Amazon prime - how to get the best out of it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sunny Sarkar

Amazon prime - how to get the best out of it?

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

We have Amazon Prime and find good value in the free 2-day shipping deal. But we haven't really used it for anything else much. Looking for ideas.

My kid watches Netflix videos - I was wondering if it's possible to create a separate login/profile for her without exposing my primary account (that has the credit cards, etc. set up) so that she can watch Amazon Prime videos too.

What other low hanging fruits are there?

Thanks,
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Jonathan

Re: Amazon prime - how to get the best out of it?

Post by Jonathan »

Amazon Subscribe & Save.
Ged

Post by Ged »

You can't share Prime video service across accounts unfortunately. However you could establish one account for Prime, and share the shipping benefits across up to 4 other family members.

If you have a Kindle device there are also free book loans. Same sharing rules as video.
ab80

Post by ab80 »

Probably not going to resubscribe to prime. I don't care about the price increase, but they've almost completely stopped using UPS. Now it's USPS and some other cheap services like Lasership. They almost never deliver within 2 business days, and they sometimes deliver to the wrong mailbox. There are also many times when my package doesn't show up and I have to go track it down at the post office. UPS always delivered to my door and on time.
Ged

Post by Ged »

ab80 wrote:Probably not going to resubscribe to prime. I don't care about the price increase, but they've almost completely stopped using UPS. Now it's USPS and some other cheap services like Lasership. They almost never deliver within 2 business days, and they sometimes deliver to the wrong mailbox. There are also many times when my package doesn't show up and I have to go track it down at the post office. UPS always delivered to my door and on time.
Fill in the delivery feedbacks and complain about this. It helped me out when I found I wasn't getting promised Saturday deliveries. Now I'm much happier about Prime.
ab80

Post by ab80 »

I think I have a couple times.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

ab80 wrote:Probably not going to resubscribe to prime. I don't care about the price increase, but they've almost completely stopped using UPS. Now it's USPS and some other cheap services like Lasership. They almost never deliver within 2 business days, and they sometimes deliver to the wrong mailbox. There are also many times when my package doesn't show up and I have to go track it down at the post office. UPS always delivered to my door and on time.

I average about 3 shipments a week using prime, and for the past 4-5 years at least, they have all come through UPS or USPS. In fact that's one reason I keep using it. UPS is like clockwork around here. My coworkers who aren't prime members do receive stuff through other subcontractors, and as you stated, delivery times and estimates are spotty.

Also note that with prime, your delivery dates are guaranteed, and not just estimates. There have been 3-4 times in the past few years where my promised dates were missed. After an email or two, I've gotten credits back for those ($3-5 IIRC), and I could return the packages on top of that.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

We just barely scratch the surface of the video streaming ourselves, and it's on my to do list to look into that deeper this summer. They just added a bunch of older HBO series too, which looks interesting. I've also read that they plan to add some music streaming. I'll probably tap into that.

I also use the kindle free monthly book deal regularly. There are also special ebook deals for prime members, where the books are free to purchase for a day or two, or sometimes 1-2 dollars.

And it's not prime specific, but I also recently signed up for an amazon Visa rewards card. You get 3% back on all amazon purchases, 2% at gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores, and 1% elsewhere. That 3% kicker is nice.
irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 »

Sign up for "Subscribe & Save" for anything you use regularly. We purchase our dog's canned and dry food through Amazon and save about $10-$20/month vs. buying locally. Refrigerator filters, oil/air filters for the car, anything you have to replace on a regular basis.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Subscribe & Save is available to everyone, no Prime required.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
target2030

Post by target2030 »

I did not know that USPS delivers on Sunday. I had a Sunday delivery date from Amazon which was confusing. Our mailbox was empty late Saturday night and the book I ordered was delivered yesterday (Sunday).
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

ab80 wrote:... they've almost completely stopped using UPS. Now it's USPS and some other cheap services like Lasership. They almost never deliver within 2 business days, and they sometimes deliver to the wrong mailbox. There are also many times when my package doesn't show up and I have to go track it down at the post office. UPS always delivered to my door and on time.
I haven't experienced any of this.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Streaming just got a lot better, they have now older HBO shows on it. If your child is relative small you can lock the kindle tablets down:

http://www.howtogeek.com/178303/how-to- ... -freetime/
ab80

Post by ab80 »

If you don't have prime, are there restrictions on what items are eligible for free shipping if spending >= $35? Two day shipping is certainly nice, but most of my shipments aren't very time-sensitive and I usually spend more than $35 anyway.
RustyShackleford wrote:
ab80 wrote:... they've almost completely stopped using UPS. Now it's USPS and some other cheap services like Lasership. They almost never deliver within 2 business days, and they sometimes deliver to the wrong mailbox. There are also many times when my package doesn't show up and I have to go track it down at the post office. UPS always delivered to my door and on time.
I haven't experienced any of this.
Part of it is clearly the fault of the mailman putting the package in the wrong mailbox or whatever, but I never had any issues with UPS, which they always used for my older orders.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

I like prime and plan to continue it but I agree with the comments about lasership.

