brie Larson, John Gallagher, Jr., and Kaitlyn Dever. It is about a twenty-something young woman (Larson) who supervises a residential treatment facility for troubled teenagers. Terrific film, with strong performances by everyone.
Gordon
rockylou

Post by rockylou »

Watched Foxcatcher last nite, on Redbox. It was very good, although kind of depressing. I like movies based on true story
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Actually I just watched Dr. Strangelove again. Can't get enough of it. I had an old Amazon gift card laying around and didn't especially want anything, so I spent the last of it on a Dr. Strangelove DVD. Of course I had to watch the DVD as soon as I got it to make sure it didn't have any defects.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Reservoir Dogs, written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. He also plays one of the characters. This is the 15th anniversary re-release of the original (1992).*

I probably watched it back in 1992, as it vaguely looked familiar. The movie holds true to his style, which is why I got hooked on watching every one of his movies. This one is no disappointment.

Heads up: There's a reason it's rated R.

Previously watched: The Zero Theorem, directed by Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python fame). It puts the term "number cruncher" in a whole new light.

* There's more than 15 years since 1992, but that's what the DVD cover says.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Five Scoop

Post by Five Scoop »

Last night I watched one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Last Will, from 2011. It was streamed from Hulu. Despite a "star-studded" cast, it had a terrible script, plot, and acting.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1312222/
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I just rewatched "The Usual Suspects." The movie was written by Chris McQuarrie (who won the Oscar for it). Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Interesting trivia fact: Chris was working in my copy room when he wrote the movie, and many of the characters in the movie are named after my co-workers.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Does anyone know if American Sniper is available on Redox? Was the movie itself good and would you recommend it?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

abuss368 wrote:Does anyone know if American Sniper is available on Redox? Was the movie itself good and would you recommend it?
I don't know if it is available on Redbox.

I saw it in a theater and thought it was great. Highly recommended.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Petrocelli wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Does anyone know if American Sniper is available on Redox? Was the movie itself good and would you recommend it?
I don't know if it is available on Redbox.

I saw it in a theater and thought it was great. Highly recommended.
The preview looks amazing.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I did rent "Fury" on Redox and really liked the story. I recommend the film. Many good World War II films are being made recently.
dewey

Post by dewey »

"Top Five" (Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson along with many other cameos by popular actors/actresses and comedians). Wife and I both really enjoyed it. It was billed as a comedy but was much more social and cultural commentary. There were some good laughs to be sure. But the movie had a serious side too. We enjoyed it a great deal but not for what we expected.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Petrocelli wrote:I just rewatched "The Usual Suspects." The movie was written by Chris McQuarrie (who won the Oscar for it). Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Interesting trivia fact: Chris was working in my copy room when he wrote the movie, and many of the characters in the movie are named after my co-workers.
Keyser Soze?
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Two more movies:

The Secret of Kells
Red Army
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

Gone Girl -- I thought is was excellent. It started out slowly, and I was beginning to get bored. After the first 45 minutes or so, it got exponentially better up to the very end. Unique plot and unpredictable.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I really enjoyed Chef starring Jon Favreau, Sofia Vergara, John Leguizamo. Chef is available on Netflix.
Wiki
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Went to see the "Second best exotic Marigold hotel" this weekend in the theater. Despite the good cast and acting, I got really bored with the storyline.
I did not see the first one - I wasn't even aware it was a sequel - I thought "second best" was just a joke in the title. I'm glad I missed the first and wish I had passed on the second as well.

Also rented Ouija and Horrible Bosses 2 on blu-ray from redbox. I knew these weren't very good movies - but these were just about the "least worst" available from Redbox on Blu-ray that I haven't seen. Anyway, Ouija was just stupid, Horrible bosses 2 was funny, for a time, but it still dragged on a bit.

If someone was streaming HD movies at 20-30 megabits/s, instead of 2-3 mbits/s, I would buy a faster internet connection and stream and access a wider selection of movies than Redbox. But for my home theater, streaming is just not an option - the A/V quality is just not bearable.
No one is streaming movies at rates anywhere to Blu-ray. And the quality gap will only increase with the advent of 4K blu-rays which will use 100+ megabit throughput.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

From Argentina: Wild Tales. Highly entertaining.

A review...

