High end purses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TxAg

High end purses

Post by TxAg »

High end purses.....curious how many of the boglehead women have one (or more than one). By high end purse, I'm thinking $300-$500. I know they can be had for much less and a whole lot more, but this is the range I'm most interested in. Feel free to comment on other price ranges if appropriate.

The reason this comes up is that my wife rarely treats herself to anything nice. Currently, though, she is leaning towards a new purse, for which she has my full support. She deserves a treat now and again. One of the reasons I don't mind is that it is an item the uses every single day, and given her classic taste, it'll stay in style and hopefully last 5+ years being a quality piece.

I suppose my question is.... Does anyone else feel the same/different? Any pointers on places to find them cheaper online? Any brand to stay away from? Feel free to add some color.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: High end purses

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (purses).

You have good intentions, but this is yet another area where you can't tell anything from a catalog. It's also a matter of personal taste.

A better approach would be to ask one of her friends to find out exactly what she wants and get back to you. Then, buy it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

My requirements for handbags are:
1. Fit an 8.5"x11" notepad
2. Have at least one long handle, so that I can wear it over my shoulder
3. Match the color of my clothes.

All my bags are under $60.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I have offered my wife one whenever she wants. She says someday but right she is to rough on them traveling for work.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I use a laptop carrying case with some room for essentials. It's easy to sling over my shoulder.

OP - You can see where this conversation is going...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

OP -

Nordstrom's online is a great place for that price range. I had been dragging around a sturdy LL Bean shoulder bag for years. After recovery from chemo I treated myself to a black leather jacket and black quilted Chanel-style cross-body bag, each for about $250 on sale.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

As a boglehead, I think a $10 purse from Walmart or Target is a better deal.

Companies like Merrill Lynch and Louis Vuitton sell their products with massive markups due to effective marketing & sales.

If you ignore the marketing & sales, then you'll see that the cheap Vanguard index funds and $10 Walmart purses are a better deal.

And you'll also have less chance of attracting muggers.

But if you do buy an overpriced Louis Vuitton or Coach handbag, that's also ok with me, since I own LVMH and COH stocks through my Vanguard index funds, so it'll be a transfer of wealth from you to me.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I've never bought an expensive pure for my wife, and she's never bought one either. But she does have one Coach her grandson gave her for Christmas a couple years ago. The kid saved up his own money from his part time job to pay for it. She only uses it on very, very special occasions.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
peppers

Post by peppers »

My daughter has a Michael Kors purse..... $300 - $400. And then there is always Coach and Prada.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray »

Take her to an outlet store. She can pick out a high-quality purse to her liking, and you can remain a Boglehead. The outlet stores, though, usually carry only mid-level brands (like coach), and not the super upscale ones (like Hermes).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

This thread will rapidly go the way of those such as discussions about $5,000 watches.

The bottom line from other threads, about not saving everything and enjoying life too, is probably along the lines of:
-- can you/she afford something expensive?
-- will she enjoy it for a long time?
-- do you have emergency & retirement planning well funded, or on track?
... etc.

The point of planning carefully for current and future expenses isn't supposed to be to deny oneself all pleasures, or even all expensive pleasures.
And don't let others decide what gives *you* or your wife pleasure. Or whether you can "afford" it.

For some people the $300-500 range is wildly expensive.
For others, barely a minimum.

If you/she do go this route, I'd suggest doing a bit of research on styles that are really classic, and also on materials that will last and wear well.
And get something she really *likes*, or there is no point.
Trying to save somewhat and getting something she doesn't really want will probably end up being a waste.

[Putting on designer flame-resistant outfit now...]

I'd suggest NOT buying on eBay - too many counterfeits, some very well done.
A consignment shop might make sense if "new" is not important. (Again, be wary of counterfeits; I've seen a couple at high end consignment shops, although they aren't too common.)

(As for muggers, don't carry an expensive handbag when wandering around dark alleys at night.)

