New vs. Used Honda CRV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ryebrook

New vs. Used Honda CRV

Post by Ryebrook »

edited
Last edited by Ryebrook on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leesbro63

Re: New vs. Used Honda CRV

Post by Leesbro63 »

Buy new. No question, unless you are really strapped. The premium on late model used CRVs is such that over the long term new is actually cheaper.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

+1 on new. You may be interested in the honda hr-v which comes out this winter. Will be smaller and cheaper than the cr-v
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

What's your out-the-door (OTD) price that you want to pay?
I just bought a 2011 small-SUV and paid about $20,000 less than new.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

edited
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

For $30K, one can get a CPO 2011 Lexus RX350 with 3-year warranty, so why settle for a Honda CRV?
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

edited
bru

Post by bru »

I have a CR-V. Bought new. I wish they had named it something else.

So far not one post has got the name right :wink: .
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Ryebrook wrote:While I feel comfortable spending $30,000, I don't necessarily feel the need to do so.
I suspected that. :) This suggests that negotiating much lower for a used CR-V may be in order.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I have a 2002 CRV with 150K miles that runs like a clock that I can sell to you for $4K. When I decide a new car is any better than this one, I'll be willing to part with it. :happy
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I second the recommendation to buy new.

If you are going to hold on to the car for a long time, the amortized prize different you save from buying slightly used is meaningless. However you get the advantage of knowing exactly the history of the car and can take a good care of it from the beginning which may have large impact on the longevity. Furthermore, you don't have to worry about making sure the (used) car condition is perfect without significant (unknown) issue, etc. Furthermore, it seems to me it's easier to find good deal with new car (compared to finding good deal with used car) since if you treat them as commodity, you can just compare prices across dealerships and get the best one (see The Fighting Chance method, for example).

I went through several exercise with our last Honda Civic purchase, and decided to just get new (after some attempts to get a "good deal" on used or slightly used one). It just ended up to be much less hassle.

AC
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Buy new! Did an edmunds TCO for 3 year old used vs new and wound up costing about same. New model is bigger AND gets better mileage.

RDX is 6 cylinder CRV, and it does lack acceleration off the line. If you can swing the extra, consider it since you're keeping it for the long haul.

I find the CRV a little small, especially when loading up the back with lots of gear. Occasionally, wished it were a Pilot. The new smaller urban SUV based off the Fit is promising, but I fear will be somewhat smaller than the CRV.

New or used, it's a great car and great value.

If you can wait, 2015 might be mid year upgrade that often brings more than cosmetic changes.

Why 4wd? Are you in snow country? It's not the best, and you might look into Subaru Forester if 4wd is important. Impreza wagon is also a great budget 4wd if it fits your needs and saves you some cash.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Buy new.

Today used cars are commanding outrageous prices IMHO. People who are strapped and can't wiggle into a new car are driving up the price of used cars. I just sold my 2009, which I bought used about 3 years ago, for more than I paid for it. That's never happened before, and I'm not expecting it to happen again.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

inbox788 wrote:Buy new! Did an edmunds TCO for 3 year old used vs new and wound up costing about same. New model is bigger AND gets better mileage.

RDX is 6 cylinder CRV, and it does lack acceleration off the line. If you can swing the extra, consider it since you're keeping it for the long haul.

I find the CRV a little small, especially when loading up the back with lots of gear. Occasionally, wished it were a Pilot. The new smaller urban SUV based off the Fit is promising, but I fear will be somewhat smaller than the CRV.

New or used, it's a great car and great value.

If you can wait, 2015 might be mid year upgrade that often brings more than cosmetic changes.

