Does anyone here play fantasy football?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FlightBoy

Does anyone here play fantasy football?

Post by FlightBoy »

Fantasy football is a hobby I enjoy playing with my friends each year. Are there any other members of this forum who love playing each year? If so please post below as I think it would be a great advantage to our individual success to collectively talk about players prior to the drafts this year.

How many years have you been playing fantasy football? Do you play just for fun in a free league?
Kenkat

Re: Does anyone here play fantasy football?

Post by Kenkat »

I have been in a 12 team league since the 1993 season (currently commissioner). Some members have come and gone, but there are still several founding members in the league and it is a great way to stay in touch and have some fun.

We charge a nominal fee every year of $60 and the league is structured in such a way that there are many payout opportunities, so almost everyone gets some money back.

Things have changed a lot since the days of manually calculating results from the USA Today and reading Pro Football Weekly to try and figure out starting rosters prior to the draft.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have been in a 10 team league since 1988-1989 season. We have 8 of 10 original members from my high school class.

I thought we were pretty "early adopters", but a guy I go to church with started a league in 1982. He lived in the Minneapolis area which was pretty early. I'm sure there were leagues before that.

Our rules have changed a bit over the years, but we are still pretty basic. Each owner puts in $50 and a waiver is 50 cents. Super bowl champ gets $375, runner up gets $125 and the 2 division winners split the waiver pot money.

25 years later it is still fun.
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Been playing (on the internet...espn, yahoo, cbs) for 15+ years.

For last 10 in a league with 9 others, all from other cities and no one knows anyone else... although several of us are friends now on Facebook.

Top tier TE are just as productive as WR.

Who is top QB? top RB this year? Eagles offense may be more explosive this year with Sproles in backfield.
mrehal

Post by mrehal »

I've been playing Fantasy Football for about six years full time now. When the season comes I'm absolutely obsessed with it. I consider it a hobby of mine during the season, and I more often than not make the playoffs.
Last year I was in five leagues and made the playoffs in four, winning the championship in one of my leagues, a 16 teamer, the first year in it. I had the 16th pick in the first round to boot. The other leagues I'm in are three 10 team and one 12 team league, three of them a snake draft and one an auction league.
I guess you can equate investing to fantasy somewhat - usually proper planning + a little luck = success. I hope I'm as successful in investing as I've been in fantasy thus far.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Does "real" football count? I'm in an English Premier League Fantasy league! It just ended...
Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
Topic Author
FlightBoy

Post by FlightBoy »

mrehal wrote:The other leagues I'm in are three 10 team and one 12 team league, three of them a snake draft and one an auction league.
How many of you have auction draft vs snake draft?

Do you play ppr ? 4 or 6 point passing TDs?
Topic Author
FlightBoy

Post by FlightBoy »

Don Christy wrote:Does "real" football count? I'm in an English Premier League Fantasy league! It just ended...
Don
It counts if its the World Cup. :)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Sadly, I don't think Fantasy Football is on the list of approved topics for this forum anymore...
Attempted new signature...
mrehal

Post by mrehal »

I prefer snake drafts, but the auction drafts are a good way to spice things up. Three leagues were 1 PPR, one was 0.5 PPR and one did not have any PPR. 6 points for passing TDs, -2 for INTs.
nakedbird226

Post by nakedbird226 »

I played this past year in a league at work for the first time. I did pretty well for not playing before. Missed being in the championship by one game. I look forward to continuing to play for years to come though. I like having a reason to watch every football game rather than just watching my home team play.
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

I'm in a 16 team league that I've been playing with work buddies for about 10 years. I've played fantasy 'futball' before and personally didn't like it, but the World Cup can't come soon enough.
Agwapijaw

Post by Agwapijaw »

I've been in a 14 man league since 2004. Buy in varries by year but is typially $25-$50 with additional costing for trades/pickups. I've placed 1st 3 times last 1 once and in the top 5 all other years.
Topic Author
FlightBoy

