Memory foam mattresses - any insight?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Memory foam mattresses - any insight?

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I'm in the market for a new king size, memory foam mattress.

I could go spend $3-8k for a Tempurpedic.

Or I could spend $2-5k for a Sealy, Serta, or Simmons competitor of the Tempurpedic.

Or I could buy this and foundation for about $700-800 delivered:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT37LA/ref ... B00403MYWA

The reviews are really good. But why is it so cheap? Anybody have any experience with it or other memory foam mattresses?

I want to know all of your personal experiences with memory foam mattresses, good and bad. I don't trust some of the excellent reviews online. Call me a skeptic.
davegreen10

Re: Memory foam mattresses - any insight?

Post by davegreen10 »

Bought our queen size at Costco for $600 five years ago. No regrets; it's still in fantastic shape and we love it.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I have no experience with memory foam mattresses.

One thing I learned when shopping for a latex foam mattress, however, is that the more expensive ones are 100% latex. The cheaper ones are, for example, a few inches of latex on top of a cheaper foam base (which usually degrades faster than latex).

The product you linked to on Amazon mentions 2.5 inches of memory foam and 9.5 inches of "premium support foam." I don't know what the premium support foam is. Perhaps it's cheaper and that's the reason this product is cheaper. Or, perhaps it's super high quality stuff, and it's also used in the more expensive foam mattresses, and the price difference is due to something else. It's at least worth looking into.

Also, as somebody in the business of selling things on Amazon, I would say that you're right to be skeptical about Amazon reviews.
Last edited by ObliviousInvestor on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

I dropped about $2500 on a Tempurpedic 7 years ago and couldn't be happier. Unlike traditional mattresses, I haven't found it to wear with issues like soft spots or uneven areas. While it was a lot of money up front, it has certainly been worth it. Aside from financial factors, I find it to be very comfortable.

Having said all that, I do not know if the competitors have a product that is now as good (or better?) than Tempurpedic. When I bought my mattress the market wasn't so big for memory foam. In summary, I believe this is one of those products that you get what you pay for and you use daily so be careful about taking risks with inferior products. Good luck!
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Triple digit golfer wrote:I'm in the market for a new king size, memory foam mattress.

I could go spend $3-8k for a Tempurpedic.

Or I could spend $2-5k for a Sealy, Serta, or Simmons competitor of the Tempurpedic.

Or I could buy this and foundation for about $700-800 delivered:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT37LA/ref ... B00403MYWA

The reviews are really good. But why is it so cheap? Anybody have any experience with it or other memory foam mattresses?

I want to know all of your personal experiences with memory foam mattresses, good and bad. I don't trust some of the excellent reviews online. Call me a skeptic.
here's a perhaps deliberately controversial statement. memory foam = toxic chemicals. i wouldn't get within 1 mile of it
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/200 ... l-mattress
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

grok87 wrote:I want to know all of your personal experiences with memory foam mattresses, good and bad. I don't trust some of the excellent reviews online. Call me a skeptic.
here's a perhaps deliberately controversial statement. memory foam = toxic chemicals. i wouldn't get within 1 mile of it
cheers,[/quote]

Agreed, but then again regular mattresses have chemicals in them as well, so to avoid chemicals completely, you'd have to buy an organic mattress.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Bought a TempurPedic >10 years ago. We like it. It has been more durable than any conventional mattress we've ever owned. Re chemicals, there has never been a trace of odor from it. I can't speak to the question of whether it's any better than cheaper mattresses.

It's not for everyone. Most mattresses I think are sold with a 30-day return policy and I'd insist on having that and take it seriously. It feels very different from a conventional mattress. It has no "bounce" at all, which makes it good for sleeping but less good for other things mattresses are sometimes used for. One characteristic to be aware of--which I don't want to overstate--is that because you sink in a little bit, it is harder to turn over--you are raising yourself out of a shallow form-fitting depression.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
davebarnes

Another discussion

Post by davebarnes »

A nerd living in Denver
ram

Post by ram »

Very happy with our tempurpedic. Paid less than $3000 (queen). For a small fraction of my net worth 30% of my life on this earth became much more comfortable.
Ram
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

we bought a temperpedic cloud several years ago and have both really liked it. it was about 2000 for a queen size. have had no issues with smell/odor at any time.
Focus on what you can control
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We bought an iComfort by Serta about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. My wife was against a foam mattress. We've always had conventional mattresses, the last bought through a program at Four Seasons.

