High end purses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: High end purses

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:She uses each purse 9 times a year. [Since 9 x 40 = 360, she stays home 5 days a year (6 in a leap year).] They should last for a while with so little use.

So how long will it take for her to get another 40 and cut the usage down to 4.5 times a year per purse?
The 40 purses are probably of different colors. The distribution of their use depends on the color schemes of the davebarnes's wife's clothes.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Taylor, thanks for sharing the letter, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Your message is well stated. I'll toast to that :sharebeer
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

user5027 wrote:Taylor,

Very touching. Thank you for sharing.

I have to ask, did Pat get the Jag?
user5027:

She bought a Honda instead. :happy

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

VictoriaF wrote:3. Match the color of my clothes.
Why?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

obgraham wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:3. Match the color of my clothes.
Why?
To look elegant.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

To look elegant.
Well, I've never been accused of that!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

obgraham wrote:
To look elegant.
Well, I've never been accused of that!
Why?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Thoughts on Marc Jacobs? Online reviews seem positive.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

One more idea: TJ Maxx

The one in Milwaukee has a large selection of medium range nicer purses, like Micheal Kors. And I often see them at great prices, marked down from their usual $300 - $500.

My father was brilliant at training us to avoid logo and trademarked apparel. Somehow he convinced us that it was inappropriate for us to be unpaid advertising billboards for Polo, Lacoste, etc. Saved him big bucks as we searched out items with no obvious logos, and the habit still stuck with me today. I just can't bring myself to buy logo-ed stuff. I have a card case from LV, and picked it out because there was only one logo, and it is tiny and unobtrusive. My Chanel bag was custom made for me when I was living in Florence, just so I could get it without the logo.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

My wife's favorite is a vintage Dooney & Bourke navy blue and tan leather handbag.

It was a gift two years ago from her mother, who bought it from her sister (wife's aunt) who runs a on-line consignment shop.

Otherwise, she goes to Target :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

It occurred to me that many of you are thinking of the Dooney and Bourke or Louis Vuitton type bags with the logos/initials all over the bag. In a word....yuck ;) not our style.

My wife's tastes (and mine) are more subdued. I think we've an idea of what might work, and the name plate is small and not terribly obvious.

As an example: this in black
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/marc-by-mar ... roductimg1
fposte

Post by fposte »

Nice looking bag, TxAg.

I really like bags, but I don't care for them well, so I rarely go into three digits. I think they're a perfectly reasonable thing to spend the kind of money you're talking about on if you'll get use and pleasure out of them. People have mentioned eBags, which is a good store; you're already looking at Nordstrom; Bluefly.com has some nice stuff sometimes even if it overstates its discount; Zappo's also carries bags. I think for many people the feel and even the smell of a bag is key to its enjoyment (heck, I feel like that about my iPod case), so if your wife might be one of those, selecting from stores like these, where things are easy to return, is a good plan, and maybe choosing two or three strong possibilities and returning the losers is the way to go. I've liked a lot of different brands, including Coach, Fossil, and some smaller brands on eBags, all of which are probably at the low end of where you're looking.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

My Canadian girlfriend loves Coach (Hermes too, but that is OFF the charts clutches are $1,500 and handbags can go over $10k top of the line).
Where she lives there are no Coach Outlets. So I have purchased several over the years, when she is in NY.
This year I bought several in from Chinatown to see if I can fool her. I even had a receipt from Coach (made it up myself).
Nope, 2 minutes and she knew it was a knockoff -- I couldn't tell the difference.
Fortunately we don't buy anymore purse; she has more than enough. The one Coach item I have is a nice money clip
that she bought me in the outlet - $40 "marked down" from $195.00
Boglemama

Post by Boglemama »

I bought a $500 Louis Vuitton bag, and matching $100 checkbook cover, when I was single, without kids, and status symbols mattered to me. I was around 23 years old and in debt up to my eyeballs. Since then, I've sold the bag (for $200) after using it for 5 years and sold the checkbook cover (for $200!)

Fast forward many years later and I just bought a $2 purse at Goodwill that originally retailed for $100! I love it! It fits all of my bag specifications. I could probably resell it for around $50, but I will keep it until it's no longer functional.

