What smartphone plan do you use?- off contract

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CherylHall

What smartphone plan do you use?- off contract

Post by CherylHall »

Now that my iphone is off contract I am looking to get a less expensive plan - typically I use a more data, not that much minutes (hard to hear people!!) and some texting so I am not a heavy user. I know this is a can of worms but what plans are people using for off- contract phones? Anyone using Airvoice? that seems to be the one that I am leaning toward - I can keep my number and I wold choose the pay as you go plan. thanks!
FrugalInvestor

Re: What smartphone plan do you use?- off contract

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We use Page Plus (through Kitty Wireless). It requires a Verizon iPhone and only 3g data is available through Page Plus which is fine for us. We use the $12/month plan but don't use much data on our phone - and manage it by turning data only when needed. There are other plans available with much more data but I'm just too cheap, um, frugal to pay for it. :happy
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
zed

Post by zed »

I have been evaluating Republic Wireless for the last few weeks.
Http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/05/ ... vs-moto-g/

I'd been resistant to going with a smartphone until I got the moto g.

Encountered only one quirky problem with receiving calls while roaming but am generally satisfied with the offering. Here's a description of the problem.
Https://community.republicwireless.com/ ... 928#161928

Hope this helps
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

PagePlus through the PagePlus website.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I have my GSM phone on Cricket right now but am trying to change to Consumer Cellular...
Attempted new signature...
BlueFin

Post by BlueFin »

Check out Ting...you only pay for what you use.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

If you are mostly calling from a place with wifi, like your house, then +1 on republic wireless.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

We have been using Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com/ for 1 1/2 years now, and are very pleased with the service. One iphone 4S, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 - both work fine. CC are a MVNO, using AT&T's network. We are not heavy users; 2 phones with 600 minutes, 5,000 texts(!!), and 1 GB data. Total cost $50 + tax. We have extended family internationally; and use WhatsApp for texting. Uses Wi-Fi; much better, and can attach photos, videos, etc. That costs $0.99 for the initial sign up. http://www.whatsapp.com/.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I was also off contract, and last month switched to Verizon Wireless no-contract pre-pay with unlimited phone and text, 1GB/month of data for $45/month. My Moto G smartphone cost $99 with no discount; if something happens to it I can get another for $99. It's 3G, but I'll gladly take slightly slower speeds for saving ~50% each month, and Verizon's coverage area is quite good.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

I've been using Ting, and it's been pretty good especially after Sprint deployed 4G to Reno earlier this year. It's nice that they only charge based on however much you use, so I end up paying $3 for talk, $0 for text, and $12 for data. My usage averages under 100 minutes, 0 text, and 500MB. One month, I did end up at 524MB and they still only charged me $12 (normally for using 100-500MB data), and talking with them when setting up the phone gave an impression that they're genuinely nice people.

I haven't set up additional lines with other people, but it seems relatively straightforward, and how they charge for usage seems to favor some sharing. This is because shared usage is totaled up for billing, and if two people use less than 500MB in a month, it's still only $12. And if those two people are traveling in areas without data, Ting will charge $0 if there was no data usage -- no need to configure anything or let them know ahead of time.
indexmeasap

Post by indexmeasap »

I've just switched to Airvoice's unlimted talk and text and 500 mb of data $30.00 plan. I've been please with their service (porting number, talking with reps) so far.

If you want a true data plan, check out T-mobile's unlimited data and text (5 GB of 4g) and 100 minutes of talk for $30 per month.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15443357?wmls ... ct+Reviews

I just switched from this t-mobile plan to airvoice because I needed more minutes and less data. I am not sure if this plan is still available - t-mobile's website no longer lists it as a pre-paid option.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Have used AirVoice and I think their $30/mo plan is probably the cheapest out there for AT&T MVNO. Unlimited talk, text and 500 MB data. No taxes are added on top of that. But I'm now using Consumer Cellular because the coverage is somewhat better in some areas where I go. It uses the complete AT&T network including partner roaming; whereas most other AT&T MVNOs use the prepaid network (same as Go). Also, I like the fact that I can change the voice or data plan at will during the month to match my actual usage. It will be more expensive than AirVoice if you use either a lot of voice or data minutes -- best for the light to medium user. I keep my data costs down by turning mobile data off except when I need it and use WiFi otherwise. And you have to pay those onerous taxes, which adds about 15% to the tab each month. CC gives you 4G-LTE, while AirVoice has 3G+ (which is really fast enough).
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Another Pageplus user here. I have the $30/month plan that gives me 1,200 minutes and 500mb of data. Aside from cost, I chose this MVNO because they use the Verizon network. I often travel to rural areas and I have found I often can get a cell signal whereas my traveling partners often cannot get service with ATT, Sprint or TMobile. I was able to port my phone # over without any issues. You are limited to using a 3G phone, but I have not found this to be an issue. Newer 4G phones including Apple can be "flashed" to operate as 3G phones and be used on the Pageplus network.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

I've used T-Mobile 1500 minutes, unlimited text (for family & kids) and 30MB of data for $30 per month, I don't see this plan on their site anymore.

