Want to Save Money? Be Polite!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Want to Save Money? Be Polite!

Post by TravelforFun »

A sign at a restaurant in Nice, France reads:

Coffee Prices on the Terrace
"One coffee" .....................................7 Euros
"One coffee, please"............................4.25 Euros
"Good morning! One coffee please" ....... 1.40 Euros

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... -customers
MrManlyMister

Re: Want to Save Money? Be Polite!

Post by MrManlyMister »

LOL!

What's the polite phrase that results in free coffee?
thedayisbrave

Post by thedayisbrave »

MrManlyMister wrote:LOL!

Haha, I love it! To the question above: make friends with the baristas. May not get you free coffee every single time, but when I worked at a coffee shop we were definitely more generous with the customers considered our "favorites" :happy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My family accuses me of having the human equivalent of a puppy's wagging tail. It is nearly always appreciated by the various clerks, waiters, cashiers, gasoline pumpers, etc. that I encounter, and sometimes I get to say to the family: "scoff all you want, but that act of generosity/kindness/decency you just witnessed was because of my tail wagging."

Btw, for all the joshing they give me, the kids are pretty darned respectful and friendly with the people they interact with. They learn what they see, not so much what they're told.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Have you noticed that the news paper weblink has "police customers" and not "polite customers" at the end.
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

TomatoTomahto wrote:My family accuses me of having the human equivalent of a puppy's wagging tail. It is nearly always appreciated by the various clerks, waiters, cashiers, gasoline pumpers, etc.
Gasoline pumpers? What's that? LOL
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TravelforFun wrote:A sign at a restaurant in Nice, France reads:

I have been given multiple free lattes at Starbucks and the occassional free dinner at a restaurant. So sometimes being polite does pay.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TravelforFun wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:My family accuses me of having the human equivalent of a puppy's wagging tail. It is nearly always appreciated by the various clerks, waiters, cashiers, gasoline pumpers, etc.
Gasoline pumpers? What's that? LOL
You obviously don't live in NJ. We're not trusted to pump our own gas. I accidentally typed it as gasoline pampers the first time, which is possibly a more appropriate spelling.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

MrManlyMister wrote:LOL!

My original thought was to order in French, but I see the OP was not literal.
"Good morning! One coffee please" is 10 Euro.
"One coffee" gets the pot in your lap.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

TomatoTomahto wrote: You obviously don't live in NJ. We're not trusted to pump our own gas.
Oregon's the same way.

I remember driving a rental car there once and pulling over to fill up. I was chagrined to find that there were no self-serve pumps... so I drove down the street to the next gas station. Oddly, it was the same thing!

Eventually an attendant explained what was going on. :oops:
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Taylor Larimore

Being Polite.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Travelforfun:

Perhaps the greatest benefit of being polite is that it makes you feel better knowing you are a good human being.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Abe

Post by Abe »

"Good morning! One coffee please and thank you"....1.00 Euros :wink:
(curtsy when you say it)
Slow and steady wins the race.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

One would argue that you should always be polite. In most cases, it's a sign of respect. In another case, you are trying to get something from the other person, so you have to hold your temper and ask nicely so you can get your stuff back, even if you feel like strangling the other person.

Paul
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

paulsiu wrote:One would argue that you should always be polite. In most cases, it's a sign of respect. In another case, you are trying to get something from the other person, so you have to hold your temper and ask nicely so you can get your stuff back, even if you feel like strangling the other person.

Paul
IMHO being polite is primarily a sign of respect to yourself. It signals that you come from a cultured/civilized family.

Anakin
dl7848

Post by dl7848 »

If you're an employee providing a service, obviously it makes the day more worthwhile when the customers are polite.

But if you're a customer dealing with a service provider, competence is what's most important (to me at least). I'm pretty much indifferent to if the waiter, the customer service rep or the sales clerk is "nice" or "friendly". What I care about is that they know how to do their job! Especially with technical support people. A task almost worst than death is trying to talk with a tech support person at an ISP. They are unfailiningly polite and have probably all been forced to take some kind of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" course, but they are also almost unfailingly frustratingly subpar at providing technical support. :D
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

JupiterJones wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote: You obviously don't live in NJ. We're not trusted to pump our own gas.
Oregon's the same way.
No I don't live in NJ or OR. Here in Texas, full-service gas stations no longer exist.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TravelforFun wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:
Oregon's the same way.
No I don't live in NJ or OR. Here in Texas, full-service gas stations no longer exist.
I'm not sure that what we have are "full-service," but you're not supposed to pump your own gas. There are, however, some that will take your clean windshield and smear it up, but thankfully those are more rare than ones with free air for your tires.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I think I'm polite but I'm not friendly. :(
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

I'm the sort who'd be just fine submitting the order via computer screen.