Why 4wd? Are you in snow country? It's not the best, and you might look into Subaru Forester if 4wd is important. Impreza wagon is also a great budget 4wd if it fits your needs and saves you some cash.
Where did you find the option on the Edmunds site to run a TCO for a 2011 CRV? I just checked, and could only figure out how to compare 2013 vs. 2014?
tony44

Post by tony44 »

I think you are crazy to buy any new car unless you are very comfortable with your net worth. There are plenty of reliable used cars.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

tony44 wrote:I think you are crazy to buy any new car unless you are very comfortable with your net worth. There are plenty of reliable used cars.
This is old school thinking. For certain cars, mostly Honda and Toyota...especially CR-V, It's actually cheaper (or breakeven) to buy new for the long term owner. But I do agree that networth should be the focus and not cars. But we do have to get from A to B so occasionally we have to focus on car consumption...and a CR-V, new, is a pretty cost-effective way to transport the wife, kids 'n dog...maybe a bike too and your mother-in-law on the roof, a la Imogene Coco in "Vacation".
Elks22

Post by Elks22 »

FWIW, we have a 2011 CR-V that we purchased new at the end of 2011 after comparing it to used car prices at the time. It now has about 30k miles and I imagine it'll go for a long, long time. If it were me I would buy used but I'm not in a mood to spend an extra $5k. If you are, then go new. I don't think you can go wrong either way -- it's a great car.
coop

Post by coop »

I bought a new 2004 CR-V on July 4, 2004. It now has 120,000 miles on it and obviously is coming up on its 10th birthday. I have had no problems with it whatsoever, and I hope to keep it another 5 years. I think the current version of the CR-V is an excellent value. If for some reason I were in the market for another vehicle today, I would buy new and plan on getting at least 150,000 miles out of it by taking very good care of it. Which you generally can do with Hondas. I agree that over the long haul, the financial difference is virtually nil, and there is simply less risk with a new vehicle.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Ryebrook wrote:It seems like the new CRVs are at around a $5,000 premium to the same model from 2011 with low mileage (20,000 - 40,000 miles). If we purchased used, it would be certified used, as I am not very handy, and we would value a warranty either way.
To me that was a big reason why we went with a new CRV. My line of thinking was that someone else has used it for 3 years, has put on 20 to 40K on it, and for that I am getting *only* 5000 "deduction" from the cost of a new car? Not happening!

In your case, for 3 years the depreciation hit seller is taking is $5000. Assume that the cost of CRV with your trim level is 25K (MSRP is ~$26.7K and assume you wiggle out $1.6K lower on the price from the dealer, making it 25K). and that you are going to keep the car for 15 years (a fair assumption based on your original post). Essentially you are getting a straight line depreciation (3 years :: $5000 ==> 15 years :: $25000).

Added to that, there is always a risk in buying a used car, however small for Japanese manufacturers. I would say at that price you are not getting any additional risk premium for the risk that you bear on buying a car used and maintained by someone else for last 3 years.

That number to me is way too high for a used car.
Would you recommend that we buy new or used? What premium between new and used is "worth it" to you? I know used car prices are high right now to begin with, and with the Honda's retaining value so well, they are perhaps even a bit higher than other makes/models.

Any advice is appreciated, as buying a vehicle is something we have not done often in the past.
I would buy new. There is simply not enough "premium" as you say in buying a 2011. Now if you were considering luxury vehicles of the same manufacturers, they do appreciate at a higher rate than their counterpart "economy/value" brands. So depreciation of Acura and Lexus (this is arguable, but still they do depreciate higher than 'Yotas. ) would be higher than Honda and Toyota, respectively.

I still curse myself that I did not consider a MDX or GX 460/470 that is 3-4 years old, when we bought a 2014 CR-V EX-L new this year. The cost as much (or slightly higher) than my new CR-V. Oh well, we will probably need to replace our other car in another couple of years :D
TheExMexican

Post by TheExMexican »

We bought a new CR-V in May of 2000. We had a leaky radiator that had to be replaced 10 years later for something like $250. We also replaced the timing belt and water pump somewhere around the 10 year mark, too...about $800-$1k. Other than that, just oil changes, brakes and tires :)

We have come to the same conclusion as others here....as long as we buy another Honda or a Toyota, it will probably make sense to buy a new one. But probably not something we will have to worry about for another 5-10 years. :D

TheExMex
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

If you can find just the used car you want with the right options I would suggest a rough calculation like the following:

A modern car might reasonably go 150k miles without too much in repair bills. Of course you might have a blown engine at 100K or it might easily go 200K. I would not count on the 200K. At any rate the miles already gone on a use car are the best ones.