Funniest thing is that at least twice they have reported to amazon that my address is wrong. I'm not sure how amazon accepts that since they ship me something 3 times a week for the last 5 years.
yb

Post by yb »

Giving small gifts with prime is really easy. Often I would have spent more on the shipping alone to send a small gift.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I use Prime and will remain a subscriber. No other website has the consistent service I get from Amazon.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Not my experience at all. 100% satisfied with Amazon Prime!!
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

They use UPS Surepost a lot where the post office takes the final leg of the journey. That always seemed to add an extra day, but since I live in Atlanta the first leg of the journey is usually very short (coming from ATL distribution or TN or KY). But I would definitely contact them. I did a couple of times and each time got another free month of Prime.
lululu

Post by lululu »

This is exactly the opposite of my experience. The USPS comes through for me every time. With UPS, I have to wander around the block guessing which house they delivered things to, and UPS has a thrilling habit of leaving heavy boxes up against my outward opening only exterior door despite my requests not to.

When I've called UPS about deliveries to the wrong house, I get nothing but rudeness. Once they did that with a laptop, and they referred me to the UPS contractor who screamed at me that I was trying to steal the laptop.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We have Amazon Prime and use it with a Roku 3 streaming device.

The Amazon Instant Video application combines Amazon Prime (free) content and paid content for TVs and Movies. When you log in, you define a 5 digit pass code that must be entered to purchase something. So our kids can stream whatever free Prime content they want. If they tried to watch something not free they are stopped by the pass code they do not know.

I agree the content is improving on Prime. Downton Abbey, The Wire, Sporanos. They are creating more original shows/series as well.

Personally I love the competition between Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. It means better/more content for subscribers.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

LeeMKE wrote:I use Prime and will remain a subscriber. No other website has the consistent service I get from Amazon.
Same here, except I can't figure out the free Kindle book system. I get a display for just a handful of books I don't want.

Searches for specific movies and programs are often not successful. I get many to purchase mixed in with the Prime ones to view instantly.

Oh well, they say that puzzles are beneficial for the mind.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: My kid watches Netflix videos - I was wondering if it's possible to create a separate login/profile for her without exposing my primary account (that has the credit cards, etc. set up) so that she can watch Amazon Prime videos too.
We have Kindle Fires and Smart TVs and our kids watch Prime videos. We have all our credit card stuff under security key so they can't buy anything. It's a concern Amazon has solved for.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

NAVigator wrote:
LeeMKE wrote:I use Prime and will remain a subscriber. No other website has the consistent service I get from Amazon.
Same here, except I can't figure out the free Kindle book system. I get a display for just a handful of books I don't want.

Searches for specific movies and programs are often not successful. I get many to purchase mixed in with the Prime ones to view instantly.

Jerry
Do you have a Kindle? There is usually an option in the Kindle Store (if not, search for it), for the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Once you pull that up, all books in there are free to borrow (1 per month). You can refine by genre, popularity, rating, etc.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

NAVigator wrote:

Jerry
You have to be on a real Kindle device to get free books from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library. If you try from the Kindle App on a phone or non-Amazon tablet, you will not find the Prime books.

1. Choose Shop Kindle Store
2. Browse > See all categories
3. Choose Kindle Owner's Lending Library
4. Browse and find a book you want to read
5. Choose "Borrow for Free with Prime" rather than "Buy"

You can get 1 book per month and you must "return" the previous book before you rent another.

It is slick and I use it every month.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Thanks bungalow10 and bloom2708 for solving my puzzle. I now have a book for June and I am even listening to it.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Speaking of shipping issues, I just placed another prime order yesterday, and the delivery date was again stated as "guaranteed".

I don't think that has always been the case. I believe it used to say "estimated." I can't find any mention about the guarantee on the amazon website.

Has anybody else had this experience?
Topic Author
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

bungalow10 wrote:We have Kindle Fires and Smart TVs and our kids watch Prime videos. We have all our credit card stuff under security key so they can't buy anything. It's a concern Amazon has solved for.
Could you please elaborate a little bit more on how to do this? Any how-to page links?

Thanks a lot.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:We have Kindle Fires and Smart TVs and our kids watch Prime videos. We have all our credit card stuff under security key so they can't buy anything. It's a concern Amazon has solved for.
Could you please elaborate a little bit more on how to do this? Any how-to page links?

Thanks a lot.
My TV, by default, requires a PIN to purchase anything from Amazon. It's a PIN that I setup in my Amazon account.

