Fostering Change in HOA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Fostering Change in HOA

Post by DTalos »

The large HOA I am a member of provides cable tv service to all 188 unit owners at a cost of approximately $87,000 per year. I've written the Board and have spoken out at Board meetings proposing that the Board cancel complex wide cable tv service and let each individual homeowner choose what kind of television service they want to have (cable, dsl, satellite dish, nothing, etc). I am opposed to having to pay for a product I might not want or need that is completely optional and can easily be terminated, unlike a pool or tennis court. The Board seems reluctant to cancel complex wide cable tv service. How would you all feel if you don't like or watch cable tv, but had to pay for it? This HOA Board has also sued the city it is located in and passed a special assessment of $500 in an emergency executive meeting without surveying the homeowners. They later realized per state law, they can only assess 5% of gross budgeted operating expenses, so the amount was reduced to around $198. Of course, with a lawsuit, who knows how long it will go on and what future expenses might be. I've canvassed the common areas several times in an attempt to talk to people and give them copies of letters I've written to the HOA, but most people seem disinterested or aloof in HOA issues. Only about 5% of the membership shows up at Board meetings. I even proposed the distribution of a homeowner directory, but the few people in the audience didn't like that suggestion, fearing privacy concerns. If people don't want to have anything to do with each other and take a non chalant attitude toward big HOA issues and expenses but gripe about pool rules not being enforced, then how is a Board supposed to govern effectively and how can members effect change?
johnubc

Re: Fostering Change in HOA

Post by johnubc »

The only way to get change at an HOA is to get on the board and start to make changes. Being a board member is a thankless non paying position that brings a lot of grief with it. Dealing with people over fence types, property disputes and generic complaining gets real old real fast. People call the board for all kinds of reasons - my electric is out, it did not rain, the neighbors weed seeds blow in my yard, etc.

I agree with you on the cable issue - but the cable company might not want to run individual lines into each unit at this point (additional equipment) so you may be stuck for the life of the contract.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

How would I feel? Don't know. I wouldn't have joined a HOA that was like that.

HOA's are supposed to take care of those types of things, that's why people join them. You are a sect of person who wants a common area, common pool, common landscape etc... and cable fits in that.

Besides, does your HOA allow dishes to be hung all willy-nilly? You think you'll get 190 people to agree to allow hundreds of dishes and wires to be hung everywhere?

With as much identity thief around you really expect people to be ok with a mass publication of personal information?

You can't foster change when no one wants change. You are in the minority with the cable and something tells me that won't be the only HOA issue you will be on the short end of the stick.

I'm not sure why you are upset. You chose the HOA. You knew exactly what you were in for.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Currently your HOA pays: 188 unit owners at a cost of approximately $87,000 per year.

$87000 / 188 / 12 months = $38.56/month.

Now I don't know if this includes internet, or how many channels you get, but this is a GOOD/GREAT deal per month. I would imagine if you start making waves here you will get outvoted very quickly.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Also, since getting rid of the cable is a change in the status quo, those who enjoy the cable will not want change as their rates will go up. Satellite will not be an alternative for some, because there is nowhere to put an antenna that faces correctly to pick up the satellite. They may want access to common areas to put up dishes, as the association took away their discounted cable. Others will want to regulate where and how satellite dishes are put up. The federal government has limitations on these powers for an association. Dish installers will want a letter from the association that each dish is ok to put up. Generating work you will have to pay for.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

You aren't going to win at this one. Most people want cable TV (I don't). Right now you are helping them pay for their cable TV, and you are in the minority.

Most of the other homeowners would have their bills increase to drop the Cable TV. This is an impossible sell for you.

My advice is to forget it and move on, or Move out of the HOA.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

awval999 wrote:Currently your HOA pays: 188 unit owners at a cost of approximately $87,000 per year.

$87000 / 188 / 12 months = $38.56/month.

Now I don't know if this includes internet, or how many channels you get, but this is a GOOD/GREAT deal per month. I would imagine if you start making waves here you will get outvoted very quickly.
If that calculation is correct, and depending on how many channels you get for that rate, that's a really good deal and I too doubt if you could get a majority of owners to agree to give it up.