RM
goodenoughinvestor

Post by goodenoughinvestor »

Sounds like a worthwhile indulgence. I'd recommend she "window shop" at department stores and boutiques and then see if she can get whatever she chooses for less on ebags.com, which is always putting stuff on sale. Also, discount portals like ebates and using a "points" credit card may help you avoid the full retail sting. And yes, some outlet stores have high-quality bags. Don't know if these are local to you but if so I'd check out Neiman Marcus's Last Call and Saks' Off Fifth. I think the key is to buy a bag that is really high quality and not "just" trendy, and will therefore last a long time. One of the best purchases I ever made was a pair of classic Ray Bans. I paid full price but have probably ended up saving money because I take very good care of them--unlike their cheap drugstore-bought predecessors which amounted to a revolving door of $20 scratch-and-lose.
iceman99

Post by iceman99 »

ResearchMed wrote:This thread will rapidly go the way of those such as discussions about $5,000 watches.

The bottom line from other threads, about not saving everything and enjoying life too, is probably along the lines of:
-- can you/she afford something expensive?
-- will she enjoy it for a long time?
-- do you have emergency & retirement planning well funded, or on track?
... etc.

The point of planning carefully for current and future expenses isn't supposed to be to deny oneself all pleasures, or even all expensive pleasures.
And don't let others decide what gives *you* or your wife pleasure. Or whether you can "afford" it.

For some people the $300-500 range is wildly expensive.
For others, barely a minimum.

If you/she do go this route, I'd suggest doing a bit of research on styles that are really classic, and also on materials that will last and wear well.
And get something she really *likes*, or there is no point.
Trying to save somewhat and getting something she doesn't really want will probably end up being a waste.

[Putting on designer flame-resistant outfit now...]

I'd suggest NOT buying on eBay - too many counterfeits, some very well done.
A consignment shop might make sense if "new" is not important. (Again, be wary of counterfeits; I've seen a couple at high end consignment shops, although they aren't too common.)

(As for muggers, don't carry an expensive handbag when wandering around dark alleys at night.)

RM
/thread
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

How about a Chloe bag - it will only set you back a couple of grand! that's right - $2K for a bag. The choice is your's - a new Chloe bag or a new Target Retirement fund. :moneybag
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
peppers

Post by peppers »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:How about a Chloe bag - it will only set you back a couple of grand! that's right - $2K for a bag. The choice is your's - a new Chloe bag or a new Target Retirement fund. :moneybag
Yeah, but women get free shipping on Chloe' from Nordstoms . :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Blue

Post by Blue »

My wife and many female acquaintances vouch for the coach outlet store near us.

I splurged one year as a gift for a Louis bag from Saks, my wife returned it saying it was too much. We some time later did purchase one that she ultimately enjoyed at a "somewhat more reasonable price".

One of her favorite all time purses is a Kate Spade knock-off purse purchased on the streets of manhattan for $10 some years ago.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I never went LV, but I did do Dooney and Bourke (old style) back in the day (when they weren't so cheap - $400 used to be something). I can't remember doing Coach as I don't like unlined bags, which I remember them being way back when. I did buy a bag in the South of France that was quite nice.

Note: with sequential wives, you sometimes have to double up, but don't tell the second wife that she is getting a repeat.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I have several bags in this price range. Same deal as your wife: if you buy classics, they remain timeless.

I don't travel on business any longer, and that can beat purses up, but that is also where better quality bags show off their stuff. Might be the higher quality, but I also think other people can tell the difference and treat the bag a bit better than a more ordinary item. And most better bags are repairable, whereas bags with a glued in lining (for example) can't be repaired without destroying the lining.

I have a Celine and a Chanel I bought years ago, and if purses were investments, I'd be golden as their replacements sell for thousands now. My Cole Haan is just a few years old, in this price range bought on sale.

My daily purse is now one of two by EverPurse. They have built in chargers for the iPhone.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

I respond only because we went through this recently.

