Long Layover in Miami - Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Carl53

Long Layover in Miami - Recommendations

Post by Carl53 »

We'll have a long layover, about 9 hours, at Miami International, on our trip to Chile.

I've looked online with nothing particularly jumping out as a must do, but thought I'd inquire of the BHs for recommendations to enjoy the stop rather than just endure it.

FYI, 3 adults, and the layover is from roughly 9am to 6pm. We have not been in Miami previously but did once visit the Everglades.
Taylor Larimore

Re: Long Layover in Miami - Recommendations

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Carl:

If you are in Miami on a Saturday morning, you and your friends might join me here:

Castle Harbor Race Clinic

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Carl:

If you are in Miami on a Saturday morning, you and your friends might join me here:

Castle Harbor Race Clinic

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank would be quite exciting, however we will be there on a Friday. I'll admit that I'm often nervous about making sure I have enough time for connections as I seem to be the one often given the opportunity for additional scrutiny on international flights. That said, my other flight alternatives, left me with an uncomfortable (for me) amount of time between flights and have to take connections rather than a direct to Miami flight.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
MrWinky

Post by MrWinky »

Cape Florida State Park was very pleasant to visit when we were passing through a few years ago.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Carl53 wrote:We'll have a long layover, about 9 hours, at Miami International, on our trip to Chile.

I've looked online with nothing particularly jumping out as a must do, but thought I'd inquire of the BHs for recommendations to enjoy the stop rather than just endure it.

FYI, 3 adults, and the layover is from roughly 9am to 6pm. We have not been in Miami previously but did once visit the Everglades.
I recommend eating at the La Carreta Restaurant in the Miami Airport. It is Cuban and I have seen it mentioned on some 'Best Restaurant' Programs.

I enjoyed the Beef and Onions dish. I eat there every time I visit the Miami Airport.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Just remembered another spot:

Biscayne National Park

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
jdb

Post by jdb »

Grab a taxi. Tell them to take you to South Beach. Spend a few hours strolling Ocean Drive and dining/drinking in one of the outdoor terrace restaurants. That is what tourists do. Enjoy.
Taylor Larimore

Hop On; Hop Off bus tour

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Carl:

I have not taken this Hop on and Off Bus Tour, but it could be a very good way to see the city during a 9 hour layover. You will need to take a taxi from the airport to Bayside and return.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Miami/Big-B ... MIAHOHO/TR

Wear cool clothing and shorts.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
jdb

Re: Hop On; Hop Off bus tour

Post by jdb »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Carl:

I have not taken this Hop on and Off Bus Tour, but it could be a very good way to see the city during a 9 hour layover. You will need to take a taxi from the airport to Bayside and return.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Miami/Big-B ... MIAHOHO/TR

Wear cool clothing and shorts.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Good point Taylor. But they could take the MetroRail from airport to downtown government center station and the MetroMover to Bayside station. Would be easy and fun.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

I second jdb. Head to Lincoln Road on South Beach and just wander around, get something to eat, sit on a bench, whatever. Plenty to do from there. 25 min from the airport in a cab.
FredCouples

Post by FredCouples »

jdb wrote:Grab a taxi. Tell them to take you to South Beach. Spend a few hours strolling Ocean Drive and dining/drinking in one of the outdoor terrace restaurants. That is what tourists do. Enjoy.
This.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I don't know if this is still available, but if you don't want to leave the airport and want to relax, the MIA Airport Hotel in Terminal E used to offer a day pass for $8 to their rooftop pool and workout facilities. It's a great place to unwind....bring a bathing suit. If I recall I think you could get food there as well. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business ... 01/348362/