Times change, people change, values change...

I don't know if you are planning on buying her a bag, but I'd let your wife pick out her own. Maybe write a nice card that says that you will pay for one that she picks out. Bags are personal things and the one that fits her specifications might not be the one that you pick.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TxAg wrote:It occurred to me that many of you are thinking of the Dooney and Bourke or Louis Vuitton type bags with the logos/initials all over the bag. In a word....yuck ;) not our style.
Your taste is your taste, but I don't see what you see. Your bag:
A signature logo plate anchors the base of a gorgeously grained hobo cut with a clean and curvy silhouette.
MARC BY MARC JACOBS
Note the ALL-CAPS.

A typical Dooney and Bourke leather bag has either a similar plate or no plate at all, just a small circle attached to the strap. Here is a similar sized hobo from D&B. Tell me how many logos you see? How many logos did you see on your bag? [I like my facts to be facts; your taste can be your own.]

http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSc ... 0:22372:US
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

^^^ maybe I was unclear....my point is that many bags do, in fact, have the initials (logo) all over the outside. D&B and LV are two common examples. This was my response to posters referring to branding and walking advertisements. The purse I selected above has a small name plate. Big difference to me. As you said, we all have different tastes.

Here is an example:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/dooney-bour ... origin=pla

LV does the same.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I apologize for my link; it wasn't the one I intended. I wrote
Here is a similar sized hobo from D&B. Tell me how many logos you see? How many logos did you see on your bag?
Try this link.

It is a hobo just like yours is a hobo. It does not have multiple logos, just as your does not have multiple logos. It has a small metal lock, just as yours has a small metal plate. By the way, which metal piece looks larger?

It is true that if you go out of your way to find a bag with many logos on it you can find a bag with many logos on it. However, I used the word typical, and I meant typical. One bag does not typical make.

Here are the leather bags from D&B. How many of them are covered in logos? Is a typical bag covered in logos?

Now maybe you or your wife or both don't like outside pockets and like the Marc Jacobs better, but in my opinion you should not say you like the Marc Jacobs better than the D&B Samba Hobo because the Samba Hobo has too many logos on it.

P.S. Maybe it is Nordstrom that likes logos and only shows you Dooney and Bourke with logos. I like my information from the source when I can find it, which is why I went to Dooney and Bourke to learn about Dooney and Bourke, just as I go to the Code of Federal Regulations for social security to learn about social security. I don't want to learn about social security from some random website nor do I want to learn about Dooney and Bourke from some random website when Dooney and Bourke has a perfectly good one I can go to.
island

Re: Two kinds of people.

Post by island »

Taylor Larimore wrote:TxAg:

There are two kinds of people: Inner-directed and outer-directed.

Outer-directed are the people who buy flashy handbags to impress others.

I prefer inner-directed people like Jack Bogle (who wears a $17 wrist-watch).

Best wishes.
Taylor

Edit: Memory failed me. Our mentor wears a $14 wrist-watch:

http://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/may172000.html
I disagree with your broad statement. Not everyone who buys something expensive is doing so to impress others, although that myth is frequently repeated on this board.
Believe it or not some purchase for their own use and enjoyment. Plus there are expensive items that don't flash their label on the outside so no one knows the cost except the owner.

OP- Nice gift from you, but purses are a personal thing and unless you know exactly what she'd like I suggest you let her select it herself. Shop, go to lunch and enjoy the experience together. Make sure to slip in a shiny new penny for luck. No idea where that practice came from, but I like the sentiment.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Curlyq wrote:In my opinion, "designer" purses look like old lady purses, similar to what my mother used to lug around (she actually carried a pair of pliers in her purse). They are too big and bulky and look more like carry-on luggage than anything. What on earth do these women put in them? I see women carrying them and the shoulder the purse is on is always hunched to handle the weight. Don't women notice this when they are out and about? They are lop-sided.

BTW, most clothing and purses at designer outlet stores are fakes or purpose-made with cheaper materials and labor just for the outlet store.

My purses are small and hold my credit cards, folding reading glasses, and my mobile. They would likely be described as "wallet purses," but they are not really this type. They have a cross-body strap so my hands are free.

