Hospital costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
plannerman

Hospital costs

Post by plannerman »

My DW was recently hospitalized for a couple of days. While I was visiting her there, I noticed the hospital had publically posted their results. One of their measurements was ytd expenses vs budget. YTD expenses were about $60m.

This is a small, 36-bed, modern, voluntary surgical hospital--mostly joint replacements--4 operating rooms, no ER no ICU.

I couldn't help but crunch some numbers. $50m ytd is about $400k per day, or assuming 100% utilization over $11k/ bed/day.
At best, they have maybe 70-80% utilization so they need to net about $16k/bed/day just to break even.

Eye opening to say the least.

plannerman
desiderium

Re: Hospital costs

Post by desiderium »

The costs are not in the beds, but in the surgeries. For joint replacement, the joints themselves can account for a significant chunk of the expense of a hospitalization.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

$45 to $75 thousand for a knee replacement in the United States...
http://www.kneereplacementcost.com/

Seems to be a lot of room for savings with medical tourism for elective surgeries.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

In before lock...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (off-topic general rant). See: Forum Policy
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.