Costco:is it worth it for just two people?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Costco:is it worth it for just two people?

Post by stoptothink »

Tycoon wrote:
lightheir wrote:I'll differ from the other responses above. Costco was WAYYYY overkill for my 2-person family before a kid, and even with a kid, it's wayyyy overkill for a 3-person family. And I eat a lot!

Remember that every single non-produce item at costco (and the majority of their meat produce) is sold in fairly large quantities. Ok for bulk things, but in reality, you will find that you can actually beat the Costco price on most of their items just by buying things on sale at the local grocery or other store - and not buy megacartloads of them either.

I had a membership, tried to make it work for a year, but it was too much excess. By a huge margin.
This has been our experience.
Mine as well. I did the comparison for two years and there is not a single thing outside of gas that I could not get cheaper from another retailer. In many cases the food (which is almost all that I would buy) was significantly more expensive per serving than my local grocer and you have no choice in volume. Pretty much everything they sell is high quality and the customer service/warranties are hard to beat, but financially it was not worth it for my family. Not to mention, it is hard to make it out of there without purchasing something (a whole lot of something) you didn't go in needing.
VictoriaF

Re: Nope

Post by VictoriaF »

davebarnes wrote:We just don't buy enough items in HUGE sizes.
Not everything in Costco is in HUGE sizes.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Yes a 'destination'. And I forgot the seasonal garden centre! Oh and glasses and hearing aids. And... they just got Apple products!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

My wife and I have been Costco members for years. We rarely buy food or grocery store items there. Most of our purchases are prescriptions and OTC medicines, gas, electronics like GPS or computer, tires, occasionally clothing items and eyeglasses. I think they have a great business model and have always been pleased with their service. They tend to have a limited selection within a product line but what they have is very good quality. I use AMEX CC which gives me 3% off gas. The gas discount more than pays our membership and without that, I am not sure I would be a member.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

With the nearest store that I know of a four hundred mile round trip, definitely not worthwhile for me.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Yes - for my wife and I -

1. There is a very convenient COSTCO within about 2 miles of our house. It is almost as convenient as the nearby grocery stores.
2. Some food items are both a bargain (price) and things that fit well into my eating pattern. These include 3 lb bags of walnuts and almonds, 10 pound box (2 bags) of regular oatmeal, dozen quart containers of Soy milk, 3 lb. bag bananas, fresh strawberries, frozen salmon burgers, 3 -5 lb. bags, 1.5 lb mixed salad greens, 7 oz. cans tuna, raisins, dried plums, craisins, peanuts in the shell, natural peanut butter, and similar items.
3. Shoes. About a year ago, I noticed bargains on brand name shoes/boots. The brand name one are only there for a very short period. I bought snow boots, jogging shoes. I also bought very inexpensive (but nice) Costco brand athletic shoes (I paid 19.99, but they are now only 17.99). These Costco brand athletic shoes are there all the time.
4. If I go during a weekday, the free samples are enough for a meal!
5. I stopped eating pizza and hot dogs, but a slice of pizza and/or large hot dog at the retail counter are really inexpensive.
6. Vitamins, supplements, etc. are low cost. I get Calcium+Vit D and multivitamins. Large bottles and low price.

While some items are just too big for 1 or 2 people, some items happen to be more convenient in large boxes/containers.

We also have the Costco/American express and my wife tracks the rebate/rewards.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dm200 wrote:1. There is a very convenient COSTCO within about 2 miles of our house. It is almost as convenient as the nearby grocery stores.
Are you going to the one in Pentagon City? If yes, how are the selection and parking there? I am now using a suburban Costco but will be moving to Arlington soon.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Just got back from Costco. Signed up for the executive membership and the AMEX card.

We bought some cold water lobster tails. I never see cold water tails anywhere around here. Had to have some La Brea rosemary olive oil bread to go with the tails. Also got some prime rib eyes for the grill this weekend.
Going back for a set of tires before we leave for the road trip.

Thanks for all the pointers !
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

We are retired and three miles from Costco and Kroger. We shop the sales at Kroger and Costco still works out for us. Rib eye an NY strip steaks and all pork products are always cheaper at Kroger when on sale, but tenderloin, flank steak, and top round roast are always cheaper at Costco as Kroger never puts these items on sale.

We particularly like Costco's frozen vacuum packed individual portions of Sockeye salmon, halibut, mahi-mahi, wahoo, Atlantic salmon, and barramundi. It's way fresher than fresh and lasts half of forever. We only eat Gulf of Mexico shrimp which Kroger never sells. It's less than half the mail order price when Costco has it in stock.