I am using the same few purses for the past several years. I bought them at a leather store in Canada. They were hand-made by the store owner. I paid roughly $30 for each. One is tan, one is brown, and one is black. I have a cool-looking tan leather backpack that I got in Norway in 1992 that I use as my briefcase. I get compliments on it and my "matching" tan purse.
And dare I ask precisely what is "wrong" with older women - and the purses (or large handbags, which you have in mind) that *some* of them choose?

This is both sexist and ageist.
Good job.

RM
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Curlyq wrote:In my opinion, "designer" purses look like old lady purses, similar to what my mother used to lug around (she actually carried a pair of pliers in her purse). They are too big and bulky and look more like carry-on luggage than anything. What on earth do these women put in them? I see women carrying them and the shoulder the purse is on is always hunched to handle the weight. Don't women notice this when they are out and about? They are lop-sided.

My purses are small and hold my credit cards, folding reading glasses, and my mobile. They would likely be described as "wallet purses," but they are not really this type. They have a cross-body strap so my hands are free.
So using the previously established criteria, are you signaling or just getting something you like?

Negative signaling (you are not an old lady, nor are you lop-sided) is just as signaling as signaling what you are (rich - not you, but others, the ones to be despised). Since signaling seems to be disapproved of by this crowd, be careful how you answer. :)
Taylor Larimore

My new wallet

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I ordered my new wallet last night:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallet-Bifold-Bil ... et+leather

I'll fill it with the money I saved. :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Curlyq wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

BTW, most clothing and purses at designer outlet stores are fakes or purpose-made with cheaper materials and labor just for the outlet store.

I am using the same few purses for the past several years. I bought them at a leather store in Canada. They were hand-made by the store owner. I paid roughly $30 for each. One is tan, one is brown, and one is black. I have a cool-looking tan leather backpack that I got in Norway in 1992 that I use as my briefcase. I get compliments on it and my "matching" tan purse.
And dare I ask precisely what is "wrong" with older women - and the purses (or large handbags, which you have in mind) that *some* of them choose?

This is both sexist and ageist.
Good job.

RM
I think that you are inferring a bit too much here. I'm both older and female (and not rich) and happen to think that the trend for larger purses (led by designer purses these days) is a bad one because the large size encourages the users (young and old) to carry around too much stuff -- which is affecting their posture. There is nothing wrong with older women nor my mother.
You wrote: "In my opinion, "designer" purses look like old lady purses..."

What if you or someone else had written "In my opinion, "designer" purses look like <insert some ethnic/racial/etc. designation>..." ?

Or just "... look like little girl purses..." or "... childrens' purses..."

It was pretty clear you weren't specifying "old lady" as a fashion-forward and much to be admired group in any way (fashion or otherwise).

If you MEANT "those gigantic bags that cause someone to keel halfway over from the weight", then it would NOT MATTER "WHO" was carrying one.

RM
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

RueLaLa has another great selection today: Bottega Veneta, Fendi, Miu Miu, Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Valentino.

One key to shopping is to keep your eyes open. For example, Fendis come with logos and without logos. If you want a Fendi without a logo, you have to shop with your eyes open so you don't buy a logo Fendi when you want a logo-free Fendi.

Note: where I live, you have to bring your own bags to the grocery store. I have seen people bagging their groceries in Fendi bags with logos and people bagging their groceries in Fendi bags without logos. I admit, it is easier to identify the Fendi bags with logos than those without, but if you keep your eyes open, you can see both.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"Not everyone who buys something expensive is doing so to impress others, although that myth is frequently repeated on this board."

I agree that it's a myth, but only those who buy expensive things for enjoyment will ever understand. I've had nice collector cars I never talk about in the RW, drive primarily at times when few people are out and always park away from people. Yet I would be accused of showing off, "signaling." I give up.

If most people seem to feel that one buys an expensive car only to show off, isn't buying an expensive car as signal a waste of money?

I believe that expensive handbags are perceived more favorably than luxury cars, possibly because half the population can't tell an expensive bag from a cheap one.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

eucalyptus wrote:"Not everyone who buys something expensive is doing so to impress others, although that myth is frequently repeated on this board."

