Ideas for thanking a doctor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

Ideas for thanking a doctor

Post by rjbraun »

There seem to be a lot of doctors on this site, so I figure I've got the right audience here. I saw Dr. Sandeep Jauhar's book "Doctored" at the bookstore recently and then read his WSJ piece yesterday (actually, maybe the release date was today).

I guess I've been fortunate, as I've had some positive experiences with doctors. I'm also fortunate in that I'm in generally excellent health, so I'm talking more about just appreciating when the doctor seems to spend perhaps a bit more time to provide care and / or seems to take my questions or concerns seriously and shows care.

I think I always thank the doctor and am polite, etc., but is there something I can do beyond that? In one case I wrote a thank you note with a musical picture on the card, since I knew my doctor played the cello. In this instance I know less about the doctor but want to thank him for having been attentive to the issue at hand (both figuratively and literally, as it turns out,). I was thinking of maybe buying a modest box of sweets or something, but who knows if he likes candy. I suppose he could give them away if he didn't want them. Any other ideas? I just think spending more than $20 or so might be a bit much, given the context of things

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s- ... S=Doctored
burgrat

Re: Ideas for thanking a doctor

Post by burgrat »

I'm not a "real doctor", I'm an orthodontist :D and I have received a simple thank you card from time to time and that really means a lot. Just the simple act of them taking the time to thank me is very heartfelt. Any gifts, like chocolates, etc., I will share with my staff. For me, any more than that is excessive.

*Now as a Boglehead, I think the ultimate gift you can give a doctor is this (shout out to EmergDoc!):
http://www.amazon.com/The-White-Coat-In ... 383&sr=1-1
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I leave a box of chocolates at the office at Christmas time, for the doctors and staff, even though only one of the doctors is my doctor, they are a close practice.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Pay your bill? :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

cheese_breath wrote:Pay your bill? :wink:
Yup, that's a given :beer
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Is the doctor in a larger practice or a hospital system where there are "patient ratings" (increasingly common, I think)?

You could ask, and if so, ask if he/his office can send you a link, or otherwise help you to find that, so you can post your good experience, give the number ratings, and also some comments that make it come/stay alive (pun intended).

I think that as with most things/places, those who have complaints are more likely to take the time to post these things, so we always try to leave credit where credit is due.
(We also are among those who will complain if there is something else to say, as should be clear from other posts on this Forum.)

As for a gift to doctors and staff, this may sound old-fashioned, but given the health orientation, have you considered arranging a delivery of a nice fruit basket, instead of candy?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Angst

Post by Angst »

My father was a well known, nationally prominent physician in his field and I remember well that nothing seemed to create more of a commotion and an impression that some exotic food gift, whether it was live lobsters, gourmet steaks, obscure whiskey... Cuban cigars... well, that's not quite food, but what clearly affected him the most was nothing edible at all, but it was the most simple, sincere, personal notes and stories written by patients or grateful family members. I say forget the candy - just write a note and tell him or her what you want to say. And I expect nothing will make you feel better either.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ResearchMed wrote:Is the doctor in a larger practice or a hospital system where there are "patient ratings" (increasingly common, I think)?

You could ask, and if so, ask if he/his office can send you a link, or otherwise help you to find that, so you can post your good experience, give the number ratings, and also some comments that make it come/stay alive (pun intended).

I think that as with most things/places, those who have complaints are more likely to take the time to post these things, so we always try to leave credit where credit is due.
(We also are among those who will complain if there is something else to say, as should be clear from other posts on this Forum.)

As for a gift to doctors and staff, this may sound old-fashioned, but given the health orientation, have you considered arranging a delivery of a nice fruit basket, instead of candy?

RM
Yes - he's part of a practice affiliated with a major teaching hospital. Posting an online positive review is a great idea!