Respectfully, $300+ isn't "high end." High end designer brands like Prada, LV, Bottega Veneta, Hermes, and even Fendi are going to be around the $1500-$2000 mark for entry models, and you'll likely pay more for what you want. Worse, LV raised prices right around the time my woman was looking (within the last year). Neither materials nor construction had improved; instead LV was purposefully jacking prices to maintain some nonsensical air of exclusivity.

We passed on buying any of them. We could easily afford these brands but even the lady realized the latest pricing was out of control. She wound up buying a nice quality leather model, I think by Carolina Herrera. Still pricey and above your $500 limit, but give this designer a look. I also got the sense that there is some chachet in eschewing the main brands like LV for designers who are cheaper and off the beaten path. The thinking goes everyone has an LV and thus no one cares that you have one, you're just another dupe with the LV logo on your wrist. Not that I understand any of it.

Now that she got it, I hope I never again have to go into one of these stores looking for women's accessories. It's hell on earth. I really can't stand it, and I cannot -- cannot -- understand why women like shopping in these places, let alone the logo flaunting on some bag that no one cares about.
lululu

Post by lululu »

I buy Vera Bradley purses, the more sedately colored ones. Most of them are garish, but every couple of years or so they have a nice restrained pattern/color available.

They fit my requirements:

Not leather, so no animal cruelty.
Shoulder strap, so easier to manage.
Semi-reasonable price, $60-$80 plus or minus.

I can sew, so I considered just making mine, but in taking a close look at the Vera Bradleys, there is a lot of workmanship that goes into these, so it would be a noticeable time investment to duplicate that.

These can be thrown in the washer and dryer. One lasts me a couple of years before wear starts to get noticeable.

Easy to buy online. Saves the pain in the neck of actually "shopping."

I take out the stiffening panel in the bottom, as they are more comfortable without it. It just slides out for removal.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

My lady friend buys the cheaper fake designer bags on purpose.
scone

Post by scone »

$300-$500 gets you a mid-range mall brand, not high end. The high end ladies are playing a complex social signaling game which gets them certain privileges, like a certain seat at a restaurant. and better business contacts. For many jobs in fashion, marketing, design, and even real estate, this sort of thing matters to your success. It's exactly like a Wall Streeter wearing the "right" suit and shoes, carrying the "right" briefcase. There is also a lively resale market for certain types of bags, such as the Birkin, so in a pinch you can sell the thing.

An interesting anthropology. To view these species in their native habitat, see Manhattan or the west side of L.A.

But most Bogleheads don't care about that. For a mall brand, I recommend Brahmin. You can often get a massive discount at Nordstrom Rack. I once scored a Brahmin for $80 marked down from $350. The advantage of the Brahmin bags is, they wear like iron. My bag is 6 years old now and looks brand new. The thick, embossed leather does not show scratches at all. A Dooney bag bought at the same time is looking very worn indeed.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Taylor Larimore

Two kinds of people.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

TxAg:

There are two kinds of people: Inner-directed and outer-directed.

Outer-directed are the people who buy flashy handbags to impress others.

I prefer inner-directed people like Jack Bogle (who wears a $17 wrist-watch).

Best wishes.
Taylor

Edit: Memory failed me. Our mentor wears a $14 wrist-watch:

http://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/may172000.html
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

scone wrote:$300-$500 gets you a mid-range mall brand, not high end. The high end ladies are playing a complex social signaling game which gets them certain privileges, like a certain seat at a restaurant. and better business contacts. For many jobs in fashion, marketing, design, and even real estate, this sort of thing matters to your success. It's exactly like a Wall Streeter wearing the "right" suit and shoes, carrying the "right" briefcase. There is also a lively resale market for certain types of bags, such as the Birkin, so in a pinch you can sell the thing.