I agree that it's a myth, but only those who buy expensive things for enjoyment will ever understand. I've had nice collector cars I never talk about in the RW, drive primarily at times when few people are out and always park away from people. Yet I would be accused of showing off, "signaling." I give up.

If most people seem to feel that one buys an expensive car only to show off, isn't buying an expensive car as signal a waste of money?

I believe that expensive handbags are perceived more favorably than luxury cars, possibly because half the population can't tell an expensive bag from a cheap one.
There also aren't knockoff cars. My wife loves the Dooney & Bourke purses that she bought from an estate sale for $5 total...neither one of us knows (or cares) if they are real.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

eucalyptus wrote:"Not everyone who buys something expensive is doing so to impress others, although that myth is frequently repeated on this board."

I think you are misinterpreting the concept of signaling. Signaling is an economics mechanism of providing others with the information that they otherwise would not have. In a classic example, you may not know the condition of a used car you are considering to buy, but if the seller provides you with a 1-year warranty he will signal that the car is reasonably reliable.

Almost everything is a signal. Expensive immaculate suits are a signal; and old jeans with holes are a signal. A Rolls-Royce is a signal, and so is a 17-year old Civic. Even if you do something for pure enjoyment, it sends a signal.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

And I wear some nice clothing when I am "at home" (and by that, I do *not* mean "at home, receiving guests!).

So, either I'm wearing them for my own enjoyment and comfort (comfort especially, many times), or I guess I'm trying to "impress" DH, who sometimes purchased a few items for me, or at least nodded approvingly before or after the purchase, so that's a bit weird...
[And I wear the same things when he is away...]
I also happen to enjoy looking at the tailoring and detail (having sewn most of my own clothes at one point in time).

Speaking of which, I guess some of the other BH's never "dressed up" for a date in "those days"?
What kind of "signaling" is that, and is it "okay" or "not okay"?
Or... dressing for a job interview?
Or a nice restaurant?
Or "just" a picnic with friends or someone special.
Sometimes entries here would suggest there's no reason not to wear ratty jeans all the time, anywhere. And the cheapest possible (just toss them when they start unraveling, and keep buying more?).
Or always get the cheapest possible dishes, etc.??

We also have some nice pictures on our walls.
I guess a "real Boglehead would have bare walls", since those are not necessities, and are just "showing off" aka "signaling" (especially those in areas where Guests never go??).
WE happen to enjoy looking at them, and often remembering where we got them, or special events/moments they signify (yes, "signaling", but privately, just between us).

And we care about COMFORT in our car,too.
Our current 10 yr old car is giving us some bone-rattling jolts when going over potholes, and it hurts. And it doesn't stop hurting the way it used to.
So we test drove a new car that had a "cushy" feel. Much better. Costs more.
We'll see.
We don't plan to be buried with pots of gold or a folder full of certificates of deposit, after all.

RM
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

VictoriaF wrote, "I think you are misinterpreting the concept of signaling."

Victoria, I understand, I should have used descriptives comprising intent, like "showing off."

In my case, I bought old cars because, among other things, I like to sit in the garage after a drive and smell the hot oil and gas. No one I respect would be impressed by my mere ownership of a car.
peppers

Post by peppers »

I'm male. I love wearing ratty jeans with holes in them when I am doing my gardening. It helps with the ventilation on hot summer days.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
RobInCT

Post by RobInCT »

My SO has a job where a $10 Wal-Mart purse would not be work-appropriate. Some industries have different dress codes than other industries. You could argue that a) SO is wrong and no one notices or cares what she's carrying, b) even if people do notice or care, if she's a good enough employee they'll get over it, c) even if people do notice or care, she should disregard their concerns and try to set a new trend.

