vacation destinations similar to Savannah or Charleston SC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
utvolfan

vacation destinations similar to Savannah or Charleston SC

Post by utvolfan »

Due to illness my daughter and I had to cancel a trip to Destin last year (have never been there--it was for a wedding). The airline will allow us to use our tickets to fly anywhere in the continental US as long as we use them before Thanksgiving and of course pay the difference if there is any, but that should be minimal.
We would like to go some place we have never been, and for me that is California to see the Pacific, maybe San Diego area or Laguna Beach. BUT we only will have 4 total days and we would basically lose one day in travelling back to the Eastern part of the US. I'm not sure if we would have the time I would really like to have to drive up the PCH etc. But Laguna Beach does sound enticing.
Looking at the end of October/beginning of November and am now considering Florida or other warmer locations on the gulf.
We love Charleston SC and Savannah, and would love to visit another beach area with that same vibe. Any suggestions for locations that are similar and would have nice weather that time of the year? Want to be able to be on the beach but also have access to good food and quaint shopping. Am open to any suggestions! Thanks.
209south

Re: vacation destinations similar to Savannah or Charleston

Post by 209south »

Not an expert on that region but I thought Amelia Island had a similar vibe to Kiawah Island...we visited each several years ago. Perhaps more pricey but a wonderful spot north of Savannah is Palmetto Bluff, where weekly rentals are available.
Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 »

Sarasota/Long Boat Key area comes to mind.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

New Orleans would be a nice trip. A lot to see and do. Good food. Interesting history.
Watty

Post by Watty »

utvolfan wrote:We love Charleston SC and Savannah, and would love to visit another beach area with that same vibe
Saint Augustine would be worth looking at. In addition to the historic areas there are lots of beaches real close by.

From there you could take a day trip to tour Cape Canaveral too if that is something that would appeal to you.
davebarnes

No water, but interesting

Post by davebarnes »

Santa Fe, NM
very artsy
good food (not New Orleans, but good)
food: http://eater.com/archives/2014/08/27/sa ... chiles.php
Last edited by davebarnes on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A nerd living in Denver
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Savannah and Charleston are pretty unique. You could try St. Simons Island GA. I'm a also a big fan of NO. Great walking city, southern charm, and great food.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I stayed in Laguna Beach earlier this year. I took the red-eye flight back east, so you could save a day of travel by travelling at night.

Laguna Beach was nothing special to me. It is where gazillionaires apparently live and has an art festival. May I ask why it appeared on your radar? Why does it sound enticing?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

New Orleans
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Been to Key West? It's one of my favorite places.
tj

Post by tj »

As someone who lives within 10 miles of Laguna Beach, it's really not that exciting of a place. If you're after a beach vacation, there has to be somewhere closer to you with warmer water.
Gill

Post by Gill »

climber2020 wrote:Been to Key West? It's one of my favorite places.
They want good food and quaint shopping. Not much good food in Key West and the shopping is mostly t-shirts. Very pricey also.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Gill wrote:
They want good food and quaint shopping. Not much good food in Key West and the shopping is mostly t-shirts. Very pricey also.
Gill
Have to agree. As much as I love Key West it is not at all similar to Savannah or Charleston. I would say there is a restaurant there that is one of my all time favorites - Blue Heaven. Unique atmosphere, and they have a fresh yellow tail dish that's sensational.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Charleston and Savannah are unique cities. I do not think you will anything similar on East Coast, especially in October. Why not make a return visit to one of these?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

For people who like Savannah and Charleston, St. Simons Island or Jekyl Island seem like a good choice. Smaller and less urban, more quaint, good food, good people.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

JonnyDVM wrote:
Gill wrote:
Gill
Have to agree. As much as I love Key West it is not at all similar to Savannah or Charleston. I would say there is a restaurant there that is one of my all time favorites - Blue Heaven. Unique atmosphere, and they have a fresh yellow tail dish that's sensational.
Key West is one of my favorite places on earth. When my Wife and I are there, we don't want to come home. It's a different attitude down there. It is touristy, though. The fine restaurants are there If you know where to look. I agree, it is not at all similar to Charleston or Savannah.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Statch

Post by Statch »

St. Simons Island is a great place to visit. Much smaller and a lot less to do then Savannah or Charleston, but Savannah is an easy day drive north up I-95 (about 1.5 hours away) and Amelia Island (also a great destination) is about the same distance south on I-95. So you could take the day trips, then relax on the island in the evening. Lots of restaurants and quaint shops. Jekyll Island is much less developed than St. Simons...great for biking, beach walking, fishing off the pier (all of which you can also do on St. Simons) but way fewer restaurants and shops. I'd stay on St. Simons near the Village, and drive over to Jekyll one day.