I'm on the board of our condo association (a little different but similar). We allow two providers into our buildings and the owners get to choose which one (or none) they sign up for. We would never allow dishes so I doubt if that's going anywhere. A very high percentage of owners have cable. Our rates are double or triple that assumed rate.

Depending on the contract with the cable company, maybe you could petition the board to let owners opt out of cable entirely. The cable company would have to agree to that though.

That would seem to be your best option. The others just aren't going to fly with the board or the other owners.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

As has been mentioned, being a HOA Board member is a thankless job. Each subdivision or similar type HOA has an established set of CCR's and bylaws by which they must operate and under which each homeowner must comply. There is no choice in being or not being a member. The Board must operate by those CCR's and bylaws and homeowners must comply with same. In our particular situation with 162 homeowners, a "special assessment" requires the written approval of 75% of homeowners before it can be implemented. In our case there was a legal method of getting the funding we needed to establish a capital improvement plan, fund, and budget without going through the special assessment formality.

Seek elected membership to the Board and start pulling the rope instead of trying to push it! In the cable situation I think you are pushing it.
Tom D.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Steelersfan wrote:We would never allow dishes so I doubt if that's going anywhere.
By federal law you can't prohibit dishes as long as they are set up in exclusive use areas like balconies. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece ... vices-rule
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

tomd37 wrote: In our particular situation with 162 homeowners, a "special assessment" requires the written approval of 75% of homeowners before it can be implemented.
The need for approval must vary by condo (and maybe state law).

The condo I'm in had a very poor board who thought keeping monthly fees as low as possible was the way to go. But they were so low we had special assessments in the high three digits two year out of three just to have enough money to pay regular monthly bills. No owner vote, just a bill to be paid within two months. Thankfully the board members who thought that way are no longer on the board and we are running with reasonable fees and a good level of reserves.

But we do require a 2/3 vote on certain capital items above a certain threshold, or any change to our CCR's.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

placeholder wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:We would never allow dishes so I doubt if that's going anywhere.
By federal law you can't prohibit dishes as long as they are set up in exclusive use areas like balconies. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece ... vices-rule
That's good to know.

But in our case we don't have balconies and the unit owners just own what's inside their walls. So they would have to be installed on common areas (outside walls or roofs), and that can be prohibited, as we do.

I guess they could install them inside their units and aim them out their window, but that's not likely to be satisfactory.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I agree with just about everybody here. If you want to make a change the first step is to get elected to the board. And once you're on the board, you'll find out pretty quickly that everything isn't as cut and dried as it appears to be. And being on the board won't guarantee you'll actually make any changes. If you have the minority opinion it's still an uphill battle. And if you don't get your way, are you still interested in being on the board?

It's one thing to believe that the board is violating it's mission to act on behalf of the community, but it's a completely different issue to believe that the board is violating your rights as an individual unit owner. By moving to that building/neighborhood and becoming a member of the HOA, you gave up some of your rights to the board.
powermega

Post by powermega »

You're probably in a small minority. I think most residents will be happier with the good deal they're getting for cable TV. Also, your building will look unsightly if there are 50-100 dishes on the roof and sides of the building.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I know it's a great deal, but apparently they have had cable tv in this complex since the early 1990s and since few people attend Board meetings, it's difficult to know how people really think about cable tv. I often read about millions of Americans cutting cable tv service and going to Roku, Apple TV, and other forms of tv service or none at all (just regular antenna). The HOA doesn't allow satellite dishes in common areas, so that eyesore wouldn't be an issue. Not sure if you could get satellite tv with a dish on the inside of the unit.

What do you all think about asking the HOA to let people opt-out of the service. If 177 out of 187 want the service, I think the HOA could still get a good rate from the cable company. I wouldn't ask for or expect a dues decrease. I would be happy with the HOA spending $4000 less per year in expenditures.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Can I ask what the cable service includes? Is it basic cable channels, traditionally like 60-70 channels including broadcast or more than that? Does it include a hd box, or is that separate if you want it, Hbo, etc?