The Kindles have a security option to also require a PIN for purchases. Same PIN as the TV, however the Kindles require that I enable this feature on each device.
Last edited by bungalow10 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fandango

Post by fandango »

I addition to the merchandise that I order through Amazon I use Prime for three things:

1. Free streaming movies and TV shows

2. Kindle First (one free newly published book per month)

3. Kindle Owners' Lending Library (one free book per month)

I have noticed Amazon using the USPS more frequently now. Only downside to me is inability to track the package and when exactly it will arrive. Maybe I am just spoiled by UPS?
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Recently signed up for the Amazon Store Card. 5% back on Amazon purchases, including items sold on Amazon by third-party sellers. The interest rate is exorbitant, but I don't imagine many bogleheads pay credit card interest.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Jonathan wrote:Recently signed up for the Amazon Store Card. 5% back on Amazon purchases, including items sold on Amazon by third-party sellers. The interest rate is exorbitant, but I don't imagine many bogleheads pay credit card interest.

Do you have a link? I'm not aware of an Amazon card that pays 5% back.
Topic Author
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

bungalow10 wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:

Thanks a lot.
My TV, by default, requires a PIN to purchase anything from Amazon. It's a PIN that I setup in my Amazon account.

The Kindles have a security option to also require a PIN for purchases. Same PIN as the TV, however the Kindles require that I enable this feature on each device.
Found this page on Amazon about Parental Control.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... 662&sr=1-4

Looks like it can be set up for Apps, but surprisingly, not for the website. I can't create a separate login or profile on the website for my kid to view videos using my prime subscription.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

One side note. It is not a rule. However, there is a big overlap between book titles that are available for free on 1-month loan, and book titles that are available as so-called "library loans" through our local public library (poisonous witches' brew involving the library system, a mysterious company called Overdrive and Amazon... but free is free and when it comes right down to it I compromise my principles in order to read the books for free...)

Obviously what is happening is that a publisher who decides that it is their interest to lend a title through one channel is apt to decide to lend it through another channel as well.

Anyway, if you have an eBook device, take the time to check out what eBook-device-related services your public library provides. And by the way--you may qualify for access through more than one library. I do, and the set of eBooks they "lend" is not identical.

(Don't get me started on "right of first sale," evils of digital restrictions management, the transition from an ownership society to a rental society, stealing the common from the goose, or Amazon's infuriating policy of presenting me with an offer to purchase the book as soon as the "library loan" expires. Oh, wait, I already got started. Insert rant here.)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Prime Music allows you to stream to almost any device (Kindle Fire HD and HDX devices, iOS, Android, PC and Mac). Over a million songs - free.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I almost always get my packages in two days. And, I've received packages on Sundays.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

nisiprius wrote:One side note. It is not a rule. However, there is a big overlap between book titles that are available for free on 1-month loan, and book titles that are available as so-called "library loans" through our local public library (poisonous witches' brew involving the library system, a mysterious company called Overdrive and Amazon... but free is free and when it comes right down to it I compromise my principles in order to read the books for free...)
There's also a lot of overlap between the Daily Deals and Overdrive.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

We use the free 2-day shipping for several dozen orders per year. We do have a monthly subscribe-and-save shipment that does not benefit from Prime, but since we are Amazon Mom members, we get this order for 20% off. It is very rare that the shipment takes more than 2 days, and is frequently only 1 day, including Saturday and a couple of Sunday deliveries.

We use Prime streaming video through our Roku and my iPad. There is more than enough content to keep me busy indefinitely (though I am not a big TV watcher in general).

My wife uses the Kindle Owners' Lending Library for free Kindle books. It is true that there is significant overlap with Public Library offerings. My wife also uses a new feature that allows her to download (not borrow) her choice of 4 books from new/upcoming authors every month, though I have no idea if this is affiliated with Prime.

Finally, I just started fishing around in the new Amazon Prime music service. They claim to have a million songs available for free listening. Different than Pandora - there aren't set 'radio stations' but there are selections of songs that you can tag and put into your playlists as if you own them (but only for listening while online/connected). There are plenty of premade playlists you can listen to as well. No advertisements. The jury is still out - I just started investigating it two days ago, but it is their latest addition to Prime benefits (there are apps for your phone/tablet to access it on the go).