If you sign up at Walmart, T-mobile have a unlimited data and text with 100 minutes talk for $30.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I noticed that H2O Wireless now offers some attractively priced plans now, such as $30 for unlimited voice and text with 500 mb. data. Same as AirVoice but you can get a 10% discount if you set up autopay, so it's cheaper assuming there are no taxes and fees added. Uses same prepaid AT&T network.
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

Ting is working well for us. We piggyback on WiFi whenever possible to save a bit more but if we need LTE it's there for us. We went with Ting because at the time we both had phones that we had been using with Sprint and once our Sprint contract was finaly toast taking those existing phones to Ting meant no initial outlay for new phones and hallelujah, no contract. We've since bought two Nexus 5's. The Nexus 5 is CDMA & GSM equipped and not locked to any particular carrier so if we become disenchanted with Ting or finally fed up with their lousy underlying carrier Sprint we can flee to TMobile or even God help us, AT&T.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Don_Qua wrote:Ting is working well for us. We piggyback on WiFi whenever possible to save a bit more but if we need LTE it's there for us. We went with Ting because at the time we both had phones that we had been using with Sprint and once our Sprint contract was finaly toast taking those existing phones to Ting meant no initial outlay for new phones and hallelujah, no contract. We've since bought two Nexus 5's. The Nexus 5 is CDMA & GSM equipped and not locked to any particular carrier so if we become disenchanted with Ting or finally fed up with their lousy underlying carrier Sprint we can flee to TMobile or even God help us, AT&T.
You won't have to flee to TMobile, since Sprint is buying TMobile. Looks like the resulting merger will be called TMobile, even though Sprint is the larger company. Shows you what the Sprint name is worth. Since Sprint is a CDMA carrier and TMobile is GSM, I wonder how that is going to work out?
berntson

Post by berntson »

I pay $0 a month for my cell plan. :D This wouldn't work for everyone, but I bought a used iPhone 4s and put a tablet SIM card in it from T-Mobile. It gives me 200mb of free data every month, which is all I need, since I mostly text. Calls can be made and received for free through the Google Talk app (though call of course use data if you are not in the range of WiFi). Data-only plans through T-Mobile are really cheap if you need more data than that. You can get 1.2GB a month for $10.
Milo

Post by Milo »

I just checked the H2O Wireless $30 plan. The cost does not include taxes and fees according to the lady I online chatted with.

Edit: I currently use the cheapest AT&T GoPhone plan. It's $25 for 250 talk minutes and unlimited texting. No data. But I find that wifi is available most places I go. So I turned off my cellular data about 2 months after I got my phone. I was always afraid I'd go over my 250 MB limit so I never used it anyway.
Last edited by Milo on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Milo wrote:I just checked the H2O Wireless $30 plan. The cost does not include taxes and fees according to the lady I online chatted with.
I can't understand why H2o would charge taxes and fees but AirVoice not. If that's the case, it's a wash between the two assuming you do autopay.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

indexmeasap wrote:If you want a true data plan, check out T-mobile's unlimited data and text (5 GB of 4g) and 100 minutes of talk for $30 per month.
+1 This is the plan I use. It's fantastic. Depending on what phone you have, you may also be able to use T-Mobile's wifi calling feature, too, on the rare occasion 100 minutes isn't enough. Or just pay-as-you-go for any minutes you use above the 100/month allowance.
indexmeasap wrote:http://www.walmart.com/ip/15443357?wmls ... ct+Reviews

I just switched from this t-mobile plan to airvoice because I needed more minutes and less data. I am not sure if this plan is still available - t-mobile's website no longer lists it as a pre-paid option.
It's still available. It is in theory a Wal-Mart "My Family Mobile" plan, but you can still get it through the regular T-Mo web site. My best friend picked it up just two months ago. They don't make it obvious, and you have to do a fair amount of digging around on their site, but it's there. If you want it and can't find it, I'd be happy to help out.
mikep

