What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FRANK2009

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by FRANK2009 »

Netflix on the CD subscription plan-Dallas Buyers Club. "Yuck" is my one word review.

St. Vincent in a movie theatre. Not funny but OK. .. Barely.
Last edited by FRANK2009 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

All the headlines about Ebola made me want to watch a pandemic movie. Contagion (2011) by Steven Soderbergh was pretty good.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Fury - a rare moment going out to the cinema. It was worth it. I consider it a guys' movie with the tank as the main "character" and setting. All the tank team is great, including Shia who was a surprise after the 3 Transformer movies.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote:The Third Man, with Jos. Cotten, Alida Valli, and Orson Welles, directed by Carol Reed, 1949. A must-see classic!

The Man Who Would Be King, with Michael & Shakira Caine and Sean Connery, directed by John Huston, 1975.
Both enormously great movies.

The atmosphere in Third Man is absolutely engrossing. I have watched and rewatched it many times. I don't even get burnt out on the zither music which is the only complaint I have ever heard about the movie. I dismiss that complaint :!: Criterion has a very nice Blu Ray (and DVD).

Man who would be king is a rollicking good adventure story. The story is by Rudyard Kipling who is one hell of a storyteller and directed by no less of a storyteller, John Huston. Caine and Connery each on their own, and here each is in his prime, could turn a mediocre story into a classic anyway. On top of that we even get Christopher Plummer.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

" Before I Go to Sleep"....in spite of a negative review from the Wall Street Journal, I thought it was excellent. I read the book early this summer....it was great too...
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Citizenfour, last night .

It was the only movie playing at that time in the independent theater I went to. I was out of cash, so I paid for the ticket with a credit card. I have surely been added to a government watchlist by now.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Saw in the movies "St. Vincent" with Bill Murray. I highly recommend it.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

"Birdman."

Went completely over my head. Seemed like it had a lot to say that could be related to by people familiar with Hollywood, Broadway, and/or those into the acting/writing scene. Interesting movie, one of those that blurs the lines between reality and fiction, and did some fancy filmmaking stuff with very, very, very long takes.

I was tired of it after about 25 minutes, though.

Also saw recently in the theatre: "Fury," and "Gone Girl," both of which were quite entertaining and well-made films.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Silver Linings Playbook on Netflix with Robert DeNiro. Enjoyed the film and would recommend.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
fkampere

Post by fkampere »

abuss368 wrote:Silver Linings Playbook on Netflix with Robert DeNiro. Enjoyed the film and would recommend.
Good movie I just recently seen Hercules and would say it was really good.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

fkampere wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Silver Linings Playbook on Netflix with Robert DeNiro. Enjoyed the film and would recommend.
Good movie I just recently seen Hercules and would say it was really good.
With The Rock?
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I don't watch many movies, no time... but I found myself wanting to watch a movie this weekend and Netflix popped up with the second Hunger Games movie. I watched it, and it was surprisingly good. The second book was the best, so I'm glad the movie was entertaining.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched The Art of Violin, a documentary DVD that I borrowed from my library. The film features archival footage of performance and interview excerpts of many violinists no longer with us, such as Heifitz, Elman, Kreisler, and Menuhin, coupled with commentary from contemporary figures such as Itzhak Perlman and Hilary Hahn.

Excellent!
Gordon
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Interstellar.
It was Stellar. A lot more emotional than expected. A little crazy. But a Spectacular move.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
wbond

Post by wbond »

Nicolas wrote:The Man Who Would Be King, with Michael & Shakira Caine and Sean Connery, directed by John Huston, 1975.
Peachy, in your opinion, have our lives been misspent?
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Forrest Gump" on Netflix. Tom Hanks is very good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Broke my record this year.

