Decorator or item-by-item provider?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wading Ashore

Decorator or item-by-item provider?

Post by Wading Ashore »

I just had a home project done very poorly (drapes). I need some more work done, but I obviously don't want the same person.

I don't want the break the bank, but I want a decent job this time around. I spoke to two interior decorators, who will probably be a lot more money than say, a free-standing upholsterer or window shade fabricator.

Was wondering if Bogleheads have worked with decorators, if they think it's worth it in terms of quality and stress reduction (!), or if it's a silly extravagance.

Will be very grateful for all responses.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
Hayden

Re: Decorator or item-by-item provider?

Post by Hayden »

I've spent a lot of time and money on window coverings, with varied results. The last time, I went to a showroom in a nearby town (not my town). Big, nice place. I asked them if they knew who was the best for installing window coverings in my town. They called the distributor who knew everyone in the region. The distributor referred me to someone who was fabulous.

Prior to that, I used the services of a large department store (big mistake), and the services of a decorator (overpriced for what I received).

I do think there is value to decorators, however, if you need help, or are looking for ideas. A decorator may help to avoid a costly mistake.
Topic Author
Wading Ashore

Re: Decorator or item-by-item provider?

Post by Wading Ashore »

Thanks, Hayden. That was very helpful. I don't need a lot of designing as such -- most of the work will be replacing what's there. I just want it done properly. The designer's contract contains a disclaimer: "The designer ... cannot be responsible for the performance, quality, or timely completion of work by others." Well, that's exactly what I do want! Probably better to keep working at finding a reliable provider.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.