Don't let the hype about people cutting the cord fool you.
In total about 103 million of the 114 U.S. TV homes have some sort of paid cable, satellite, Telco or other service, according to industry data.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... -by-619875

You knew this was a service the HOA provided when your purchased the place , and I doubt going against the grain on a service that 90 percent of Americans use is something that is going to hep you get elected to the Board. If you have other problems about how the HOA is run go for it, but if it's just the cable that is gnawing at you, I would forget it.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I'm the new president of a small HOA. and I agree with others, it is a pain. I wanted to try and make things a bit more 'official', and have our HOA plan for future expenses. You will have some people that dont care, others that think your making wrong decisions, and others think you are trying to self benefit. However, nobody ever wants the responsibility :)

You would need to get the majority of the building on your side, but as others have said, this seems like a stretch.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Poker27,
I have a good idea of what you are going through when, as president, you need to plan for future expenses. We have 162 homes in our subdivision and when I volunteered to join the HOA board in 2008 the then seventeen year old subdivision had no plan or budget for capital improvements needed then and in the future. It took the board almost a full year to engage an engineering firm to review our capital assets and come up with a 30-year capital improvement plan and budget that could be presented to the HOA members.

For seventeen years the previous boards had only looked at current expenses for the annual operation and maintenance of our common grounds and facilities, without looking to the future for much needed significant repairs and replacements. Being limited in the HOA bylaws to a "special assessment" only with the approval of 75% of homeowners, we ended up legally increasing the dues by $10 per month and allocating $9 of that amount to form a separate capital improvement plan and budget for the future. We now have an annual operating budget and a separate annual capital improvement plan and budget. For the past six years we have been able to properly execute that 30-year CIP plan and live within the budget. I am no longer officially on the Board but do continue to receive and monitor monthly financial statements and serve as their "financial advisor" and maintain some type of cohesion between the boards as the members change each year.
Tom D.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

poker27 wrote:I'm the new president of a small HOA. and I agree with others, it is a pain. I wanted to try and make things a bit more 'official', and have our HOA plan for future expenses. You will have some people that dont care, others that think your making wrong decisions, and others think you are trying to self benefit. However, nobody ever wants the responsibility :)

You would need to get the majority of the building on your side, but as others have said, this seems like a stretch.
Make sure your HOA has a reserve study done (required by law) and that they are funding the future liabilities.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

johnubc wrote:
Make sure your HOA has a reserve study done (required by law) and that they are funding the future liabilities.
I think in most states they are not required by law - they certainly aren't in my state.

But they are required if you want someone to be able to get an FHA backed mortgage. FHA won't back a mortgage in a HOA association without one, and they must be updated every few years. All of that can be a pretty expensive proposition.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I'm sure there are people within your HOA who think the money spent on lawn mowing, the pool, maintaining the patio, etc., is a waste.

Why do you think cable tv should be opt-in? How about lawn mowing? Can I opt out of that? I don't create as much garbage as you, why do I have to pay as much? My neighbor Nancy uses ungodly amounts of water, why do I have to subsidize her bill?

You are looking to open a big can of worms here.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Every time I read about hoa, I'm happy I'm not chained down by one
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Every time I read about hoa, I'm happy I'm not chained down by one
I agree, they aren't for everyone. You need to go into one with your eyes open and understand what you're getting into. Too many people don't.

But I don't have to shovel snow, take out garbage, take care of the yard. If the roof leaks or the drive need resurfaced, the condo association takes care of it. We've got a couple of ladies that live here who like to garden, and they keep the plants and flowers and shrubs looking mighty fine, much better than I ever could.

I've got a great location near a business district and rapid transit. I could maybe replicate that part, but not at the price I paid for my condo.
spectec

Post by spectec »

I served on my condo board for most if the time I lived in one. Lots of questions like this arose, especially over things that some residents felt they shouldn't have to pay for because they didn't use them (the pool being the most common, but I'm sure cable would have been a close second if it had been part of the common expenses).

My answer was always the same - 'We had a pool when you moved in here and we will probably have one when you leave. Unless you get yourself and a majority elected to the board who want to do away with it. In that case, I'll be selling, which you are free to do now." Sounds a little anatognistic, but people who buy condos need to fully understand the bargain they are making. As long as there is no bad management or misappropriaton of funds, there's no reason for board members to spend much time countering this type of nonsense.