I agree, candy isn't the greatest gift, and I do have ambivalence about giving that. And fruit is a fine idea, but it can just be hard to find or ensure that the fruit is the appropriate ripeness and whatnot. I just hate giving mediocre fruit (or similar), on top of paying a good amount for it - yes, I am a value-oriented BH :happy But I agree, something more healthy would be a better idea. Maybe nuts ...?
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Angst wrote:My father was a well known, nationally prominent physician in his field and I remember well that nothing seemed to create more of a commotion and an impression that some exotic food gift, whether it was live lobsters, gourmet steaks, obscure whiskey... Cuban cigars... well, that's not quite food, but what clearly affected him the most was nothing edible at all, but it was the most simple, sincere, personal notes and stories written by patients or grateful family members. I say forget the candy - just write a note and tell him or her what you want to say. And I expect nothing will make you feel better either.
Thanks - sometimes the simplest solution is indeed the best
DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor »

I'm a physician. Thank you notes from patients are few and far between (at least in my setting). I keep all of them and they truly mean a lot. Just a thank you note itself is a very nice gesture. Anything more not necessary. But something edible that could be shared with the staff is always appreciated.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rjbraun wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:Is the doctor in a larger practice or a hospital system where there are "patient ratings" (increasingly common, I think)?

RM
Yes - he's part of a practice affiliated with a major teaching hospital. Posting an online positive review is a great idea!

I agree, candy isn't the greatest gift, and I do have ambivalence about giving that. And fruit is a fine idea, but it can just be hard to find or ensure that the fruit is the appropriate ripeness and whatnot. I just hate giving mediocre fruit (or similar), on top of paying a good amount for it - yes, I am a value-oriented BH :happy But I agree, something more healthy would be a better idea. Maybe nuts ...?
Yes, it would be nuts to give candy to health professionals :oops: :D

There are gift services that deliver fruit baskets, and some are generally known for high quality, proper freshness/ripeness/etc. But they cost more.
If there is a specialty grocery store nearby, you might check with them, or even stop by and pick out something.
I agree it is tricky to be sure that what is delivered is the quality you'd want.

DH (who is also in a health-related field) used to send fruit baskets rather frequently when there were people who had really been helpful in coordinating projects, and I was wary at first, but the thanks that he frequently received really surprised me.

And when a basket is sent to an office, as opposed to one specific person, there's also less concern about "what if they hate apples or pears and only eat plums" or whatever.

ALSO, the "ratings" are not only for "online view". In some cases (many? all?) they are also used by "management" in these facilities, although I'm not privy to which exact outcomes might depend upon ratings/comments.

RM
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

We have sent a fruit basket on a number of occasions.

Sam
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You could also just tell them directly at the end of an appointment with a brief but heartfelt thanks - i.e. "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate the care you give me and the manner in which you approach your profession. I know it is a challenging job but I really appreciate it".
6miths

Post by 6miths »

DFWinvestor wrote:I'm a physician. Thank you notes from patients are few and far between (at least in my setting). I keep all of them and they truly mean a lot. Just a thank you note itself is a very nice gesture. Anything more not necessary. But something edible that could be shared with the staff is always appreciated.
Same here. After 30 years of practice, I still have every card, note and baby picture that any patient ever gave me. They are treasured especially if they include a written note. I don't drink so bottles of wine or alcohol went to the nurses or support staff and treats were always shared. One of my favourite things was when patients or students would give me a couple bottles or even a case of Diet Coke, having noticed that it was my poison of choice in clinic or on-call. A simple and heart-felt thank you in the verbal form was also very nice. It always seemed to me that some patients seemed to have a sixth sense and these thank yous were much more likely to come when I was dragging a bit.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Post by 6miths »

And I do agree about the online ratings. Most MDs I know never, ever look at these because they are too depressing. People in general tend to put much more negative value on the bad and not enough positive on the good in life, so these can be pretty toxic. Especially since they are more likely to be filled out by people with a bone to pick. So a nice review might be good but I'm just saying don't expect your doctor to actually see it. On the other hand, writing a glowing letter to the hospital administration (and copying it to the doctor), that would be a great thank you!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

My wife is a doctor. I asked her.

