Motorcycle for short commute?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
toto238

Motorcycle for short commute?

Post by toto238 »

[Restarted thread. Check post dates before responding.]

I'm in a financial stage where I could spare maybe an additional $50-100 a month towards additional transportation costs and I have about $3k on hand I could comfortably use for a down payment. These financials really wouldn't work for a car, unless it's a really old one and I don't want to take on the risk of it breaking a week after I get it. But these are numbers that could work for a new-ish motorcycle.

My commute is about ten minutes drive or a half hour walk and doesn't involve any highway driving. The walk has become somewhat impractical though, as temperatures in my area are regularly above 100 degrees every day right now. Deodorant can only do so much. Right now we have an old junker used car that breaks every few months and eats $500 of repairs each time. If me and my wife had a second vehicle between us, even just a motorcycle, it would help out immensely with logistics of getting to and from work. Her commute is about a half hour drive and has a very irregular schedule.

So I wanted to hear your thoughts, would you recommend a motorcycle as an economical option in my situation?
scone

Re: Motorcycle for short commute?

Post by scone »

I've had two motorcycles, and they were great for commuting and errands. As a woman with short legs, I had small cruisers, so I could sit with both feet firmly on the ground. You might or might not be able to find these older models (used, obviously): Yamaha RD 350, Suzuki GS 450 L. A newer one might be the VStar 250 or the Honda Rebel. Something like that, around 250 cc to 350 cc, would work well. You could also look into large scooters or electric motorcycles, but these are expensive. You also have to budget for boots, gloves, helmets, etc.

However. A motorcycle will not keep you cooler-- sitting at a stop light in 100 degree weather, on burning tarmac, sweating in a helmet, with a hot engine beneath you, is literally hell on wheels.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

toto238 wrote:My commute is about ten minutes drive or a half hour walk and doesn't involve any highway driving. The walk has become somewhat impractical though, as temperatures in my area are regularly above 100 degrees every day right now. Deodorant can only do so much...So I wanted to hear your thoughts, would you recommend a motorcycle as an economical option in my situation?
How about a bicycle? A half hour walk would translate into a really short bike ride. It may get up to 100 during the day, but what temp is it when you go in to work? Can you start earlier in the summer? Also, consider changing it your work clothes at work or perhaps getting an electric assist bicycle.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

scone wrote:sitting at a stop light in 100 degree weather, on burning tarmac, sweating in a helmet, with a hot engine beneath you, is literally hell on wheels.
I couldn't take it in Western PA heat of maybe 80-85 degrees with humidity. I wore dress pants with a jacket and helmet. I use to roast. Although, in the morning it wasn't so bad.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I would only do this if I would be able to take a shower/change clothes at the workplace, unless it's pretty cool in the morning. Ride home wouldn't matter of course.

We have people at my office who ride motorcycles to work occasionally, but they either take showers at the office or only do it on very cool/low humidity (under say, 70 degrees) mornings.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

I'm an avid motorcyclist, and wouldn't consider a 10 min commute in 100 degree weather!

As someone else said, it will be HOT. Especially if you wear ATGATT. That's "all the gear, all the time." AS YOU SHOULD.

I would ride my bicycle or if I took my motorcycle, I would wear ATGATT and figure out how to make it an hour commute!

Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
jonbois

Post by jonbois »

I drove a 350CC Honda/ 750CC Yamaha 20 miles a day to work for about 15 years weather permitting, afternoon's were always pot luck, loved every minute of it in north Texas where it gets pretty hot in the afternoon. Something between 250CC and 500CC and standard configuration would be my suggestion.

JB
Topic Author
toto238

Post by toto238 »

I should note that going to and from work it is usually at least 95 degrees if not 100 degrees.

I've actually never ridden a motorcycle before so I would need to learn first.

When it comes to the heat I'm in sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If I walk for a half hour in the hundred degree heat, I'll likely be too sweaty to work (even with a change of clothes and deodorant). But with a motorcycle ride of ten minutes I may be just as sweaty. If the wife needs the car for the day I have to do something.

I don't have the kind of cash on hand to purchase a car, and a bicycle wouldn't solve the sweatiness problem anymore than anything else. I'm a really big sweater and a change of clothes when I get to work just isn't going to cut it.

