Convince me to visit Italy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nbseer

Convince me to visit Italy

Post by nbseer »

Recently retired.. wife and I have criss-crossed the USA, visited England, Ireland. Somewhat curious about Italy, Tuscany, etc. But not really into cathedrals, museums.. more into beautiful countryside, great food.

Would it be a waste to go to Italy without that interest in history, religion, art, etc? Don't like crowds of people, standing in lines, noise until all hours of the night in the streets, everyone smoking, which I'm afraid we'll encounter there.

Seems like Napa Valley might be a better fit, less hassle than traveling overseas, dealing with customs, etc..

Thanks in advance for insight from Italy travelers.
livesoft

Re: Convince me to visit Italy

Post by livesoft »

Yep, it would be a waste. Don't go there.

I am surprised by the comment "dealing with customs". There is no dealing with customs. I find that they are less intrusive and faster than TSA before getting on a flight … that is, a complete non-issue.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

That's a new one! I didn't know anyone needed to be convinced to visit Italy. The UK, maybe, or the US, but not Italy. :-) If it was slightly cheaper, half of Europe (and the world?) would retire there. My main travel-related regret is that I haven't visited often -- just twice -- and that I'm having a difficult time finding opportunities/excuses for going back. I don't think there's a country with better food than Italy, and the countryside is lovely. People are very nice too. Honestly, it's far more magical than Napa. (No offense to Napa.) Go in the spring or fall to avoid the crowds.
island

Post by island »

"Convince me"?
I thought Bogleheads were adverse to anyone "selling" them on anything especially when it comes to spending their money.
Nope, not going to twist your arm. You need to do your research and decide for yourself if you could amuse yourself there.
Try www.tripadvisor.com the posters there will be more than happy to convince.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

The best food I've ever eaten has been in Italy.
twindad57

Post by twindad57 »

We rented an apartment in Rome overlooking the Piazza Farnese several years ago. Just around the corner is the famous Campo De Fiori with its market. You could easily spend weeks in the neighborhoods near that one section of Rome wandering around, visiting the markets, observing daily life, and enjoying the food. If you rent an apartment, you'll not only save money, but then could immerse yourself in the culture. One of our great joys on that trip was walking to the market, selecting fresh goods, preparing food in 'our' kitchen and eating on the rooftop balcony. It is also where I proposed to my wife, but the trip would've been memorable for us regardless!

Yes, Italy is all about history, and much of that involves the church, but there is so much more to absorb by simply diving into the culture and daily life of a place. This is a no brainer to me if you have the time and any inclination at all.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We spent a Christmas in Rome that was one of the best weeks of our lives.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Watty

Post by Watty »

nbseer wrote:everyone smoking
I don't recall that being a problem at all. Maybe 20 year ago but not now. I didn't notice it last year and I am pretty sensitive to smoke so I would have if it was much of a problem.
nbseer wrote:beautiful countryside
We only took a train through it but northern Italy is getting into the Alps which was more impressive than I expected.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Don't go.

You asked - Would it be a waste to go to Italy without that interest in history, religion, art, etc? Based on the question, my recommendation is to stay right here at home, and take a trip to New York City, Seattle, or San Francisco, the bottom line is that you can eat good Italian food right here at home.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

TomatoTomahto wrote:We spent a Christmas in Rome that was one of the best weeks of our lives.
We spent last Christmas in Rome and also had a great time -- so much so that within a couple of weeks of our return, we booked flights and the same place again for this coming Christmas. Now, we leave in less than a week for two weeks in northern Italy: Milan, Verona, Mantua, Padua and Venice. All of this after two weeks in Italy in Fall 2012 (following a couple of weeks in France), where we visited Genoa, Cinque terre, Lucca (fabulous), Pisa and Venice. Yes, Italy is indeed a lovely travel destination!