She likes cards but doesn't really want or like personal gifts as we have too much clutter already. However, gift baskets for the staff or that can be passed on through to the staff are always doubly appreciated. Makes my wife feel good and makes her look good with the staff when she passes things on. There are a lot of people working hard behind the scenes at clinics and hospitals who can use the appreciation.
camden

Post by camden »

The next time you are enjoying a vacation or a gathering with your family, send your MD a picture with a note saying something along the order of "thanks for the part you play in keeping me healthy to enjoy this".

I guarantee that will have an impact, and be greatly appreciated. Expressions of gratitude are rare, welcome, and remembered.
Gauss44

Post by Gauss44 »

I was considering gifting my doctor expensive chocolates ($200 a box which is less than 10% of my total bill). Anyone consider that a good/bad idea? (She helped me with a sports injury, and due to her good work, I performed very well. Champagne truffles might be appropriate.)
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

kenschmidt wrote:You could also just tell them directly at the end of an appointment with a brief but heartfelt thanks - i.e. "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate the care you give me and the manner in which you approach your profession. I know it is a challenging job but I really appreciate it".
I agree with Ken. You would be surprised how infrequently people just stop and say "Hey, thanks." or something to that effect. No card or candy/etc. is necessary. That said, any food gift that can be given to office staff will pay dividends in a huge way, and remembered forever, holiday time is good. Save the card for when he diagnoses your aneurysm, then as others have said here, it will be cherished forever.
I'm an emergency physician for reference, and a relatively new one at that, so maybe my advice is little a rough around the edges.
wander

Post by wander »

I think an engraved crystal plate with a stand and your kind words would be nice.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Over the years I've gotten a lot of things. None of it was necessary and as mentioned by others just saying thanks or a card is great. Now if you for some reason want to go way beyond then I'll suggest something original or creative. Most of the time if u bring cookies or candies it gets passed on to the staff. For instance one patient went out of her way to get me the same cake from the same baker that was used when pres bush's daughter got married. One guy made me this walking stick and obviously put a lot of time into it( I run just fine). Another lady went Alaska and brought back fresh sealed halibut. Now I appreciate just a card or thanks but I can't help but remember the folks I mentioned.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

My dad was a doctor. He liked to get candy, but he got a lot of it. He also kept the cards he got on a cork board by his desk, which for an unsentimental man must have meant he enjoyed them very much.
celia

Post by celia »

ResearchMed wrote: Yes, it would be nuts to give candy to health professionals :oops: :D
How about an assortment of nuts? For sanitary reason, it should have each serving individually wrapped or something to that effect. :D
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Have everything prepared to keep your apt < 15 mins.
I know nothing!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

celia wrote:
ResearchMed wrote: Yes, it would be nuts to give candy to health professionals :oops: :D
How about an assortment of nuts? For sanitary reason, it should have each serving individually wrapped or something to that effect. :D
That's a REALLY good idea, especially in a location where there are more likely to be sick people, and in this day and age, there are plenty of sick people encountered in everyday life anyway.
(It's OT to comment on sick people who don't stay home from work while they are contagious... so I won't.)

Even if they keep the assortment "behind scenes", the staff are constantly handling papers (and doorknobs) that have also been handled by the patients.

[Hmmm... maybe color-coordinated tiny containers of Purell or something.]

RM
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

I received a very nice thank you letter via hospital administration (sent directly to them rather than to myself) this past year, and I doubt I'll forget that patient's gesture anytime soon. Can't knock a pat on the back that your boss sees! As appropriate as healthy snacks would seem, sweets and other "unhealthy" treats are almost always gone by the next day...and quite frankly, I enjoy guilty pleasures as much as anyone who doesn't have to advocate a healthy diet and exercise on a daily basis.

