Rain Jacket Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MichDad

Rain Jacket Recommendations

Post by MichDad »

A couple of years ago, my wife and I purchased REI Kimtah eVent "waterproof" and breathable jackets for a backpacking trip we did along the El Camino trail in Spain. It rained for 2.5 of our 5 day hike and we were both very, very wet despite those supposedly high-quality "waterproof" rain jackets. Fortunately, REI took them back and gave us full refunds.

We're now in the market for new waterproof rain shells with hoods. I've heard good things about Eastern Mountain Sports' Thunderhead jacket. Have any Bogleheads had experience with this jacket in the rain?

What other reasonably-priced waterproof, breathable rain shells with hoods do you recommend? I looked at the Gore Tex Pro jackets but they're extremely expensive.

Thank you.

MichDad

Edited to specify that we're looking for hooded rain jackets and to fix one typographical error.
Last edited by MichDad on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Re: Rain Jacket Recommendations

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I'm pretty sure that rain jackets are one of those "pick two of three qualities" items, with the qualities being affordable, waterproof, and breathable.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I have a newer Marmot set (jacket and full zip pants) that seem to work OK. About $100 each.
The problem is when you are zipped up and exerting and therefore sweating; the cooler rain causes condensation inside your jacket, so you get damp that way. Not an easy problem to fix.

REI does have a good info sheet (online) explaining different layer systems (2, 2-1/2, 3)...
Attempted new signature...
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

My lightweight nylon Columbia "Storm Dry" works very well.

GoreTex is the gold standard.
CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 »

I spent a lot of time researching this and have done really well with the Mountain Hardwear Dry Q Elites. You can find them at reasonable prices on Sierra Trading Post, along with some other newer generation rain coats by Columbia and some other brands. They're definitely more breatheable than Goretex and do a really nice job shielding you from the rain. Get one with pit zips to improve breatheability.

Before moving, I was doing a lot of hiking in the Appalachians in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, which as anyone will tell you who has been both hot and humid (high dew point) and get lots of rain. The MH did quite well for hiking, but no mistake, they're not a breatheable softshell (which will leave you soaked). You won't get wet, though. Make sure you figure out whether anyjacket you're buying has a hood fit for wearing a helmet v. just for your bare head. It willl fit better that way.

I'm currently somewhere a bit less humid, and I love hiking in the rain and don't get wet. You may need to treat any jacket with some Nikwax or other waterproofing agent.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Columbia Sportswear carries rainwear.
They have outlets stores.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

As a Fly Fisherman I have spent many rainy days afield.

Frogg Togg Products are Super and a Great Deal!

http://www.froggtoggs.com/
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

mlipps wrote:I'm pretty sure that rain jackets are one of those "pick two of three qualities" items, with the qualities being affordable, waterproof, and breathable.
I went hiking with a friend who leads hiking groups for the Sierra Club in the hills and mountains outside Portland, Oregon. He said if you're exerting yourself, it's actually pick one of two: waterproof or breathable.

Some are better than others at creating the right balance, and the good ones aren't cheap.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Cut-Throat wrote:As a Fly Fisherman I have spent many rainy days afield.

I agree. Used them for motorcycling for years.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sometimes umbrellas are great backpacking companions.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I bought a North Face Hyvent DT rain jacket years ago. It's super light weight and cool, cheap ($100) and has kept me dry. I haven't tested it out in an all day down poor but have been mountain biking with it where conditions got really wet. I've also been happy with North Face waterproof cross country shoes that I have.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

And they are very light weight, which is great for back packing. They are not super durable, but easily fixed with some duct tape.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Dutch wrote:

And they are very light weight, which is great for back packing. They are not super durable, but easily fixed with some duct tape.
They have many different grades of quality!.... Some are super durable!
ixohoxi

Post by ixohoxi »

+1 for EMS Thunderhead. It doesn't leak and has ventilation zippers.
Henceforth, content shall be my aim, and anticipation my joy. -Alfred Billings Street
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

Steelersfan wrote:
mlipps wrote:I'm pretty sure that rain jackets are one of those "pick two of three qualities" items, with the qualities being affordable, waterproof, and breathable.
I went hiking with a friend who leads hiking groups for the Sierra Club in the hills and mountains outside Portland, Oregon. He said if you're exerting yourself, it's actually pick one of two: waterproof or breathable.