I did note a new Amazon (not Prime-specific) benefit a couple of days ago. I returned an item, and Amazon offered two options I hadn't seen before: Instant payment of rebate back onto my credit card (when I clicked rather than when they receive the item, with Amazon asking me to return the item within 30 days), and telling Amazon to arrange for the UPS driver to come pick up package from my house, shipping label in hand. Both features worked flawlessly.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

bungalow10 wrote:Do you have a link? I'm not aware of an Amazon card that pays 5% back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/m ... pr=conplcc

That link only works for me if I am logged in (otherwise it redirects to another, lesser credit card deal). I'm wondering if it's a special deal just for heavy Prime users, so here are some screenshots:

http://imgur.com/z3EuyUo

http://imgur.com/HZen0kZ
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

kenyan wrote:I returned an item, and Amazon offered two options I hadn't seen before: Instant payment of rebate back onto my credit card (when I clicked rather than when they receive the item, with Amazon asking me to return the item within 30 days), and telling Amazon to arrange for the UPS driver to come pick up package from my house, shipping label in hand. Both features worked flawlessly.
I recently received a gift of a jacket from Lands' End, and had to return it because it was the wrong size, and Lands' End did not have the size I needed, and they also didn't know when they would. I couldn't leave the package for the mailman; it was too large to fit in my mailbox, and because we live in a rural area, our mail is delivered to a cluster of mailboxes 1/2 mile away.

Lands' End instructed me to fill out a form, and then take the package to some sort of local office; I believe it was a "Posting" office. I had to pay to return the package, but I didn't know how much to pay. So, I had to wait in line, after which one of the office workers weighed the package on a scale, then told me how much money to pay to return it, based on its weight. A couple of weeks later, I received a check in my mailbox. I then put the check in my car, and the check and I drove down to town, to a bank. Then I filled out another form, and I deposited the check in the bank. The whole procedure only took about an hour or two!

We know our UPS guy well; he gets a $50 tip at Christmas.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Jonathan wrote:
kenyan wrote:I returned an item, and Amazon offered two options I hadn't seen before: Instant payment of rebate back onto my credit card (when I clicked rather than when they receive the item, with Amazon asking me to return the item within 30 days), and telling Amazon to arrange for the UPS driver to come pick up package from my house, shipping label in hand. Both features worked flawlessly.
I recently received a gift of a jacket from Lands' End, and had to return it because it was the wrong size, and Lands' End did not have the size I needed, and they also didn't know when they would. I couldn't leave the package for the mailman; it was too large to fit in my mailbox, and because we live in a rural area, our mail is delivered to a cluster of mailboxes 1/2 mile away.

Lands' End instructed me to fill out a form, and then take the package to some sort of local office; I believe it was a "Posting" office. I had to pay to return the package, but I didn't know how much to pay. So, I had to wait in line, after which one of the office workers weighed the package on a scale, then told me how much money to pay to return it, based on its weight. A couple of weeks later, I received a check in my mailbox. I then put the check in my car, and the check and I drove down to town, to a bank. Then I filled out another form, and I deposited the check in the bank. The whole procedure only took about an hour or two!

We know our UPS guy well; he gets a $50 tip at Christmas.
You can use a scale at home to weigh packages, buy postage online, print the label, and put it in a sack at your mailbox (I hang a plastic grocery sack off the flag thingie on my mailbox). Takes a few minutes, but doesn't require a trip to the PO.

Checks can be deposited using a smartphone or a home scanner. Takes 2 minutes and you can do it in your jammies.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Can you bring Lands End returns to Sears? (assumes there is one nearby of course).
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

No Sears nearby, large package, and didn't feel comfortable leaving it hanging on the end of my mailbox while it was still my responsibility. Corner case, admittedly, but really demonstrates the superiority of Amazon's return policy.

*edit--Thanks for the heads up on mobile check deposit. I just had a look; unfortunately Wells Fargo does not support my mobile device.
Toons

Post by Toons »

1.Use your Amazon Credit card :happy
2.Buy Stuff :happy
3.Watch Prime Videos. :happy
4.Stream Prime Music All day long :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
perl

Camelcamelcamel and Amazon prime

Post by perl »

Use camelcamelcamel to look at price history and set up price alerts on items you buy regularly on amazon. You can then order when the price drops.
Toons

Re: Camelcamelcamel and Amazon prime

Post by Toons »

perl wrote:Use camelcamelcamel to look at price history and set up price alerts on items you buy regularly on amazon. You can then order when the price drops.

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
countdown

Post by countdown »

Love Prime!
I am a dinosaur who loves my hard copies of books. Never give them up.
Prime has paid for itself many times over, plus free shipping for gift purchases.
Have not even accessed streaming etc. yet, but will, and possibly drop Netflix.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Just purchased a pedestal fan from Amazon and as always had 2 tabs open for comparison shopping,one for Wal-Mart one for Amazon.
Price at Amazon was a dollar less
I would have to purchase 50.00 minimum at Wal-Mart to qualify for free shipping.
Fan would arrive from Wal-Mart July 17th
Fan will arrive in 2 days from Amazon ,maybe tomorrow as has been the case more and more.
Amazon just keeps steadily improving customer service and focus.
(Prime Member) :happy