At an academic medical center, your physician probably has some type of restriction on what constitutes an "acceptable" gift from a patient--more likely than not, it means that you shouldn't give them something of substantial monetary value, like sports tickets, etc. a heartfelt note and a treat to share with the staff would be more than enough in any case.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

You really don't need to send a gift of any sort. I will get cards and emails from patients expressing gratitude and that is more than enough. Kind words go a long way, and nothing more is necessary.

If there has been something extraordinary (a prolonged illness of a loved one where you feel your doctor has made a big difference, for example), a heartfelt note is always welcome. I've had patients and families donate to charity on my behalf in cases where something with an intense emotional bond has developed.

We used to get a lot of chocolates during the holidays but I've always half-joked about that; some of our office staff is somewhat overweight and/or has diabetes, so I usually take those chocolates over to the hospital. But then I always wonder how many nurses are diabetic! It is interesting--and welcome to me--that if someone is actually sending a holiday gift, nuts, fruit baskets, or anything more healthy than sweets has become more common.

I'm sure that if you appreciate your doctor, he/she appreciates you.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Agree with the personal note. After thousands of babies delivered, I still recall and appreciate those who took the time to express their thanks personally. And sometimes it was in cases where not everything turned out so well -- on several of those occasions, gruff ole' doc here was reduced to tears.

If you feel the need to give a material gift, a restaurant gift card is never declined!
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Gauss44 wrote:I was considering gifting my doctor expensive chocolates ($200 a box which is less than 10% of my total bill). Anyone consider that a good/bad idea? (She helped me with a sports injury, and due to her good work, I performed very well. Champagne truffles might be appropriate.)
How about this? I am trying to resist the urge to order it for myself this very minute: http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/Chocolate_ ... f_Elegance

As to the folks sending lobsters, often the poor things are shipped alive, so if your doc is a vegetarian, she or he will have to run down to the ocean and release them :D
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Once gave a doctor a thank you card attached to something like this:

At the time (~2000), local PBS station was featuring a glass artist. Liked his work and ordered from his studio.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Gauss44

Post by Gauss44 »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
Gauss44 wrote:I was considering gifting my doctor expensive chocolates ($200 a box which is less than 10% of my total bill). Anyone consider that a good/bad idea? (She helped me with a sports injury, and due to her good work, I performed very well. Champagne truffles might be appropriate.)
How about this? I am trying to resist the urge to order it for myself this very minute: http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/Chocolate_ ... f_Elegance

As to the folks sending lobsters, often the poor things are shipped alive, so if your doc is a vegetarian, she or he will have to run down to the ocean and release them :D
Yeah, this sort of thing.
travellight

Post by travellight »

The last time my mother had surgery (just a laparoscopic cholecystectomy), I gave the doctor a card with a restaurant gift card.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ram

Post by ram »

My employer has a strict policy that a physician can accept gifts only upto $100 per year from all sources. In practical terms it means I only accept homemade jams, home baked bread and scarves knitted by the patients themselves only.
I return event tickets, restaurant cards etc.
Handwritten thank you cards are always appreciated
Ram
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Would a moderately priced bottle of wine be inappropriate? Even if they are not a drinker, they may be an entertainer. I also like the idea of giving sweets, which could be shared among the office staff.

I am ashamed to say, I never even thought of doing something like that. I have had many very good experiences but I guess I always thought that I always SHOULD have a good experience and that's part of them doing their job. Shame on me.

Cosmo
lexgi

Post by lexgi »

I would agree with the thank you note and filling out a survey for the physician if you receive one in the mail. These surveys on "patient satisfaction" are becoming more important to our hospital administrators. Gifts are very kind gestures, but certainly not needed.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

Both verbal and written thank yous are much appreciated. I have a folder labeled "nice stuff" with years worth of notes. This thread made me remember one particularly poignant note from a patient who also saw a consulting physician who had died from suicide. She wanted to be sure her other docs knew how much she appreciated us. Very touching.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
sambb

Post by sambb »