I don't have any opinion about the truth of any of those arguments, and since she/we make plenty of money and save plenty of money and since she's frugal about other things, I don't ask or care about her clothing purchases. She suggests your wife check out Kooba, which you can sometimes find at a discount on various websites that sell lower-end luxury brand (i.e. not Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc.) at a discount.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

RobInCT wrote:My SO has a job where a $10 Wal-Mart purse would not be work-appropriate. Some industries have different dress codes than other industries. You could argue that a) SO is wrong and no one notices or cares what she's carrying, b) even if people do notice or care, if she's a good enough employee they'll get over it, c) even if people do notice or care, she should disregard their concerns and try to set a new trend.
When I was young, I picked c). I got a job at a school where male professors wore ties and jackets. I wore neither, but I did have a 6" red afro. Two years later, there were only a few holdout still wearing jackets and ties. More than one of those who changed told me my style was what inspired them to dress more comfortably.
RobInCT

Post by RobInCT »

sscritic wrote:
RobInCT wrote:My SO has a job where a $10 Wal-Mart purse would not be work-appropriate. Some industries have different dress codes than other industries. You could argue that a) SO is wrong and no one notices or cares what she's carrying, b) even if people do notice or care, if she's a good enough employee they'll get over it, c) even if people do notice or care, she should disregard their concerns and try to set a new trend.
When I was young, I picked c). I got a job at a school where male professors wore ties and jackets. I wore neither, but I did have a 6" red afro. Two years later, there were only a few holdout still wearing jackets and ties. More than one of those who changed told me my style was what inspired them to dress more comfortably.
I imagine the ability to do that depends somewhat on the industry you work in. I haven't been out of college so long that I don't remember that standards of dress among faculty were much more variable than standards of dress among, say, accountants or funeral home directors. And I'm not sure that all it would take for members of Congress to ditch the ties and jackets is one Congressperson with the courage to sport jeans and a T-shirt on the floor of the House.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

RobInCT wrote:And I'm not sure that all it would take for members of Congress to ditch the ties and jackets is one Congressperson with the courage to sport jeans and a T-shirt on the floor of the House.
Congresspeople compensate for the required formality by twitting their less formal images.

Victoria
island

Post by island »

VictoriaF wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting the concept of signaling. Signaling is an economics mechanism of providing others with the information that they otherwise would not have. In a classic example, you may not know the condition of a used car you are considering to buy, but if the seller provides you with a 1-year warranty he will signal that the car is reasonably reliable.

Almost everything is a signal. Expensive immaculate suits are a signal; and old jeans with holes are a signal. A Rolls-Royce is a signal, and so is a 17-year old Civic. Even if you do something for pure enjoyment, it sends a signal.

Victoria
Well every word, deed, movement, object, whatever, sends a signal. How it's interpreted is in the mind of the beholder. Free to interpret, misinterpret to their heart's content and when it comes to Bogleheads many seem to pick up monetary signals from everything. Fortunately I don't have that sixth sense.
But I digress.
The dude just wants to give his wife a nice purse in a certain price range. Period. Take it for what it is and maybe we can all save the hidden meaning, signaling stuff for the countless posts about struggling with frugality and keeping up with the Jones spending else it will get closed for all the OT nonsense.
OP doesn't appear to have any qualms about this purchase and good for him!

BTW another vote for Nordstrom if you want to see a variety of brands. Sometimes decent finds at the half year sale, but usually limited selection. Coach bags have a lot of classic styles, but lately the outlet in my area only has the cheap looking styles covered in logos that are favored by resellers who buy them by the dozen. Worth checking out though and worth paying retail since I find they last forever. Brighton is another brand that will have options in that price range.

Please let us know what you or she chooses. :D
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

island wrote:The dude just wants to give his wife a nice purse in a certain price range. Period. Take it for what it is and maybe we can all save the hidden meaning, signaling stuff for the countless posts about struggling with frugality and keeping up with the Jones spending else it will get closed for all the OT nonsense. OP doesn't appear to have any qualms about this purchase and good for him!
The OP started his post with the phrase:
TxAg wrote:High end purses.....curious how many of the boglehead women have one (or more than one).
A response about not having high end purses is a legitimate answer, no?

Victoria
island

Post by island »

VictoriaF wrote:
island wrote:The dude just wants to give his wife a nice purse in a certain price range. Period. Take it for what it is and maybe we can all save the hidden meaning, signaling stuff for the countless posts about struggling with frugality and keeping up with the Jones spending else it will get closed for all the OT nonsense. OP doesn't appear to have any qualms about this purchase and good for him!
The OP started his post with the phrase:
TxAg wrote:High end purses.....curious how many of the boglehead women have one (or more than one).
A response about not having high end purses is a legitimate answer, no?