Are there motorcycles that come with air conditioning?
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

A motorcycle won't solve your sweating issue, probably make it worse if you dress for safety.
You could take a motorcycle safety class to see if you like it. I have a motorcycle license but do not have a bike at this time as I did not like having to be on guard all of the time.
A scooter could work for a 10 min. commute but if that is all that I had I would use an electric bike. Some really great bikes out now for less than $1000.

To not arrive sweaty you need air conditioning, that means car. There is a reason that the country is over-run with cars, they are convenient.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

toto238 wrote: ... a bicycle wouldn't solve the sweatiness problem anymore than anything else.
Depends on the climate. If it's hot and humid it won't help. If it's hot and dry the 10+ mph wind makes a difference. You still sweat but it evaporates. And of course you're exposed for 10 minutes rather than 30.

The following probably apply to any of the alternatives, walk, bike, motorcycle, rollerblades, possibly even a car if you can't store it in an air conditioned garage.

At 100 degrees I'd want to change at work. This of course depends on your work situation. A shower is ideal, but cooling down for 5-10 minutes in the AC then a wipe down with baby wipes helps.

Have you considered an ice pack? A pint of ice cubes in the leg of old pantyhose down the back of a (tight) cycling jersey is traditional, but there are probably more sophisticated solutions.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

The heat seems to be your main problem. I don't have an answer for that beyond a cheap car, which you might only need liability insurance payments, but if I were in your shoes I'd be looking quite seriously at an electric bike, depending a lot on the actual commute and terrain. If it is indeed walkable distance, then I would gather you likely won't get that hot on a motorcycle either, as it might be what, a few minutes? If it were very flat, electric bike would be a good choice.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

Epsilon Delta wrote:... Have you considered an ice pack? A pint of ice cubes in the leg of old pantyhose down the back of a (tight) cycling jersey is traditional, but there are probably more sophisticated solutions.
This might just be the think outside the box idea of the day! There are all sorts of wearable cooling products. Would an "ice vest" make walking (or any of the other modes mentioned) workable? Seems like one of these or even something home grown could work at minimal cost. One example on Amazon If there were a freezer at work, you'd be cool both ways.
matjen

Post by matjen »

I would look at a used scooter for commuting. A Yamaha Zuma or something like that.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/ ... /home.aspx
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The heat will presumably solve itself in a few months, so maybe look at renting a beater for that period? Something cheap, but with air conditioning. I have no idea what that might cost, so it's just a thought.
Toons

Post by Toons »

:happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
enc0re

Post by enc0re »

Small displacement used Scooter off Craigslist. Stick to reputable brands like Honda, Yamaha, etc. No Chinese knock-offs. It's too hard to find spare parts for them and CL is full of them.

Should set you back 1,000 - $2,000. In some states buying 50cc also lets you register it dirt cheap as a moped rather than a motorcycle. However, a 50cc will only cruise at about 30MPH. So if you have to figure out if that works for your route.

I commuted on a 50cc Honda Ruckus for two years. 10 mile round trip. It was glorious.
Toons

Post by Toons »

enc0re wrote:Small displacement used Scooter off Craigslist. Stick to reputable brands like Honda, Yamaha, etc. No Chinese knock-offs. It's too hard to find spare parts for them and CL is full of them.

Should set you back 1,000 - $2,000. In some states buying 50cc also lets you register it dirt cheap as a moped rather than a motorcycle. However, a 50cc will only cruise at about 30MPH. So if you have to figure out if that works for your route.

I commuted on a 50cc Honda Ruckus for two years. 10 mile round trip. It was glorious.

+1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

First of all I live in Minnesota, so perhaps not a valid comparison. I commuted on a motorcycle April thru October for over 20 years. The distance was about 5-6 miles one way. Going into work was never a problem, even on a hot, humid summer day. It was about 15 minutes on local streets. If I were doing it today I would use a 49 cc scooter instead.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

This recent thread is about commuting by scooter, but some of the responses might still be relevant in your situation:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=142767
TSR

Post by TSR »

enc0re wrote:Small displacement used Scooter off Craigslist. Stick to reputable brands like Honda, Yamaha, etc. No Chinese knock-offs. It's too hard to find spare parts for them and CL is full of them.

In some states you do not need a special license for 50cc scooters either, which you would need for a motorcycle. Worth looking into. To be clear, a little scooter would likely not generate as much of its own heat, and it is slow enough that most people do not gear up as much as motorcycle riders do. I think this option would be much smarter than a motorcycle, especially if you don't already know how to ride a motorcycle.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Have you any options for a ride share type arrangement with a co-worker? Maybe pay the co-worker a small fee to ferry you back and forth?
Topic Author
toto238

Post by toto238 »

flossy21 wrote:Have you any options for a ride share type arrangement with a co-worker? Maybe pay the co-worker a small fee to ferry you back and forth?
Definitely the most economical option and what I will consider first. My state does require a motorcycle license for anything that goes faster than 25mph or has a 50cc motor, so yeah...
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Is public transportation an option? Buses are air conditioned.
All the Best, | Joe
dave66

Post by dave66 »

I had bikes when I was younger. I hung out with a lot of guys that had them. My last bike got ripped off when I was about 24, and they probably did me a favor, because I probably would have killed myself on it. Out of everybody I know who had them, everybody did at least one stint in the hospital. One guy was even in a coma for two weeks. Back then of course, I thought I was bullet proof. Now I don't. The problem with bikes, is that there's no such thing as a small accident. An accident in a car that would be a simple nuisance... can kill you on a bike.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

dave66 wrote:I had bikes when I was younger. I hung out with a lot of guys that had them. My last bike got ripped off when I was about 24, and they probably did me a favor, because I probably would have killed myself on it. Out of everybody I know who had them, everybody did at least one stint in the hospital. One guy was even in a coma for two weeks. Back then of course, I thought I was bullet proof. Now I don't. The problem with bikes, is that there's no such thing as a small accident. An accident in a car that would be a simple nuisance... can kill you on a bike.
+1. Never rode, but had several friends that did and agree with Dave.
All the Best, | Joe
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

joe8d wrote:
dave66 wrote:I had bikes when I was younger. I hung out with a lot of guys that had them. My last bike got ripped off when I was about 24, and they probably did me a favor, because I probably would have killed myself on it. Out of everybody I know who had them, everybody did at least one stint in the hospital. One guy was even in a coma for two weeks. Back then of course, I thought I was bullet proof. Now I don't. The problem with bikes, is that there's no such thing as a small accident. An accident in a car that would be a simple nuisance... can kill you on a bike.
+1. Never rode, but had several friends that did and agree with Dave.
+2 Have ridden and love it. But also professionally I see the result of the inevitable accidents. Cheaper by far to go the "cage" route and have a car that protects you from other drivers as well as yourself. Broken bones and ICU stays are pricey, to say nothing of brain injury.
Watty

Post by Watty »

or a half hour walk
That is likely only a little bit over a mile.

Thinking outside the box: If a bicycle would make you too sweaty then an electric scooter, like some older people use, might be an option depending on the rout. Many of them limit the speed for safety for less agile older people but you can find ones that go 15 MPH or even faster so you might be able to cover the distance real quick and you can drive them on sidewalks.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

If you can walk to work in a half hour, then a motorcycle is probably overkill.

Consider a moped or scooter (used). Mopeds are currently out of fashion (i.e., cheap!), and the rules and regulations covering them are usually more clear than for scooters, at least around here.

I would think either would be cooler than walking. No there is no AC, but if it has a 12 volt system, you can probably rig up a fan to blow on you.

Electric would be nice, and they're getting cheaper every day. But still not quite equal in range to a gasoline powered scooter or moped.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

I don't commute but I ride a CBR250r here in Thailand- a hot and humid country. I (almost) always wear levis, an armored jacket, full face helmet and gloves. Its hot when I'm sitting at red lights, but I cool off quickly as soon as the bike starts moving :)

No Where for Very Long...
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

Thought id share. I live in Oklahoma. It's averaging 70s to 80s in the morning and around 100 in the evening in the summer.

