Seattle Restaurants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
covepatrol

Seattle Restaurants

Post by covepatrol »

The SF thread was a good read. Next week I will be in Seattle so I am looking for tips on dining.
I would like to know opinions on the best:
1.Steakhouse
2. Seafood
3. Burger
4.Thai/Vietnamese
5. Breakfast
livesoft

Re: Seattle Restaurants

Post by livesoft »

If you are stuck at Sea-Tac airport, then be sure to eat at Anthony's.

If you like oysters, then Elliott's Oyster House.

For the view, Space Needle Skycity

Restaurants to me are more about the people I eat with than the food and wine.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

livesoft wrote:Restaurants to me are more about the people I eat with than the food and wine.
That's why hot dogs, peanuts and ordinary beer taste so good at baseball games.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

We just ate at Tamarind Tree in the International District and it was some of the best Vietnamese food we've ever had. Wide variety of foods including some hard-to-find traditional Vietnamese dishes, much nicer than usual atmosphere, and very reasonable prices. Probably want reservations, may not be necessary. NB: my wife is Vietnamese.
Alarconm

Post by Alarconm »

Aqua by El Gaucho is the best seafood i've had and it is a beautiful setting right on the pier blocks away from Pike Place Market.
batpot

Post by batpot »

What part of Seattle are you going to be in? There's great stuff all over the city.

Steaks = Daniel's Broiler
Burgers = Dicks (cheap, multiple locations), or gourmet: Red Mill
Definitely 2nd the Tamarind Tree for Vietnamese

There's a bunch small diners/brunch places around, or if you're in South Lake Union area, Serious Biscuit

Random Honorable Mentions:
Paseo for great Cuban sandwiches
Serious Pie for pizza (get the russet potato one)
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

letsgobobby wrote:We just ate at Tamarind Tree in the International District and it was some of the best Vietnamese food we've ever had. Wide variety of foods including some hard-to-find traditional Vietnamese dishes, much nicer than usual atmosphere, and very reasonable prices. Probably want reservations, may not be necessary. NB: my wife is Vietnamese.
+1

This is the best Vietnamese food in Seattle. You could also try Long Provincial Vietnamese Restaurant in Belltown, which is owned by the same folks.

(Not that it matters but my wife is also Vietnamese!).

The best Thai food, in my opinion, is in the Northwest part of the city at Thai Siam, at the intersection of 15th Ave NW and 83rd St NW. Their curries are highly recommended.

The best breakfast is at the Portage Bay Cafe. I believe there's now a South Lake Union location along with the Roosevelt Ave location in the University District.

For seafood, if you're in the mood for oysters, people rave about the Walrus and the Carpenter, on Ballard Ave in Ballard.
Raladic

Post by Raladic »

For Steak - El Gaucho (we go to the one in Bellevue, but they also have a restaurant in Seattle itself).
stratton

Post by stratton »

I'm not big on atmosphere and more into the food value per $.

Thai: Bai Tong in a strip mall near Southcenter and in Bellevue.

Breakfast: Original Pancake House in Ballard or Kirkland. Very high end 24 hour diner; 13 Coins near SeaTac airport or downtown near Seattle Center. If you want steak & lobster at 4 am this is the place to go.

Seafood: Anthony's at the airport food court or their Bell St Diner. The more expensive "Homeport" restaurant is upstairs from the diner part and there are lots of separate "Homeport" restaurants around the Seattle area.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

For burgers, agree with Red Mill (Phinney, Interbay or Ballard locations available). Dick's is more of a late night spot for a snack. In Fremont, Uneeda Burger. South Lake Union near REI, Lunchbox Laboratory is excellent. And in SoDo, for a Japanese twist, I highly recommend Katsu Burger.

Anthony's is consistent and good quality without being too fancy (multiple locations around the Sound). Ray's Cafe passed the Ballard Locks on the way to Golden Gardens is a great spot overlooking Puget Sound, especially upstairs on the deck on a sunny afternoon (there is an Anthony's right next door). And Ivar's Salmon House near Gasworks Park in south Wallingford is always good. Mcormick's downtown would cover fish and steak.

Good local steakhouses would include the a Metropolitan Grill, Daniel's Broiler and Jak's.

Tons of great restaurants downtown, especially in the Belltown area. All the Tom Douglas places are good (Etta's Seafood, Dahlia Lounge, Lola, Serious Pie).

And, of course, Canlis is expensive but iconic.

I will also give a +1 for Paseo. #2 ranked restaurant in USA by Yelp. Fantastic Caribbean fair, especially the pork sandwich. Cash only. Expect a line. Two locations. Fremont and Ballard by the above mentioned Ray's.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Pecos Pit. on 1st, across from Starbucks Hdq. and very close to Football and Baseball statiums.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

too bad your visit isn't during The Center of the Universe Solstice Faire.
Last edited by LongerPrimer on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

Ivar's Salmon House. We liked it so much, we went back TWICE--and we were only in Seattle for four days!

The Space Needle is worth going for the view--just be sure it's not on a day when it rains. We got lucky. We went there the first night, and it was crystal clear. It started pouring the next day, and it didn't stop for the entire rest of our trip. Cool city, but miserable weather.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Bmac wrote:For burgers, agree with Red Mill (Phinney, Interbay or Ballard locations available).

Good local steakhouses would include the a Metropolitan Grill, Daniel's Broiler and Jak's.

Tons of great restaurants downtown, especially in the Belltown area. All the Tom Douglas places are good (Etta's Seafood, Dahlia Lounge, Lola, Serious Pie).

And, of course, Canlis is expensive but iconic.

I
I will second these choices. Grew up in Seattle, now my daughters live there and are "foodies".
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

gouldnm wrote:Ivar's Salmon House. We liked it so much, we went back TWICE--and we were only in Seattle for four days!

The Space Needle is worth going for the view--just be sure it's not on a day when it rains. We got lucky. We went there the first night, and it was crystal clear. It started pouring the next day, and it didn't stop for the entire rest of our trip. Cool city, but miserable weather.
The summer of 1965 was particularly nice in Seattle -- It came on a weekend!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

IMO don't waste your time on steak in Seattle. I've been to the Metropolitan Grill and Daniel's Broiler and while they make a great steak its pretty overpriced.

Just ate at sky city in the space needle and once you subtract $20 from the price of the entrees for the view you get what you should be paying. Service was excellent, food was good but nothing to go crazy about.

Anywhere on this list that I have eaten has been great so I assume the most of the rest are great too:

http://seattle.eater.com/archives/2014/ ... y-2014.php

If you want traditional "touristy" type Seattle food then Ray's Boathouse is better than Anthonys, Arnie's, or Ivar's. Ivar's happy hour is awesome though.

Be sure to try a lot of local beers. Mac and Jacks African Amber is one of my favorites. Manny's is also big locally, while its good its nothing to rave about.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

gouldnm wrote:Ivar's Salmon House. We liked it so much, we went back TWICE--and we were only in Seattle for four days!

They also have the 'fish bar' where you can order fish&chips or chowder and then sit out on the dock. We go a few times every visit with the kids.

And then there's the regular bar, which also has outdoor dock seating and wait staff. Great happy hour spot on a warm day.
Tozmo

Post by Tozmo »

Metropolitan Grill was good (they can do Pittsburgh style steaks). However, I had the meal comp'd, and may not go if I had to pay.

Seatown at Pike's Place was great for lunch. Not touristy as far as food choices.