I think a thank you note is best. My family member's urologist charges less to see my relative for an emergency on the weekend, than a plumber would charge to fix a pipe on the weekend. So, thanking the doctor and their hospital for saving your life or helping you be healthy is a nice gesture. I don't think material objects matter too much to these noble professionals.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

kenschmidt wrote:You could also just tell them directly at the end of an appointment with a brief but heartfelt thanks - i.e. "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate the care you give me and the manner in which you approach your profession. I know it is a challenging job but I really appreciate it".
That's a nicely expressed sentiment and would work well in this instance. Basically what I'm seeing the doctor for is no big deal, but it's been kind of a nuisance of an injury, to me. My doctor is an orthopedic surgeon, and I've been impressed with the time and attention he's given me, admittedly probably in part because my injury is kind of a big deal to me (I know, I kind of contradicted myself just now). Anyway, I just really appreciate the more personal care he's shown, and I think what you wrote summarizes well the way I feel - thanks!
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

I was so pleased with the results of my hip replacement that I sent the doctor a postcard of the peak that we climbed on the one year anniversary of the operation. I thanked him for making it possible for me to be with my sons and wife on top of Clouds Peak that day.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

texasdiver wrote:My wife is a doctor. I asked her.

She likes cards but doesn't really want or like personal gifts as we have too much clutter already. However, gift baskets for the staff or that can be passed on through to the staff are always doubly appreciated. Makes my wife feel good and makes her look good with the staff when she passes things on. There are a lot of people working hard behind the scenes at clinics and hospitals who can use the appreciation.
Yup, that's a good point. The doctor I'm seeing is a specialist, and I don't visit him on a regular basis. In fact, I've only been to his office three times, though given the nature of my injury I'll probably go a few more times and then hopefully that will be it, at least for quite a while. (Note: strictly speaking, I guess I've been to his group practice more than three times as I actually saw one his colleagues for another medical issue a few years back, who subsequently left the practice, at which time I was referred to this current doctor.)

My exchanges with the office staff have been limited and all neutral to positive, but I kind of sense from their interactions with other patients that it can be a tough job. So, if I could give a modest food-type gift for the office, I'd be happy to do that
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

camden wrote:The next time you are enjoying a vacation or a gathering with your family, send your MD a picture with a note saying something along the order of "thanks for the part you play in keeping me healthy to enjoy this".

I guarantee that will have an impact, and be greatly appreciated. Expressions of gratitude are rare, welcome, and remembered.
That's a nice idea. I guess the idea in this case would be to send him a recording of me playing the piano, but I've got a lot more work to do before I'll be at a performance level that will even come close to being recording-worthy :(
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

My physician gets a box of Pro V1 golf balls and his assistant a restaurant gift certificate.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ResearchMed wrote:
celia wrote:
That's a REALLY good idea, especially in a location where there are more likely to be sick people, and in this day and age, there are plenty of sick people encountered in everyday life anyway.
(It's OT to comment on sick people who don't stay home from work while they are contagious... so I won't.)

Even if they keep the assortment "behind scenes", the staff are constantly handling papers (and doorknobs) that have also been handled by the patients.

RM
Okay, RM, I'm completely confused now. I assumed that you were having fun with me earlier and knew full well that I meant giving my doctor nuts -- as in cashews, almonds, etc. -- right? :?

Anyway, I'm a germ freak, which is one of a bunch of reasons why I'm not in the medical field even though medicine also fascinates me on a certain level (but so do a lot of other things, I guess), so I guess any gift I potentially give needs to be in individual portion sizes, is that what you're advising?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rjbraun wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
celia wrote:

RM
Okay, RM, I'm completely confused now. I assumed that you were having fun with me earlier and knew full well that I meant giving my doctor nuts -- as in cashews, almonds, etc. -- right? :?

Anyway, I'm a germ freak, which is one of a bunch of reasons why I'm not in the medical field even though medicine also fascinates me on a certain level (but so do a lot of other things, I guess), so I guess any gift I potentially give needs to be in individual portion sizes, is that what you're advising?
No need to be confused. Yes, I understood :happy

And I really thought the "individually packaged" nuts were an excellent idea; I hadn't thought about that.