Costco vanilla ice cream is the best on earth, and Costco is the only place left to still be selling full half gallons. I go through one full gallon every summer.

Costco jeans are the absolute cheapest around and are superb quality.

I haven't had a $1.50 hot dog in ages. I try to hit Costco right around 1 PM, and two laps around the store and I'm full on freebies. On Saturdays one lap suffices.

I find checkout amazingly quick considering the volume of stuff they move.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

fishnskiguy wrote: Costco jeans are the absolute cheapest around and are superb quality.
Ah, yes, the jeans. My uniform for all seasons for the past umpteen years includes Gloria Vanderbilt jeans from Costco. Wore them to work just about everyday. I always have 3-4 brand new pairs of jeans in waiting ... labels still on. One dresser drawer filled with jeans now in use. Storage box in closet contains jeans that have gotten shabby but can be worn for dirty work. So much more economical than buying the same jeans at a department store.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Love Costco. I have been a member since 1991 and the Price Club days. When I moved from Northern Virginia to Madison Wi there were only two things I missed--my wife (who joined me three years later) and Costco, which showed up in near by Middleton. On the other hand I can't forgive them for switching from Coke to Pepsi in the food court. I do really like the key lime pie.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

DW and I have shopped at Costco for a couple of years, now, following several years of shopping at Sam's. We are convinced that shopping at either place would allow a couple to save money, as long as one plans ahead, and exercises budgetary discipline. For a number of reasons, I prefer Costco, by far the most important being it's the Kirkland brand tuna. Can't explain it but I could eat canned tuna every day, as long as the quality is high and I've got mayo and some good crusty bread on hand. If Kirkland tuna was the only thing they sold there, I'd patronize the place. You simply won't find a better canned tuna product around, unless there's some erotic foreign brand that I've not stumbled across. And, get this, the Kirkland can is a full 7 ounces like in the good old days. And don't you worry; no signs of mercury poisoning yet. Hmmm. Thinking I'm gonna have a tuna sandwich right now. Wonder of one can be addicted to mercury?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Austintatious wrote:You simply won't find a better canned tuna product around, unless there's some erotic foreign brand that I've not stumbled across.
If you find erotic foreign tuna please let us know.

Victoria
Toons

Post by Toons »

Definitely worth it.My spouse and I are members of Sams club.The quality of merchandise ,gas for vehicles : coupled with pricing easily pays for membership and more over time. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
prudent

Post by prudent »

Wow, I would not eat that much tuna. The FDA suggests only 16.4 oz of LIGHT tuna per week, and only 5.6 oz per week of albacore tuna.

Only one data point but it is first hand. A college friend - a very bright guy - ate only tuna for lunch and dinner (if he was eating at home) for three years. He definitely got mercury poisoning but refuses to be tested. Lost his job, lives on SS disability in a Section 8 apartment. Migraines, tremors, irritability, nervous, terrible memory - not even the same person today.
denovo

Post by denovo »

So my impression on some Costco deals.

1. Tires- Not the best deals in town, but you're probably getting a better deal than the average consumer. There are discount tire dealers like America's Tire/Discount Tire that are a better deal than Costco.
2. Electronics- NOT A FAN AT ALL. They carry crappy HP products for laptops and desktops. Deals are usually only as good as Amazon , and usually not as well.
3. Meat- Very good deals. Not a concern that Costco generally sells in large volume, since you can always toss the surplus in the freezer.
4. Produce- Good deals, but for one person who even eats fruits and vegetables regularly, things will go bad before you can finish them off.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
dm200

Post by dm200 »

VictoriaF wrote:
dm200 wrote:1. There is a very convenient COSTCO within about 2 miles of our house. It is almost as convenient as the nearby grocery stores.
Are you going to the one in Pentagon City? If yes, how are the selection and parking there? I am now using a suburban Costco but will be moving to Arlington soon.

Victoria
Yes - Pentagon City. Parking is free for 2 hours - and you need to get the ticket validated when you leave Costco and you must show your receipt that you bought something. The parking area is a bit hectic, but there is usually a space when I go. If there is no space on the surface lot near the Costco (there are other establishments in the same area), then you have to go in the parking ramp - which can be a real pain to get your stuff back. BUT - that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

I can't compare to other Costco stores, since I almost always go to Pentagon City. I think some of the others may be larger - but I don't know.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

prudent wrote:Wow, I would not eat that much tuna. The FDA suggests only 16.4 oz of LIGHT tuna per week, and only 5.6 oz per week of albacore tuna.