So if a car has 30,000 miles it is say 30/150 = 20% used up. Just a rough cut.

So I would not pay over 80% of new. If it were in great shape and just what I was looking for.

Figuring in these are the best miles, really I might think more like 70% if buying new were a good option as it is for you.

I would only buy used in your case if I felt I was getting a super bargain. If it were only an ok deal I'd order just the car I wanted and buy new.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Buy new. As others have said, used car prices have skyrocketed and you'll probably end up paying more over the life of the car.

With used cars, you may also be paying for expensive options that you don't want or need. I bought a new 2013 Outback for less than the used 2012 and 2011 models were selling for.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

With vehicles that hold their value (most Hondas/Toyotoas/similar), a CPO or 1-3 year used vehicle is NOT a good value.
Either buy new, or buy used with 75k+ miles.

In this case, I'd recommend a Forester and CX-5 be cross-shopped. There is a lot of competition in the $22-25k CUV price range. Just don't go overboard with options.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

There is also the issue of warranty. True, TOY/HON are among the most problem free cars, especially during the early years. But there is still the risk that a used car was abused or worse or that it was just a lemon that someone traded. Whereas a new car will have you covered for 3 (4 for luxury) years. And even after that, there is great value in knowing the car's history. Sure, you could need a costly repair in year 5, but the odds are much less if it's a car that you bought new and know the history...versus one bought 2 years prior as a 3 year old car, where you don't know how it was driven before.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

I second the suggestions to consider buying a new vehicle --at a big discount-- rather than buying a used one at an over-inflated price if the difference is within a few thousand dollars. IMO a reasonable rule of thumb might be to allow in the range of 15 cents to 20 cents per mile reduction in price for the wear and tear on a late-model low-mlieage used car.

Because of the crash of the economy in 2002 and 2008 and the reduced new car sales back then, and people keeping cars longer, there's a shortage of late model used cars that has driven used car prices up. So used vehicles are bringing premium prices but new ones -- especially nearing the end of the model year-- can often be bought for large discounts.

SInce Honda and Toyotas have a reputation for better reliability (though no longer deserved in some models) and thus better resale value, they also tend to be better buys as new cars instead of used.

By the way, a deal killer for me with the Honda CRV when I was shopping for a new or used crossover vehicle a few years ago was that a lot of them were manufactured in England, which is deservedly known for the worst quality and reliability of any vehicles from across the big pond. That stigma includes Hondas that were made there... and some of the horror stories I've read of major problems seem to support it. ( I suspect the country of manufacture -- which is England-- is probably why the "BMW" owned Mini-Cooper is near the bottom of the list of reliable cars down there with Land Rover, too.)

So ... In my opinion, in shopping for a new or used CRV, the first thing to look at is the first digit of the VIN number. If it's an "S" for England, cross it off your list and keep on looking.

Decoding VIN numbers

Another thing to think about is that "certified" does not necessarily mean much unless it's a warranty by the manufacturer. Even then you need to read the fine print very carefully. Often you'll see that the "certification" only covers major items like the engine and drive train, not a lot of the things thar are likely to give trouble. And it may only for the difference between the mileage on the car and the "certification period". For example, if it has a warranty for 60K miles, but already has 40K, you may be paying a big premium price for a warranty that is actually only good for 20K miles. Plus, the manufacturer's original power traim warranty may apply for something like 5 or 6 years and 50K or 60K miles anyway for the second owner. So the "certification" may be even less of a deal than it sounds.