Some are better than others at creating the right balance, and the good ones aren't cheap.
I agree with this. Waterproof and breathable are on a sliding scale, an increase to one creates a decrease in the other. As you increase price you can get 'more' of each, but it's really a case of finding the right product for the activity you're doing.

Trail running in a light drizzle -> really breathable
Day hike with minimal chance of rain -> lightweight
Watching a sporting event in a downpour -> max waterproof (no need for breathability)
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

MichDad wrote:A couple of years ago, my wife and I purchased REI Kimtah eVent "waterproof" and breathable jackets for a backpacking trip we did along the El Camino trail in Spain. It rained for 2.5 of our 5 day hike and we were both very, very wet despite those supposedly high-quality "waterproof" rain jackets. Fortunately, REI took them back and gave us full refunds.
It sounds like the durable water repellent (DWR) coating might have failed. Question: was the garment seam sealed and did the rain penetrate the fabric? Or did the outer layer become soaked, stop breathing, and you became wet from sweat condensing inside the jacket? Before shopping, take a look at these articles which will explain how technical fabrics e.g. Gore-Tex, eVent etc., work and the differences between them.

http://blistergearreview.com/features/outerwear-101

http://blistergearreview.com/recommende ... igm-shifts

Me personally I wear Arcteryx and Marmot and have been pretty happy with their performance.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

If you want the rain to never have a chance, go to an Army/Navy store. Don't even ask about breathability, though.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I was just looking for a rain jacket and saved this link:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-e ... in-jacket/

They recommend the $169 LL Bean Stowaway Jacket with Gore-Tex and the $99 Marmot PreCip (sometimes on sale for as low as $55).

I also came across the $100-120 Carhartt Men's Huron Jacket

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... tId=230765

I haven't decided yet, but eliminated a lot of other choices (too expensive, too warm, etc.), but now I've got some more suggestions from this thread to consider.

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz ... _of_choice
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

MichDad wrote:What other reasonably-priced waterproof, breathable rain shells with hoods do you recommend? I looked at the Gore Tex Pro jackets but they're extremely expensive.
Check out Lands' End for men and women.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I have this jacket and just used it on a 10 day trip in europe where it rained for much of the time. It kept me dry while walking for hours in the rain, and on some hikes with on and off rain. I also use it to bike in the rain and for snowboarding, and I've never noticed a leak. I have had it less than a year, so I can't speak about durability yet.

My wife has a very similar jacket made by northface where the inner layer is peeling and flaking off after about 6 years.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Nothing like buying good raingear as insurance that if you pack it you won't need it.
Ldevelopment

Post by Ldevelopment »

What about a rain jacket from Northface? I have really liked their soft shell jackets
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Was searching for same recently and found this website informative. It recommended the GoLite Poncho/Tarp as the best of the worst.

The Search for the Holy Grail: Waterproof Breathable Rain Gear:
http://popupbackpacker.com/the-search-f ... rain-gear/
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
davebarnes

My wife swears by her

Post by davebarnes »

http://www.columbia.com/women-jacketsvests-rainjackets/

She has had it for 10+ years.
Has worked for her on multiple continents.
She raves about it.
A nerd living in Denver
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

In many years (two decades now) of serious hiking and backpacking, I have never found the 'perfect' waterproof breathable rain gear. I also have not been willing to pay upwards of $300 per piece so who knows what is out there in $750 suit range. Not my style regardless.

The reality is if you are hiking at speed, uphill, with a pack, then even in sub 40 degree weather you are going to sweat and wet from the inside out. You know that is true because it occurs even if you are wearing t-shirts and shorts in 50 degree dry weather; and it occurs while x-country skiing or snowshoeing on a cold, dry 20 degree day: your base layers will wet and your midlayers will start to damp. Unless you don't exert yourself (relative to your capability) you're going to get wet.

Wicking layers next to your skin help a great deal but by the time they run into any kind of waterproof outer layer the breathing will, relatively speaking, stop.

