synthetic motor oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anncatchingup

synthetic motor oil?

Post by anncatchingup »

I have the first service (oil change, filter, tire rotation) scheduled tomorrow for our 2014 Subaru Outback. The owner's manual recommends synthetic motor oil. Do any Bogleheads have any thoughts about whether or not this is worth the extra expense?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ann
DSInvestor

Re: synthetic motor oil?

Post by DSInvestor »

Wiki
Ged

Post by Ged »

Using an oil that does not meet manufacturer specs will void your warranty.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

yes, it is worth it. Use what is recommended my the owner manual.

Synthetic motor oil should be changed between 75,000-150,000 miles.

so it last 2 to 3 times longer than regular oil.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I'd follow the manual.

JT
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

bogleblitz wrote:yes, it is worth it. Use what is recommended my the owner manual.

Huh?
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

bogleblitz wrote:yes, it is worth it. Use what is recommended my the owner manual.

I'm with Bottlecap. The above advice is wrong- those milages are about an order of magnitude too high. Go by the manual. Don't get suckered in by what oil change shops say- they will always want to get you back in every 3000 miles. Most new cars with synthetic are due around every 10,000 miles or so, but again, go by your manual. If it calls for synthetic do it. If not, I wouldn't bother.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

A comma here, a comma there.... I typically change my vehicles around those values.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Speaking of Subauru maintenence, my wife was told the other day that the upcoming Outback 30000 mile service runs about $600. This includes replacing brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter, anti-freeze, differential fluid and spark plugs. Hard to believe those have be done at 30K, although air filter is probably a good idea.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

anncatchingup wrote: Do any Bogleheads have any thoughts about whether or not this is worth the extra expense?
I believe some of the newer viscosities of oil (such as 0w-20) are only available as synthetic. If synthetic oil is not required, whether or not it is worthwhile depends on how much extra you're paying. If you're changing the oil yourself, the cost to use synthetic can be negligible. Two weeks ago I changed the oil in my car using fully synthetic. Had I used conventional, the total cost would have been about $4.50 less.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

pshonore wrote:Speaking of Subauru maintenence, my wife was told the other day that the upcoming Outback 30000 mile service runs about $600. This includes replacing brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter, anti-freeze, differential fluid and spark plugs. Hard to believe those have be done at 30K, although air filter is probably a good idea.
You're right, unless the vehicle is old with abnormally low miles. Most of those services do NOT need to be done at 30k. I'd do brake fluid and air filter only, and engine oil/filter. The service manual doesn't call for the other services. I'd stop using whatever shop told your wife to change out the other items.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Did you add an extra 0 to those #'s?
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

pshonore wrote:Speaking of Subauru maintenence, my wife was told the other day that the upcoming Outback 30000 mile service runs about $600. This includes replacing brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter, anti-freeze, differential fluid and spark plugs. Hard to believe those have be done at 30K, although air filter is probably a good idea.
There are usually two maintenance schedules that you are provided when you buy a new car: 1) the one provided by the dealer that reflects having services done too often (usually) and 2) your owner's manual schedule. Typically, the latter is just fine.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

anncatchingup wrote:I have the first service (oil change, filter, tire rotation) scheduled tomorrow for our 2014 Subaru Outback. The owner's manual recommends synthetic motor oil. Do any Bogleheads have any thoughts about whether or not this is worth the extra expense?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ann
Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. No more, but no less.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

My rule of thumb is...

If the owner's manual recommends it, do it. If the dealer recommends something different, be very skeptical.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
William4u

Post by William4u »

OAG wrote:

Did you add an extra 0 to those #'s?
I'm sure he or she added an extra zero. Synthetic oil is typically changed at 7500-15000 miles, but ONLY with a special "extended performance" oil FILTER that is rated for 7500-15000 mile oil changes. Normal oil filters are not designed for 7500-15000 miles.

The best forum for oil and car fluid discussion is "Bob is the Oil Guy," if you want to get the low down...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... l__Filters
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

You should change the oil with the type and frequency recommended by the manual. If you want to be safe or don't have a good understanding of replacement parts then also use the manufacturer's filter number recommended in your manual. You can change the oil more often than recommended if you like but don't change it less often and more often is probably a waste of money.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Newer Subarus, after 2011 or so, need full synthetic because otherwise the timing advance mechanism, which has very tiny ports, will not function properly. -- Tet