Victoria
Oh sorry, you're right. Then I guess my answer should have been yes I have some.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

My wife used to love Coach. She still likes them but now also has Michael Kors and Mark by Mark Jacobs. I don't mind, purses get a lot of usage every day and as long as she is sticking to the $200-350 purses once a year then so be it. A lot cheaper than other things that we could be buying.
vveat

Post by vveat »

Until a couple of years ago I had never bought a purse for more than $50-60. It wasn't a matter of affordability, I am a highly paid professional, it's just that I don't care much about designer clothing or accessories, I don't "get" the branding and rarely notice what others wear. Our dress code is business and I usually carry a laptop bag, so no big deal. Well, 2 years ago a friend gave me as a gift a DKNY Saffiano leather handbag, I think it was about $250-300. I liked it and started using it for my laptop. To my surprise I started getting random compliments from women strangers on the handbag :shock: and after wearing it daily with all my work stuff inside for 2 years it still looks as good as new, while my previous purses started looking edge-worn in a year or less.
I haven't converted to branded because of this, but I think I'll go for a more expensive handbag next time again :sharebeer
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

First off, in response to the op, my wife recommends Michael Kors & Kate Spade for your price range. They have both trendy & classic styling of purses & it's in your price range. Michael Kors leans a little bit more than Kate Spade on the conservative side for semi-formal & casual setting. Kate Spade has a younger & trendier vibe to it.

My wife too agrees that the purses with the company's logo stamped all over it (LV, D&B, Coach) are not as aesthetically pleasing. Plus, why provide free advertisement for those companies. Furthermore, the material of LV & Coach bags, for example, are not even real leather. It is a treated canvas, yet they are charging leather prices!

In response to other posters telling op to just cheap out and get a <insert low price amount> purse, why? OP wants to show some live for his wife. So what if it costs a few hundred. Cheap price to have a happy wife in my opinion. And OP will likely reap more in return for that gesture.

However, my wife also agrees with the other ladies' comment that you should probably take her out, bring your credit card, & let her choose the purse. It's something that's very personal, taste wise.

I also agree with some other posters that $300-$400 range would likely fall under the moderate range. High end purses like Gucci, Fendi, Valentino, Chloe, TODS, Hermes usually run in the thousands.

Per my wife, expensive / trendy purses have their place in every woman's wardrobe. Just like one has different "levels" of shoes & clothes for different settings (work, night on the town, wedding banquets, white tie formal ballroom events), there's a different purse for each occasion. Even if one doesn't go to formal occasions often, it's nice to have at least one so one's prepared, just like every guy has at least one suit for those occasions.

And unfortunately / fortunately (depending on how you look at it), people are shallow in general, & will treat you better at restaurants & shops when a woman is carrying a nice purse. I'm guessing it signals that you have $$$ to spend, or that they like customers with high end tastes in their shops, indirectly implying their establishment is high end. (eg restaurants that valet customers with high end cars right in front of the restaurant & less desirable cars elsewhere.)
BamBam

Post by BamBam »

Are you looking for a purse or a handbag? Where l come from, a purse refers to a wallet, in which case your price makes it high end. If she's using it daily, l suspect you might be referring to a wallet. I would like to suggest Brahmin. Their stuff lasts for ages. The wallet at Macy's will run you about $250 or so, but they have outlets now. I was able to get one for $150. I love it, l use it every single day. I love my handbags, and they cost a lot, but l alternate them. My wallet however, will be used daily for years to come. Good luck with your choice.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

semperlux wrote: My wife too agrees that the purses with the company's logo stamped all over it (LV, D&B, Coach) are not as aesthetically pleasing. Plus, why provide free advertisement for those companies. Furthermore, the material of LV & Coach bags, for example, are not even real leather. It is a treated canvas, yet they are charging leather prices!
I will assume your wife knows that not every LV, D&B, and Coach is covered in the company's logo and that you and she are not trying to imply otherwise. The "every D&B is covered with logos" myth was debunked earlier for anyone who had the intellectual honesty to look at their webpage and view their offerings.