By the way, when you have the money to pay cash for a big-ticket item, the adage "It takes money to make money" holds true. The best time to borow money is when you don't have to. You can actually come out better by keeping the money and financing the car.

Here are some examples to consider:
  • A loan balance of $25,000 at 1.9% for 60 months would have a payment of $437.10 per month. At the end of the loan, you would have paid $1226 in interest

If you invest the $25,000 in a CD earning 2.% for 60 months it will grow to $27,627 earning $2627 in interest. If your tax obligation is 25% then after paying $657 in tax, your net earnings are $1,970 and your total net after tax is $26,970. Notice that your net interest earned is 1.61 times the interest you paid on the debt.

If you invest the $25,000 in a conservative balance of mutual funds earning an average APY of 5.% for 60 months it will grow to $32,084 earning $7,084 in interest. If your tax obligation is 15% then after paying $1,063 in tax, your net earnings are $6,021 and your total net after tax is $31,021.

If you pay cash for the car, then invest the $437.10 per month earning 5.% it will grow to $29,726 in 60 months, earning $3,499 interest. After a 15% tax liability of $525 your net earnings are $2,975 in interest and you have a net total of $29,201 after taxes.

If you had kept the cash and financed a car, and invested in the S&P 500 5 years ago you'd probably have earned enough interest alone to pay for the car.
Disclaimer: We've been paying cash for our cars and SUVs since 1980 anyway just because it feels good to NOT have a car payment. But the fact remains that it's not necessarily the best use of the money to tie it up in depreciating asset where you can't have access to the money in an emeregency, and when you can earn more interest on the big lump sum that is increasing in value than you'll pay in interest on the loan that is compounding in reverse as the balance decreases.

bru wrote:I have a CR-V. Bought new. I wish they had named it something else.

The other folks are no doubt using "CRV" to refer to the Honda Compact Recreational Vehicle -- which is what Honda called it when it was introduced in 1995 -- in the same vein as referring to a truck based passenger vehicle as an SUV (for Sport Utility Vehicle) instead of names like "RX-350" or "Yukon-XL", or "Christine". :happy

jimb
Last edited by jimb_fromATL on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jimb_fromATL wrote:I second the suggestions to consider buying a new vehicle --at a big discount-- rather than buying a used one at an over-inflated price
I second the suggestions to consider buying a used vehicle --at a big discount-- rather than buying a new one at an over-inflated price. :)

Clearly whether new or used, one doesn't want to pay an over-inflated price and would like to buy at a big discount. I was surprised at how inexpensive used cars were compared to new cars recently. I guess it might all depend on how one shops and negotiates. If one can get the seller to drop the price by $5,000 whether new or used, I suppose that might be a deal-maker.
wesef

Post by wesef »

Conventional wisdom is that a used Honda commands too much of a premium to be worth it as compared to new. The market is aware that Hondas are pretty reliable. Also, compare apples to apples: you might find that certain cabin features come with the 2014 that you're not getting with a 2011, for example a backup camera or lane assist. You'd have to check on that. The value of the additional features could add significantly to comfort and safety, or not. I also think there is a value in being solely in control of how the vehicle is treated from Day One, though that value is tough to quantify.

Do you really need AWD in the suburbs (if that's where you are)? I think a FWD CR-V is fine if you only get substantial snow a few times per year, and have reliable plowing of major roads. The standard CRV may be FWD, but it has decent clearance and is a pretty stable car in general. The FWD certainly will be more stable than the sedan you're driving.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

It doesn't make a lot of sense to debate simply between new vs used, which I hear all the time. It all comes down to the exact price and car in discussion. There are some great deals to be had on a brand new model that would be a better deal in the long run than many a used car. Likewise there are plenty of solid used cars in good condition that make for a better deal than some new models. A lot depends on the make and model, the cycle/gen, and so on and so forth. I was set to buy a new car a few years back but then found a used version for an unbeatable price because the seller was motivated to sell right away and buy a gigantic rock for his soon to be fiancé. It doesn't mean I'd only go with used models.
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

Thank you all for the substantial responses already! This board always comes through!

