Should I buy a Kindle Fire?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Julieta

Should I buy a Kindle Fire?

Post by Julieta »

I'm thinking about buying a Kindle Fire. I have an IPad and Amazon Prime. So I like both and can watch streaming movies and TV. However, I understand the book selection is better with a Kindle device and the movies on Kindle Fire and Prime are better. I also learned of the free book per month. Have you liked these books?

Is the Kindle device book selection to your satisfaction?

If you have a Kindle Fire for reading and watching movies what is your opinion of the device and has it been worth the expenditure?
Keep It Simple
chaz

Re: Should I buy a Kindle Fire?

Post by chaz »

I have the kindle app on my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
barton277

Post by barton277 »

I really enjoy my Kindle Fire because I really enjoy Amazon. If I was indifferent about Amazon, it would just be okay. Prime makes the Kindle Fire valuable for me - books, movies, and now music are included with my prime subscription so I'm always using it.

That being said, the Silk browser is lackluster. It will work in a pinch, but crashes too often for my tastes. And for reading I actually prefer the e-reader Kindle (not the Fire) because it's easier on the eyes.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

If you have an iPad and Amazon Prime, you can use the Kindle app to access Kindle books. Use the Amazon Instant Video app to access amazon streaming video content.

If you'd like to read outside in the sun, you may be better off with a Kindle e-reader ($69), Kindle Paperwhite ($119), Kindle Paperwhite 3G ($189).
Wiki
Topic Author
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

barton277 wrote:I really enjoy my Kindle Fire because I really enjoy Amazon. If I was indifferent about Amazon, it would just be okay. Prime makes the Kindle Fire valuable for me - books, movies, and now music are included with my prime subscription so I'm always using it.

That being said, the Silk browser is lackluster. It will work in a pinch, but crashes too often for my tastes. And for reading I actually prefer the e-reader Kindle (not the Fire) because it's easier on the eyes.
So what do you enjoy about the Kindle Fire book, movies and music? It seems you like the selection of Kindle Fire better...is that right?
Keep It Simple
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I was under the impression that if you had a kindle account and prime subscription that all the content is available to you via kindle app whether you're using an iPad, android tablet or Kindle Fire. Definitely download these apps to your iPad before considering the purchase of a Kindle Fire tablet.

For streaming movies and TV shows, you may prefer a streaming box that is connected to your TV. A Roku box is about $99 and will stream content from Amazon Instant Video (Prime), netflix, Hulu Plus, PBS, HBO Go and many more. Much better experience for video than a tablet.
Wiki
Topic Author
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

DSInvestor wrote:I was under the impression that if you had a kindle account and prime subscription that all the content is available to you via kindle app whether you're using an iPad, android tablet or Kindle Fire. Definitely download these apps to your iPad before considering the purchase of a Kindle Fire tablet.

For streaming movies and TV shows, you may prefer a streaming box that is connected to your TV. A Roku box is about $99 and will stream content from Amazon Instant Video (Prime), netflix, Hulu Plus, PBS, HBO Go and many more. Much better experience for video than a tablet.
Hi DSI, that's what I thought, too, but got a rude awakening when I downloaded an ebook this morning and got charged for it. I used their chat to talk to a rep and was told that a Kindle reader was required to read it free. That is why I'm checking out the advantages of the Kindle Fire.
Keep It Simple
Topic Author
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

DSInvestor wrote:I was under the impression that if you had a kindle account and prime subscription that all the content is available to you via kindle app whether you're using an iPad, android tablet or Kindle Fire. Definitely download these apps to your iPad before considering the purchase of a Kindle Fire tablet.

I was thinking about the Roku box, too. Sounds like that is good for video. And Kindle Fire for reading a wider selection from Amazon.
Keep It Simple
Michread

Post by Michread »

I have a Kindle and with the prime books the pickins' are slim! I much prefer downloading library e-books for my Kindle - the selection is much larger!
Early retirement 2018
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

You must be talking about the Kindle Owner Lending Library (KOLL). If you own a Kindle device (Fire or e-reader) and are a Prime member, then you gain access to the KOLL. According to Amazon, there are over 500,000 ebooks in the KOLL. You may borrow ebooks, I think only one at a time, with no due date.

My wife and I both have Kindle ereaders and she has a Fire. I prefer the ereader for reading books.

If you read a lot, I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. If you are able to make much use of the KOLL, you might "make your money back" on the ereader purchase in short order.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I use my Kindle Fire HD for reading, music, watching Prime movies, TED videos, listening to podcasts, etc. One advantage I enjoy is to kick in the audio option to have the book read aloud to you. There are many apps, often free, and easy to install and use. I stream in radio programs, and various news broadcasts. I'm currently e-reading Bernstein's "Four Pillars" although I have the hardcover version as well. There are many reviews out there about each model, some with comparisons to tablets. I found it to be versatile and useful.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

In my opinion, the Kindle fire would be redundant if you own an iPad. Load the Kindle app on your iPad and you are all set. If you said your wanted a Kindle paper white primarily for reading books I would say go for it. The Kindle paper white has e-ink which allows reading in all lighting conditions and very long battery life between charges. You already own the premiere tablet with the iPad.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
lululu

Post by lululu »

I use the Kindle app on my Nook HD+. I don't care what B&N does about these, since there are so many non-B&N apps available. Android is hiding in there.
fandango

Post by fandango »

I use my iPad to stream Amazon Prime movies. There is a great selection of movies and TV shows (old and new) available.

I use my Kindle for e-reading. A little easier on the eyes than the iPad. I have owned the Kindle for 4 years with no issues but will probably upgrade to the Kindle Paper White soon.

In addition to downloading library books, I download Kindle Prime books and Kindle First books monthly. Kindle First books are complete books that are about to be released soon. You get to pick one of four options each month.

For the Kindle Prime fee of $99 per year (just went up), I think this is a tremendous value. Especially when you add in free two-day shipping on other orders.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

If you want a Kindle Fire it's not a terrible tablet but don't get it just for free books.... the free Prime books are truly thin selection. Major publishers are naturally reluctant to give Amazon the rights to do this as their revenue drops substantially vs. a normal sale. So it's mostly self-publishers and a few teasers and other stuff and this is unlikely to change soon.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

we have kindle fire HD 8.9. we love it-we also have prime. However i buy things from amazon enough where prime makes it worthwhile.my wife does buy a lot of books
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We wrestled with this same decision two years ago and settled on an iPad. We have no regrets.

Apple simply makes the best products. They just work.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

I'm another happy iPad/Kindle app user. Nothing to it.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I've read enough news stories about Amazon deleting e-books from customers' accounts and even remotely wiping them from their devices that, as much as I'd like to jump into e-books, I simply don't trust Amazon enough to do so.

So, I'd vote "no" on the Fire.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

FedGuy wrote:I've read enough news stories about Amazon deleting e-books from customers' accounts and even remotely wiping them from their devices that, as much as I'd like to jump into e-books, I simply don't trust Amazon enough to do so.

So, I'd vote "no" on the Fire.
I always save a copy of any ebooks I purchase in several forms, unencrypted. The day amazon successfully prevents me from decrypting a purchased book is the day I stop buying from them. For now, it is straightforward

Consider the purchase price what you have at risk for that scenario.

I do own a kindle paperwhite, but most of my reading is on an ipad.

lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

Do you folks mostly watch movies on your ipad or kindle fire? Or do you use your tablets with your tv set as a monitor with a hdmi connector? I'm curious about the latter. Is that the better way to go when you are at home?