All the brands give you choices. Not every LV is a monogram bag, which is a coated canvas, as you can find LVs that are calfskin (yes, that is leather). Also, the vernis (check your French dictionary) bags are patent leather, which starts with leather:
In general, patent leather begins as a superior grade of fine grain leather that undergoes a process to achieve the glossy look.
P.S. Some is a good word. Compare the following, one of which is true and one of which is false.
bogleheads are too lazy to search
some bogleheads are too lazy to search
P.P.S. Most real leather LVs cost more than the equivalent treated canvas LVs. I am not sure if you were comparing leather LVs with canvas LVs when you said that LV charged leather prices for canvas bags. The Deesse PM is leather and is listed at $23,500, and the Deesse MM is $32,500. I don't know that they have a canvas bag at those prices.
http://us.louisvuitton.com/front/#/eng_ ... ANT-N91214

P.P.P.S. I don't really know anything about bags, but I do read. I just discovered that Marc Jacobs was a designer for LV before leaving to start his own company.
Following months of speculation, Marc Jacobs has confirmed that he is to leave Louis Vuitton after 16 years at the helm.
The 50-year-old designer will now focus on his eponymous brands, Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs.
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/ ... itton.html
Topic Author
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I decided to show the wife this thread last night. She laughed at our unique and varied opinions. We both appreciate the input. Please continue to discuss as needed.

In case anyone is wondering, we're getting the purse (a purse). I'll let her pick it out, though. And, yes, our financial house is in order so I don't feel too bad spending the money... we don't splurge often.

:sharebeer
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TxAg wrote:I decided to show the wife this thread last night. She laughed at our unique and varied opinions. We both appreciate the input. Please continue to discuss as needed.

In case anyone is wondering, we're getting the purse (a purse). I'll let her pick it out, though. And, yes, our financial house is in order so I don't feel too bad spending the money... we don't splurge often.

:sharebeer
Good. Buy her something she likes, and be sure to go with her. I actually liked shopping for purses with my wives, but, alas, it is an experience never to be repeated. [I could put a sad face here, but I am happily committed to never marrying again.]
emilyinsf

Post by emilyinsf »

I have a couple that were originally priced in the $300-$500 range, but I got them on sale, and don't think I've ever spent more than $150 for a purse. My work dress code is business professional, so I need bags that match. Nordstrom is great. I took some D&B bags from the 80's there to be refurbished (leather, only logo is a small picture of a duck), and they did it for a small charge. Their return policy has always been very generous, so if you're going to spend the money, it's worth spending it there. Outlets/discount stores like TJ Maxx and Ross have big discounts, but often have a smaller selection and limited colors. If you're looking for a classic bag that she'll carry every day, I would probably lean toward just going to Nordstrom or another department store instead of getting a discount on something that is not quite right. In looking for a bag that lasts and that your wife will use for years, here are a few of my thoughts: It's a personal issue, but I can tell that the short strap on the Marc Jacobs bag you posted wouldn't fit well over my shoulder, and I don't like wearing bags across my body, so that one wouldn't work for me. Make sure it has a zipper instead of a buckle/magnetic closure so that she doesn't have to worry about her wallet being slipped out in crowded places. Some structured bags have little metal feet on the bottom, which help to prevent wear. I have a Cole Haan purse that has side pockets that fit water bottles/coffee cups. I think this is the style: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/29977153742375938/. It's nice to bring coffee from home and have both hands free. I have had good experience with Cole Haan, Coach, and D&B (but only have D&B bags from the 80's). Consider getting something in a color that will match black, brown, navy, and summery clothes so that she can wear it with everything all year. Gray, tan, red, and olive green seem to work year round.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:I actually liked shopping for purses with my wives, but, alas, it is an experience never to be repeated. [I could put a sad face here, but I am happily committed to never marrying again.]
For a happily single guy you are remarkably knowledgeable in--and proud about your knowledge of--high end purses.

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

DW loves her Louis Vuitton bags.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

chaz wrote:DW loves her Louis Vuitton bags.
And coming from chaz, that's saying a lot. :)