An interesting anthropology. To view these species in their native habitat, see Manhattan or the west side of L.A.
This is a good observation. I think the right approach is either to have really expensive bags that send the right signal, or to ignore this signaling all together. Going midway with a $300-500 bag must look pathetic to those who understand it.

My selection of handbags is limited to the criteria I described in an earlier message, and I am not familiar with the brands and their significance. Curiously, I was recently at an upscale event where some members of my family were also present. Two female members have exchanged remarks (in Russian) about a supposedly very impressive and expensive handbag that the woman sitting next to me had. I did not pay attention to her bag before, but now I glanced at it. It did not look interesting, let alone beautiful. I suppose, it takes some conditioning to appreciate it.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If you are married man, you buy a bag to signal your wife. Signaling is very important. In a marriage, you should be at least a little bit outer-directed, at least as far out as the person next to you.

I still like the vintage D&Bs from the 80s, but you can't get them new. I bought several of them (the serial wives thing).
https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage ... 17&bih=689
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:If you are married man, you buy a bag to signal your wife. Signaling is very important. In a marriage, you should be at least a little bit outer-directed, at least as far out as the person next to you.
Upscale underwear and perfume have higher utility in marital signaling.

Victoria
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I must be inner-outer directed. I bought myself a Claire Chase man bag. It serves a purpose (it holds more than the front pockets on my Levi's*). It looks nicer (to me) than something made out of cloth (and I don't mind eating meat).

* I have been wearing un-pre-shrunk 501s for over 50 years. I like them. Inner or outer? You decide.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

VictoriaF wrote: Upscale underwear and perfume have higher utility in marital signaling.

Victoria
Where do you get your upscale underwear*? I hope it is not a secret of yours.

* Yes, I am not married, but I might be a cross-dresser.
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

You guys are tough :)

My wife isn't flashy. She just wants a purse of relative quality that will last and that looks nice. She won't buy it for herself, though. The sunglasses analogy above applies.

For the record, the one person I know that does buy $1500 handbags lives off the bank of mom and dad.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TxAg wrote:You guys are tough :)
Not all of us. Some of us like the idea of a $400 bag, although, while I agree it isn't really high end, it is high end for most bogleheads.

Go for it, if you can cull the serious recommendations from those who would have you in Santee Alley. I like this description of downtown LA:
you pretty much count on being able to find three things downtown: Heroin, homeless addicts and counterfeit Louis Vuitton bags.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

TxAg wrote:You guys are tough :)

My wife isn't flashy. She just wants a purse of relative quality that will last and that looks nice. She won't buy it for herself, though. The sunglasses analogy above applies.
Within the past few years I have started buying Coach bags. They are well made, the store carries many classic styles and the price seems to be within your desired budget range. There are frequent sales, usually of 25%, so one can get a discount or find a Coach outlet of course. Kudos to you for your thoughtfulness in wanting to treat your spouse to something nice she wouldn't get for herself! Such partners, while great life matches, can make gifting quite frustrating. I am now trying to convince my husband to allow me to purchase a new dive buoyancy compensator (BC) that he covets but he hates spending money on treats for himself. The dark side of Bogleheadism perhaps?

As for the social signaling of bags costing north of a thousand bucks, yes indeed that is an arena in which it is probably best to steer clear unless you are interested in becoming a pretension warrior, content to take no prisoners until the bank account runs dry or you pass away with a smile on your face, clutching your Birkin while wearing your Christian Louboutins. I live in Miami, and know whereof I speak although I do not graze in those rarified fields and never will.
scone

Re: Two kinds of people.

Post by scone »

Taylor Larimore wrote:TxAg:

There are two kinds of people: Inner-directed and outer-directed.

Outer-directed are the people who buy flashy handbags to impress others.

I prefer inner-directed people like Jack Bogle (who wears a $17 wrist-watch).

