How to fix door handle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RMO87

How to fix door handle?

Post by RMO87 »

Help, the handle lever of the door between the house to the garage has come off on the garage side. At first, the lock quit twisting. The next thing we knew, the handle came off. The house is just over 6 years old. Right now we have to manually put the handle over the 'spindle' to get inside. The handle unit has a small hole at the left side that I'm sure is the way that the necessary adjustment is made (as it appears to allow access to a screw that is exposed on the right side of the inside spindle). The problem is that I can't seem to figure out exactly what needs to be done.

Has anyone had experience with such a handle?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
6miths

Re: How to fix door handle?

Post by 6miths »

Could you possibly post a couple of pictures?
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

It's not hard to fix these things or replace them, but I also don't have a mental picture of what yours looks like.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I just put a couple of these on last weekend. There's an allen-head set screw inside the access hole. Put the handle on and with an allen wrench turn the screw to the left, which is the opposite direction you would think, to tighten the handle.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Nicolas wrote:I just put a couple of these on last weekend. There's an allen-head set screw inside the access hole. Put the handle on and with an allen wrench turn the screw to the left, which is the opposite direction you would think, to tighten the handle.
Thanks. I was having trouble with one of these handles. I fixed one of them using your guidance. But I think you turn the set screw in the opposite way of how the door handle is situated -- at least that's what I did -- turned it to the right as my handle leads from the left.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Most set screws using Allen wrenches are conventional threads, "righty - tighty, lefty - loosey". Sometimes there may be a small indentation or a flat on the shaft where the set screw "bears". Make sure the hole in the handle shaft is in line with the indentation if that's the case
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

But that is not what he described as I read.
The handle unit has a small hole at the left side that I'm sure is the way that the necessary adjustment is made (as it appears to allow access to a screw that is exposed on the right side of the inside spindle).
The screw is not in the handle to be tightened against the spindle; the screw is in the spindle, and the handle only has a hole to provide access.

Now my best guess is that what I read the OP as writing is not the truth, in which case tightening the screw in the handle to force it up against the spindle so that friction can help you is the correct answer.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Which is exactly why we need a picture to diagnose the problem. Most garage handles I have seen have a T-handle which fits on a shaft (either square or round) but I'm sure there are other styles out there.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Try googling it or searching on youtube
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Unscrew and remove the whole unit. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the same brand/model. Follow the instructions and install the new unit.

It's pretty easy. Often, the only tool you need is a screw driver.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Dutch wrote:Unscrew and remove the whole unit. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the same brand/model. Follow the instructions and install the new unit.

It's pretty easy. Often, the only tool you need is a screw driver.
+1
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Why spend money at Lowe's or HD if all you have to do is tighten a screw? I don't get it.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

sscritic wrote:Why spend money at Lowe's or HD if all you have to do is tighten a screw? I don't get it.
Why post a message on an internet forum if all you have to do is tighten a screw?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

bungalow10 wrote:
sscritic wrote:Why spend money at Lowe's or HD if all you have to do is tighten a screw? I don't get it.
Why post a message on an internet forum if all you have to do is tighten a screw?
As others have mentioned, it's really hard to know what he has got going on. It sounds to some of us as if it is just loose.
At first, the lock quit twisting.
The handle was still on, but turning the handle didn't turn the spindle. It sounds as if it is just loose.
The next thing we knew, the handle came off.
And now it is looser.

My interpretation is that the OP is inexperienced in these things; the problem might not be that big a deal. I could be wrong, but my first inclination would not be to run out and spend money, unless it is to get the proper sized wrench or screwdriver which could be used later for other repairs.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

sscritic wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:
As others have mentioned, it's really hard to know what he has got going on. It sounds to some of us as if it is just loose.
At first, the lock quit twisting.
The handle was still on, but turning the handle didn't turn the spindle. It sounds as if it is just loose.
The next thing we knew, the handle came off.
And now it is looser.

My interpretation is that the OP is inexperienced in these things; the problem might not be that big a deal. I could be wrong, but my first inclination would not be to run out and spend money, unless it is to get the proper sized wrench or screwdriver which could be used later for other repairs.
I agree.

Or perhaps a new set screw if the original became so loose that it fell out and is lost.

Lots of new homeowners need to learn how to do these things; it is not always automatically obvious how to fix something that is simple to someone experienced. So they ask "dumb" questions for a while, they learn, later they get to answer some "dumb" question for someone else just coming along.