Edit: In response to OP, Italy has beautiful countryside and wonderful food. If those are your priorities, Italy offers plenty of opportunities.
Last edited by rjbraun on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewey

Post by dewey »

This one is easy. Go. Lots of country side to enjoy. I've always skipped the churches. Some good museums depending where you are. For a vacation with great food, great wine, great people---hard to find better. I'm two thumbs up on Italy and can't wait until our next trip there.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
navyitaly

Post by navyitaly »

I live in southern Italy...(military)...So, I think I have a fair vote...I would say pass on it....the EURO exchange rate is too high, everything is very hard to find, driving is a pain...go to other parts of Europe.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

Yeah also I don't understand these "convince me" threads. Either do it, or don't. The topics are way too broad, the setup is forced because no one really cares if they "convince" the person to do "x," and the answers are as targeted as an open-choke shotgun.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:Yeah also I don't understand these "convince me" threads. Either do it, or don't. The topics are way too broad, the setup is forced because no one really cares if they "convince" the person to do "x," and the answers are as targeted as an open-choke shotgun.
+1
davebarnes

Easy

Post by davebarnes »

Just watch some Rick Steeves shows.
We loved Toscana. The food is great. Firenze is wonderful.
In Firenze, be sure to see the statue of my namesake as his penis is much larger than mine.
A nerd living in Denver
bpp

Post by bpp »

If you want Italy without the history, and just the scenery, how about:
Cinque Terre
Italian Alps
Elba Island (yeah, there is some incidental Napoleonic history, but that is not really what the place is about)
siamond

Post by siamond »

Need I say more? 8-)

Milano

Post by Milano »

I grew up in Italy, my family moved to the States in the mid seventies. Finished high school here and earned my professional degree here. Have not been back in more than twenty years, not because Italy is bad, but because of work & money.

I see Italian tourists here where we live in the summer in August when Italy shuts down.

One of the main reasons I would want to go back is to show my wife Europe, she has never been there. It is important to see and learn different cultures, my family did out out necessity not in a Disney river cruise way.

Napa is better than Tuscany, try Sardinia (Sardegna).

Live & learn not an investment but a learning experience.
Last edited by Milano on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If this does not convince you, nothing and nobody will:

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Milano

Post by Milano »

VictoriaF wrote:If this does not convince you, nothing and nobody will:

Victoria
I have been in one those fishermen's boats.

Let's wake up at 4:00 in the mattina and turn on the one piston Anzani Diesel engine, the propane tank burner needs to warm up the head so that the self igniting Diesel motor can start, this takes one hour, our Priuses just start at a turn of a key. The 3' diameter Diesel engine flywheel needs to be turned by hand to start the motor. Let's go out fishing and catch 6" fishes, not exactly Deadliest Catch.
midareff

Post by midareff »

nbseer wrote:Recently retired.. wife and I have criss-crossed the USA, visited England, Ireland. Somewhat curious about Italy, Tuscany, etc. But not really into cathedrals, museums.. more into beautiful countryside, great food.

Would it be a waste to go to Italy without that interest in history, religion, art, etc? Don't like crowds of people, standing in lines, noise until all hours of the night in the streets, everyone smoking, which I'm afraid we'll encounter there.

Seems like Napa Valley might be a better fit, less hassle than traveling overseas, dealing with customs, etc..

I'd stay away..... no point. That way when I go it will be two less in the crowd.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

cfs wrote:Don't go.

You asked - Would it be a waste to go to Italy without that interest in history, religion, art, etc? Based on the question, my recommendation is to stay right here at home, and take a trip to New York City, Seattle, or San Francisco, the bottom line is that you can eat good Italian food right here at home.