Does that get me an additional discount?

(Just so you have an idea of the mindset at work, I'd love to see an automated fast food restaurant. Submit your order, and then watch the machinery build it. :D)
dl7848

Post by dl7848 »

fareastwarriors wrote:I think I'm polite but I'm not friendly. :(
I think polite and "businesslike" is the way to go. If we're friendly, that's just leverage to extract more of our net worth out of us. These days, if a customer service rep is friendly and you return the friendliness, they feel it's their right to put you in a more expensive Internet plan. Or they may guilt you into thinking they will be denied a promotion if you don't fill out a customer satisfaction survey. Or you may feel forced into leaving a bigger tip than you would otherwise because you've just had a friendly chat with the wait person and now you are best buds or BFFs. This can all be gotten around by being polite, but businesslike.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dl7848 wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:I think I'm polite but I'm not friendly. :(
I think polite and "businesslike" is the way to go. If we're friendly, that's just leverage to extract more of our net worth out of us.
I'm sorry that has been your experience. I find that very few people try to take advantage of friendliness, and I don't think you have to be gullible to be friendly (although they do sometimes go together).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If I toast with the coffee and say 'Ваше здоровье!' will I get it for 0.95 Euros?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

VictoriaF wrote:

If I toast with the coffee and say 'Ваше здоровье!' will I get it for 0.95 Euros?

Victoria
Sure! Why not? Cheers!!!
jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 »

My stance is this, because I want people to be polite to my, I must be polite to them first.

In other words, I always give before I ask.

RESULT: The return of GOOD Karma
Abe

Post by Abe »

My mother used to say "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". She was right about that. If you are nice to people, they will be nice to you, sometimes even going out of their way to be nice. It's just common sense. I've always tried to do that, and it works. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Abe wrote:My mother used to say "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". She was right about that. If you are nice to people, they will be nice to you, sometimes even going out of their way to be nice. It's just common sense. I've always tried to do that, and it works. :happy
Make a Vinegar Trap for Fruit Flies [aka vinegar fly]:
http://insects.about.com/od/insectssoci ... -Flies.htm
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (save money).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LateStarter1975

Re: Being Polite.

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Travelforfun:

Perhaps the greatest benefit of being polite is that it makes you feel better knowing you are a good human being.

Best wishes
Taylor

This
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:
Oregon's the same way.
I'm not sure that what we have are "full-service," but you're not supposed to pump your own gas. There are, however, some that will take your clean windshield and smear it up, but thankfully those are more rare than ones with free air for your tires.
It would be funny if people pulled in and pumped gas for each other. Just to skirt the rule.

I wonder what the training consists of that allows the attendants to safely pump the gas in a way that no customer could ever accomplish without such training. Was it a union thing that led to such laws? Or am I misunderstanding?

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Best wishes
Taylor
Yep!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
StoppedOut

Post by StoppedOut »

Kalo wrote:It would be funny if people pulled in and pumped gas for each other. Just to skirt the rule.

I wonder what the training consists of that allows the attendants to safely pump the gas in a way that no customer could ever accomplish without such training. Was it a union thing that led to such laws? Or am I misunderstanding?

Kalo
No, they really don't trust us. I guess you've never watched Jersey Shore. Besides, we have so many lawyers that every time some rocket surgeon barbecued himself, there would be a law suit - even if it was caused by the customer trying to juggle three blow torches while pumping his gas. Litigation here is practically a form of sport.

I'm not even completely convinced they believe we know how gasoline works, what with the spark and the boom. So even if we would follow the rules (yeah, right), the danger would still be there since many wouldn't take it seriously. 'Look the poor dog seems hot. Let's wet him down with some nice cool gasoline.' :wink:
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

sschullo wrote:

Best wishes
Taylor
Yep!
Exactly.
The object is to make you laugh, and as a result, to want to be a nice person, which will make you laugh even more.
Not to save a euro or two.
Especially given that Nice is a tourist destination, the sign is in English (and thus directed at you, not at the locals), and it probably cost you thousands of euros just to get there. You can afford 7 euros for coffee.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Abe wrote:My mother used to say "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". She was right about that. If you are nice to people, they will be nice to you, sometimes even going out of their way to be nice. It's just common sense. I've always tried to do that, and it works. :happy
It always amazes me how many people are rude to waiters, flight attendants, etc. and think that making a stink will get them free a free meal or an upgrade to a better seat. The person you are berating likely had nothing to do with creating the problem at hand, but may very well have the discretion to fix it. Why alienate them?