We would give any homeowner a list of all their fellow condo owners if they desired to start a petition or lobby for some sort of change. Most of the time it came to nothing, because once you had over responsiblity to someone to actually follow through on their complaints, they lose interest. Other than bringing their petty gripes to the homeowners meeting and wasting a lot of time on irrelevancies, they weren't interested in actually doing any heavy lifting. I think in 12-13 years, we did have one or two situations in which the board misread a situation and a decision was overturned by the homeowners. Our boards gladly followed the homeowner's wishes in those cases. So this eperience told me the majority were satisifed with the actions of the board overall.
Last edited by spectec on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Gill

Post by Gill »

You're making all this fuss over $463 a year, which existed and you should have been aware of when you moved in. You're fighting a losing battle. Enjoy the TV!
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

DTalos wrote:Only about 5% of the membership shows up at Board meetings.
That should tell you that a high percentage of the owners are satisfied with the current situation. In our condo association the level is about twice that, but as a board member low attendance tells us that people are OK with our current practices.

You're clearly paddling upstream on this one.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

DTalos,
Have you checked what the monthly fees would be if individuals signed up for cable? Under 39$/month is unheard of and amazingly low. Is there an extra fee for internet? Can you get internet via your phone line or from a noncable provider? Where I live the only internet provider is comcast. You may find you would pay more than 39$/month just for internet.

Don't forget there are additional set up fees when folks get their service turned on. There is likely a large group discount at your complex. Are the buildings even wired in a way that individual service is possible?

I happen to live in an HOA neighborhood. When I moved in I was given a packet of info including another copy of the HOA rules (I got one at the closing, and saw it before I made an offer on my house), and it included a map and names and phone numbers. We also have an email list and can send out community wide emails.

I understand your point about not wanting to pay for the cable you are not using. However, as others are saying, you knew it was included in the fees when you moved in. And it is doubtful you will get the majority to support you on making it individual since it will raise costs for each individual, and I am assuming the majority do have cable and use it. As others mentioned it is like asking to not pay pool or grass fees if you don't use the pool or walk on the grass. The HOA fees are based on everyone paying them regardless of use.

I think the idea of an email list and phone list is a great idea for safety and community reasons. I would suggest you put your efforts there to increase communication. I would double check with the board if such a list exists, and ask permission to contact everyone and ask for them to voluntarily give the information they are willing to share for such a directory or email list. Is there an HOA newsletter now? How do they get news out? We even can email things like lost or found items or pets, as well as several time a year neighborhood get togethers and meetings. We also get emailings of notes from the monthly HOA meetings that everyone is invited to.

Some people absolutely hate HOA neighborhoods. I have mixed feelings. But overall there is much more of a sense of community here than in my old neighborhood. (This is free standing houses in a gated neighborhood with small community spaces and no pool).

Best wishes in sorting this out!
lafder
DreamHigher

Post by DreamHigher »

Me too. When we were shopping for our first house 8 years ago, one of our criteria was not to look for houses with HOA and we found one like that. I have not seen problems that are typically cited as benefits of having a HOA such as uniformity of external upgrades, lawn maintenance, etc. In our community, everybody does a good job of maintaining their lawns and keeps houses well maintained. We avoid monthly/yearly dues, which over the course of a 10 years can amount to several thousands. We may be lucky in this.
Every time I read about hoa, I'm happy I'm not chained down by one
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I think subdivision HOAs are more common when you have common facilities such as pools, pool house, tennis courts, playgrounds, walking trails, large landscapes that require weekly/monthly maintenance, etc. We have more that six acres of common area under the control of our HOA with a $100K annual operating and capital improvements budget.
Tom D.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I understand from the comments that it's probably a losing battle, since I wasn't aware of the fact that despite millions "cutting the cord" there is a huge percentage of homes that still have some sort of paid television service. I don't think the fact that I knew whether cable tv service was in effect when I moved in is relevant because it can easily been terminated, unlike removing or converting the pool, which is an integral part of the community physically. Philosophically, if the HOA provided each unit owner a season pass to an annual event at a cost of $9000 or for that matter monthly passes to use the local rapid transit service and I wasn't interested, I would still be opposed because it's essentially forcing me to buy a product or service that I might not want or need, unlike HOA expenses for water, electricity, gas, plants, etc. $87,000 a year is more than the HOA pays a year for the manger's salary and his lodging. It is more than the HOA's water bill or the electricity bill for the year. I had no idea it cost this amount of money each year, until I looked at the budget. I