Thanks for reading.
never been to Italy but friends and neighbors have all said it is hard to get a bad meal anywhere in Italy. as a former New Yorker who ate and enjoyed downtown Little Italy & uptown (Arthur Avenue in the Bronx) Little Italy I am guessing it would be worth the trip. BTW, since we are not three star diners, London & Paris are no big deal. well, Paris, yeah, but not London IMHO.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
lululu

Post by lululu »

siamond wrote:Need I say more? 8-)

Still looking great nowadays, I don't know how she manages it.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

island wrote:"Convince me"?
I thought Bogleheads were adverse to anyone "selling" them on anything especially when it comes to spending their money.
Nope, not going to twist your arm.
DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:Yeah also I don't understand these "convince me" threads. Either do it, or don't. The topics are way too broad, the setup is forced because no one really cares if they "convince" the person to do "x," and the answers are as targeted as an open-choke shotgun.
I'm with you guys. I couldn't care less whether someone decides to go to Italy or not.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Why should anyone have to sell you on visiting Italy? It's beautiful and I've never eaten better food. If you don't like museums go to places like Capri, Tuscany and the cinque terre where the attraction is the scenery, not museums. Two recents visits to California wine country have shown me that Cali makes for a really expensive vacation. If I had enough time to take a longer getaway I would much rather go to Europe for the cost.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Beautiful countryside? Do you like real mountains? Foothills? Lakes? Coastline? Italy has them all.

I defy you not to be awestruck by San Gimignano (in Tuscany). That hit me harder than the Cinque Terre.

Crowds? Go between mid October and mid May. You may still find areas that are crowded off season - but you'll find that in US tourist destinations as well.

Smoking? My wife hates cigarette smoke and during our last trip to the south she was not bothered by it.

Customs? Your own country is the biggest pita. I have always filled out the declarations form honestly and have never been questioned.

Hassle? I have driven around the northern half of the country, from Rome to Genoa to Venice to the lakes. Autogrill, look it up! The Autostrada are wonderful. Trenitalia is great. The buses and taxis are fine. There are nice shopping malls in many of the airports. We rented a little motorboat and puttered up and down the Amalfi Coast on our own - and I know little about boating. It's just not a big deal IMO, and frankly better than the US in many respects.

Don't like museums and cathedrals? Don't go! Do try Pompeii, even if you have no interest in history.

Food? Do your homework, avoid the tourist restaurants, and you can have incredible food. Like seafood?

Give it a try. You obviously are capable travelers; Italy will not be a challenge and might be unforgettable.
swimirvine

Post by swimirvine »

We did a 10 night tour with Avventure Bellissime http://tours-italy.com

Everything was taken care of so we could really enjoy our time more. They even had a guide meet us in Venice at the train station just to walk with us for 100 yard to the water taxi and ride with us to our hotel!
The way I invest my money is not the right way to invest, it's the right way for ME to invest.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

IMHO, Italy has all the bests: best food, best wine, best coffee, best art, best music, best cars, best motorcycles.
Tomorrow never knows.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

C'mon folks. How about some "interesting" Italian stories?

DId you know that ground traffic control at the airports has no rules for who takes off first, just like the cars in Rome have no rules on who gets the right of way? Alitalia planes are equipped with horns and it's first come, first served.

How about the days when smoking was allowed on planes? The right side of the aisle was no-smoking, while the left side was smoking.

And food! Ah, the food! Who has ordered in Italian and then been served a plate of kidneys or a plate of tripe?
derosa

Post by derosa »

Don't go - its crowded and noisy and they speak Italien.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"How about some "interesting" Italian stories?"

OK, doesn't involve me directly but did you hear about the time some crazy Italians got some big American company to pay them $2 billion to go away? Pazzo!

I remember, years ago, my parents and their Italian friends laughing about life in Italy.

Now they have the Frecciarossa, to pick one of many examples, and the joke may be on us.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Almost forgot the most important one of all: best ice cream!
Tomorrow never knows.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

While you are in Italy you can pick up a car or two. Your options include Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia Stratos, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Ferrari.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
chaz

Post by chaz »

Ride in a gondola down a canal in Venice.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

And "David" in Florence. Must see!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Average Investor wrote:Almost forgot the most important one of all: best ice cream!
Now that is so true. Almost trumps all the other points that were made on this thread! :happy
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"Your options include Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia Stratos, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Ferrari."

Pagani.
chaz

Post by chaz »

siamond wrote:
Average Investor wrote:Almost forgot the most important one of all: best ice cream!
Now that is so true. Almost trumps all the other points that were made on this thread! :happy
Spumoni!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Ged

Post by Ged »

derosa wrote:Don't go - its crowded and noisy and they speak Italien.
There are parts of Boston and New York like that too.