Only one data point but it is first hand. A college friend - a very bright guy - ate only tuna for lunch and dinner (if he was eating at home) for three years. He definitely got mercury poisoning but refuses to be tested. Lost his job, lives on SS disability in a Section 8 apartment. Migraines, tremors, irritability, nervous, terrible memory - not even the same person today.
Well, I might have exaggerated the extent of my canned tuna habit just a tad, being quite aware that the high mercury levels in those upper-food-chain fish is a very serious health issue. But I really could eat it every day. And what they're putting in those Kirkland cans is the best around, no kidding.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

VictoriaF wrote:
Austintatious wrote:You simply won't find a better canned tuna product around, unless there's some erotic foreign brand that I've not stumbled across.

Victoria
Not to worry, Victoria. I always share the special finds with my friends, those hot stock tips, for example.
island

Post by island »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Even erotic domestic tuna would be a find. :D
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I just do not understand why people like Costco so much (feel better than at Walmart???). Similar products can be bought at Kroger and Walmart. When the first Costco opened in our city early this year, my wife got a discounted membership. The bargain she likes most is the bottled water. Since the Costco is 20 miles away, I just do not see the value of buying a case of bottled water by burning so much gas.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

mbres60 wrote:If you are close enough getting gas there (assuming they have a gas station as not all do) can put you ahead. We don't buy too much (although do indulge in all the free samples :D ). Mostly we buy toilet paper, paper towels and a few other items. It lasts a long time. We often walk in after buying gas and purchase nothing but just get free samples of the food. My dh bought a pair of their Kirkland sneakers. After 11 months they were ripping. He has never had a pair that didn't last years. They took it back with no problem. You don't need the receipt because they can look up what you bought with your membership card. He then went and bought another pair. (If this doesn't last much longer he will then buy another brand elsewhere).
Walking in for free samples...this is why I might CANCEL my membership there. Nothing is more annoying than the clogged isles with people stopping to "sample" the food.
island

Post by island »

BogleBoogie wrote:
mbres60 wrote:If you are close enough getting gas there (assuming they have a gas station as not all do) can put you ahead. We don't buy too much (although do indulge in all the free samples :D ). Mostly we buy toilet paper, paper towels and a few other items. It lasts a long time. We often walk in after buying gas and purchase nothing but just get free samples of the food. My dh bought a pair of their Kirkland sneakers. After 11 months they were ripping. He has never had a pair that didn't last years. They took it back with no problem. You don't need the receipt because they can look up what you bought with your membership card. He then went and bought another pair. (If this doesn't last much longer he will then buy another brand elsewhere).
Walking in for free samples...this is why I might CANCEL my membership there. Nothing is more annoying than the clogged isles with people stopping to "sample" the food.
OMG that is so true!!!
I hope u people are kidding about going there to make a meal out of the samples. That's just sad And the traffic jam is a pita. Only thing worse are the people who insist on pushing their cart by standing on the side of it rather than behind it! What the heck is that about? :oops:
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

I found it to not be the most pleasant experience, extremely crowed ( Saturday's especially ) and you feel "obligated" to buy things just to justify the parking hassle. I've found that by being a diligent shopper that I can match or beat prices for similar goods I need/want elsewhere. I've shopped Costco online ( pay a small surcharge for being a non-member) on a few occasions, and have had a good experience, the main attraction being the generous return policy, which is great for items like monitors. Find a friend/co-worker who has a membership and go with them when you feel the need.
corner559

Post by corner559 »

I've got a membership just for me, and I go once a month to stock up on stuff. I love it, and it's WELL worth the cost of membership.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

My wife wanted a membership just for cat litter, so we are trying out this year. Just the 2 of us and a herd of animals (4 cats and a dog). We buy very few things there: cat litter, 24 bottle pack of Mexican Coke, her electric toothbrush refills, two pack of agave syrup, and her makeup remover. We don't do packaged meals (I cook from scratch) and I've been the primary shopper for long enough to know that some of the prices can be as cheap at the local stores when on sale (except that litter and Mexican Coke!).