Not sure what it would cost for the each individual owner to get cable on his/her own. Perhaps they could get a discounted bundle package if they already have phone service or high speed internet service with the same company. There is ability for each owner physically with the cables to not have service. Why should the HOA be in the TV business? Perhaps the Board members watch cable tv frequently and are biased. I don't need cable tv to keep up with the market and research investments. Maybe a day trader in his/her home office with two screens does. The internet gives me enough information.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

DTalos wrote: Not sure what it would cost for the each individual owner to get cable on his/her own. ...
In my part of the country it would cost a lot more than $38 a month to get any kind of decent cable package.
DTalos wrote: Philosophically, if the HOA provided each unit owner a season pass to an annual event at a cost of $9000 or for that matter monthly passes to use the local rapid transit service and I wasn't interested, I would still be opposed because it's essentially forcing me to buy a product or service that I might not want or need, unlike HOA expenses for water, electricity, gas, plants, etc.
Maybe a day trader in his/her home office with two screens does. The internet gives me enough information.
You remind me of the guy who doesn't want his tax dollars spent on the defense budget (or arts or whatever), only on stuff you agree with. You joined a collective and I think you would be in the vast minority who wants to cut the cable package. Especially with all the issues of not being able to put up dishes.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Angangang

Post by Angangang »

I have served as the president of a small (75 unit) HOA. I agree with all previous posters - much pain and time is spent dealing with what should be non-issues.

Two other issues to consider:

1. When (and not if) someone is foreclosed on, it is difficult if not impossible to secure past due HOA fees. This includes the cable portion. Thus, the other HOA members pay for their maintenance and cable fees. Foreclosures happen across all income brackets and not less often in condos, so this is something to think about. There are ways to minimize HOA losses when they go in arrears, but this is an increasing problem in both low and high end developments.

2. When cable goes out, it is the HOA's duty (real or perceived) to get it working again. Is this a duty anyone wants? I would much rather have the individual homeowners duke it out with the cable company and not be responsible for their cable service too.

Our HOA was considering a joint internet contract much like the cable one in question, but these two points killed the idea.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

DTalos wrote: Not sure what it would cost for the each individual owner to get cable on his/her own. Perhaps they could get a discounted bundle package if they already have phone service or high speed internet service with the same company. There is ability for each owner physically with the cables to not have service. Why should the HOA be in the TV business? Perhaps the Board members watch cable tv frequently and are biased. I don't need cable tv to keep up with the market and research investments. Maybe a day trader in his/her home office with two screens does. The internet gives me enough information.
HOAs provide cable because most owners want cable, and because there's usually a price break for buying in bulk.

As a former board member of my HOA, I concur with the suggestion that if you want to make some changes, you should plan to join the board. There's not usually a long waiting list.

You're not likely to get the other board members to completely dump the cable, but you could lead an effort to get new bids and see if you could get a bundled deal with internet, or even just a better price on the current service.

All of this would require some legwork, of course.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Angangang wrote:When (and not if) someone is foreclosed on, it is difficult if not impossible to secure past due HOA fees.
Depends on state law. PA law has a "6 month rule" that entitles the HOA whatever dues/fees/fines/legal judgements/etc. have been charged to that unit for the 6 months immediately prior to the sale to a new owner (including the bank). The new owner is responsible for paying this. I'm on 2 HOA boards and the larger association has a few foreclosures & short sales. We just recently recouped ~$9k from the sale of one unit because of this law. OTOH, we had to write off ~$13k in bad debt...
tomd37 wrote:I think subdivision HOAs are more common when you have common facilities such as pools, pool house, tennis courts, playgrounds, walking trails, large landscapes that require weekly/monthly maintenance, etc. We have more that six acres of common area under the control of our HOA with a $100K annual operating and capital improvements budget.
Again, depends on the state. PA says (essentially) if you have community owned property, you must have an HOA. Of course there are always exceptions. In the smaller association where I'm on the board we have about 8 acres of mostly woods and the only capital assets are the entrance signs. Operating budget is ~$15k.
spectec

Post by spectec »

An operating budget of $15K?
To maintain 8 acres and two signs?
That's outrageous!

There has to be some fat in that $15K somewhere.