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... -delights/
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Winthorpe wrote:Gone Girl -- I thought is was excellent. It started out slowly, and I was beginning to get bored. After the first 45 minutes or so, it got exponentially better up to the very end. Unique plot and unpredictable.
I also enjoyed Gone Girl

John
gl

Post by gl »

Recent movies I've seen (in order of preference):

Dear White People (even more relevant, in light of recent events)
Birdman (well done, but i was hoping for more)
Gone Girl (fun mystery, but crazy)
All is by my Side (nice to learn more about/ see jimi)
Get on Up (same w/ j. brown)
The Drop (enjoyed the main actors)
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I am thankful that I started this this a while back. I have enjoyed many good movie choices mentioned here.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

jginseattle wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:I just rewatched "The Usual Suspects." The movie was written by Chris McQuarrie (who won the Oscar for it). Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Keyser Soze?
Keyser Soze is named after the company CEO.
daveatca

india

Post by daveatca »

Second best exotic marigold hotel

B+
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I saw Boyhood last night. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. I can't understand the Best Picture nomination.
pinebarrens1

Post by pinebarrens1 »

The Quite Man.......

watching it now, actually. Right in the middle of it. There's trouble brewing because of stubborn Will Danaher.

"He'll regret it til his dying day....if he ever lives that long" :beer
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Really enjoyed Whiplash as did my wife, and it is rare for us to enjoy the same movie.
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 »

The Imitation Game was amazing - I couldn't recommend it more highly.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was full of the usual whimsy you expect from Wes Anderson and was delightful.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Petrocelli wrote:
jginseattle wrote:

Keyser Soze?
Keyser Soze is named after the company CEO.
He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power.
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

letsgobobby wrote:Really enjoyed Whiplash as did my wife, and it is rare for us to enjoy the same movie.
+1

that schillinger is a fantastic actor and I'm thrilled he's finally getting the recognition he deserves whatever his real name is. and my wife didn't like it one bit.

fun fact. I started listening to jazz after watching it, and have since realized that the movie had nothing to do with jazz.
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

DoWahDaddy wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:Really enjoyed Whiplash as did my wife, and it is rare for us to enjoy the same movie.
+1

that schillinger is a fantastic actor and I'm thrilled he's finally getting the recognition he deserves whatever his real name is. and my wife didn't like it one bit.
J.K. Simmons is his real name, and he won an oscar for his performance i Whiplash. I agree that he is a fantastic actor.
Sammismom

Post by Sammismom »

Whit Stillman trilogy via Amazon Instant video:

Metropolitan
Barcelona
Last Days of Disco

Enjoyed them all.

Soundtrack to Last Days of Disco is fun.

Last Days of Disco is my favorite of the three.
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

btw, he had a great two minute cameo in Up In The Air. nothing like being surprised by an actor's appearance who rains clout all over a flick. worth the price of admission.
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Tonight's movies:

Queen and Country
The Wrecking Crew
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I rented Brothers from my library and watched it last night. This is a Jim Sheridan film starring Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, and a luminescent Natalie Portman.
Gordon
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Dutch wrote:
He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power.
The person after whom Keyser Soze was named is actually from Turkey.

Interesting fact: He would not give Chris permission to use his name when he found out he was going to be the incarnation of evil. Put simply, no one want to be the next Freddy Krueger. So Chris had to change his name slightly.

"McQuarrie based the name of Keyser Söze on one of his previous supervisors, Kayser Sume, at a Los Angeles law firm that he worked for,[12] but decided to change the last name because he thought that his former boss would object to how it was used."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Usual_Suspects
Pugs135

Post by Pugs135 »

I just watched The Blind Side for the first time and I really enjoyed it.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

A bunch of us watched Whiplash last night.

All six of us agreed on the rating: :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale 2011 from Taiwan covers the Wushe "Incident" (more like ethnic cleansing), with gorgeous cinematography. It's pretty graphic so this is not family entertainment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2007993/?ref_=rvi_tt
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Nicky's Family on Netflix. World War II and how one man saved many children. Moving.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We also started season 3 of "House of Cards" on Netflix and I recommend it.
KCjoe

Post by KCjoe »

Nebraska

watched it with my wife last night on Netfix. At the beginning I did not think I would really like it, but ended up enjoying it. A little off beat, even a touch depressing at the start. I would watch again.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

KCjoe wrote:Nebraska

watched it with my wife last night on Netfix. At the beginning I did not think I would really like it, but ended up enjoying it. A little off beat, even a touch depressing at the start. I would watch again.
Agree. It's a gem. One of my favorites that year.
travellight

Post by travellight »

I love the background stories on The Usual Suspects, Petrocelli! .... especially the Keyser Soze part.