Post by mikep »

iphone 4 on page plus $80/year plan. Don't use enough for even the $12 plan. iMessage is great and is free over 3G or wifi, I can flip on 3G and send and receive a series of iMessages for .01 instead of .05 per text.
Browser

Post by Browser »

If only T-Mobile had decent nationwide coverage. Sigh....... :( Can't even consider it.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

Browser wrote:If only T-Mobile had decent nationwide coverage. Sigh....... :( Can't even consider it.
Browser, have you looked into Verizon network MVNOs? I haven't, but I have a friend who used one that was quite cheap and had some pretty favorable data options. I can't remember the name of it, but I can find out and let you know if you're interested. I loathe Verizon as much as any of their other former customers, but it's hard to argue with their coverage.
IMD801

Post by IMD801 »

Republic Wireless w/ Moto G phone.

$10/month for unlimited voice and text + wifi data. The Sprint network isn't perfect, but it's good enough.
Browser

Post by Browser »

IMD801 wrote:Republic Wireless w/ Moto G phone.

$10/month for unlimited voice and text + wifi data. The Sprint network isn't perfect, but it's good enough.
I used Sprint for years on a dumb phone. It was good enough as long as you were near a decent size town or on an interstate or major highway. I got used to not having coverage whenever I was anywhere else, but wouldn't go back to that now. It was my first cellphone experience.
pteam

Post by pteam »

My wife and I and both of our families all use airvoice wireless $10 a month plans and love it. Airvoice uses at&t's network. I'm an internet guy and it just takes a little adjustment to getting used to wifi only data for you phone, but there's wifi almost everywhere and for the few times there isn't it's good to have a break.

In fact most of our $10 a month phones now have like $50 on them from rollover money.
Last edited by pteam on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I did a chat with H2O wireless and was told that the cost of the $30 plan (unlimited talk, text, 500 Mb) is $30 with no taxes or fees added when you pay via credit or debit card. You get a 10% discount if you set up autopay, so this would be a little cheaper than AirVoice. You can also buy refill cards at Target I noticed, but the $30 plan refill cost $35 there, so you'd be better off to sign up at their website. Was told it uses the prepaid AT&T network, so voice and data coverage should be the same as AirVoice. Their coverage map shows no 4G-LTE (up to 4G, which I think is actually HSPA+ same as AirVoice). If I decide to switch back from Consumer Cellular, I might give them a whirl.

Whoops. Actually I see that the item at Target includes the SIM, so I guess I was wrong about that. Might have to pay sales tax though.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Browser wrote:I did a chat with H2O wireless and was told that the cost of the $30 plan (unlimited talk, text, 500 Mb) is $30 with no taxes or fees added when you pay via credit or debit card. You get a 10% discount if you set up autopay, so this would be a little cheaper than AirVoice. You can also buy refill cards at Target I noticed, but the $30 plan refill cost $35 there, so you'd be better off to sign up at their website. Was told it uses the prepaid AT&T network, so voice and data coverage should be the same as AirVoice. Their coverage map shows no 4G-LTE (up to 4G, which I think is actually HSPA+ same as AirVoice). If I decide to switch back from Consumer Cellular, I might give them a whirl.

Whoops. Actually I see that the item at Target includes the SIM, so I guess I was wrong about that. Might have to pay sales tax though.

My apologies. It would appear I was misled by the lady I chatted with earlier. :annoyed
richard

Post by richard »

Browser wrote:You won't have to flee to TMobile, since Sprint is buying TMobile. Looks like the resulting merger will be called TMobile, even though Sprint is the larger company. Shows you what the Sprint name is worth. Since Sprint is a CDMA carrier and TMobile is GSM, I wonder how that is going to work out?
That's been rumored for a long time, but there's no guarantee they'll sign a deal or get regulatory approval. The rumor is also that the tmobile CEO would run the combined company. If the combination happens, the technological integration could prove interesting.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Milo wrote:
Browser wrote:I did a chat with H2O wireless and was told that the cost of the $30 plan (unlimited talk, text, 500 Mb) is $30 with no taxes or fees added when you pay via credit or debit card. You get a 10% discount if you set up autopay, so this would be a little cheaper than AirVoice. You can also buy refill cards at Target I noticed, but the $30 plan refill cost $35 there, so you'd be better off to sign up at their website. Was told it uses the prepaid AT&T network, so voice and data coverage should be the same as AirVoice. Their coverage map shows no 4G-LTE (up to 4G, which I think is actually HSPA+ same as AirVoice). If I decide to switch back from Consumer Cellular, I might give them a whirl.