We started at Sleepy's but quickly left due to the hard sell to make a quick sale. We then went to Macy's and tried a number of mattresses over a few hours. We agreed that foam was an improvement over our old mattress. The iComfort is two layer with the upper layer supposedly addressing the hot feeling with other foams. It was less expensive than the Thempurpedic and more comfortable during our in-store testing. It was also the one recommended by the Macy's saleslady despite the lower cost. She said she had one.

We eventually bought at a local mattress store for substantially less than Macy's. We paid about $2900 (corrected from $2000) for a king + box springs. They threw in the frame, a mattress pad, delivery and two foam pillows. Yes, it was a a new Serta. Macy's wanted close to a thousand more (corrected from over $3000), plus would charge for the frame and no mattress pad. They would not negotiate.

We'd buy another iComfort.

Correction 07/24/14: Coincidentally I found the receipt for the mattress yesterday while looking for something else. The total price was about $2900 from the local mattress store. I seem to recall it was about a thousand less than Macy's. Sorry for the bad information.
Last edited by heartwood on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Good stuff, everybody. Thanks. Keep it coming.
Big Snack

Post by Big Snack »

We have had an Icomfort for one year and are happy with it.
scouter

Post by scouter »

Some of the less expensive memory foam brands are comparable to Tempurpedic and the other big brand names, but be sure the foam is actually made in the USA and especially stay away from any foam made in China. We own a memory foam bed by "Rest on Clouds" (google website) that we feel is even better than Tempurpedic although it was about $1k less, and is made in Georgia. Also, the Novafoam mattresses from Costco seem to get good reviews, though I can't remember where their foam is made.

Memory foam is not for everyone and it takes about 3-4 weeks to adjust to it, so be sure to give it a chance. (That's why Tempurpedic won't let you return a mattress until you've had it for a month.) Once we adjusted to it, we knew we''d never buy another conventional mattress, and we hate to sleep in hotels now as it's never as good as our bed at home.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

heartwood wrote:We bought an iComfort by Serta about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. My wife was against a foam mattress. We've always had conventional mattresses, the last bought through a program at Four Seasons.

You've got me really curious...when you say you purchased a mattress through a "program at Four Seasons" please tell me you are not referring to a used mattress?? I'm all about saving money, living below means, etc. but that would be on a whole 'nother level!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

ram wrote:Very happy with our tempurpedic. Paid less than $3000 (queen). For a small fraction of my net worth 30% of my life on this earth became much more comfortable.
+1
I have slept on a the Tempurpedic Cloud for about 2 years. I used to chronically have back pain, and although it took me about a month to adjust to it, my back almost never hurts today.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

I bought on two different occasions foam memory pillows at a department store (Lord & Taylor, then Macy's); however, while I was getting used to the feel of them after a while, they had a terrible smell to them. The instructions told me to air them out for a while, and I did for at least a week, but I didn't know if the petroleum smell (or whatever it was) would ever go away, so I returned them. Any problems with the smell with these foam mattresses in that regard? The chemical aspect of it gave me pause as well when I read the ingredients on the packaging.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I bought the Tempur-Simplicity a few years back and it's been excellent. It's tempurpedic's cheapest model. I think I paid around $1300 for the queen mattress only (it sits directly on the floor). One of my best purchases ever.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BogleBoogie wrote:
heartwood wrote:We bought an iComfort by Serta about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. My wife was against a foam mattress. We've always had conventional mattresses, the last bought through a program at Four Seasons.

You've got me really curious...when you say you purchased a mattress through a "program at Four Seasons" please tell me you are not referring to a used mattress?? I'm all about saving money, living below means, etc. but that would be on a whole 'nother level!
Many hotels and also cruise lines now sell NEW (not used :shock: ) bedding - mattresses, sheets, pillows - as another revenue source.
I guess if someone really loves the mattress, and it's for a couple of nights, that's a lot better "test" than a few tosses in a mattress showroom, regardless of price.