That's a perfect time of year for that area unless you want to be sure it's warm enough to swim. If that's the case, you'd probably want to go to southern Florida.
neutics

Post by neutics »

Colonial Williamsburg, VA is worth a drive...not sure about a flight.

St. Augustine, FL has a similar vibe to Charleston and Savannah
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Yet another vote for St. Augustine. We just returned from a week there. Nice beach, great restaurants!
CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 »

More than Laguna Beach or San Diego, if you're looking for a neat area that is somewhat more like a Charleston or Savannah and on the West Coast, I'd consider Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel, which are just south of San Francisco. They're Victorian towns located on a beautiful part of the coast, and you have Big Sur and Hearst Castle not far off. Obviously there is in the aquarium in Monterey, as well.

It's easily one of my favorite areas to visit in California and more historic and laid back than will be Laguna Beach or San Diego.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

In Florida you could go to the Ft. Meyers/Cape Coral areas - and visit Sanibel and Captiva Islands while there, too. And if you wanted to travel a bit further south while there you could visit Naples and further on is the southwestern part of the Everglades region.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
tj

Post by tj »

CMartel2 wrote:More than Laguna Beach or San Diego, if you're looking for a neat area that is somewhat more like a Charleston or Savannah and on the West Coast, I'd consider Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel, which are just south of San Francisco. They're Victorian towns located on a beautiful part of the coast, and you have Big Sur and Hearst Castle not far off. Obviously there is in the aquarium in Monterey, as well.

It's easily one of my favorite areas to visit in California and more historic and laid back than will be Laguna Beach or San Diego.

Carmel is a good 2 hours south of SF. Beautiful place though.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

utvolfan wrote:Due to illness my daughter and I had to cancel a trip to Destin last year (have never been there--it was for a wedding). The airline will allow us to use our tickets to fly anywhere in the continental US as long as we use them before Thanksgiving and of course pay the difference if there is any, but that should be minimal.
We would like to go some place we have never been, and for me that is California to see the Pacific, maybe San Diego area or Laguna Beach. BUT we only will have 4 total days and we would basically lose one day in travelling back to the Eastern part of the US. I'm not sure if we would have the time I would really like to have to drive up the PCH etc. But Laguna Beach does sound enticing.
Looking at the end of October/beginning of November and am now considering Florida or other warmer locations on the gulf.
We love Charleston SC and Savannah, and would love to visit another beach area with that same vibe. Any suggestions for locations that are similar and would have nice weather that time of the year? Want to be able to be on the beach but also have access to good food and quaint shopping. Am open to any suggestions! Thanks.
My favorite beach community in the San Diego area is Encinitas. If you are looking at Florida, the Key West area may work for you. Another possibility would be to travel to the Caribbean on your own nickel from Miami if you can fly to Miami free. There are many gorgeous destinations in the Caribbean.
Topic Author
utvolfan

Post by utvolfan »

Lots of great suggestions! I'm ready to do some research and welcome any other ideas. Thanks to all who replied!
GaryEsq

Post by GaryEsq »

If you are considering Florida, I'd strongly recommend Naples. We bought a place there 10 years ago and I still look forward to our bi-monthly trips down. Great restaurants, beautiful beaches and a nice upscale downtown area. Also it is only about 35 miles south of Ft. Myers airport which I find very convenient. Plus if you are traveling before Thanksgiving it will be even more relaxing because you'll miss all the snowbirds!! If you need any specifics just shoot me an email.
Important rule of retirement..... Don't buy a couch.
Topic Author
utvolfan

Post by utvolfan »

To those of you that have offered suggestions, thank you! I have been doing some research and what we have decided is Coronado, California! We will get to spend time on the PCH exploring a few of the beaches north of there (just not as far north as Laguna), and also see San Diego. (and temps should still be in the 70's!) The rest of the time we can enjoy Coronado --looking forward to seeing the beautiful sunsets over the Pacific! If anyone has suggestions for must-sees or must-dos in this area, please let me know!! Again, thanks!
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

For four days, I would do 1 night in Portsmouth, NH and the rest in Portland, ME. Portland especially is great for food, like Charleston. It's out of season though, which is good, but cold.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Maybe Asheville, NC.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Looks like the decision is already made, but I'd throw the Outer Banks of NC into this mix. My wife and I spent a very relaxing long Thanksgiving weekend on Ocracoke Island one year. Other good choices in this area are Holden Beach and Oak Island (if you don't like Ferries).
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers