Wind blew off shingles, now roof is leaking!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bustoff

Wind blew off shingles, now roof is leaking!

Post by Bustoff »

At the end of February a wind storm blew some shingles off our roof. The insurance company sent a restoration company out to tarp that section of the roof. The area consisted of about six sq. ft. and was located just above two skylights. The insurance company then sent an adjuster who issued a check to cover the cost of re-roofing that slope. However, since the roof is 15 years old we decided to replace the entire roof and pay the difference out of our own pocket and have been looking for a reputable roofing company.

A couple of days ago we noticed a spot on our ceiling just above the skylight. Then, last night while it was raining our ceiling started leaking from the skylight area. We actually had to place a bowl on the living room floor to catch the dripping. I'm calling State Farm first thing tomorrow.

Is this something the insurance company should cover as a supplemental to our original claim or do you think they will blame us for not getting it fixed sooner.
Last edited by Bustoff on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Re: Wind blew off shingles, now roof is leaking!

Post by livesoft »

Did you have the roof repaired in a timely manner back in March?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

It appears the adjuster missed something. I would want them to revise the original claim. Two claims on your policy look worse than one.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote:Did you have the roof repaired in a timely manner back in March?
Apparently they're still looking for a roofer
Bustoff wrote:…. we decided to replace the entire roof and pay the difference out of our own pocket and have been looking for a reputable roofing company….
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

No, but for a good reason.
We had some trouble getting some contractors to give us a bids. Some said they did not want to get involved with competitive bidding. My understanding was they would only do the work if we submitted our claim to them. Never heard of that. Some never showed up.
Anyway between that and dissatisfaction with the three contractors who submitted bids, I have been looking for a reputable/quality roofing company assuming the tarp was protecting the roof.
Last edited by Bustoff on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

cheese_breath wrote:It appears the adjuster missed something. I would want them to revise the original claim. Two claims on your policy look worse than one.
What makes you say that. Wouldn't it be normal for water to work it's way under a roof with missing shingles?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Bustoff wrote:
No, but for a good reason.
We had some trouble getting some contractors to give us a bids. Some said they did not want to get involved with competitive bidding. My understanding was they would only do the work if we submitted our claim to them. Never heard of that. Some never showed up.
Anyway between that and dissatisfaction with the three contractors who submitted bids, I have been looking for a reputable/quality roofing company assuming the tarp was protecting the roof.
So your roof has gone unrepaired for approximately 4 months so far and the only thing protecting it is a temporary tarp which hasn't been touched or adjusted since it was put in place?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:It appears the adjuster missed something. I would want them to revise the original claim. Two claims on your policy look worse than one.
What makes you say that. Wouldn't it be normal for water to work it's way under a roof with missing shingles?
Yes it would, and that's one reason why it should all be on one claim. Both the missing shingles and leak are the result of the same storm. Also when they compute premiums for next year I would think two claims may result in a higher premium than only one claim.

OT, isn't it ironic that OP is Bustoff when we're discussing busted off shingles.
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

StarbuxInvestor wrote: So your roof has gone unrepaired for approximately 4 months so far and the only thing protecting it is a temporary tarp which hasn't been touched or adjusted since it was put in place?
Yes. And my concern is the insurance company will say it's my fault for not getting the roof repaired in a timely manner. But I just assumed the tarp was installed in such a manner that is was protecting the roof from rain water. We have not had any wind driven rain lately.
Also no one told me that the tarp protection would only last a short time.

I also contacted the insurance company a few weeks ago to advise them I was having some difficulty finding a roofing company.
Last edited by Bustoff on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think that not only will they say it is your fault, but they should also cancel you as a client. If they don't, let me know who your insurer is because maybe I should switch to them.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peppers

Post by peppers »

There were many government announcements regarding TARP.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

I guess this is my punishment for being too cautious. Our last roofer did a lousy job and we have had problems as a result. I have very little trust with home improvement contractors.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Bustoff wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote: So your roof has gone unrepaired for approximately 4 months so far and the only thing protecting it is a temporary tarp which hasn't been touched or adjusted since it was put in place?
Yes. And my concern is the insurance company will say it's my fault for not getting the roof repaired in a timely manner. But I just assumed the tarp was installed in such a manner that is was protecting the roof from rain water. We have not had any wind driven rain lately.

I also contacted the insurance company a few weeks ago to advise them I was having some difficulty finding a roofing company.
Well I found a post on this website suggesting you may have as long as 6 months to make the repairs. Don't know how reliable that is but maybe you are in good shape.

http://www.roofing.com/forum/what-happe ... 11304.html
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Bustoff wrote:I guess this is my punishment for being too cautious. Our last roofer did a lousy job and we have had problems as a result. I have very little trust with home improvement contractors.
Get your insurance agent to recommend roofers.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I'd say you're out of luck. The insurance company held up their end of the deal by cutting you a check. You didn't get the work done.

And not knowing that a tarp is only a temporary roofing solution is not a very good excuse. As for finding contractors who meet your requirements, ask around your neighborhood. Someone must have gotten roof, gutter, or siding work done in the past few years.
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Kosmo wrote:I'd say you're out of luck. The insurance company held up their end of the deal by cutting you a check. You didn't get the work done.
Kosmo - What's the time limit ? If there is a time limit it was not disclosed to me.
I'm not denying my difficulty finding a trusted contractor contributed to the problem. But what if the roof started leaking a couple weeks after the event. Where do they draw the line. Is it a feeling or a guess or is there a specified time period.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'd hesitate to even report the roof leak to the insurance company. Getting the roof fixed will solve the problem. Then have a handyman or painter come out to repair the drywall and repaint if you don't want to do it yourself.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Bustoff wrote:
Kosmo wrote:I'd say you're out of luck. The insurance company held up their end of the deal by cutting you a check. You didn't get the work done.
Kosmo - What's the time limit ? If there is a time limit it was not disclosed to me.
I'm not denying my difficulty finding a trusted contractor contributed to the problem. But what if the roof started leaking a couple weeks after the event. Where do they draw the line. Is it a feeling or a guess or is there a specified time period.
Just went through the same thing with contractors. They absolutely would not provide a bid. Insisted on knowing what the insco would pay. What is the world coming to? You should have received a letter/memo with an itemized estimate breaking down the estimated costs of repairs. Look at the cover letter/memo. It probably states some deadline for you to act, like a time period to effect the repair and by which you can go back to the insco for additional costs, if required. Maybe 180 days?
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Bustoff wrote:

Someone had to tell you that a plastic tarp stapled in place was an adequate solution?
derosa

Post by derosa »

Let me get this right. They came out. looked and cut you a check. Let me understand this - you made a claim and they paid you in full. Now you want to make another claim on the same leak?

You have had the money and have not done anything for 4 or more months?

You have got to be kidding us. You just took the money and did not get it repaired. And now you want more money?

You were made whole when you cashed the check. Not getting it fixed - that is your problem. Good luck with your old insurance company on that.
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

Call your agent with your problem. Ask them to revisit your original claim. Talk in person with the adjuster.explain that you are not asking to be paid for the roof again but the additional damage .4 months is not too long to get a roof REPAIRED just 1 slope as to replacing the entire roof. If there was a substantial damage in the area roofers are in high demand and prefer the total replacements over the repairs. Good luck be insistent but not argumentative. There is also an appraisal clause in your policy if you 2 can't reach an agreement
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

Call your agent with your problem. Ask them to revisit your original claim. Talk in person with the adjuster.explain that you are not asking to be paid for the roof again but the additional damage .4 months is not too long to get a roof REPAIRED just 1 slope as to replacing the entire roof. If there was a substantial damage in the area roofers are in high demand and prefer the total replacements over the repairs. Good luck be insistent but not argumentative. There is also an appraisal clause in your policy if you 2 can't reach an agreement
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

As long as you get the roof replaced in a timely manner, there probably isn't much more than negligible additional damage. Get the roof fixed, let the drywall dry out (as long as it isn't severely cracked or falling down), maybe a quick skim coat with some pre-mixed drywall mud if needed, sand and then paint with Kilz or some other primer and you're done.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Bustoff wrote:
This is speculation on my part. Obviously they don't expect the work to be done immediately, but over 60 days I think is excessive. Especially when it's not peak season for roof work and getting on a contractor's schedule isn't an issue. Thinking of it another way, would you say it's acceptable for the insurance company to delay getting your roof fixed if they were paying the whole cost?
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

What did they miss? They made the determination there were missing shingles that needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, they do not appear that they were replaced in a timely manner. Missing shingles plus some rain plus some wind blowing in just the right direction equals leaky roof.

Cosmo (with a "C")
douglas65

Post by douglas65 »

As a retired insurance agent I would recommend notifying insurance company of the new damage, ask them for referrals regarding roof and make replacing roof a priority. However, I would make sure that I got a good contractor with good reputation because you will live with results.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Hey, at least you're not this guy, yet.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/16 ... h-20101116

Or are you?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

This Wedbush guy in that link wastes his time. By fixing that roof he would not have to climb up on his roof repeatedly.

I learned a basic thing over many years owning a home. By not doing prompt maintenance you will always waste your time and money. Mother nature has ways to teach you, such as the hole on the roof getting bigger and more expensive. Or waiting too long mowing the lawn, finally you will spend twice the time to mow that overgrown grass. After noticing the first problem and notifying the insurance company I would have lined up a roofer to fix that roof within days, and then think about the whole roof replacement later on. Repair is always #1.