I have a friend who is always polite and professional and who ALWAYS asks for perks that she thinks are within the discretion of the person with whom she is dealing. We recently traveled together overseas on an airline for which she had elite status, which entitled her to a free upgrade to preferred seating (i.e., extra leg room). The upgrade cost for me would have been $159, but she called the customer service agent and told her that she was traveling with a friend who didn't have elite status. I was upgraded for free.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

jmndu99 wrote:My stance is this, because I want people to be polite to my, I must be polite to them first.

In other words, I always give before I ask.

RESULT: The return of GOOD Karma
“And, in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make.”

A philosophy I have always lived by. It must work, I'm one happy guy. :sharebeer
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cherijoh wrote:It always amazes me how many people are rude to waiters, flight attendants, etc. and think that making a stink will get them free a free meal or an upgrade to a better seat. The person you are berating likely had nothing to do with creating the problem at hand, but may very well have the discretion to fix it. Why alienate them?
An example I've pointed out to my children:
http://www.finlit.fi/fili/en/books/dont-you-know-who-i-am-a-history-of-arrogance/ wrote:Sometimes self-importance comes at a high price: Sir Richard Branson launched a search for a director of his Virgin business empire on a TV programme called The Rebel Billionaire. The competitors were driven to Branson’s mansion in a taxi. The driver was always Branson himself, who disguised himself as a taxi driver. The driver chatted with the contestants during the journey. Once the taxi reached its destination, Branson removed his disguise. He eliminated two contestants straight away because they had conducted themselves poorly during the taxi ride. Branson believed that a contemptuous attitude towards ordinary people was also damaging for his company.
Some years ago, my wife had a technical employee who wanted very much to move into management. He was a technical talent, very hard-working, etc. During a lunch with him and some other co-workers, he was very rude to the waiter, and afterwards, my wife talked about how he probably had no idea that the lunch had cost him a 6-digit amount annually.

I was a cab driver for a short time between undergrad and grad school. People's true character comes out when they think they're dealing with someone with a lower station in life.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Best wishes
Taylor
Indeed. Thank you Taylor! :happy
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

astrohip wrote:
“And, in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make.”
My favorite Beatles' quote too.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

protagonist wrote: Especially given that Nice is a tourist destination, the sign is in English
That's a very strange version of English that looks exactly like French. Here is the link again. Please read it this time.

sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
protagonist wrote: Especially given that Nice is a tourist destination, the sign is in English
That's a very strange version of English that looks exactly like French. Here is the link again. Please read it this time.

A sign at a restaurant in Nice, France reads:

That doesn't look like French to me. Now if you are saying the OP posted a misleading post, assuming that everyone would know that reads is just another word for translates as, then I would agree. In fact, when I first clicked on the link, I was surprised it was in French; I thought at least half if not more of the point was that the sign was in English. What is more polite than a French business posting a sign in English for the English speaking tourists?

So who didn't read? The OP, who couldn't tell French from English, protagonist, who couldn't tell French from English, or everyone who didn't know what reads means?
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Best wishes
Taylor
Unfortunately many people and groups make up rules so they can feel good about themselves while scorning outsiders for not knowing them. This is not politeness. It's simply another form of prejudice.

Politeness respects the dignity and worth of everybody, even when they are different from you. The, probably apocryphal, hostess who mimics her uninformed guest by drinking her own finger bowl comes to mind.
dl7848

Post by dl7848 »

d
Last edited by dl7848 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Best wishes
Taylor
I concur! I do feel better when I am being polite and I try very hard to always be polite. I learned that from my Mother -- It makes the receiver of the politeness feel better and that is my purpose for trying to be polite. There are no losers when a person is polite -- everyone feels better and that is good! :D
Complimenting people for doing something well has the same properties as politeness. When someone does something wrong he often gets criticism. When he does something well he rarely gets complimented. It really makes both of you feel especially good when compliments are handed out (it is even better when you pass the word on to his boss/her also)!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!