Whether it's worth it depends on your needs and lifestyle. The savings we get out of the litter pays for itself, but without that, based on how we shop for fresh ingredients nor want a closet packed to the ceiling with toilet paper and paper towels it would be a little overkill.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I forgot to mention one of my most favorite Costco features - for most of the year they have couches or recliners for sale that I can enjoy and watch the parade of humanity while DW does the serious shopping. And if I'm lucky, I can rest with a food sample snack as a bonus!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

We're members and love the products. The store is located way out in the burbs, so we don't go often.

I think we'd get more benefit out of Amazon Prime honestly.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

flyingaway wrote:I just do not understand why people like Costco so much (feel better than at Walmart???). Similar products can be bought at Kroger and Walmart. When the first Costco opened in our city early this year, my wife got a discounted membership. The bargain she likes most is the bottled water. Since the Costco is 20 miles away, I just do not see the value of buying a case of bottled water by burning so much gas.
Driving so far to purchase one item like that would, indeed, be of negative value. But we've found that with a bit of planning for the trip and accomplishing multiple purposes whenever possible, it becomes more economical. Combine that with "buying in bulk" that a Costco or Sam's affords, when practical, and a mindful effort to avoid impulse buying, and you'll save money.
Last edited by Austintatious on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
logicteach

Post by logicteach »

If you take any OTC meds, you should check it out. I save enough on my antihistamine to pay for the membership each year. I'm a single woman, so I don't buy a ton of produce, etc., there but I do buy paper goods (for myself and elderly parent), canned tomatoes, canned mushrooms, olive oil, and a few other things. I think it's well worth my membership although you do have to exercise some self-discipline to avoid "Costco fever."
hucards

Post by hucards »

Yes it is worth it. We don't make up for the membership in bulk savings but the meat quality alone makes the membership worth it.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Another service Costco provides is the Hearing Aid Center. We have not used it, but my MIL recently told us that her doctor recommended she get a hearing aid, which we think is a good idea, so we stopped by the Center to inquire about the process and cost. The employee told a few horror stories about what some customers had paid elsewhere for hearing aids ($4,000-$7,000) while theirs seem to top out at about $2,000.

We'll be finding out what others charge because her location and driving desires won't make buying at Costco possible, but it does look like a good place to buy hearing aids.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
agent13x

Post by agent13x »

BigFoot48 wrote:Another service Costco provides is the Hearing Aid Center. We have not used it, but my MIL recently told us that her doctor recommended she get a hearing aid, which we think is a good idea, so we stopped by the Center to inquire about the process and cost. The employee told a few horror stories about what some customers had paid elsewhere for hearing aids ($4,000-$7,000) while theirs seem to top out at about $2,000.

We'll be finding out what others charge because her location and driving desires won't make buying at Costco possible, but it does look like a good place to buy hearing aids.
For the record, hearing aids can vary quite a bit by size and functions. Mine were in the $4-6k range but I checked out the ones at costco and sam's and they're not even close to being the same thing.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

My husband and I love Costco. When I enter the membership fee in Quicken, I categorize it as Entertainment. :D

It's the only place we buy gas. The area is always clean, the pumps always work and the receipt always prints.

Years ago, just before my husband started traveling more for business, he bought small and large Kirkland brand suitcases. They have held up very well!

I'm typing this on my Toshiba laptop computer which I bought from Costco. I've run into a couple of issues which necessitated me calling Costco customer support. Both times they had to get Toshiba involved. Both times the problem was solved with no cost to me.

I usually research things to death before I purchase, but I bought a small set of speakers on a Christmas special without researching. The sound quality was not good. Costco took them back, no question, no restocking fee.

It's always on the list of places we go the day after Thanksgiving. For some reason, the one closest to us is not overrun with shoppers on that day. You're given one of their Costco cookbooks as you leave the store. I love free things.

You have to be careful when you compare their prices to Sam's Club. We buy Babybel cheeses from Costco. We saw packages of Babybel cheeses for less at Sam's Club. But the packages also weighed less at Sam's Club.

No, we don't buy the mega size packages of food. There's only the two of us. But we have a large freezer so that holds frozen pizzas, frozen shrimp, etc. which we do buy at Costco.

Almost forgot - my eyeglasses came from Costco. Very reasonable price, quality product. And I ordered my check blanks from Costco.

We do get our money's worth from our membership and our Costco American Express card. But, even if we didn't, it's a small expense and we just love browsing and eating the $1.50 Polish sausages and pop!
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

fishnskiguy wrote: Costco vanilla ice cream is the best on earth, and Costco is the only place left to still be selling full half gallons. I go through one full gallon every summer.
Chris
Wow ... you have remarkable self control !