My apologies. It would appear I was misled by the lady I chatted with earlier. :annoyed
I went through the ordering process online to the point that I could see what the cost was going to be. It was $30 for the plan plus the SIM. Don't know if they add sales tax or shipping to the order, since I didn't want to actually enter my credit card to proceed to the final step.
chw

Post by chw »

T-Mobile here. We have 4 smartphones on a family plan for $100- free unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 500MB of data (this works for us as use wifi wifi when at home and at work, and don't stream video on the phone). Regarding call coverage, I used travel nationally (mostly to cities/suburban areas), and rarely had trouble making or getting calls. Last week while on vacation in a rural area, was able to se wifi calling on my smartphone when didn't have coverage on a network.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Trying to check TMob's nationwide coverage is an interesting experience on their website. After fooling with it for 15 minutes, I concluded that they have made it impossible to bring up a nationwide map with coverage indicated. What have they got to hide?
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

Browser wrote:Trying to check TMob's nationwide coverage is an interesting experience on their website. After fooling with it for 15 minutes, I concluded that they have made it impossible to bring up a nationwide map with coverage indicated. What have they got to hide?
Even when it was easy to see the map, the map seemed more hopeful than actual.
chw

Post by chw »

Gattamelata wrote:
Browser wrote:Trying to check TMob's nationwide coverage is an interesting experience on their website. After fooling with it for 15 minutes, I concluded that they have made it impossible to bring up a nationwide map with coverage indicated. What have they got to hide?
Even when it was easy to see the map, the map seemed more hopeful than actual.
I used to travel across the US (mainly to major metros), and never had a significant issue with coverage. Unless you live or plan on spending a significant amount of time in a rural area, T-Mobile should be ok. With WiFi calling on the phone, even. In a rural area you could get by on a limited basis if had access to a high speed connection.
richard

Post by richard »

For coverage, see http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html. It was the first hit when googling t-mobile coverage map.

Enter your area, zoom in or out as desired. It's easy to zoom out to see nationwide coverage.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

berntson wrote:I pay $0 a month for my cell plan. :D This wouldn't work for everyone, but I bought a used iPhone 4s and put a tablet SIM card in it from T-Mobile. It gives me 200mb of free data every month, which is all I need, since I mostly text. Calls can be made and received for free through the Google Talk app (though call of course use data if you are not in the range of WiFi). Data-only plans through T-Mobile are really cheap if you need more data than that. You can get 1.2GB a month for $10.
Same Sim card size? Thought tablet use regular size and smart phones use micro or mini Sim.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Absolutely love T-Mobile. Halved my monthly service plan to $110 a month for 5 phones versus Verizon. Coworker's Verizon phone worked well the week everywhere we went training in Northampton, MA while my phone barely had spotty service. But I'd much rather pocket $100 a month. Tmobile works fine at home where I need it. Brother is using tmobile for free in Japan. Data is always free. T-Mobile's Wifi calling feature means he can call back to the states for free as well.
bhramar

Post by bhramar »

Republic Wireless with Motorola Defy XT
~$22.50/month with taxes (for Indiana)

Unlimited calling, texts and data (3G). Free calls to Canada. Free calls to US & Canada, from any other country when you are on wi-fi. The service / phone is average but I mainly switched for the savings.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

Now that my iphone 4s is off contract, I'm paying ATT $50/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1G data. I rarely use that much data, but it's nice when I travel. I was tempted to switch to a lower cost carrier, but the $50 price point is significantly lower than what I had been paying, and was pain free to switch to, for now that was a big enough win.
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

As we are heavy data users restricted by location to AT&T network, we are using unlimited plans on Net10. $92/mo (after tax) for 2 smartphones with unlimited talk, text, data (throttled after 2.5GB). Been relatively pleased so far (6 months).
Browser

Post by Browser »

JDDS wrote:Now that my iphone 4s is off contract, I'm paying ATT $50/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1G data. I rarely use that much data, but it's nice when I travel. I was tempted to switch to a lower cost carrier, but the $50 price point is significantly lower than what I had been paying, and was pain free to switch to, for now that was a big enough win.
You ought to be able to get that down to $40/month with AirVoice or H2O for example, but coverage is on the prepaid network which has a few gaps here and there. If you'd be happy with 500Mb you can get it down to $30. You can get it down to $45 on AT&T by dropping it to 300Mb. You also get 4G-LTE with AT&T but you'd have to upgrade your phone to get that.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I too use Consumer Cellular and am pleased. It won't be good for streaming data users, and it runs on AT&T's physical network so it's only an option if OP's iPhone can handle that.
PJW
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