I ride a motorcycle 3 miles to work most days in my work clothes and I don't have much trouble with getting sweaty or anything (at least in the morning going to work). 80d with wind on you isn't that bad. That being said, I wear a full face helmet always but don't wear any of the other gear during the summer. It just wouldn't be realistic.
leonard

Post by leonard »

For a short commute - an electric MC would be great. Take a look at Brammo motorcycles. There are a few others out there too. Or, wait for the Harley Electric to go in to production.

I'll also throw in that a one piece Aerostich suit is the way to go for work commuting. Easy on and off over work clothes. They are expensive - but they work extremely well, have comfortable padding and armor, and I found mine vents extremely well in hot weather.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
kingomri

Post by kingomri »

I would consider it. I had a 250cc Kawasaki in college as my only vehicle that I bought new for $3,000 in '07. I'm in Ohio, so we didn't really have 100 degree weather, but there were a couple times in the winter that I had to make a 20 minute highway ride to my student teaching location in below freezing temperatures (note: if there was ice or snow, I'd take the bus). I did ride in 100 degree weather once while on vacation, and stupid me forgot to put on sunscreen, so I got very, very sun-burnt. I don't recall the heat bothering me too terribly much (I was on the highway, and I wore a helmet but no other protective gear).

I loved using my motorcycle for commuting, but I sold it when I got married because the risk of getting seriously injured just wasn't worth it to me when I have other people depending on me. That is something you will need to take into account.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

I wouldn't do it, for one reason: Motorcycles are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, perhaps 30x as dangerous as cars per mile driven/ridden.

(Edit: I see others have mentioned this already...)
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
Bread

Post by Bread »

I have been commuting to work now on a motorcycle for 4 years. I live in North Texas, and learned how to ride the bike on a fast moving toll-road. The reason I bought the bike was to save money: cheap insurance and cheap gas. My commute was 30+ miles one-way when I bought the bike. Now my commute is more like 12 miles one-way.

During these four years the bike has paid for itself. That is how much I ride; even when it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I do all the maintenance - it is so easy. And it is a lot of fun.
Altephor

Post by Altephor »

toto238 wrote:I'm in a financial stage where I could spare maybe an additional $50-100 a month towards additional transportation costs and I have about $3k on hand I could comfortably use for a down payment. These financials really wouldn't work for a car, unless it's a really old one and I don't want to take on the risk of it breaking a week after I get it. But these are numbers that could work for a new-ish motorcycle.

My commute is about ten minutes drive or a half hour walk and doesn't involve any highway driving. The walk has become somewhat impractical though, as temperatures in my area are regularly above 100 degrees every day right now. Deodorant can only do so much. Right now we have an old junker used car that breaks every few months and eats $500 of repairs each time. If me and my wife had a second vehicle between us, even just a motorcycle, it would help out immensely with logistics of getting to and from work. Her commute is about a half hour drive and has a very irregular schedule.

So I wanted to hear your thoughts, would you recommend a motorcycle as an economical option in my situation?

If you don't want to walk because it's hot out, how are you going to feel in long pants, a (preferably) leather jacket, and a full face helmet? Which is what I assume you would wear, unless you're an idiot and only feel the tiniest connection to your skin. Because you will go down on that bike, somewhere, sometime.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

toto238 wrote:I'm in a financial stage where I could spare maybe an additional $50-100 a month towards additional transportation costs and I have about $3k on hand I could comfortably use for a down payment. These financials really wouldn't work for a car, unless it's a really old one and I don't want to take on the risk of it breaking a week after I get it. But these are numbers that could work for a new-ish motorcycle.

