Career advice for retiring doc

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
drjazz

Career advice for retiring doc

Post by drjazz »

I have been lurking on this forum for a few years and have been very impressed by its collective wisdom. I’m looking for suggestions as to what to do with the next phase of my life. I am a 62 year old interventional cardiologist. I am still working full time; I enjoy the “work” part of my job (ie taking care of patients); the increasing bureaucratic and record keeping nonsense is another story…. While I’m in good physical health, I’m getting tired of working every other weekend and middle of the night emergency procedures. I am hoping to cut back to half time with no call soon. My home is paid off, my kids are grown and working, I have no debt, and I have made my “number”.
My wife passed away from a brain tumor 4 years ago; when she did I promised myself that I would devote as much of my remaining time as I could to doing things that I enjoy and to making the world a better place. I have many hobbies (playing music, gardening, tennis, cycling,cooking, reading) but I’m not going to be happy if I don’t have a job (even a non paying one). People have told me that I have done my share of good in my work but I guess I have more grandiose aspirations. It’s clear that there is a lot that is wrong with our country’s health care delivery system. I am saddened by the shambolic approach that is being used to “fix” it. In my opinion, most of the players are wearing blinders, have a political or financial axe to grind, refuse to acknowledge facts that contradict their agenda, refuse to deal with unintended consequences, etc. Where are Plato and Steve Jobs when we need them?
I would like to find a way to help steer the dialogue in a more productive direction and I don’t know where to get started. I have 30 years of experience in practice. I have been a Section Chief, orchestrated practice mergers (my group has grown from 2 to 30 docs), managed the practice for a time. I’ve been actively involved with implementation of electronic records. I was a philosophy major in college for what that’s worth. I’m not interested in practice management, being a shill for insurance companies, being a hospital administrator. I suppose some kind of think tank would be a possibility but I think most of them want people with more academic backgrounds. I live in central NJ which has easy access to NY, Philadelphia, Princeton, DC; I’m willing to travel and work for free for the right opportunity. I’m open to any suggestions.
livesoft

Re: Career advice for retiring doc

Post by livesoft »

Time to run for political office it seems to me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I suspect that there are non-profits and healthcare advisory boards in your area that could make use of someone with your skills, knowledge, talent and experience.

http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/involved/boards/
Last edited by CaliJim on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Clinical instructor at any of the nearby medical schools, and quickly getting involved in health care delivery research/policy? Boston also has RAND, which does health policy research, as I'm sure all the big NE universities do.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

You can do overseas medical volunteering. There are many places, most of which have nothing at all to do with Ebola.

Most rewarding work I ever did.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

obgraham wrote:You can do overseas medical volunteering. There are many places, most of which have nothing at all to do with Ebola.

Most rewarding work I ever did.
Or participate in those free healthcare events in the U.S. Probably accomplish a lot more than in Congress.

Steve Jobs? Wasn't he the guy who denied paternity of his daughter for years, and built on others' work that he didn't acknowledge? Not much of a role model.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have a couple of ideas for you. One, volunteer your services as a doctor for the needy, either in US or overseas, as there are many needy people in both places. In US, you could serve either in inner cities or some other impoverished area. Second, apply your medical knowledge and experience with some research center or think tank that identifies possible solutions to our messed up health care system in the US. Hopefully, some of your solutions could eventually be implemented to improve our health care system. Best wishes.
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

Google "Volunteers in Medicine". Seems right up your alley.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

What about writing a book (or even a blog) on the subject? It sounds like you have a fantastic perspective/background to help the public understand the issues, and you seem more concerned with better outcomes versus a political axe to grind.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Sending PM.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
jersey789girl

Post by jersey789girl »

Look up the website dropoutclub.org for doctors who are looking for non clinical careers.
J295

Post by J295 »

If I'm understanding your thoughts correctly, you'd like to see how you can play a part in helping to shape the national discussion for navigating the health care delivery system to a better model on a macro level. Bravo for you.

One avenue you might consider is writing some articles and/or doing some interviews to promote a model you find valuable, and also get the word out that you have an interest in providing your insights to the dialogue. Who knows where this may lead, but my own experiences over the past 1.5 years since I've transitioned to part time indicate that skill sets and opportunities often intersect in ways we don't imagine (or see) when we are busy working full time. That has been true for me.

