Verizon FIOS bundle-->internet only. Streaming speed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Verizon FIOS bundle-->internet only. Streaming speed?

Post by coalcracker »

I currently subscribe to the "double play" with Verizon TV and internet services, and have for several years. Overall I have been happy, particularly with the lack of outages of the internet services compared to my previous ISP, comcast. However, we just don't watch much TV and our bundle price has crept up, so I am looking to dump the TV and just keep internet.

The recent discussions and lawsuits regarding net neutrality, specfically the Netflix/Verizon issue, concern me as I hope to be able to stream TV and movies after the cable is gone. Does anyone have experience with cutting the cable cord, and using Verizon FIOS to stream content?

I also eventually want to use an HD antenna to watch the occasional major sporting event, oscars, local news, etc. Any suggestions on whether this works well, and what antenna to buy?

Thanks!
TomatoTomahto

Re: Verizon FIOS bundle-->internet only. Streaming speed?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

For the antenna question, go to http://www.antennaweb.org/

Netflix/Verizon appears to be "solved" for now, although I haven't noticed a massive improvement. Perhaps that will occur later.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

coalcracker wrote:I also eventually want to use an HD antenna to watch the occasional major sporting event, oscars, local news, etc. Any suggestions on whether this works well, and what antenna to buy?
The answers to these questions strongly depend on "location, location, location." Another site (which many people favor over antennaweb.org) for getting information about TV signals in your area is http://tvfool.com/ . Don't forget to specify the height above ground level that you'll be putting the antenna. Very roughly speaking, if your stations are "in the green", you have a good chance with an indoor antenna; "in the yellow", you'll need an attic or outdoor antenna; "in the red", you'll need a very good outdoor antenna; "in the gray", fuhgeddaboutit!
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
siamond

Post by siamond »

TomatoTomahto wrote:For the antenna question, go to http://www.antennaweb.org/

Netflix/Verizon appears to be "solved" for now, although I haven't noticed a massive improvement. Perhaps that will occur later.
Exactly my experience... This has nothing to do with your streaming (access via fiber) speed, by the way. It's all about interconnection between network providers deeper in the network. Netflix used to work amazingly well for me with FiOS. Now it stutters from time to time, although it's tolerable.
NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker »

We have Verizon FIOS, and we have had a few rounds of cancelling cable. Then we re-order a few months later, to get the new customer deals.

We watch very little actual TV, but tt just doesn't save that much money to go without cable - the double play base price (with "Extreme," not just "Select") is only about $10 more than internet-only in our area. It ends up being more like $20/month extra, with one HD box and the taxes and fees. But that gives us all the networks, ESPN, ESPN2, and tons of other HD channels that we never watch.

Internet streaming with our "50 Mbps" download speed used to be lightning quick. During the past year, it has become much, much slower for watching videos and live feeds, with plenty of interruptions. We mainly watch on a Roku, using the Amazon Instant Video and Watch ESPN apps. In other words, it's not just Netflix - Amazon and ESPN also seem to be affected. Obviously, Verizon is heavily advertising its "on demand" options, so I assume they are intentionally slowing down the streaming for everybody else. That does not make us very loyal to Verizon, but they are still by far the best provider option in our area.
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Even though I had issues with comcast in the past, they seem to have some better options for internet with basic TV (including HBO) for better prices than Verizon standalone internet.

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

I gather comcast and netflix have "fixed" the streaming process with the recent deal they stuck. Anyone have streaming experience with internet only at comcast?
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

coalcracker wrote:I currently subscribe to the "double play" with Verizon TV and internet services, and have for several years.
I had an OTA antenna installed on the roof. Since I'm no handyman, my hope was to find someone else who knew what he was doing, but apparently all the many antennas I see in the neighborhood are legacy articles or installed by DIY's. None of them look like my antenna (which appears to be a Clearstream 2). I found someone on Craigslist who turned out to be a DirectTV employee moonlighting who was rather rude but did the installation. (He claimed it didn't need to be grounded, but did when I asked him to, and I suspect it may not be oriented properly.)

It gets all the foreign language channels my wife wants (not all of which are available in the cable/dish packages), but not everything that we could (sometimes) get with rabbit ears. Fine with me since I virtually never watch our TV.

On a related note, we're still on copper wires for phone and internet ($49.99 a mo.), but we're told to reduce interference on the line we'll have to change to FIOS, and that once we do, copper will no longer be an option. Phone and internet will run us $69.99 a mo. for two years, but it looks as if after two years they'll charge another $30.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Teetlebaum wrote:
On a related note, we're still on copper wires for phone and internet ($49.99 a mo.), but we're told to reduce interference on the line we'll have to change to FIOS, and that once we do, copper will no longer be an option. Phone and internet will run us $69.99 a mo. for two years, but it looks as if after two years they'll charge another $30.
Treat anything Verizon says about copper with a grain of salt. They are going to great lengths to get people off copper, and don't mind lying if necessary. In my neighborhood they are, among other things, calling people up and saying their lines have had multiple problems, so they must switch to FIOS. Strangely, however, the copper based phones have been working. A number of us are dug in and are not changing until we have no choice, and then moving to another provider not Verizon FIOS. Alas, there is no other copper-based company provider in this area.