Best wishes.
Taylor
At a certain level of wealth, you can do whatever you want, because everyone knows who you are. Your name and face alone are the signal. I think that's why Trump gets away with his appalling hair. So wearing a $17 wrist watch is sending a sort of "reverse cachet" social signal. This is something like the rich Silicon Valley nerds wearing T-shirts and jeans. Except that Mr. Bogle is, I imagine, trying to project his values of prudence, frugality, and rejection of vanity-- a classic Max Weber* type of guy. Silicon Valley isn't interested in that-- the message is more like, "I've got so much money I can wear comfy clothes. But make no mistake, I drive a Bugatti and have an oceanfront estate."

Social psychology and anthropolgy sez, you can't escape the signaling system no matter who you are or what values you think you are trying to project. The signals you are sending are not necessarily the signals that are received-- you aren't in control of other people's interpretations. Personally I think my mall brands likely describe me pretty accurately, for better or worse, but since I'm not playing in the NYC Bergdorf Blonde league, it doesn't matter.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protes ... Capitalism
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

[Re-adjusting flame-resistant designer outfit...]

I frequently find myself baffled by some of the judgmental comments on this website about how others spend their own money, or contemplate doing so.

Aren't the basic themes of this website, this philosophy, to invest sufficiently and wisely (most here choose this as index funds, but not all/entirely) and to "live below one's means"?

For those who earn $20-30k per year, that would imply one investment/lifestyle.
For those earning $60-80k, something different.
And for those earning well into 6 figures (or more?), yet another set of choices about how to save, and how to spend.

If purchasing a new Birkin Bag (I thought there was a wait for mere mortals about how long it would take to spend this $10k - 50+k depending, although that's from reading, not first hand experience... that would exceed our most expensive car purchase to date...) is how someone chooses to spend *available* money, why is that seemingly "wrong", as long as she/he can AFFORD it?
Why is it any more "wrong" than someone spending $50 on a new something-that-isn't-essential if the other bills/investments aren't taken care of?
In the latter case, things are *not* secure, whereas that's not the case in the former scenario.
Why is that worse than getting a second car (shouldn't a couple *share* a car always, and save that $10-50k, etc.?).

Ditto comments about how expensive a home is that someone mentions considering or recently purchasing (and "expensive" here varies *dramatically* with the cost of living in the area)...

It would be quite different if someone was writing in about how they want to purchase x extravagance, and also how they just don't seem to be able to save enough for a secure future, or in case of an emergency, etc.

???

RM
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

LadyGeek wrote:This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (purses).

You have good intentions, but this is yet another area where you can't tell anything from a catalog. It's also a matter of personal taste.

A better approach would be to ask one of her friends to find out exactly what she wants and get back to you. Then, buy it.
LadyGeek - you are correct that buying a purse sight unseen is a bad idea. However that is not to say that you shouldn't price check once you have narrowed it down.

I like http://www.ebags.com although my taste doesn't run to designer handbags in this price range. I mostly shop there for Baggalini bags and travel-related stuff. They offer good customer service, regularly offer free shipping on orders of $50+, have a rewards program, and run frequent promotions - although they usually exclude designer stuff. (I did get a great deal on a Fossil wallet when they were discontinuing the burgundy color). They are also a Fat Wallet merchant http://www.fatwallet.com which currently offers 8.5% cash back at eBags. I can attest that the quality matches what you would find in the store for the same item and that there isn't any hassle making returns (which is always free within first 30 days or 60 days if you accept a store credit) as long as the tags are still on the bag and boxed items (like luggage) are returned with the box. You go on line and print out a pre-paid UPS label and then drop it off at a UPS drop off location.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I used to buy cheap wallets until I learned the lesson of you get what you pay for (within reason). After going thru several cheap ones, I finally bought a Coach wallet. It was pretty expensive at the time, but I've been using it for nearly 12 years now and it still looks great. Break down the cost per year and it looks like a bargain.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

My wife bought an expensive(Considering our income at the time) purse early in our marriage. But she picked a good brand that was fairly durable, since she planned on keeping it for a long time. She used it as her normal, daily purse for approximately 13 years before it finally started getting too worn out. Now she's using a Coach purse, which probably cost even more, particularly with the matching pocket book, but it is really just a small splurge given our current income. If it makes your wife happy and the money is relatively inconsequential, then there's no reason not to buy it. If we aren't using the money to make ourselves happy, then what's the point?