I watched Nightcrawler last night; loved it. Jake Gyllenhaal's most memorable role.

I also enjoyed Gone girl.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I watched "It follows" in the theater last night. Sadly, this horror movie did not live up to the reviews. I did not find it even a little bit scary.
My husband was just bored. The idea was original, but the movie just dragged on.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

St Vincent, starring Bill Murray.. Murray was totally in character here.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

I agree with Petrocelli on a 3 for Boyhood; and maybe that's a little high. I thought the whole story was based on an assumption that all adult males are violence-prone jerks.

I disagree, again, with a high score for Fury. It's a gritty, authentic, plausible WW2 story for the first hour or so, then becomes a morass of really stupid, cartoonish, totally implausible episodes and details.

If you decide to see it, do so in a real theater to get the impact of the realistic first half. When you notice that the movie is starting to go off the rails, don't stick around in hopes that it will get better. It won't.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched The Other Woman last night on Netflix, starring Natalie Portman, Scott Cohen, Charlie Tahan, and Lisa Kudrow. This a 2009 film that Don Roos wrote and directed. It is based on a novel by Ayelet Waldman entitled Love and Other Pursuits. A woman (Portman) tries to mend her relationship with her stepson (Tahan) while dealing with the jealous ex-wife (Kudrow) of her husband (Cohen). At the same time, she is trying to come to terms with the loss of her newborn.

Natalie Portman once again gives a great, understated performance.

(I Googled Ms. Waldman and discovered, among other things, that she writes a mystery series. So far, she has written six novels in the series. My local library has all six books in the series, so I am going to check out the first in the series to see if I like it.)
Gordon
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

denismurf wrote:I agree with Petrocelli on a 3 for Boyhood; and maybe that's a little high. I thought the whole story was based on an assumption that all adult males are violence-prone jerks.

I disagree, again, with a high score for Fury. It's a gritty, authentic, plausible WW2 story for the first hour or so, then becomes a morass of really stupid, cartoonish, totally implausible episodes and details.

If you decide to see it, do so in a real theater to get the impact of the realistic first half. When you notice that the movie is starting to go off the rails, don't stick around in hopes that it will get better. It won't.
I saw boyhood last night; thought it was quite good as a coming of age story. Gave it 4 stars out of 5. It seemed worthy of a best pic nomination. Have not yet seen all of the other nominees, so don't have an opinion on that score. I have no quarrel with the Supporting Oscar for Patricia Arquette (but again, haven't seen all of the competition yet).

Did not get an all-males-are-jerks vibe from the film. As far as I recall, all of the major characters were endowed with flaws, including the boy, his sister, and his mother. The Ethan Hawke character (the father) evolved into a positive force in the boy's life--a mentor and supporter.

It's easy to dismiss the 12 year gestation as a gimmick, but I think it deserves more credit than that. Few filmmakers would have the dedication and vision to pull this off. Will you be able to adapt or rewrite your story to fit what your precocious 6 year old protagonist will be capable of as an 18 year old?

Watching the boy gradually grow up over the space of 165 minutes heightened the verisimilitude for me. Call it crass manipulation if you don't like it, but I thought it was fascinating.

I somewhat agree with your comments about Fury. Certainly the final battle was silly Hollywood exaggeration. But I think the key scene that makes or breaks the film was the one midway through, in the apartment. I thought it was superbly done, and the outcome wasn't predictable based on knowledge of standard war movie cliches; if you don't buy into that scene, you won't like the film.

Reminded me quite a bit of Platoon (but nowhere near that level).
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

watched THE GIVER today. Terrible.
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

PRIDE -- The story takes place in 1984 during the Coal Miners strike in England. At a gay pride parade in London, a group is formed to collect money for the strikers - Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners. The miners' union refuses the first donation, so the members of LGSM pick a miners' union lodge in Wales and make contact. Over time, the group collects the most money and the two groups meet.
This was made last year and got limited circulation, and a good thing, too. With a DVD, you can turn on the English subtitles (this takes place in London and a Welsh mining town) -- there are certain moments you want to catch every word, like the lyrics of a crowd song. Heartstrings get a serious tugging while watching this movie "based on the true story". Bill Nighy and Imelda Staunton are among the Welsh folk. I was brought to my knees.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfFvsKDuUU
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.