My wife and I live in Michigan, and our area especially receives a lot of snow in the typical winter. This year, we had over 120 inches total, so we do receive significant amounts quite often. Also, this purchase would replace our current SUV, which is a 4WD vehicle. I will typically drive the SUV on snowy days, as my commute is significantly longer than my wife's. We do think AWD is necessary for this vehicle.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Ryebrook wrote:Where did you find the option on the Edmunds site to run a TCO for a 2011 CRV? I just checked, and could only figure out how to compare 2013 vs. 2014?
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2011/ ... =101358304

I don't totally agree with their estimates, and individual results will vary, but it's a data point.

Start here for other years and models

http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html
Last edited by inbox788 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Ryebrook wrote:Thank you all for the substantial responses already! This board always comes through!

My wife and I live in Michigan, and our area especially receives a lot of snow in the typical winter. This year, we had over 120 inches total, so we do receive significant amounts quite often. Also, this purchase would replace our current SUV, which is a 4WD vehicle. I will typically drive the SUV on snowy days, as my commute is significantly longer than my wife's. We do think AWD is necessary for this vehicle.
Maybe you want to consider a Subaru Forester instead. This has full-time 4WD, whereas the CRV is 2WD unless the front wheels slip. In a real snowy climate, I would think the 4WD would be superior. Also, the 2004-05 Forester has the best safety ratings among small SUVs. Reliability is good on these also.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Browser wrote:
Ryebrook wrote:Thank you all for the substantial responses already! This board always comes through!

Maybe you want to consider a Subaru Forester instead. This has full-time 4WD, whereas the CRV is 2WD unless the front wheels slip. In a real snowy climate, I would think the 4WD would be superior. Also, the 2004-05 Forester has the best safety ratings among small SUVs. Reliability is good on these also.
+1 Both great cars, but if the AWD is an important feature for 4-5 months of winter driving, the Subaru system is superior.

http://www.manchestersubaru.com/subaru- ... da-crv.htm (biased source, of course, but good info)
bru

Post by bru »

jimb_fromATL wrote:
bru wrote:I have a CR-V. Bought new. I wish they had named it something else.

The other folks are no doubt using "CRV" to refer to the Honda Compact Recreational Vehicle -- which is what Honda called it when it was introduced in 1995 -- in the same vein as referring to a truck based passenger vehicle as an SUV (for Sport Utility Vehicle) instead of names like "RX-350" or "Yukon-XL", or "Christine". :happy

jimb
No I think they are mistakenly calling it "CRV" thinking that is how it is spelled. Not equal to the examples you cite. Its a common error. Leaving out the hyphen. Its name is "CR-V". And it is somewhat debatable what it stands for. It could be either Compact Recreational Vehicle or Comfortable Runabout Vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-V

Either way its name includes a hyphen.

I know many will say who cares but its been a pet peeve of mine for as long as the vehicle has been around. I need to get a life :wink: .
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

jimb_fromATL wrote:Here are some examples to consider:
  • A loan balance of $25,000 at 1.9% for 60 months would have a payment of $437.10 per month. At the end of the loan, you would have paid $1226 in interest

If you invest the $25,000 in a CD earning 2.% for 60 months it will grow to $27,627 earning $2627 in interest. If your tax obligation is 25% then after paying $657 in tax, your net earnings are $1,970 and your total net after tax is $26,970. Notice that your net interest earned is 1.61 times the interest you paid on the debt.

If you invest the $25,000 in a conservative balance of mutual funds earning an average APY of 5.% for 60 months it will grow to $32,084 earning $7,084 in interest. If your tax obligation is 15% then after paying $1,063 in tax, your net earnings are $6,021 and your total net after tax is $31,021.
Good points, but difference in investing isn't as great as examples illustrated, and carries some risk.

