tipping a house painter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
reisner

tipping a house painter?

Post by reisner »

Would you tip a house painter? We scored a special price from a big painting company, $3000 for a 2000 sq. ft. house on the California coast, plus a few add-ons. The crew is a little different each day, but the foreman is here all the time and doing a fantastic job. He does want us to hire him on the side for other work and to recommend him to a builder in the family, and so this is not merely a matter of doing the job he's paid for. But even so, I wonder if we should tip him, say, a hundred dollars for his great work?
Christine_NM

Re: tipping a house painter?

Post by Christine_NM »

I wouldn't tip a big-company crew. But if I were going to, I'd make it at least 10%-15%, which hopefully will be shared with crew who did the most work.

I hired an out-of-work painter (friend of a friend) with two helpers and he shared the tip equally with them.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

I asked around about this myself since we're having lots of work done and the consensus among my friends was that they do not tip for this kind of work. Instead, the "tip" is giving them more work. I'd be curious if others do tip more often.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Monetary tips might get lost in the shuffle. We "tipped" a really great crew once with beer (one case for each worker, two cases for the foreman).
dognose

Post by dognose »

Painting a house the right way is a major project. Of course you should tip him. I always use cash, but many of my friends also use gift certificates to popular restaurants in town.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I would hand him $40-60 in cash since he's done a good job. It does build goodwill and since you have him doing future work it will pay off. I figure its better to have good construction guys/gals on my side rather than angry or indifferent towards me. I feel the same way about my pet sitter; she gets a good tip and has never turned me down when I needed her.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
BradMajors

Post by BradMajors »

It is likely the foreman signed a contract with "big painting company" which said that he would not solicit "big painting company's" clients. It might get messy if you hired the foreman directly.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

reisner wrote:Would you tip a house painter? We scored a special price from a big painting company, $3000 for a 2000 sq. ft. house on the California coast, plus a few add-ons. The crew is a little different each day, but the foreman is here all the time and doing a fantastic job. He does want us to hire him on the side for other work and to recommend him to a builder in the family, and so this is not merely a matter of doing the job he's paid for. But even so, I wonder if we should tip him, say, a hundred dollars for his great work?
The $3000 is a great price. If you like the work, a tip is in order. I'd go the 10-15% route to your primary contact, the foreman, leaving him to decide on split. This is what I've done. A tip, if given, should properly express your appreciation.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I used to do beer but the number of recovering workers increased in a manner that made me concerned. I now host a BBQ on the day after CO for crew.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (tipping).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
denovo

Post by denovo »

I think tipping has gotten out of hand. outside of movers and probably looks a waiters at restaurants I don't really do any other tipping. Well hotel maids too.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

denovo wrote:I think tipping has gotten out of hand. outside of movers and probably looks a waiters at restaurants I don't really do any other tipping. Well hotel maids too.
+1. It's built into the price. And looks can be deceiving when it comes to paint jobs.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

We had a small painting company paint much of our house a few years ago.

I bought nice coffee and muffins for them every morning while they were here. They were grateful, and I figured it prevented any possible trouble if I tipped the lead painter and trusted him to evenly distribute the tip.
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

leo383 wrote:We had a small painting company paint much of our house a few years ago.

I bought nice coffee and muffins for them every morning while they were here. They were grateful, and I figured it prevented any possible trouble if I tipped the lead painter and trusted him to evenly distribute the tip.
This is what we do with contractors. Had our house resided a few years back during a cold Jersey winter. My wife likes to bake and cook so she would leave breads and crocks of chili out for the guys. The foreman mentioned how the guys didn't stop talking about it and told us (jokingly) if she didn't stop feeding them they would take their sweet time finishing the job.