For me, it was sunglasses. Back around 1999, my wife complained that I went out and bought a pair of $150 sunglasses, saying that was way too much to spend. She considered $50-$75 to be the most that was worth spending at the time. Since then, she's been through 4-5 different sunglasses, and I'm still wearing those same ones. I've replaced the pads on the sides a couple of times(About $15 each time), but other than that, I've worn them almost daily for 15+ years now. I've considered replacing them a few times, since they are starting to get a bit scratched up, but after that long, no others even seem to feel right.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cheese_breath wrote:I've never bought an expensive pure for my wife, and she's never bought one either. But she does have one Coach her grandson gave her for Christmas a couple years ago. The kid saved up his own money from his part time job to pay for it. She only uses it on very, very special occasions.
Of all the purses discussed in this thread, this is the one that was worth it. Congratulations on having a grandson who understands respect.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I don't have a problem with the fashion or cost, what irks me is the "value". There is no way that any of these bags are worth the price they charge. The same thing [to me] when Apple can charge $100 for $4 worth of memory to get the 32gb vs 16gb iPhone. It really offends me and I would refuse to give them my $.

Why spend all that money to try and find a "durable" purse? Buy at Target and you can afford multiples colors and designs that go with many outfits and then buy a new one when it wears out or you get tired of it. Be honest, the price is all about the name on the bag, not the "quality".
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

surfstar wrote:Be honest, the price is all about the name on the bag, not the "quality".
The price and the name on the bag send a signal. The signal is that you have a refined taste and the resources to support your taste. If you buy a fake or a mid-priced bag--you signal that either you don't have the requisite taste or that you are aspiring to something you can't afford.

I prefer to go to the other extreme and buy inexpensive bags based on their functional characteristics and overall looks. I don't know and don't care what brands they are. I do spend (and overspend) in other areas of my life that matter to me. Under the influence of this thread, I have just ordered from Amazon.com a $72.99 book that I was eying for a week. To each her own.

Victoria
scone

Post by scone »

If I have to replace a bag every year, that costs me time, which is not valueless. A massive wardrobe of cheap disposable goods costs a lot of time and costs more in maintenance. I suspect this is one reason Jack Bogle relies on his tribal preppie uniform of navy blazer, khakis, loafers, etc. The uniform never goes out of style, at least for that particular subculture, and the components can last for decades.
RunningRad

Post by RunningRad »

My wife buys a new, large Coach purse about every ten years. It is high quality, durable, and holds a lot of crap. (I jokingly refer to it as "Hermione's purse", for those who get the Harry Potter reference.) I have no idea how much it costs, but I know that it's price is dwarfed by that of the large LV bags that many of our friends (and my broke sister) carry. I do not begrudge my wife for buying this bag (and not getting one at Target, WalMart, etc. She is a professional woman, and we can afford it.
Few decisions in life motivated by greed ever have happy outcomes--Peter Bernstein, The 60/40 Solution
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

RueLaLa is selling pre-owned LVs in the $600-$700 range today (although there are some over $3k).
lululu

Post by lululu »

ResearchMed wrote:[Re-adjusting flame-resistant designer outfit...]

I frequently find myself baffled by some of the judgmental comments on this website about how others spend their own money, or contemplate doing so.

Aren't the basic themes of this website, this philosophy, to invest sufficiently and wisely (most here choose this as index funds, but not all/entirely) and to "live below one's means"?

For those who earn $20-30k per year, that would imply one investment/lifestyle.
For those earning $60-80k, something different.
And for those earning well into 6 figures (or more?), yet another set of choices about how to save, and how to spend.

