[can you] shop at Costco [without a membership?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vv19

[can you] shop at Costco [without a membership?]

Post by vv19 »

It's a naive question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a way you can shop at Costco even though you're not a member? I wanted to buy a few things from there, but don't think I'll use the membership regularly. Is there a way around for people like me? Thanks.
curmudgeon

Re: Shopping at Costco

Post by curmudgeon »

jay22 wrote:It's a naive question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a way you can shop at Costco even though you're not a member? I wanted to buy a few things from there, but don't think I'll use the membership regularly. Is there a way around for people like me? Thanks.
Yes. Find a friend who is a member, and pay them to buy you a Costco gift card (or several). You can use additional cash to cover amounts beyond the card. It's not necessarily a general solution, but it works if you have a few specific purchases you would like to make there.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

You could go with a friend.

If you buy a membership, you will be surprised at how much you will use it (lots!).
Topic Author
vv19

Post by vv19 »

I did ask around in my friend circle, but no one has a Costco membership. :(
dsanders79

Post by dsanders79 »

I don't know much about it, but apparently you can use a Costco Cash Card to shop without a membership.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I don't really recommend doing this, but Costco will refund your membership, in full (I believe), for any reason and at any time prior to its expiration. So if you get a membership and then determine that you won't use it very often, the refund option is there.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

dsanders79 wrote:I don't know much about it, but apparently you can use a Costco Cash Card to shop without a membership.
Yes, but you have to be a member to buy one. OP would need to find a member to buy the card for him (and reload it). Then he would be set.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
dsanders79

Post by dsanders79 »

You can buy the Cash Cards on E-bay. I'd guess some other places online also sell them.
ww340

Post by ww340 »

I have purchased from Costco online without being a member. They charged me an additional $7.50 for being a non-member, but they were so much cheaper on what I was buying that it was well worth it. Perhaps they have something similar for shopping in the store.
soaring

Post by soaring »

Random Poster wrote:I don't really recommend doing this, but Costco will refund your membership, in full (I believe), for any reason and at any time prior to its expiration. So if you get a membership and then determine that you won't use it very often, the refund option is there.
Costco will refund the unused portion of your membership. So I suspect one month is the minimum so your cost would be about 1/12 of the $55 membership to shop there once.
Desiderata
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Go with a friend. They'll have to be with you when you check out and then they go back through checkout if they're buying some things for themselves. At least that's what I had to do the last time I shopped there.

I forgot that they don't take either VISA or Master Card. I had to use my debit card. Not an issue, unless you forget to bring it. [This statement is incorrect. See retraction below - admin alex]

It was worth it. I probably saved, in total, between 30% - 40% on daily household items.
UroloJay

Post by UroloJay »

Also keep your eyes open for deals on the membership. I recently signed up for a trial membership at BJs (I know, not Costco, but perhaps they offer similar incentives), and was offered $10 off the $50 membership fee at the end of the trial period. Included with this was $10 off a purchase of of $100 or more if used on the day we signed up, which is easy to spend at a place like this. On top of that, my wife and I used used about $35 worth of coupons available in store on the same day that we purchased our membership and bought $140 worth of groceries. Boom. BJs paid me $5 to become a member.
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like. -Will Rogers
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Cripes. It's like $35 for a membership. Just get it.

JT
RetiredIn2011

Post by RetiredIn2011 »

Depending on what state you are in, you can visit the food court, pharmacy, and liquor store without being a member. I know you can in CO.
atwood

Post by atwood »

Get a membership. It's more than worth it.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

My membership is $55/year + my state taxes the membership, putting it at over $60.

Prescriptions and alcohol do not require membership in my state.

You can buy a Costco gift card on ebay or one of the other sites that resell gift cards. You can probably even get a discount on the gift card. The gift card will get you in the store and let you buy random things.
denovo

Post by denovo »

RetiredIn2011 wrote:Depending on what state you are in, you can visit the food court, pharmacy, and liquor store without being a member. I know you can in CO.
I don't think the food courts ever check id in any state. I remember going there alone as a kid when my parents were shopping.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I think it may depend on the store layout. My local Costco has a separate section for liquor and I have never needed to use my card there. You can also get an eye exam and glasses or contacts without being a member. Another nearby store has the liquor and pharmacy departments deep in the store and you need to show your card to get in the store. Possibly pharmacy is ok because you pay at the counter, but liquor pays at the front registers.