Although this is more narrow than your question, one group I've found that is doing good things to steer the ship in another direction in your specialty are at the Gaples Institute. http://www.gaplesinstitute.org

I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me later and let me know what you have landed on, as I have a similar interest in this vision (resulting in part from service for many years on the hospital board -- I am not a provider, but have a high interest in community health).

Best of luck.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I have been in pharma the last bunch of years, now as a consultant and being your age, also am looking to hang it up. An interventional cardiologist can deal with reality quite well -- if I am interpreting your post correctly, you have a lot of clinical experience. You have a lot of administrative experience in a relatively small (30 people max) private practice. You don't have research experience. I think it will be tough to do much that doesn't use your clinical skills except maybe some nonprofit advice giving. As a former practicing nephrologist, I keep toying with just doing straight primary care for the poor. I wonder if you could do that as if you have been doing interventional cardiology you might actually learn something while doing it... Good luck regardless and getting rid of the nights and weekend call is worth, well, hundreds of thousands a year in my view and will likely buy you some additional years of life...
dadyson

Post by dadyson »

Hey Doc,

I can echo some of the other folks on here, that overseas medical and community development work are some of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. Whatever you decide, I want you to know that it is Physicians with your mindset that make me proud to work in medicine. I have worked with many Docs who think like you and they do a lot more healing in people's lives than simply providing medical expertise. Best wishes for you with whatever you decide.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

In a text about medicine in developing countries, was a story about a cardiologist volunteering in the 70's. "I haven't done primary care since 1947", he said.

The reply: "Well you're way ahead of where medicine is now in poor countries. Go for it."

That's quite true.
Topic Author
drjazz

Post by drjazz »

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and thoughtful suggestions. I am going to ask my son's gf, who is an internet media person, to help me set up a blog. If I do it well enough, perhaps it will attract the attention of some influential people; perhaps I could use it at the basis for a book. I will also send my CV and a cover letter to a few think tanks that are interested in health care issues and see if any can use me. I've had my fill of politics at the practice and hospital level; I can do it but I find it brings out aspects of my personality of which I'm not proud, so I'm going to pass on that. I would, however, be glad to work with elected officials who are serious about moving things in the right direction as an advisor. I considered taking a working sabbatical in an underdeveloped country shortly after my wife passed; the organizations with which I spoke didn't really need my skills (they were looking for docs with expertise in trauma surgery, infectious disease, ob-gyn). I did most of my training in inner city hospitals and a significant portion of my hospital work for the past 30 years has been in two similar institutions with large uninsured populations; I also have a prison clinic so I think I've done more than my share of "giving back" in that regard. My kids would not be happy with my traveling to a dangerous place having prematurely lost their mother. Therefore, I'm not going to pursue that avenue. I would, however, gladly get involved with a project aimed at improving the health of the underserved in this country. Thanks again for taking the time to answer
family_doc

Post by family_doc »

Dear drjazz,

I retired from primary care 7 years ago. Similar reasons as yours. Last 3 years have volunteered for outpatient primary care work through Catholic Charities. I was approached by MD in church...after 2 years made a site visit...started. Wife does front office work same day I go. This provides primary care for an underserved area in the city. Get to work with retired/volunteer docs, both primary & specialty/nurses/NP's/PA's/dentists/oral surgeons. Nobody is there who doesn't want to be there. Best attitude out of all places I have worked in the past. No call...no hospital...just work the day you are scheduled. Patients are as appreciative as suburban practice that I was in previously. There is no DEA license w/ the site, therefore no drug seekers.
Lots of students do brief rotations at the site. Nurses...Med students-4th year...NP students...PA students...Pharmacy interns...EMT's...some high school students. They are bright...motivated...makes medicine fun again. Also much pleasure in working with other retired/volunteer doc's.
Current students are bright...hard workers, but they need guidance in physical diagnosis...interview technique...and lots of little, common sense items that are second nature to you after 30 years, but not to them. Very fulfilling. I also refer them to the "White Coat Investor" and the Bogleheads, so that they may make less errors in finance than we did. Hope springs eternal.
Something to ponder. Good luck in whatever you plan to do.

with kindest regards,

family_doc