You need to turn the lights out on the signs, except maybe on the weekends.
Don't paint them so often- that would save a bundle.

As for the 8 acres, I'll bet a volunteer brigade of homeowners wold be happy mow the grass and spruce things up rather than pay a landscaper an expensive fee. I'd organize it myself and help with the mowing, but I'm just too busy. I'm sure somebody on the board has time to do this. I know you appreciate my suggestions - they make perfect sense.

(Sorry, just having flashbacks to a time when I served on a HOA board)
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

OP here's an additional website that I've found very helpful - http://www.hoatalk.com - check it out - we live in a small condo complex and can relate to your angst and frustration - here are a few of the ways that we've used to make changes :

(1) Have 3 of the 5 members on the Board collude - this use to be our tactic of choice & our bylaws were ignored so that those 3 were always on the Board :happy
(2) Create a committee to advise the Board to do a specific thing - this tactic naturally doesn't always work :D
(3) Gather a group of like minded residents and ask as a group for a "special" meeting to vote on something - most other residents won't care and won't show up and
so those in the group will vote it in :wink:

:sharebeer
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

spectec wrote:...
It's definitely a pain. Last election we had to canvass door to door to convince 2 people to serve on the board.
ubermax wrote:(3) Gather a group of like minded residents and ask as a group for a "special" meeting to vote on something - most other residents won't care and won't show up and
so those in the group will vote it in :wink:
This is the best approach you list, and it might work if...1) your like minded-group constituted the majority of a quorum at this special meeting, and 2) residents actually get a vote on things of this nature. In both of my associations, the board makes all decision and those decisions are final and binding. Does it work another way?
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Some decisions can be made by a majority of the board, e.g. change to by-laws. Making a change to cable TV provisions would probably fall into this category.

If you can assemble a group like minded folks to attend a board meeting and convince a majority of the board to go your way, that can work. It probably shouldn't, but it could.

But more important decisions must be (typically, it might vary by state) affirmed by a 2/3 vote of all unit owners. Owners who don't vote are considered "no" votes.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Steelersfan wrote:
DTalos wrote:Only about 5% of the membership shows up at Board meetings.
That should tell you that a high percentage of the owners are satisfied with the current situation. In our condo association the level is about twice that, but as a board member low attendance tells us that people are OK with our current practices.

You're clearly paddling upstream on this one.
Although I don't think OP should push this issue, I don't agree that low attendance means people are happy with the Board. I had experience least one board where people hated board practices, but not enough to rebel and cast them out. They knew the Board wasn't managing the funds in the best way, but since most tenants were wealthy enough for it not to hurt them, they didn't care.

Or in other words, telling people, that make around $120,000 per annum that better management could mean their HOA payment could be $50 less a month wasn't something that would make them jump out of their chair.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Kosmo wrote:
It's definitely a pain. Last election we had to canvass door to door to convince 2 people to serve on the board.
As someone who was a constant irritant for an HOA Board and constantly heard the remark, "if you have a problem, why don't you sign up" and "you don't know how much hard work this is" my response was always that I don't agree with their stupid rules and that they would have less work on their hands if they didn't try to measure For Rent signs to see if they were the required 18 inches in width.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

OP , you should thoroughly read your by-laws and also be aware and up to date on HOA regulations that apply to your State - in CT there are specific rules that govern "special" meetings - another tactic is running a survey - prepare a flyer regards the cable deal & stuff boxes - if the results are to your liking approach the Board with the community sentiment.

When you decide to live in a condo you relinquish some flexibility and personal preferences - Board members are volunteers and they are given the job of governing the community - and they have their own opinions on how things should be done - most of our residents just don't want to get involved - we've had two back to back special assessments and there was no resistance , and we have no amenities , and it's not on Connecticut's Gold Coast :happy
spectec

Post by spectec »

denovo wrote:
Kosmo wrote:
As someone who was a constant irritant for an HOA Board and constantly heard the remark, "if you have a problem, why don't you sign up" and "you don't know how much hard work this is" my response was always that I don't agree with their stupid rules and that they would have less work on their hands if they didn't try to measure For Rent signs to see if they were the required 18 inches in width.
[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Old thread which was restarted with a couple of OT rants which have been removed. I'm locking it to prevent further occurrences. - admin alex