We had one place last summer that was so remarkable (truly astonishing) that we are planning to go back to make sure "it's the same", and if so, that's what we'll get.
We felt like we were enveloped in a soft cocoon, but one with enough support.
I've never felt anything like it before, and we've stayed in a lot of top tier hotels in the USA and Europe, and had commented that some of the beds were "really nice".
This was SPECIAL.

Maybe we'll go back, and it won't be the same.
(We even changed rooms once, and the bedding was the same.)

RM
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

Personally, I hate memory foam, because it indents and keeps you in one position, so it's like you're stuck in a cookie mold. I went with a different, insanely cheap option on Amazon, which was high-density foam with a euro-top softer foam, for $160 for a full. It's actually quite soft without being saggy, as I experienced with my last spring mattress, and there are no springs to press against if you sink.

http://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding ... 952&sr=1-2

You might look at a latex mattress if you want to go the Amazon route, made by the same company. It's a popular option now, but very expensive if bought in stores. This one seems high-quality, judging from the reviews, and you have multiple levels of firmness to choose from, and the factory owner will actually call you to discuss your needs and recommend the best option for you (their mattresses are made in Arizona). I'd do a test-drive in a Macy's showroom or similar place to see which you prefer, though--memory foam, latex, or traditional box springs.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-L ... x+mattress

The crazy part about receiving a foam bed was that after production it's shrink-wrapped, all the air forced out, and shipped in a 50-pound roll in a box, so a foam option is going to be much easier to move. Instead of the waste of a box springs, I bought a metal platform through Amazon that is 14" high, for $90 or so, which is great for under-bed storage (and a sleeping/hiding spot for my cats).

There's actually a good bed review site I remember seeing that compares brands, the different types of beds, and rates them all by different values, as well as customer satisfaction. Then I also saw a good message boards with bed experts who talk about the different types of latex beds and composition, and answered a lot of the questions people had about buying an affordable latex bed on Amazon. I can't remember the name of the sites, but some googling should help.

The only drawback, though, is that if you don't like it, it's sort of difficult to send the un-shrink-wrapped bed back, although I think they offer a warranty. That's one reason why I went with a $160 bed, because the reviews were almost all positive and I figured that if it didn't work, I could just donate it to charity.
msj16

Post by msj16 »

I recently bought a Tempurpedic Weightless Supreme. This is a newer model that was recommended when I said I didn't like how difficult it was to turn. It makes you sink in less. When it first came, the smell to me was really quite bad and went to the first floor of our house. I aired it out by keeping two windows open all day long for about 3 full days until the smell was mostly gone. I am still getting used to it. I do think that I sleep more deeply with it.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

The Dan wrote:I currently sleep on a regular inner spring mattress, but I am tempted to try this Tuft and Needle foam mattress recommended by Mr. Money Mustache:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Made in the USA. Very inexpensive. Comes in 5" or 10" thicknesses.
This would be a great mattress to use with a platform bed, giving a very minimalist look.

Plus, I have seen lots of $50 off referral links in the comments section of this blog:
http://www.ourfreakingbudget.com/tuft-n ... ss-review/
Before you do read this link in my post and take from it what you may:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 9#p2035843
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

got a 100% latex, 11" king for $2200
really nice mattress, took two [huge] guys to haul it in and thankfully you never flip or rotate the mattress
search the BH site and you will find other discussions - buying a mattress is like buying a car and you gotta shop and you gotta ask for a better price; there is always money on the table
Tempurpedic (I do not believe they are latex) supposedly is priced the same in most stores but there are deals
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I'm very happy with my memory foam mattress. It sleeps much better than my old spring mattress, however I have discovered one drawback. Memory foam tends to "sleep warm" or least it does in my experience. Some of the newer ones have "cool" gel infused with the memory foam to help combat that.
bgrpph

Post by bgrpph »

had an original tempurpedic king mattress back about 15 yrs ago- 1st one sagged a bit after few yrs & was
replaced w/o any hassle direct from tempurpedic- Kept it about 11-12 yrs till it started getting uncomfortable-
went to bed store layed on all the tempurpedic beds & fell with their Grandbed- it's just wonderful- not to firm not
to soft- Couldn't take the price though- bought it on line ebay thru a big tempur seller 4 yrs ago for $4k less than store- no warranty & still expensive- $5.5k for king grandbed, but it's just perfect.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Comforpedic x 5 years now. Don't remember who manufactures it but it's basically a cooler version of a Tempurpedic. I'd make the same decision today. Most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on.
billjohnson