Browser wrote:
JDDS wrote:Now that my iphone 4s is off contract, I'm paying ATT $50/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1G data. I rarely use that much data, but it's nice when I travel. I was tempted to switch to a lower cost carrier, but the $50 price point is significantly lower than what I had been paying, and was pain free to switch to, for now that was a big enough win.
You ought to be able to get that down to $40/month with AirVoice or H2O for example, but coverage is on the prepaid network which has a few gaps here and there. If you'd be happy with 500Mb you can get it down to $30.
So the network is AT&T but the coverage isn't a drop in replacement? I've always been a bit confused on that.
Browser wrote: You can get it down to $45 on AT&T by dropping it to 300Mb. You also get 4G-LTE with AT&T but you'd have to upgrade your phone to get that.
Yeah, I figured $5 for 700MB extra was fine, it'd keep me from
being concerned while out of town. Ideally I'll keep this phone for another 6-12 months, fingers crossed.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

CherylHall wrote:Now that my iphone is off contract I am looking to get a less expensive plan - typically I use a more data, not that much minutes (hard to hear people!!) and some texting so I am not a heavy user. I know this is a can of worms but what plans are people using for off- contract phones? Anyone using Airvoice? that seems to be the one that I am leaning toward - I can keep my number and I wold choose the pay as you go plan. thanks!
I just switched from Straight Talk to AirVoice on AT+T network.
I think Straight Talk was a bit more reliable, but not enough to justify the extra $20/month, given that I never use more than 500 Mb data. If you use more data, I would consider ST over Airvoice (ST gives you 3 gig for about $50/month after taxes and fees before you are throttled).
There are very few disadvantages cf. the major contract companies. I would stick with a provider who operates on the Verizon or AT+T network (at least in my area....it may be different where you live, you would know better).
If you are happy with your iPhone and you can unlock it, great. If you need to buy a phone, you want one that can be unlocked easily if it is not already (research this online but be careful as there are unscrupulous sites that will offer to unlock a phone for you for a fee, but it may not work). I would suggest buying a used or reconditioned phone and taking a chance- you save a lot of money that way and it usually works out fine. I bought a reconditioned Samsung Galaxy S3 that was an AT+T phone, and I unlocked it in five minutes by following a youtube video. I'm happy with it. I am also happy with the company I purchased it from, which gets very good reviews, offers a great return/warranty service, and is environmentally friendly http://www.usedcellphoneshop.com/ They also have a very active ebay store where you may be able to get the same phones cheaper, and their inventory is constantly changing.
I prefer the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone, though they are both good phones (I owned iPhones previously), and each has its advantages and disadvantages, so it's personal preference. I haven't used other smartphones so can't comment.
If you are planning to use your phone abroad, you might consider buying a phone that will take a SIM card.
I'm willing to pay a little more for unlimited plans because I don't like having to think about stuff like how many minutes I am using and getting nickled and dimed. But that is me.
Good luck, Cheryl.
bnes

Post by bnes »

I use an H2O wireless prepaid plan,
and keep data turned "off" except when I need it.

Works for me, but I miss at times having always on data, primarily when driving for traffic reports.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I use Virgin prepaid plan - $35 a month ($38.11 with tax and fees). While the signal strength is never as strong as Verizon was, it's still more than adequate.
I use it mostly for texting, data (4g), and about 150 minutes a month of phone calls.

The phone the LG Volt was $179 and has most of the features I need/want for a reasonable price.
I save about $60 per month over what I was paying Verizon
Gustie13

Post by Gustie13 »

I use StraightTalk's $45/mo plan (Unl talk/text, 3gb data).
I talk very little but text a lot and use a large amount of data so I tried switching to TMobile's $30/mo (100min/Unl text, 5gb data) recently but the experience was terrible. Took me a few hours on the phone (which is a pain when you're porting your number over and can't use it) with different departments to find out that while my iPhone is unlocked enough to use StraightTalk (not my original carrier), its not unlocked enough to use TMobile. :annoyed
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Cricket/AIO/AT&T: We have have five people now for maximum savings.

See Group Save: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Can still steam Pandora and use GPS while throttled.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
BigTom

Post by BigTom »

I just switched to t-mobile it's good the base plan $40 has 500mb data with no overages , if you go over data it just switches from 4g to something lower you still get Internet connection for data . $10 for the jump plan includes ins on the phone , but if you don't upgrade phones you don't need jump .