Post by FlightBoy »

mickens16 wrote:I'm in a 16 team league that I've been playing with work buddies for about 10 years. I've played fantasy 'futball' before and personally didn't like it, but the World Cup can't come soon enough.
So you won't be playing any fantasy world cup games this year?
Investapreneuer

Post by Investapreneuer »

I've been playing for years. One home league with local guys, and the rest are various high-stakes leagues through the NFFC.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Play religiously in a regular league I run as well as a keeper league where we draft college players and hold them for sometimes years on a "practice squad" before they are drafted into the NFL. Though there is money involved I don't know how applicable this is to a financial forum otherwise I'd be willing to discuss ad-nasueum
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I must be out of date. I like speculation, gambling and related things as much as the next guy. This whole fantasy league thing seems to me to be such a colossal waste of time. And "what difference does it make" if running back A gains more yards than running back B? Wouldn't watching games that you are interested in and otherwise doing more "useful" activities help maximize your life? I know the answer: No....
matjen

Post by matjen »

Calm Man wrote:I must be out of date. I like speculation, gambling and related things as much as the next guy. This whole fantasy league thing seems to me to be such a colossal waste of time. And "what difference does it make" if running back A gains more yards than running back B? Wouldn't watching games that you are interested in and otherwise doing more "useful" activities help maximize your life? I know the answer: No....
Although "colossal waste of time" may be a tad strong, I completely agree with the overall sentiment. To each his own I suppose. I feel guilty enough cheering on my local team each Sunday knowing that there is a huge brain injury and general meat market issue with the sport.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Investapreneuer

Post by Investapreneuer »

Calm Man wrote:I must be out of date. I like speculation, gambling and related things as much as the next guy. This whole fantasy league thing seems to me to be such a colossal waste of time. And "what difference does it make" if running back A gains more yards than running back B? Wouldn't watching games that you are interested in and otherwise doing more "useful" activities help maximize your life? I know the answer: No....
It's a fun hobby with friends and family, and it can be done quickly or with lots of time, your choice. And it beats other hobbies like drinking or having affairs! :sharebeer
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Investapreneuer wrote:
It's a fun hobby with friends and family, and it can be done quickly or with lots of time, your choice. And it beats other hobbies like drinking or having affairs! :sharebeer
Is it as fun as drinking or having an affair? From what I understand plenty of guys drink when "playing" fantasy football (I think playing fantasy football means reading box scores. watching games, and making trades of players).
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I've used fantasy football as a vehicle to stay in touch with high school friends. We graduated with a class of 43. 10 of us formed the league. 8 are still in it 25 years later.

Like anything it can be over done. It keeps me interested in teams/players I would not otherwise care about. It keeps me from focusing on how bad the Minnesota Vikings are each year.

Anyone can do it, but it takes some effort and luck to be good at it. Maybe some similarities to investing?
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

How dare you sir.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Speculation and gambling could be described as a colossal waste of time. I've won decent money in a fantasy football league. You are out of date :wink:
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

kenschmidt wrote:I have been in a 12 team league since the 1993 season (currently commissioner). Some members have come and gone, but there are still several founding members in the league and it is a great way to stay in touch and have some fun.

We charge a nominal fee every year of $60 and the league is structured in such a way that there are many payout opportunities, so almost everyone gets some money back.

Things have changed a lot since the days of manually calculating results from the USA Today and reading Pro Football Weekly to try and figure out starting rosters prior to the draft.
Ah, yes. The venerable Pro Football Weekly, published by Hub and Dan Arkush of Chicago. How I miss that publication and those day
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Don Christy wrote:Does "real" football count? I'm in an English Premier League Fantasy league! It just ended...
Don
No!
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I not only play, I'm co-owner of a FFL website with cash payouts. 50,000 users and counting. Couldn't be having more fun.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Calm Man wrote:This whole fantasy league thing seems to me to be such a colossal waste of time.
How is it different than any other game that people play?
traveler90

Post by traveler90 »

vitaflo wrote:I not only play, I'm co-owner of a FFL website with cash payouts. 50,000 users and counting. Couldn't be having more fun.
Name of website? Or is that against the rules or something?