A motorcycle is very economical, but also very dangerous. Please be careful if this is where you choose to save money. If it's really a 30 minute walk (that's a mile and a half for me) I'd just get a $100 bike and call it good. It's tough to get too sweaty in 5-10 minutes of easy pedaling.
Last edited by White Coat Investor on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Altephor wrote:

If you don't want to walk because it's hot out, how are you going to feel in long pants, a (preferably) leather jacket, and a full face helmet? Which is what I assume you would wear, unless you're an idiot and only feel the tiniest connection to your skin. Because you will go down on that bike, somewhere, sometime.
Understandable. I definitely think carpooling is definitely the more economical and convenient option that I'm going to try for first. Maybe by next year, after my end-of-the-year raise and it's a bit cooler, I can consider getting a scooter at that time. Besides just the heat being an issue, time is an issue and logistics will be a lot easier with that second option.
Mursili

Post by Mursili »

toto238 wrote:Are there motorcycles that come with air conditioning?
Where I live any time my motorcycle is moving I have a form of air conditioning. I have ridden for several years now. I realize some of the danger. If you prepare yourself, you can overcome much of the risk.

If you are routinely riding at highway speeds with a lot of intersections with people turning this way and that then a motorcycle might be a lot of risk. If you have slower streets or some interstates on your commute, then a motorcycle might be a way to go.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

I bought a TaoTao 50cc. It will need regular maintenance of about 100-150/ yr.
We live at elevation, three miles to the Flatlands. Too far and too hard to walk but too near and too easy to get in the car.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Hold on.The Elio( $ 6800 ) should be going in production soon.It has A/C
All the Best, | Joe
kramer

Post by kramer »

joe8d wrote:Hold on.The Elio( $ 6800 ) should be going in production soon.It has A/C
Yeah, these recent threads on motorbikes makes me think there really is a market for this thing -- I certainly hope so.
bh_tikli

Post by bh_tikli »

OP, since your post mainly describes the commute from and to work, I imagine you are comfortable in whoever you are managing other aspects requiring travel, like groceries, shopping, eating out, etc. If that is the case, is carpooling with someone at work an option? The 100 you are planning to spend on motorcycle can go towards gas cost for the person picking and dropping you.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

Why not an electric assist bicycle? They're designed to like you bicycle, without getting too sweaty
Systems Engineer
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

+1 on the electric bicycle. I've ridden one and they are awesome.

There are cheap dependable cars out there, no reason you should have so many frequent repairs. Volvo 240, old lower mileage Hondas or toyotas. Mazda protege.
fingret

Post by fingret »

I dont know about the US, but in Europe, e-bikes are very popular. I own one myself, doing all my commuting, grocery shopping and random transports with it. I sold my car as well just because the bike was so good. Saved me a shitload of money each month.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

A 30 minute walk. Is about 1 mile at a slow walk. Or is about 2 miles at a brisk walk.

I looked at electric assist bikes. The Trek was $3000, it barely made it up our 600 ft elevation climb in 3 miles on a full charge. Looked at Chinese inexpensive electric bikes but dealer refused to sell me one with lithium battery because of safety hazard.

Eventually bought 50cc Chinese Scooter. I could zip down the hill at 50mph except for schooll zones, and get up the hill at 25/30 mph, depending on how much of a running start I can get.
leonard

Post by leonard »

technovelist wrote:I wouldn't do it, for one reason: Motorcycles are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, perhaps 30x as dangerous as cars per mile driven/ridden.

(Edit: I see others have mentioned this already...)
Motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. But, I think the danger - as represented by statistics - is overstated. Because I think the danger rises based on behaviors of the rider - that are controllable:

1. Reckless Behavior. Wheelies, speeding in traffic, etc.etc. I see this all the time and these people add to the statistics.
2. Proper safety equipment. Suit, full face helmet, proper boots. At all times - no exceptions.
3. Occasional Riders. If you ride once a month and not at all during the winter, you will be out of practice and have accidents.
4. Skipping motorcycle rider training.

A responsible commuting motorcyclist can simply make the right decisions and eliminate these risk factors through choice. Yes, it's still dangerous to ride. But, you can make the statistics work in your favor.

BTW - where did you get the 30X statistic?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Well I am married, so the safety aspect is important to me. Perhaps a small scooter may be a better move safety-wise than a powerful motorcycle.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

toto238 wrote:Well I am married, so the safety aspect is important to me. Perhaps a small scooter may be a better move safety-wise than a powerful motorcycle.
Once we found out my wife was pregnant, that bike was gone. Used the money to up the amount of money on down payment for house. No regrets.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

If this ever get built this would fit the bill :wink:

http://www.eliomotors.com/
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-