Post by billjohnson »

Best mattress forum on the web. Phoenix is the man...

http://themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html
itiswhatitis

Post by itiswhatitis »

nisiprius wrote:Bought a TempurPedic > One characteristic to be aware of--which I don't want to overstate--is that because you sink in a little bit, it is harder to turn over--you are raising yourself out of a shallow form-fitting depression.
I hope I used the quote tool correctly -- my first time.

I will not risk overstating this (nod to nisiprius) -- I had mine moved to the guest room (which by default seems to have a four day limit -- maybe it is me -- and which is the period of time the mattress seems like heaven, so I don't feel badly about the comfort of guests who stay four days. They seem to love it.) I moved it there after trying, really hard, to love/prefer the mattress.

I am (only) 50 and after a high speed roller skating accident (yes, pride before fall, I was showing off and quite delighted with myself immediately prior) followed by car accident 10 months later (t-boned by teen texter running red light) I have a new appreciation for risk, AND I find that any barrier to movement at night (even just feeling hesitant or shy of moving lest trigger of back pain) caused significant stiffness and pain next day that made me feel old. Moving as much as pssible is always good. Replaced the set with a (conventional) hotel set (westin) I liked for two solid weeks on a trip, and still do, after 18 months. Back much improved, but I doubt that is related to the mattress and more likely due to tedious exercises and walking 5 miles daily. Still, I would not do memory foam again -- felt old and felt trapped because of inability to easily move.
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

After 25 years of waterbeds, we switched to a Serta memory foam mattress about 10 years ago. It was about $1,000 less than Temperpedic at the time. I suspect that I might have been a little happier to have paid the extra money for the top brand. I think mine is a little firmer.

Better support than the water mattress, and I prefer the memory foam to hotel mattresses, which are my only available comparison lately.

I don't really like the memory foam in the winter. It is cold when I first get in bed, and once I warm up a spot, I want to stay in it. I miss the heated water bed.

The memory foam is very partner friendly. When my wife or I turn over or move, there is no movement on the other side of the bed. That is the very opposite of the water bed.

One problem is that if I put my arm under the pillow, the arm goes to sleep. This was very annoying, and I developed a strong aversion to sleeping with my arm there.

When you spend one third of your life in bed, I think it is foolish not to invest in a good mattress.

Follow up comment.

I found the warranty, although not the receipt. It is a Sealy Posturepedic True Form, and is no longer made. Sealy now has the Optimum series.

As my wife and I are now in our 70's, another problem with the mattress is that it is very heavy. It is hard to lift it when we are making the bed. If you are into weight lifting, that might be considered a benefit.
Last edited by DonCamillo on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

We paid about $300 for a foam mattress from Sam's Club several years ago.

It arrived tied down in a box, and when we unclipped it, the mattress opened up to full size. DH suffers from sensitivity to any type of fume or industrial vapors, so I had it delivered and opened it the day we were leaving on a week long trip. Our house sitter rolled around on it each day when she came to feed the cat. Didn't smell anything when I opened it, and never once we came home and slept in it.

We love the mattress. We don't notice any sinking into the mattress, though it has nice give. We did select a firmer version and that might be the difference from those who found themselves sinking into a foam mattress. Maybe there is a difference among foam mattresses. I figured that if we liked the sleep, but otherwise didn't like the particular mattress, we could consider another more expensive brand later. As it is, I don't expect to replace this mattress for some time. It's almost 3 years old now and I can't tell any difference from when it was new.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Some years back I was having trouble sleeping. Sore back. I have an inner spring on a platform -- no box spring. Rather than go shopping for a new mattress, I got a memory foam mattress topper at Costco. Wow. I LOVED it so much that during the day I kept thinking about when I would be able to go to bed because it was so comfy. I found it was good for about 5 years. Replaced it and am still very satisfied. So, I am sleeping on a 24 yr old mattress with a memory foam topper. No inclination to change at this point.