I purchased a couple of times through a co-worker, then just purchased my own membership. Its paid for itself a few times over.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

The COSTCO where I shop (Virginia) checks id/membership at the door when you go in. I don't even think you can get to the pizza/hot dogs/drink/etc. area without a membership.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

jay22 wrote:I did ask around in my friend circle, but no one has a Costco membership. :(
Get new friends. You will need friends to take care of your finances when you are no longer able to. Plus, they will be able to buy you 1000 packs of Depends at a really good price at Costco.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

At some time in the past, you could pay an additional 10% to shop there without being a member.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Personal Integrity.

My only recommendation is to sign up and get a membership card, otherwise shop in other stores--there are plenty of good choices.

And now back to watching World Cup news.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
donecc

Post by donecc »

Annual membership is $55 which includes an American Express Card at no extra cost...a good deal...in addition to excellent prices.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Costco and Sam's Club are so similar that there seems to be no reason to be a member of both. I was a member of Costco for 15 years, but I moved to a location that is 1 mile from Sam's but 10 miles from Costco, so I switched. Both are good, and worth the membership price. It seems that I never got out of either one without several hundred in purchases, so I'm glad that I was driving a truck. Both are great if you are willing and able to buy in bulk, not so good if you are living in a New York apartment.

Ralph
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

sscritic wrote:
jay22 wrote:I did ask around in my friend circle, but no one has a Costco membership. :(
Get new friends. You will need friends to take care of your finances when you are no longer able to. Plus, they will be able to buy you 1000 packs of Depends at a really good price at Costco.
:happy :) :) :happy :happy :)
lululu

Post by lululu »

Steelersfan wrote: I forgot that they don't take either VISA or Master Card. I had to use my debit card. Not an issue, unless you forget to bring it.
Does everyone walk in with their pockets stuffed with cash? Or do lots of people have debit cards I have never understood having a debit card.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I agree with those who suggest buying a membership. Try it for one year.

We buy gasoline at Costco. You save quite a bit. Deals on tires are pretty good, too.

If you get the associated Amex card, there are additional discounts on gas--btw, we don't use that Amex card for purchases anywhere but at costco.

Our N. Calif. Costco stores are featuring more and more organic produce, which is an additional plus.

DW and I really like Costco. Nuff said.

(Disclosure: I do not own shares of Costco except as part of TSM fund.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

lululu wrote:
Steelersfan wrote: I forgot that they don't take either VISA or Master Card. I had to use my debit card. Not an issue, unless you forget to bring it.
Does everyone walk in with their pockets stuffed with cash? Or do lots of people have debit cards I have never understood having a debit card.
They take American Express in the stores.

Edit: They take Visa and MC too, but only online. From their website:
Costco.com accepts the following credit cards: American Express (the preferred Credit Card of Costco.com), VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and the Costco credit card.
runner9

Re: [can you] shop at Costco [without a membership?]

Post by runner9 »

We joined but didn't like it. Personal preference (long lines, large quantities, etc) After 2 months they refunded the entire $55 we'd paid on a credit card in cash, no questions asked. This was about 2 years ago.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

lululu wrote:
I need to correct that statement about Costco.

It was a Sam's Club, not Costco, that doesn't accept VISA or Master Card. Costco does accept VISA and Master Card. My friends changed where they do their discount shopping when they moved.

Lots of people have debit cards. Or use cash.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Steelersfan wrote: It was a Sam's Club, not Costco, that doesn't accept VISA or Master Card. Costco does accept VISA and Master Card. My friends changed where they do their discount shopping when they moved.
http://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/de ... nt-methods

Sams Club takes Mastercard and Discover.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dm200 wrote:The COSTCO where I shop (Virginia) checks id/membership at the door when you go in.
My Costco in Maryland does the same. I agree with those who recommend to get membership. I joined Costco because after I moved, it became closer to me than the nearest Whole Foods. But after buying groceries in Costco for several years, it will be hard for me to go back to Whole Foods, when Whole Foods will once again become more convenient than Costco.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Things you can do at Costco WITHOUT a membership

Get Your Eyes Checked:
Use a Costco Gift Card:
Get Medicine from the Pharmacy or Immunization Shots:
Buy Alcoholic Beverages:
Eat at the Food Court

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-things-y ... 1591680306
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

lululu wrote:
Probably not, but every member has an AMEX -- Costco provides it as part of the membership. Mine even doubles as my Costco ID card.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