My comment about the Purell simply followed from the "germs on hands from communal paperwork and doorknobs", etc. - and it was a joke.
The office might want to provide Purell or other sanitizers, but I can't imagine handing a favored medical provider a box of the stuff.
We've started traveling with little containers - and wipes - but don't consider them gift ideas. Yet.

I was reacting to the idea of not dipping assorted hands into communal containers of unwrapped food items. So mini-choc bars (or Hershey's kisses, etc.) would fit better than boxes of unwrapped chocolates in office/etc., settings.

RM
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Cosmo wrote:Would a moderately priced bottle of wine be inappropriate? Even if they are not a drinker, they may be an entertainer. I also like the idea of giving sweets, which could be shared among the office staff.

I am ashamed to say, I never even thought of doing something like that. I have had many very good experiences but I guess I always thought that I always SHOULD have a good experience and that's part of them doing their job. Shame on me.

Cosmo
I enjoy wine and have become a bit more knowledgeable over the years. That said, I don't know this doctor so well and have no idea if he drinks or enjoys wine. In general I kind of think of wine as tricky as a gift, if you don't know the recipient well. Also, I tend to buy inexpensive wines ($10-ish price range). I guess I've had some wines in the mid to upper teens that I enjoyed, but I kind of feel that anything I gave as a gift to my doctor should probably be more in the $25-30 range. In that case I'm less likely to know personally about the quality, and then I feel like I need to rely on ratings or the wine store to vouch for the wine. Not the end of the world but just sub-optimal, in my opinion.

It's good that you've had such positive experiences with your doctors - never too late to take steps to provide additional appreciation in the future, if you were to feel so inclined! :D
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Just enjoyed a bottle of a nice burgundy wine with our family tonight - a physician colleague gave it to me after I fixed his torn aorta on my birthday this winter - him doing well and being back to work was probably the best birthday gift I have gotten in a long time...but I agree, a letter or a card with personal thoughts are by far the best gifts and keeps me going with what we have to deal with at work ... a thank you (in any way it is communicated) goes a long way...
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

ResearchMed wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
celia wrote:

RM

No need to be confused. Yes, I understood :happy

And I really thought the "individually packaged" nuts were an excellent idea; I hadn't thought about that.

My comment about the Purell simply followed from the "germs on hands from communal paperwork and doorknobs", etc. - and it was a joke.
The office might want to provide Purell or other sanitizers, but I can't imagine handing a favored medical provider a box of the stuff.
We've started traveling with little containers - and wipes - but don't consider them gift ideas. Yet.

I was reacting to the idea of not dipping assorted hands into communal containers of unwrapped food items. So mini-choc bars (or Hershey's kisses, etc.) would fit better than boxes of unwrapped chocolates in office/etc., settings.

RM
Thanks for clarifying, RM :sharebeer

As a full-fledged germ freak I just love those little Purell containers! And my sister, the doctor, knows that so well that she's even been known to give me little containers for Christmas as stocking stuffers :)
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I just wanted it thank everyone for all the helpful feedback and suggestions. I got some great ideas for my current situation as well as useful suggestions for possible future situations. Thanks very much! I'm still certainly interested if others have ideas or thoughts on this and don't mean to close out this thread or anything -- just want to acknowledge the responses :happy
Rosshill19

Post by Rosshill19 »

A simple and sincere thank you note is sufficient. I would retain the notes with the patients' medical records and with each return exam it would reminisce fond memories but now with the electronic medical records I take them home for storage as displaying the cards and notes is a breech of HIPAA medical confidentiality.
Over the years I have received bottles of Dom Perignon, a side of fresh venison (out of hunting season), wild turkeys full of buckshot, and more cucumbers, tomatoes and okra than my family could use.
With many patients being eternally disgruntled sending a kind and positive comment to one of the rating blogs as Yelp, Rate MDs, Vitals.com, Dr. Score or Dr. Finder may be a nice gesture.