If purchasing a new Birkin Bag (I thought there was a wait for mere mortals about how long it would take to spend this $10k - 50+k depending, although that's from reading, not first hand experience... that would exceed our most expensive car purchase to date...) is how someone chooses to spend *available* money, why is that seemingly "wrong", as long as she/he can AFFORD it?
Why is it any more "wrong" than someone spending $50 on a new something-that-isn't-essential if the other bills/investments aren't taken care of?
In the latter case, things are *not* secure, whereas that's not the case in the former scenario.
Why is that worse than getting a second car (shouldn't a couple *share* a car always, and save that $10-50k, etc.?).

Ditto comments about how expensive a home is that someone mentions considering or recently purchasing (and "expensive" here varies *dramatically* with the cost of living in the area)...

It would be quite different if someone was writing in about how they want to purchase x extravagance, and also how they just don't seem to be able to save enough for a secure future, or in case of an emergency, etc.

???

RM
If I could afford it, I could burn a pile of money in the street, but I would expect people to make a few comments. (Well, maybe I couldn't, there are probably no burning laws in many places.)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

ResearchMed wrote:[Re-adjusting flame-resistant designer outfit...]

You won't get any flames from me.

Why do we live below our means? So we can save. So why does anyone want to save?

I save money so that I will have money. Who saves what they don't want? Even a hoarder wants what they are hoarding.

So then the question is, why do I and so many others want money? So we can spend it. Is there any other reason? I guess some people hoard money so they can signal others of their status (like posting about how many commas they have), so for them, saving is a signaling mechanism, good in its own right. But for me, I save so I can buy the things I want to buy, whether it is an inflation adjusted annuity at age 70 or a $400 purse for a wife (not that I have one now).

Did everyone miss this thread?
When do you "limit" saving and start to spend more?
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=142556

I think the consensus answer was when you could afford to (although that may just be my prejudiced view of things).
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

For value, even if you plan to spend upwards of $1,000, avoid the bags that have hybrid materials like leather straps but somehow the body portion of it is some form of fabric. Fabric wears out eventually causing this bag to look like it is in rough shape. I also noticed the ladies who have those bags with fabric material, the logos printed on the fabric also wears out, if you worry about something like that.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

TxAg wrote:it'll stay in style
That may be a stretch. When you get into designer items, "last years model" is always out of style. That's the dangerous game you play when it comes to fashion especially.

If she gets a designer purse, get her the wardrobe to go with it. Nothing screams "I'm really trying to look cool" than someone with a Tory Burch bag wearing Target clothes. It's like putting $1000 rims on a Ford Taurus.
Taylor Larimore

What's important.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

My wife died last year. Going through her papers last week, I came across this Birthday Letter I gave her shortly after my throat-cancer operation in 2006.
Dear Pat:

Your life has been one success after another and along the way you have always been considerate of everyone around you. I am very proud to be your husband.

As you know, it is difficult for me to even put together two words through my prosthesis. Because I can't tell you, you may think that I am not aware of how much you sacrifice every day to care for me. I am absolutely amazed at how much you do and how much you care. I will be eternally grateful.

We have had over 50 years together and I am glad for every one of them. I think we are closer together in our love for one another than ever before. This makes me very happy.

I'm not good at presents, I can't get out, anyway. You can buy whatever you want (Including that Jaguar) if that's what makes you happy. What's important to me is that I have you.

Taylor
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
davebarnes

Well.

Post by davebarnes »

My wife is not a Boglehead.
She has 40.
A nerd living in Denver
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

She uses each purse 9 times a year. [Since 9 x 40 = 360, she stays home 5 days a year (6 in a leap year).] They should last for a while with so little use.

So how long will it take for her to get another 40 and cut the usage down to 4.5 times a year per purse?
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Taylor,

Very touching. Thank you for sharing.

I have to ask, did Pat get the Jag?