I don't remember, but I bet my dad answered a similar question from me at some point in some year long past.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

bungalow10 wrote:
Because you don't know which screw.* Installing a new handle will also require tightening screws. A new handle will usually come with instructions explaining which screws to tighten.

This is the sort of small favor I exchange with neighbors and friends. Nobody knows every thing. I fix door knobs or find the water cut off is and they tell me where the good restaurants are, lend me a ladder, water my plants when I'm away ... . If you know any starving artists who change their own oil perhaps it's time to invite them over for dinner or a beer.

* Handyman bill -- tightening screw $1.00. Knowing which screw to tighten $49.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:
Because you don't know which screw.* Installing a new handle will also require tightening screws. A new handle will usually come with instructions explaining which screws to tighten.

This is the sort of small favor I exchange with neighbors and friends. Nobody knows every thing. I fix door knobs or find the water cut off is and they tell me where the good restaurants are, lend me a ladder, water my plants when I'm away ... . If you know any starving artists who change their own oil perhaps it's time to invite them over for dinner or a beer.

* Handyman bill -- tightening screw $1.00. Knowing which screw to tighten $49.
I agree so much with your thinking. I lived in my parent's apartment, until I was 21. Moved out into another apartment and then bought I townhouse. I learned a lot of little things in the townhouse like changing air filters, a bit of mowing with a mechanical push mower, fixing little holes in the wall, hanging pictures, etc. I moved to a big house with maintenance challenges, like mowing an acre of lawn/yard with a 45 degree slope on the side of my house, more gardening, hanging wall paper, painting the interior and exterior, septic tanks, transplanting trees, etc. I did that for almost 20 years, moved out into a condo for 8 years and forgot a lot of things I had learned about home maintenance. I upsized my house recently and I find a lot of challenges, like fixing door knobs or roof flashing or figuring out an irrigation or security system. Good neighbors and friends are sometimes your best sources for invaluable information that helps you straighten-out those little house maintenance inconveniences that can drive you batty -- maybe this isn't the ideal place to post requests for help, but I was sure glad it was posted here and I found it.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

tennisplyr wrote:Try searching on youtube
I agree with tennisplyr.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
Topic Author
RMO87

Post by RMO87 »

I'd love to attach a few pictures of the handle in question. Could anyone please guide me as to how I go about doing so? Thanks again for trying to help me out!
Ryan
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

RMO87 wrote:I'd love to attach a few pictures of the handle in question. Could anyone please guide me as to how I go about doing so? Thanks again for trying to help me out!
Ryan
Once you have taken the pictures, you can upload to a site like www.tinypic.com. Once the picture has been uploaded there, you will shown a page with some forum code that you can copy and paste into your posts. At tinypic, you the field you need to copy is the one called "IMG code for forums and message boards". The forum code will reference the picture uploaded.
Wiki
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

What have you tried?

As I read, the suggestions were ask a neighbor or ask a father (in my granddaughters' case, they should ask their mother not their father). The other suggestion was to try to tighten it with an Allen wrench or a screw driver. I have never posted a picture here, so I can't help you with that, but I have asked a neighbor for help before and I have also tightened a screw using an Allen wrench.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Did the screw fall out? Is there a very small threaded hole in the handle? If so, go to your local hardware store and get an allen screw (very short (1/4" or so threaded rod) to match the hole in the handle. Might want to pick up the appropriate size allen wrench that goes in the end of the screw to tighten it if you don't have one. Google "allen screw" for a picture, etc
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If he has lost the screw, I go with buy a new unit. It comes with instructions, as previously noted. The instructions are what he really needs; the new door fixture is just a bonus.
Topic Author
RMO87

Post by RMO87 »

Here are the pictures!

First one showing the lock that no longer turns (view is from the inside of the house): Image

Second and third are viewed on the other side (from inside the garage), showing the little hole (second pic) and the spindle screw (third pic):

Image (yes, I broke off part of the spindle when I was 'locked out' after the handle first broke).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Since it is broken, I suggest a new unit, although it still might work since the screw can still grab the spindle.

If you look at the inside of the screw, you should see six sides. An Allen wrench has six sides and fits inside your screw so you can turn it. Here are google pictures. Look the at the ends. Usually people buy a set of six or so in various sizes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allen+w ... 79&bih=797
chaz

Post by chaz »

Or just call a handyman. :)
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page