For those who are not Costco members, the Amex benefit might be underappreciated. It has a good rebate, particularly if you eat in restaurants and buy travel.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

soaring wrote:
Random Poster wrote:I don't really recommend doing this, but Costco will refund your membership, in full (I believe), for any reason and at any time prior to its expiration. So if you get a membership and then determine that you won't use it very often, the refund option is there.
Costco will refund the unused portion of your membership. So I suspect one month is the minimum so your cost would be about 1/12 of the $55 membership to shop there once.
Maybe the (partial) refund has been your experience, but it contradicts what Costco says on its webpage what it will do:

http://www2.costco.com/Membership/Membe ... lang=en-US
Costco's Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html
Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
•On Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Actually, I think you were right the first time. At the actual stores, they don't take credit cards, except for their own Costco AmEx.
We welcome cash,* checks,* debit/ATM cards,** Costco Cash Cards, Costco Credit Cards**, EBT Cards and American Express Cards.** Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager.
* Not accepted at Costco Gas Stations.
** Not accepted at Costco Food Courts.
It's the only thing I ever use my debit card for.

They're all about the low prices, and not paying the credit card surcharge by banning credit cards helps keep the prices low.
rob

Post by rob »

My local costco will NOT take visa/mastercard.... I just use an amex card (not theirs as I never bothered getting one). Could it be different by location??
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

They take any Amex card, not just the Costco labeled once. I use my corporate card there.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I can't use Visa/Mastercard credit cards at my local Costcos (SF Bay Area).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Where can I get an EBT card to use at Costco? :)
EBT Cards and American Express Cards
P.S. Note that Costco is not used as a modifier of either.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Last time I was at Costco they wouldn't let my wife swipe her card. My name is on the membership card and they said I had to pay so they might be cracking down on friend visits.

There is nothing wrong with buying a gift card from Ebay or a gift card reseller and using it to get in the store.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I use the fidelity amex card (2% rebate) which stacks with the costco rebate. I think we have the upgraded membership which rebates at a higher level. I get a $150+ check every year, which exceeds the cost of the membership.

OP, if it's a one time thing you want to buy, try the costco cash cards. If you think you might shop repeatedly, try the membership. Costco is very customer friendly and will refund your membership if you don't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Returns in general are hassle free. No receipt necessary, I turned in a DVD player I won at a work raffle and walked out with cash.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

barnaclebob wrote:Last time I was at Costco they wouldn't let my wife swipe her card. My name is on the membership card and they said I had to pay so they might be cracking down on friend visits.
Friends don't let friends use their own credit cards.

The rules at Disneyland are the same. If you have an annual pass that gets you a discount on your restaurant purchases, you have to use a credit card that matches the annual pass. Otherwise, you could give your annual pass to a friend to use at Disneyland for the restaurant discount (not for admission) even when you weren't there, not that you would be that dishonest.

Note that that doesn't mean you don't get a discount on the meal you buy for your friend. The same is true at Costco. Now if you want, you can charge your friend a 10% handling fee for using your credit card, but I would do that off site.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

From our experience, a Costco membership will pay for itself several times over. We use cash or our debit card. You need an AmEx to use a Credit Card.

We primarily shop for groceries and core household items. There are only a few items we have to obtain from a traditional grocery store. Gas is also about 5 cents cheaper at Costco.

Fruits and vegetables are very good. I love the bin of baby spinach for 4.49. It goes a long way and we use it as salad and "lettuce" for sandwiches.

For a family of 5, I think we get quality food and very good quantity for the price on many things. I'm a big fan of Costco.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Yes, Pharmacy. has no membership restriction.
rixer

Post by rixer »

I suggest purchasing membership at Costco. It's my favorite store and with the rebates from my Executive membership and the Amex rebates, the cost is minimal and can easily be free. They have good deals on great merchandise. I also buy my gas there and get rebated from Amex.
Bonnan

Post by Bonnan »

Costco does NOT accept visa or mastercard at the Pa store where we shop. I pay by personal check; don't want or need another credit card.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

a member can take a friend to a warehouse club, but the friend can not use their own credit card. this is to cut down on charge backs - "but how can this charge be correct? i don't even belong to costco!" this per clark howard.

perhaps you can get around this by using the self checkout. i don't know if the system checks this.

but the real answer is to join costco. or sams. or bj's. or all 3.
jjm285

Post by jjm285 »

I have a membership but not the AmEx. I buy cash cards online to get the miles on my other credit cards and then just use those in the store. There is no fee associated with buying the cards (if you are a member) and they ship for free. Much better than using cash/debit IMO, and really not much of a hassle at all.