Comparing a lump sum investment vs. a payment stream isn't apples to apples. Assuming you've got both $25k cash AND $4xx/month for 60 months, use one for the car and save or invest the other and compare TOTAL difference.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

livesoft wrote:
jimb_fromATL wrote:I second the suggestions to consider buying a new vehicle --at a big discount-- rather than buying a used one at an over-inflated price
I second the suggestions to consider buying a used vehicle --at a big discount-- rather than buying a new one at an over-inflated price. :)

Clearly whether new or used, one doesn't want to pay an over-inflated price and would like to buy at a big discount. I was surprised at how inexpensive used cars were compared to new cars recently. I guess it might all depend on how one shops and negotiates. If one can get the seller to drop the price by $5,000 whether new or used, I suppose that might be a deal-maker.
It depends a lot on which used cars you're looking at, and how old and how much mileage, and perhaps what area of the country you'e in. In a lot of areas I'm familiar with in 3 southeast states, there's a tremendous shortage of late-model low-mileage cars, trucks, and SUVs.

So, in accordance with the law of supply and demand, the prices on used ones are inflated -- and have been going up instead of down.

Just recently in the Atlanta area I've seen dozens of one to three year old used vehicles for sale at iron-clad prices that are only a couple of thousand less than the MSRP of news ones just like them, and many of them are actually more than a well-informed buyer would have to pay for a comparable new one. Even older vehicles -- like 5 to 10 years old with 100K-150K miles or more are selling for a lot more now relative to what similar cars were bringing just a year or two ago.

Another change I've observed -- much like it was in 2008/2009-- is that because they are getting fewer trade-ins, many new car dealers are now putting much older, higher mileage and much rougher used cars and trucks on their used car lots instead of selling them wholesale to brokers and at the auctions like they used to do with the less desirable vehicles in the past.

Many new car dealers are also buying older used vehicles that do make it to the auctions to put on their own used car lots.

Plus, more new car dealers are doing like CarMax and offering to pay premium (though still wholesale) prices on late-model low-mileage used cars without requiring trade-ins.

This also means that a lot of smaller used-only dealers are going out of business like they did in 2008 and 2009 because of fewer cars at auction unless they have major problems, and from not being able to compete at the higher prices being paid by the bigger dealers for the good ones.

These reasons all make it a pretty hard to get a good low-mileage used car at a good price.

On the other hand, the unusually bad winter -- at least in some areas-- reduced new car sales; and it's already the end of the model year for most 2014s, with large surpluses in dealer inventories in some cases. So it's fairly easy to get a big, big discount on a lot of new 2014s. (I recently noticed that there are still some leftover 2013's being advertised, too.)

jimb
mrsscuba

Post by mrsscuba »

Just wanted to add that I drive a 2003 CR-V that I bought new in October 2002. It has 191,000 miles and I haven't had any issues with it that would not be considered maintenance. My most expensive repair was to replace the catalytic converter (was about $1000). I did this at 180,000 miles, and research showed me that the cat conv on a CR-V is certified to last 170,000 or so. As a result, I still consider this maintenance. I intend to sell the car at 200,000 miles, and I'll be buying a brand new CR-V. To me, and extra $5000 would be my reward for driving the same car for 12 years, despite the fact that I'd love a car with new technology and I've been tempted over the years to buy another car. My car still has a tape deck. I'd love to have bluetooth.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

mrsscuba wrote:Just wanted to add that I drive a 2003 CR-V that I bought new in October 2002. It has 191,000 miles and I haven't had any issues with it that would not be considered maintenance. My most expensive repair was to replace the catalytic converter (was about $1000). I did this at 180,000 miles, and research showed me that the cat conv on a CR-V is certified to last 170,000 or so. As a result, I still consider this maintenance. I intend to sell the car at 200,000 miles, and I'll be buying a brand new CR-V. To me, and extra $5000 would be my reward for driving the same car for 12 years, despite the fact that I'd love a car with new technology and I've been tempted over the years to buy another car. My car still has a tape deck. I'd love to have bluetooth.