Only challenge is getting rid of the old one. I asked the Costco people if I could dispose of it in their dumpster. They said okay, but I ended up cutting it up and putting it in my own trash. (Saved a few squares and use them for cushions. Really.)
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ResearchMed wrote:
BogleBoogie wrote:

Many hotels and also cruise lines now sell NEW (not used :shock: ) bedding - mattresses, sheets, pillows - as another revenue source.
I guess if someone really loves the mattress, and it's for a couple of nights, that's a lot better "test" than a few tosses in a mattress showroom, regardless of price.

We had one place last summer that was so remarkable (truly astonishing) that we are planning to go back to make sure "it's the same", and if so, that's what we'll get.
We felt like we were enveloped in a soft cocoon, but one with enough support.
I've never felt anything like it before, and we've stayed in a lot of top tier hotels in the USA and Europe, and had commented that some of the beds were "really nice".
This was SPECIAL.

Maybe we'll go back, and it won't be the same.
(We even changed rooms once, and the bedding was the same.)

RM

Yes it was NEW. We'd stayed at a Four Season's outside San Diego at least 20 years ago. Loved the mattress and asked what kind it was at the desk. They explained we could buy one through the hotel. We did; it was delivered and set up on the East Coast a week later.

Looks like its a Simmons (at least now): http://d1xejl9xcsndu9.cloudfront.net/wp ... easons.pdf
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

We purchased one of the Generic Chinese made mattresses from a local mattress chain (Denver Mattress company). We paid $800 for a queen memory foam with gel foam layer. This was marketed as a a green mattress "made without mercury, lead or heavy metals,ozone depleters (no CFCs), phthalates or PBDEs". It did not have much of an order when delivered.

We tested out several name brads and off brand mattresses and felt this one was the most comfortable.
The nice thing is this brand listed out the thickness and type of materials that made up the mattress. It was also about 1/4 the price of the name brand mattresses so we figured it was well worth it even if it doesn't last as long. They claim it has a 15 year non prorated warranty...

We have had it for about a year and have had no problems with it. It was a vast improvement over our old coil spring mattress.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
midareff

Post by midareff »

nisiprius wrote:Bought a TempurPedic >10 years ago. We like it. It has been more durable than any conventional mattress we've ever owned. Re chemicals, there has never been a trace of odor from it. I can't speak to the question of whether it's any better than cheaper mattresses.

It's not for everyone. Most mattresses I think are sold with a 30-day return policy and I'd insist on having that and take it seriously. It feels very different from a conventional mattress. It has no "bounce" at all, which makes it good for sleeping but less good for other things mattresses are sometimes used for. One characteristic to be aware of--which I don't want to overstate--is that because you sink in a little bit, it is harder to turn over--you are raising yourself out of a shallow form-fitting depression.
+1 for a severe osteoarthritic it is the best ever.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

My other half decided to ditch both of our mattresses and get two of the Costo tempurpedic-like mattresses. I don't like them too much. Then when I attended a recent wedding at a hotel in Provincetown, I really realized what a good regular high end mattress felt like and wished we would have spent the money on that. The memory foam mattresses leave dents that are uncomfortable in my opinion.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

I might get a memory foam mattress one day, but I'm hooked on Simmons. Been a customer for fifteen years, and never been unhappy with any mattress I've purchased. Sleep very well.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
grok87 wrote:I want to know all of your personal experiences with memory foam mattresses, good and bad. I don't trust some of the excellent reviews online. Call me a skeptic.
cheers,
Agreed, but then again regular mattresses have chemicals in them as well, so to avoid chemicals completely, you'd have to buy an organic mattress.[/quote]

I am very sensitive to VOCs (volatile organic chemicals). I bought a memory foam pillow and had to return it as it gave me a terrible headache just having it in the house. I probably could have let it outgas in the garage for a while, but I just returned it. I'm not t sure it would be an issue with an encapsulated mattress, but I haven't tested it.

I have slept on memory foam at premium hotels (when traveling on business) and have found it very comfortable albeit hot.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

cherijoh wrote:
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
cheers,
Agreed, but then again regular mattresses have chemicals in them as well, so to avoid chemicals completely, you'd have to buy an organic mattress.
I am very sensitive to VOCs (volatile organic chemicals). I bought a memory foam pillow and had to return it as it gave me a terrible headache just having it in the house. I probably could have let it outgas in the garage for a while, but I just returned it. I'm not t sure it would be an issue with an encapsulated mattress, but I haven't tested it.