Many ultralight packers long ago gave up on 'waterproof breathable' and use some combination of umbrellas and/or ponchos. However ultralighters are willing to tolerate a huge amount of discomfort in the interests of saving weight, even half an ounce. They allow their legs and feet to get wet and hike in them at 3-4 mph in all kinds of weather, basically until it stops raining. They keep a dry pair of socks and their sleeping gear stays dry, so even if it rains for days in a row the will sleep dryish and warmish, and not die. That is all that matters to them. They are not comfortable. If you ask them honestly they should admit they are frankly miserable quite often.

If I'm going for speed and the forecast looks pretty dry I take the ultralight approach with just an emergency poncho. But knowing your capabilities and experience level is important, not to mention the trail and chance of rescue.

If the forecast looks more risky I'll take something more traditional - I have two WPB jackets, and one pair of waterproofish pants. Nothing I'd stake my life on, but I cut my mileage in half and generally plan to spend more hours in camp if the weather turns. In other words I build in time where I don't actually have to hike in the rain.

If the forecast looks really dicey I'll just cancel the trip. I like hiking, not torturing myself. Thru-hikers don't have that option.

As pointed out above it's good to have a warm, not breathable but totally waterproof set for something like watching the kids' soccer game in the rain. I need to get one of those, and a good set of galoshes as well.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Backpacking in the Smokies in the rain with a pack...summer time....it's great to have an extra length poncho that will cover your pack....that way you and your stuff arrive mostly OK....you're going to be sweat drenched anyway.

That same poncho won't work in the winter...east coast...6000 feet.... as the wind will blow it sideways giving no coverage. You need a heavy duty rain parka...I have 10-15 year old North Face that works. I'm seeing a lot of heavy duty and pricey Mountain Hardware parkas in the back country. When my old one no longer does the job, I'll look hard at Mountain Hardware. A lightweight rain jacket probably wouldn't be a good choice.

In the early 70s in the wet season in Panama, everyone in my group had army ponchos. We were always on the go and once we were dripping wet, everyone packed the poncho and just got wet. Our trip leader....an ancient looking old soldier (He was probably in his 30s) wore a garment that he never took off. He always looked comfortable and "dry". It was an old army raincoat. A great idea for someone on a budget.

rob

Post by rob »

I love these (might be hard to get in the US) - have sat watching motor racing in absolute hurican conditions and they work great.... Breathable but not really for action sports. http://store.drizabone.com.au/riding-coat-black
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I've had a few from EMS, Northface, Marmot, and Patagonia. I found that nothing helped breath-ability more than having pit zips and wearing a wicking base layer. My EMS version lasted the shortest amount of time, and was least expensive. The inside turned yellow (it was white when new) and peeled faster than the other rain jackets. The other brands were comparable in terms of function and comfort once I made the decision to get jackets that had pit zips and wear the proper base layer. I did not find Gore-Tex in the Marmot rain jacket better than Patagonia's version, the only difference I felt in those coats was fit. The price was similar, about $200.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

rob wrote:I love these (might be hard to get in the US) - have sat watching motor racing in absolute hurican conditions and they work great.... Breathable but not really for action sports. http://store.drizabone.com.au/riding-coat-black
I've got something similar, it's called a drovers coat or duster. They work great, but not certain they would be good hiking rain gear as they are made from oilcloth: heavy/stiff cotton/linen cloth, impregnated with oil/wax. Okay for moderate activity, but wouldn't want to work hard/long in one. Vents under cape help to dissipate heat/sweat. A tall split up the back (tail to waist) allows wear while riding a horse: keeps both rider and saddle dry.

Bought mine from a vendor at a "Cheyenne Frontier Days" rodeo. For other styles in same material, search for "oilcloth coat". Can even find products made to keep pooch warm/dry.

Wore mine to a snowy Christmas parade at Estes Park CO (elevation 7500'); coupled with a wide-brimmed oilcloth hat and thermal underwear/gloves, stayed warm and dry. It's most frequent annual use is out blowing snow. To avoid overheating, I don't wear thermal underwear while blowing snow.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.