It's worth it for the food. The Parma area aka Food Valley oh my.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

A couple years ago, I spent two weeks in Italy - had wine with lunch and dinner every day at different restaurants - so approximately 14 different house wines - red and white and all of them delicious.

I'm scratching my head - why is it that here in the US, I have to go wine tasting to find a good wine to have with a meal, but in Italy, all 14 hit the ball right out of the park….and they were "house" wines.?

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Topic Author
nbseer

Post by nbseer »

OP here:

Thanks everyone for the great response! I knew I'd get some negative replies.. but the others were insightful.. bogleheads are known world travelers and honest with their opinions.!

Makes me want to go.. If we do, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

And happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Well, there's no shortage of beautiful countryside and great food in Italy.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Is she the lady on CNBC?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm not giving up on making you not go. You do know that there are pleny of Italian restaurants and ice cream places outside of Italy, right? The Italians have emigrated for years and years. I have even heard of a place called "Little Italy" and there are many of them.

And as far as beautiful countryside … I have been to Italy several times … Lago di Como … Bari … Roma … Toscana … Milano … but the United States has all that, too.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

navyitaly wrote:I live in southern Italy...(military)...So, I think I have a fair vote...I would say pass on it....the EURO exchange rate is too high, everything is very hard to find, driving is a pain...go to other parts of Europe.
Why would a visitor need to drive? We are planning to go either spring 2015 or 2016, not planning to rent a car. This will be the first trip we try to do a trip completely without a car, are we being unrealistic?

Our main interests will be Roman ruins and natural beauty.

The exchange rate is bad, hoping it gets better before we go, although that may mean losses on our foreign investments that far exceed the cost of the trip, so... :|
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

rec7 wrote:

Is she the lady on CNBC?
Please tell me you were joking.
Gordon
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

jeffyscott wrote:
navyitaly wrote:I live in southern Italy...(military)...So, I think I have a fair vote...I would say pass on it....the EURO exchange rate is too high, everything is very hard to find, driving is a pain...go to other parts of Europe.
Why would a visitor need to drive? We are planning to go either spring 2015 or 2016, not planning to rent a car. This will be the first trip we try to do a trip completely without a car, are we being unrealistic?

Our main interests will be Roman ruins and natural beauty.

The exchange rate is bad, hoping it gets better before we go, although that may mean losses on our foreign investments that far exceed the cost of the trip, so... :|
Do not drive anywhere in Italy. They drive like maniacs.

I would, however, still visit. Went to Italy 5 years ago. I did Rome and took the train to the breathtaking, out of this world beauty that is the Amalfi Coast (with connection in Naples which took less than 4 hours). Had an amazing time. Scenery, people, food, fountains, gelato all amazing. Viva Italia! Would go back in a heartbeat and will next year on my next European escape.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Talk me out of driving my Porsche convertible to Italy! Oh, wait, nevermind.

I spent a few weeks living on site at a chemical plant near Rome, and it was wonderful. Even the cafeteria food was great. The company store sold wine, which for us was expense account. The people were warm and gracious. The coast was nearby and scenic. If you have a chance to go to Italy, and need to be talked into it, well, your loss.
chaz

Post by chaz »

livesoft wrote:I'm not giving up on making you not go. You do know that there are pleny of Italian restaurants and ice cream places outside of Italy, right? The Italians have emigrated for years and years. I have even heard of a place called "Little Italy" and there are many of them.

And as far as beautiful countryside … I have been to Italy several times … Lago di Como … Bari … Roma … Toscana … Milano … but the United States has all that, too.
I agree. See the USA - it has everything.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

nbseer wrote:Recently retired.. wife and I have criss-crossed the USA, visited England, Ireland. Somewhat curious about Italy, Tuscany, etc. But not really into cathedrals, museums.. more into beautiful countryside, great food.

Read the DaVinci Code ... it will make you want to go. :D
the best decision many times is the hardest to do