I have slept on memory foam at premium hotels (when traveling on business) and have found it very comfortable albeit hot.[/quote]
thanks.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Riverstwo wrote:My other half decided to ditch both of our mattresses and get two of the Costo tempurpedic-like mattresses. I don't like them too much. Then when I attended a recent wedding at a hotel in Provincetown, I really realized what a good regular high end mattress felt like and wished we would have spent the money on that. The memory foam mattresses leave dents that are uncomfortable in my opinion.

Leave dents..... WoW. Why not to buy a discount copy. My tempurpedic never leaves dents or anything else.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I have slept on memory foam at premium hotels (when traveling on business) and have found it very comfortable albeit hot.
I am tempted to get a memory foam or latex mattress but just a little skeptical since very few hotels have decided to use these mattresses. Makes you wonder why...I can see avoiding them at a discount hotel, but I have never stayed at a place that has used them. Too many complaints about comfort, odor, lifespan, cost?
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

yatesd wrote: I am tempted to get a memory foam or latex mattress but just a little skeptical since very few hotels have decided to use these mattresses. Makes you wonder why...I can see avoiding them at a discount hotel, but I have never stayed at a place that has used them. Too many complaints about comfort, odor, lifespan, cost?
possibly because they are so heavy when changing linen? they may need two person or one large person crews to do house keeping when changing sheets daily. :annoyed
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
arkerr123

Post by arkerr123 »

I used to design hospital mattresses -

If you have not owned a memory foam mattress, keep this in mind. They are hot.
Yes, they can feel great to lay on for a few minutes in a store, but many people take them home and find them to be too hot to comfortably sleep on.

Maybe you are cold at night :)

Everyone sleeps differently so it is completely personal choice.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

arkerr123 wrote: If you have not owned a memory foam mattress, keep this in mind. They are hot. Yes, they can feel great to lay on for a few minutes in a store, but many people take them home and find them to be too hot to comfortably sleep on.
But Not Latex
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

We purchased that Sleep Innovations mattress a bit over a month ago off Amazon. No complaints yet. I had heard that you get warm sleeping on them, but even in the Gulf Coast region night sleeps have been cool.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

We have a memory foam mattress from Brooklyn Bedding, and have been happy with it so far: http://www.brooklynbedding.com/
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Someone may have metioned this already - I didn't read every reply.

We bought this from Costco
Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Split-King Mattress with Adjustable Base - Item# 436276
White Glove
in January of 2013 and we could not be more pleased. We don't find it hot at all, and we're in North Carolina where I find *everything* hot.

The whole thing cost less than just the Tempurpedic base, and the quality is exceptional. We really really love it. The White Glove delivery was amazing. It was actually the first thing we ever bough from Costco - we became members to buy it, and now we're loyal shoppers there.

I really can't say enough good things about that bed.

Good luck with your search!

ETA: as I actually read this thread. We've had zero problem with dents, and it is 1000% easier to change the sheets because the split king foam mattresses are so much lighter and easier to move than our traditional king mattress. Also, we use our regular deep pocket king sheets, not special "split king" sets. They never pop off, although in the rare occasions when one of us totally flat while the other is completely vertical, the sheets do pull around funny.
Last edited by BuckyBadger on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I am happy with my memory foam mattress purchase from Amazon. Before you buy a mattress online make sure that you fully understand the return policy. Some places will come and pick the mattress up, package it for shipping and ship it for no charge. Some places make you do all the work and pay for return shipping out of pocket.
scouter

Post by scouter »

arkerr123 wrote:I used to design hospital mattresses -

If you have not owned a memory foam mattress, keep this in mind. They are hot.
Yes, they can feel great to lay on for a few minutes in a store, but many people take them home and find them to be too hot to comfortably sleep on.

Maybe you are cold at night :)

Everyone sleeps differently so it is completely personal choice.
Ours has always been very comfortable, never hot.
RDB

Post by RDB »

We have had a king icomfort for 3 years and absolutely love it. We were on the fence between that and Tempurpedic, the additional cost did not seem worth it.