Just saw Interstellar in IMAX, well worth the money. As an indicator of the length of the movie, there was a line to the men's room afterward. I enjoyed this one more than last year's Gravity.
Titanium3er

Post by Titanium3er »

I watched "Patton" (1970) for a leadership paper I had to complete for graduate school. I chose it because I've always been into history in general and WWII specifically. It was also free on Amazon Prime :wink:

I have to say it was really good, especially for being so old. George C. Scott put forth a really believable performance. It's no wonder he won the Academy Award for best actor that year.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Titanium3er wrote:I watched "Patton" (1970) for a leadership paper I had to complete for graduate school. I chose it because I've always been into history in general and WWII specifically. It was also free on Amazon Prime :wink:

I have to say it was really good, especially for being so old. George C. Scott put forth a really believable performance. It's no wonder he won the Academy Award for best actor that year.
Excellent film. I believe this is on Netflix presently.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I was somewhat disappointed in Interstellar. Worth watching, but somewhat overhyped. Still would recommend it, but it is no 2001 or even Gravity.
Mike
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

tennisplyr wrote:Saw in the movies "St. Vincent" with Bill Murray. I highly recommend it.
Yea I agree. Lots of overlap with the movie "Way, way back." Both adult male characters (Bill Murray and Sam Rockwell in Way, Way Back) who themselves had many foibles turned out to be great role models for insecure and rejected boys. Both are great feel-good movies.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

MoonOrb wrote:"Birdman."

Went completely over my head. Seemed like it had a lot to say that could be related to by people familiar with Hollywood, Broadway, and/or those into the acting/writing scene. Interesting movie, one of those that blurs the lines between reality and fiction, and did some fancy filmmaking stuff with very, very, very long takes.

I was tired of it after about 25 minutes, though.

Also saw recently in the theatre: "Fury," and "Gone Girl," both of which were quite entertaining and well-made films.
I just got back from seeing "Birdman" . I greatly enjoyed it. It was highly entertaining and really hilarious at times.

I saw Interstellar on friday night. I had too late of a dinner to make the last IMAX show at 10:45pm, so went about an hour later to see it on a "regular" screen (in 4K digital) at AMC . Unfortunately, the presentation was less than stellar - the sound level in particular was way too low, making many of the dialogues hard to understand. And that was made much worse by some in the crowd which just wouldn't stop talking during the movie even after being politely asked to keep quiet. I would not have expected this for a show starting at almost midnight. But I guess there was simply too much marketing around this movie. I really need to remember to avoid seeing blockbuster movies on opening night. I regret not seeing it in IMAX. The movie was good, but I don't think I am going to see it again in a public theater. I will rent it on Blu-ray when it comes out, and give it another watch in my home theater, which will have much better sound and no crowd distractions.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

mhalley wrote:I was somewhat disappointed in Interstellar. Worth watching, but somewhat overhyped. Still would recommend it, but it is no 2001 or even Gravity.
Mike
I agree, Interstellar is no 2001. The attention to detail in 2001 is simply amazing. Christopher Nolan is no Stanley Kubrick. The storyline in Interstellar is much more complex than 2001, and the movies are approximately the same length. Interstellar might just be packing too much of a story even at nearly three hours, IMO. 2001 remains my favorite movie of all time.

Maybe Interstellar should have had an intermission at half time, like 2001 did, and a little bit longer runtime. I guess in the 1960s, the directors had more understanding of moviegoer's bladders. I would certainly like to see whatever was edited out in Interstellar - hopefully forthcoming in a Blu-ray disc.

I thought Gravity was a good movie. Again, the story in Gravity is much simpler than Interstellar. It's hard to compare those movies.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Nightcrawler. Creepy. Almost Faustian in its bargains with the devilish.

Not family entertainment. :wink:

Wonderful performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.

Lev
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A Million Ways to Die in the West. Dumb humor, which is not family-oriented. It does have some entertaining value (not much) and might be worth a cheap rental.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Saw Interstellar yesterday. Good movie. The story was much better than Gravity IMO.
Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Dave55 wrote:Saw Interstellar yesterday. Good movie. The story was much better than Gravity IMO.
Dave
I saw interstellar in an IMAX. The special effects were great.

Too loud at times (covered my ears so I could hear later dialogue).
The story seemed predictable in many places. I thought they stretched the substance
of the story too much.