I go through a half-gallon in a week.
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Depends on what and how much you buy. In my experience their customer service is excellent. You can sign up for 1 year. If you don't find it worthwhile after 11 months, you can cancel and ask for your membership fee back. So there's really no risk to you.
William Million

Post by William Million »

Costco is OK, but not for me.

I seem to get similar prices buying from Trader Joes and local supermarket on sale. The local Costco is too far, and I never like buying larger quantities than I need (fear of obesity and limited storage issues at home).
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

ClevrChico wrote:We're members and love the products. The store is located way out in the burbs, so we don't go often.

Amazon prime >>> Costco for me

The time savings from avoiding trips to stores for specific household items is unbelievable whereas Costco shopping saved me nothing and created so much more waste and excess.

Fewer purchases of smaller items and number in higher quality has been the way to go for us. Unfortunately for us Costco encouraged the reverse of this.
anncatchingup

Post by anncatchingup »

GerryL wrote:
fishnskiguy wrote: Costco jeans are the absolute cheapest around and are superb quality.
Ah, yes, the jeans. My uniform for all seasons for the past umpteen years includes Gloria Vanderbilt jeans from Costco. Wore them to work just about everyday. I always have 3-4 brand new pairs of jeans in waiting ... labels still on. One dresser drawer filled with jeans now in use. Storage box in closet contains jeans that have gotten shabby but can be worn for dirty work. So much more economical than buying the same jeans at a department store.
Others have already mentioned many of the reasons why my husband and I have belonged to Costco for years. However, I did want to comment on the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I discovered that Costco carried a larger range of sizes on these jeans online than were found in the store. So I bought several colors online in my size that I couldn't find in the store. Now if I can't find what I want in the store, I look online. :happy

I love Costco.

Ann
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

yes, it is.
sunnyd

Post by sunnyd »

lightheir wrote:
ClevrChico wrote:We're members and love the products. The store is located way out in the burbs, so we don't go often.

Amazon prime >>> Costco for me

The time savings from avoiding trips to stores for specific household items is unbelievable whereas Costco shopping saved me nothing and created so much more waste and excess.

Fewer purchases of smaller items and number in higher quality has been the way to go for us. Unfortunately for us Costco encouraged the reverse of this.

THIS.

Amazon has so much more value to me than Cost-so-so. An infinitely greater selection of products, fast shipping, and competitive prices. Costco might be useful to those with large families but for a family of 3, economy-size portions of everything are a waste. Plus, you don't always save that much buying in bulk at Costco. The per-unit price is generally about the same as Target and Walmart, and for groceries more than other private label chains like Trader Joe's and Aldi.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

William Million wrote:Costco is OK, but not for me.

I seem to get similar prices buying from Trader Joes and local supermarket on sale. The local Costco is too far, and I never like buying larger quantities than I need (fear of obesity and limited storage issues at home).
yes - for some (perhaps many) grocery items, specials/deals/coupons my wife finds are often better than Costco, so it really makes sense to evaluate and compare. Costco also has "paperless" coupons (actually discounts) that often tilt in favor of Costco. For example, Kellogg's Raisin Bran (already very inexpensive per pound) was much less expensive at Costco.

I go to Trader Joe's occasionally. Most of what I would buy there is more expensive than either Costco or supermarket chain. Much of the time, though, cold breakfast cereals that I buy are less expensive, such as the Trader Joe brand shredded wheat, high bran cereal, and "Cherios". Trader Joe's also often has some very inexpensive wine. [I do not have, nor do I want, the ability to 'enjoy' and 'appreciate' the better/best wine]
jdb

Post by jdb »

As recent empty nesters after 30 years of kids at home we dropped our Costco membership and decided to buy at locally owned shops to extent possible We are buying vegetables and fruits at the weekend nearby farmers market. Fresh bread at the local bakery where they make it each morning. Fish at the local shop where they get it delivered each day. Wines at the local small family owned wine shop. Hardware and such at local small hardware instead of big box. Prices may be a little higher than Costco and other big box stores but may actually save money by avoiding impulse purchases, always was hard to leave Costco without buying stuff didn't know we needed. But we still use Amazon for books and CVS for drugstore stuff and grocery store for basics, old habits hard to break.
Last edited by jdb on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikep

Post by mikep »

johnep wrote:My wife and I have been Costco members for years. We rarely buy food or grocery store items there. Most of our purchases are prescriptions and OTC medicines, gas, electronics like GPS or computer, tires, occasionally clothing items and eyeglasses. I think they have a great business model and have always been pleased with their service. They tend to have a limited selection within a product line but what they have is very good quality. I use AMEX CC which gives me 3% off gas. The gas discount more than pays our membership and without that, I am not sure I would be a member.
You should look into sam's 5% mastercard in that case.
I like Costco but not their AMEX. I don't like Sams much but like their mastercard... so I have both.
I use fidelity amex which gets me 2% back instead of Costco's only amex which gives me 1% in costco. Fidelity amex combined with their executive membership its like 4% off at Costco which more than pays the $110 annual fee.
Oh, and for gas I use the sam's mastercard which pays 5% which beats Costco's amex 3%. Costco's gas always has 5 cars in line anyway, with the sam's card its much cheaper to get gas OTHER than Costco. :)
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I was just there yesterday. Noon on Sunday is not a good time to go. Totally agree with the free samples causing aisle blockage. I don't find any great bargains there and I believe their meat no better than most local supermarkets. I am hooked on the Loin Lamb chops though. Their no-grain dog food is a great buy and I save multiples of the membership fee just on that.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

pshonore wrote:I was just there yesterday. Noon on Sunday is not a good time to go. Totally agree with the free samples causing aisle blockage. I don't find any great bargains there and I believe their meat no better than most local supermarkets. I am hooked on the Loin Lamb chops though. Their no-grain dog food is a great buy and I save multiples of the membership fee just on that.
Your local supermarkets sell USDA Prime meats? Which supermarkets are those? I've rarely seen USDA Choice at some grocery stores.

We love Costco and have shopped there regularly since it was just my wife and I. Now with 3 kids it makes even more sense. We save a lot of money on gas and diapers. We have found their produce quality to be excellent. Have never purchased any electronics, but do have a living room set, king mattress set, and dining room table and chairs with which we've been exceptionally pleased, and for the quality were significantly less than nearby furniture stores.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Erwin007 wrote:
pshonore wrote:I was just there yesterday. Noon on Sunday is not a good time to go. Totally agree with the free samples causing aisle blockage. I don't find any great bargains there and I believe their meat no better than most local supermarkets. I am hooked on the Loin Lamb chops though. Their no-grain dog food is a great buy and I save multiples of the membership fee just on that.
Your local supermarkets sell USDA Prime meats? Which supermarkets are those? I've rarely seen USDA Choice at some grocery stores.

We love Costco and have shopped there regularly since it was just my wife and I. Now with 3 kids it makes even more sense. We save a lot of money on gas and diapers. We have found their produce quality to be excellent. Have never purchased any electronics, but do have a living room set, king mattress set, and dining room table and chairs with which we've been exceptionally pleased, and for the quality were significantly less than nearby furniture stores.
I can only say I bought some thin-sliced veal in Costco a few months that was tougher than most. Now I'm not sure if veal qualifies for USDA Prime since it is slaughtered at a relatively young age and certainly not fed the same. I try to buy a lot of meat at Stew Leonard's (Fairfield County CT)
jdb

Post by jdb »

Erwin007 wrote:[quote="pshonorequote]

Your local supermarkets sell USDA Prime meats? Which supermarkets are those? I've rarely seen USDA Choice .
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
As long time Costco members always liked their meats but with all due respect the meat at Whole Foods is as good if not better, especially the dry aged steaks. But yes, they are more expensive.
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Just me and my husband, and we think it's worth it. The meats and organics great, the money back points pay for the AmEx and we've saved enough on rental cars to more than pay for it. One thing we have found: we don't go every week, and we go with a list of needs, of course with the samples you almost always walk out with more than you anticipated but we limit to one extra item, we also try to go about once a month - so it's like anything else good or bad in moderation it's fine - worth our while, for sure.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

If you're considering joining, you're probably in the early part of retirement where horsing around huge packages off of stacks into cart, out of cart onto check out belt, out of cart into car, out of car into house is not a problem. We enjoyed the recreational aspects of first Price Club, then, less satisfactorily, Costco, in our early retirement years. But as we aged, the above horsing around and, especially, the enormous carts which were impossible for us to turn around if we wanted to, caused us to give up our Costco membership. Now, we joke, Costco comes to *us* in a brown truck (Amazon). Very satisfactory; we even buy some grocery items from them.