One of these is a pretty good "temporary Bluetooth" until you are ready for a new car: http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/voyager-legend
Mtn Hiker

Post by Mtn Hiker »

The new CR-V will have a back up camera which we have found extremely helpful on our new 2014 Accord. My last three cars were purchased used (two of them Hondas). The price of a new Accord today was just too close to the used Accord prices, and, oh, it is just so nice to have a brand new car every once in a while. Go for it. And good luck.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

FWIW, our family has had one of Honda's AWD vehicles, lived in both Colorado and Michigan, and we loved their AWD. Subaru makes great cars and they are very popular here too, but Honda's has sufficed plenty for us. That includes record storms--one time we got 36" in 24 hours and the vehicle performed admirably. Anyone who lives in this kind of climate knows clearance and proper tires (like Blizzaks) are far more important for snow driving than what kind of AWD you have, or even if you have AWD at all.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I do not have an opinion on new vs. used.

I just want to mention I bought a used 2009 Honda CRV EX-L (AWD) in 2011 with 31,000 miles on it. I bought it from a larger used car dealer that uses a fixed price business model with all prices posted. Most of their cars were leases or rentals. My CRV was an Enterprise rental. The CRV now has 105,000 miles on it. Replaced front brake pads and all tires; other than that, the only problem is some rattling of the catalytic converter heat shield. I live in a heavy snow area and the CRV has AWD which provides incredible traction! I have a 100 mile (round trip) commute and average 27-28 mpg in the summer (drops way off in the winter). It is also great for hauling. Over the past few weeks, we have hauled quite a few loads of 20 two cu. ft. bags of bark mulch (20 bags per load) and a bedroom dresser. The routine maintenance is easy to do and I change my own engine oil, transmission oil and rear differential oil. No complaints or regrets - I have been really happy with the CRV EX-L.

Would it have been better new than used? I don't know.

I highly recommend the CRV.
void

Post by void »

mrsscuba wrote:Just wanted to add that I drive a 2003 CR-V that I bought new in October 2002. It has 191,000 miles and I haven't had any issues with it that would not be considered maintenance. My most expensive repair was to replace the catalytic converter (was about $1000). I did this at 180,000 miles, and research showed me that the cat conv on a CR-V is certified to last 170,000 or so. As a result, I still consider this maintenance. I intend to sell the car at 200,000 miles, and I'll be buying a brand new CR-V. To me, and extra $5000 would be my reward for driving the same car for 12 years, despite the fact that I'd love a car with new technology and I've been tempted over the years to buy another car. My car still has a tape deck. I'd love to have bluetooth.
We had a 2003 CR-V purchased new in 2004. RIP. Engine needed replacement at ~165K, confirmed by 2 independent mechanics. All maintenance performed on time.

Unexpected failures:
- entire A/C system (Google for Honda CR-V Black Death)
- 2 door actuators
- engine

Having been disappointed in the legendary Honda brand, we traded it in for a new Toyota.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

void wrote:
We had a 2003 CR-V purchased new in 2004. RIP. Engine needed replacement at ~165K, confirmed by 2 independent mechanics. All maintenance performed on time.

Unexpected failures:
- entire A/C system (Google for Honda CR-V Black Death)
- 2 door actuators
- engine

Having been disappointed in the legendary Honda brand, we traded it in for a new Toyota.
Just curious when the A/C and door actuators failed.

Had an Accord A/C failure at 11 years, 130,000 miles.

That illustrates why I never count on more than 150k good miles when thinking about used. Even that might be pushing it. Sure they might go just fine for 200K, but then again, maybe not.