I recently watched "The Fault in Our Stars" and liked the storyline much better. A different kind of picture,
but it was much less predictable.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two recent movies at home:

1. The Departed....Jack Nicholson would make anything great. He made this movie superb.
2. Two Guns....Denzel Washington would make anything great. He made this movie great.

Ed
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

Documentaries on Netflix:

Art of the Steal
Senna
telemark

Post by telemark »

Fantastic Voyage, on Netflix. It holds up better than I expected, with a good performance from Donald Pleasence and a nicely atmospheric score.

Next up: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids...
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

I finally watched Frozen and couldn't stop, um, staring at the characters' absurdly huge eyes. I found the film forgettable, but not the doe-eyes so I googled around, wondering whether it might have been mentioned in reviews, etc., and came up with this from "Slate": http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... rists.html
Last edited by Fallible on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
sambb

Post by sambb »

gone girl. Wow.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

A Fistfull of Dollars
A Few Dollars More

A good friend of mine who is 63 never saw these 2 classics. So, I watched them with him.

Dave
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

A couple of Gritty type:
"God's Pocket" ( Philip S.Hoffman) and "Joe"( Nicholas Cage)
All the Best, | Joe
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just caught Princess Bride on TV.

I can watch it anytime. It is simply one of those movies where everything worked perfectly.

In the middle of an apparently evenly matched sword fight...
  • Inigo: I know something you don't know.
    Westley: And what is that?
    Inigo: I am not left-handed! (Switches sword to right hand and turns the tide.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0TBWg3C3k
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Dave55 wrote:A Fistfull of Dollars
A Few Dollars More

A good friend of mine who is 63 never saw these 2 classics. So, I watched them with him.

Dave
Can I assume he saw The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

bertilak wrote:
Dave55 wrote:A Fistfull of Dollars
A Few Dollars More

Dave
Can I assume he saw The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?
He did not see The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly yet, but I think he will very soon. He never saw Dirty Harry, Josey Wales or any of the Clint Eastwood greats. Hard to believe. The guy is a "foodie" - loves great food. I told him not seeing these movies is like never having had a good meal. He really liked Fistful and For Few Dollars More.

Dave
wander

Post by wander »

Company of Heroes.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Just watched Interstellar on an IMAX screen. For me, the plot was a disappointment, but I enjoyed the visuals. It's currently way overrated at #11 all-time on IMDB.
vrex

Post by vrex »

Nebraska...enjoyed it very much.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

vrex wrote:Nebraska...enjoyed it very much.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Levett wrote:Nightcrawler. Creepy. Almost Faustian in its bargains with the devilish.

Not family entertainment. :wink:

Wonderful performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.

Lev
Agree, but I found it depressing, hard to watch at times, and in the end did not like it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

We Were Strangers (1949), with Jennifer Jones & John Garfield, directed by John Huston. Cuban revolution in 1933. Funny to see Jennifer Jones blazing away with an AK-47.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

St VIncent in theater
Maltese Falcon on PBS

Enjoyed both.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

3 Days to Kill. Kevin Costner.

I liked the movie and it is available on Netflix.
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

Watching Dumb and Dumber right now; it's a classic.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Django Unchained was off the chain good.
Pale Blue Dot
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Watched Interstellar and loved it. However, having seen all of Nolan's films, I went into it not expecting the story to be any deeper than a college freshman bong session. I actually love all his non-Batman movies nonetheless, because I think he is a great storyteller with wonderful aethetics. For that reason, Interstellar did not disappoint and could be my favorite movie of his, if for no other reason that it is the first movie he has made that actually affected me emotionally.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Another vote for Nebraska. A bit slow moving but great! I gave it 5 stars . Very little violence or cursing'; just a nice simple story.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Hercules- Eh it was watchable
Single Shot- Thought the description sounded entertaining, almost watchable
Draft Day- Was a big fan of this movie, maybe more than I should have been. Parts were somewhat slow, but it kept me excited. I'm a football nut, so that probably added to my pleasure.