Still I don't think of 165K as all that bad.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I feel a need to chime in on this old CR-V lovefest. I have an 2000 CR-V. I think of it as a death-trap relatively speaking. It's our second car, and I drive a vanpool to work so I only drive it 300 miles or so per year.

The lower trims did not have ABS till 2005. All the 2005 models have ABS, Stability Control and Brake Assist. You are about twice as likely to have a fatality in an SUV without ESC. (I think they threw electronic brake force distribution in there somewhere on some pre-2005 trims. I think it's in your interest to research and understand your braking system.)

If your 2nd car does not have ABS and your first car has ABS without Brake Assist, then your two cars have entirely different procedures for optimal emergency braking.

With ABS, you "slam and steer", just hit the brakes and hold them. If you pump (or similar) the results are sub-optimal.

But in an old CR-V without ABS, if you slam and hold you are rather likely go into a sideways skid and rollover.

Brake assist is for the people who are still pumping or otherwise not following the optimal emergency braking procedure for ABS, 85% of people according to one study. The computer detects the initial slam reflex and engineers optimal braking in spite oft he driver's actions (unless they completely let off the brake).
Last edited by tadamsmar on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I purchased a new 2014 CR-V after checking out used CR-Vs, Subaru Foresters, and Toyota RAV4s. The used cars were outrageously priced! I cross shopped the new Ford Escape, GMC Terrain, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, and Toyota RAV4. I liked the CR-V best for comfortable seating, overall utility, and the price I was able to negotiate. I could not negotiate a deal on a Forester because they are selling like hotcakes in my region. I preferred the Honda to the others. I've owned several Honda Accords since 1985 and never had any problems. My local dealer has an excellent service department and appreciates the fact that I've purchased 5 cars from them. The service manager takes time to explain things to my wife and doesn't treat her as if she is a dumb woman. She knows very little about cars and requires extensive explanation. This falls into the happy wife - happy life category. As a Boglehead, I liked the price!

I would suggest using truecar.com. Be sure that the dealers who respond use the actual MSRP and include the destination charge of $830 and the documentation fee for your area (It's $250 in my area). I took the truecar certificate to my local dealer, and they beat the quotes I had received.

DMW
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

UPDATE:

Currently considering a 2011 CR-V LX AWD with 35k miles, certified pre-owned, listed at $18,000 vs. a new CR-V, same package listed at $25,000. Would you all still recommend buying new vs pre-owned?
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Pre-owned is used.

For this kind of money, buy a new one or a new 2015 CX-5, drives much better and quieter with more safety features but the resale is not as good. The other option is a Subaru Forester. Not sure if the Outback would fit your budget.

For the record, I bought a 2012 Lexus Rx350 CPO for $32k with $20k miles on it.

Good luck.
bru

Post by bru »

5 months later and you are still debating? And I thought I had trouble making decisions.

New. Or maybe the HR-V (there's that darn hyphen again) will meet your needs. Smaller than the CR-V, based on the Fit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewdepa ... over-boom/
BigPrince

Post by BigPrince »

I had an 02 CR-V; I loved it.
I have a 13 CR-V; I love it.

Since your said your not terribly handy with cars and it looks like you keep your cars for 10+ years, by new, take care of it, and enjoy :)

I am in the buy new for safety features, buy new for less hassle, and buy new with the intentions of keeping it long term camp.
Topic Author
Ryebrook

Post by Ryebrook »

Yes, I know...I suffer from paralysis from analysis. I just want to make sure we get the best deal possible on this. I am surprised at so many advocates to buy new vs. used. I can't seem to get past the $7,000 price difference up front between the 2011 and 2015.
youngcrv

Post by youngcrv »

The 2015 has considerably better fuel economy than the 2011. If you own your car for 10+ years (and I drive a 2004 that I'm now on year 11 with ... still runs like a champ!) than that is an offset on the higher price of the 2015.