Ideas for dining inexpensively

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Ideas for dining inexpensively

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Some days are hectic and it's nice to be able to pick up food rather than have to deal with cooking and dishes at the end of a long day. About once a week, my wife and I (we don’t have kids) pick up a foot-long Subway sandwich and split it. We get it to go and have chips & drinks at home so it costs around $6. Once in a while, we go to a neighborhood pizzeria that has lunch specials. They serve two large slices of pizza and a drink for $7. We split that as well.

We're looking for more ideas on how to eat out inexpensively but are not interested in fast food. We’re open to both take out or eating at the restaurant and we don’t mind drinking tap water.

We’d ideally like to keep the bill under $15 (including tax) if possible to do so. In case it is useful to know our location, we live in the Bay Area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
cheese_breath

Re: Ideas for dining inexpensively

Post by cheese_breath »

Don't know about the Bay area, but where I live you could both have a coney dog with chili cheese fries and have enough left over for the tip.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Chipotle, or similar "fast casual" restaurants.

Or alternatively, canned sardines + crackers = dinner for under $3.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: They serve two large slices of pizza and a drink for $7. We split that as well.
Do they give free refills? Do the two of you both refill the one cup you get for your $7?
SGM

Post by SGM »

We used to pick up a chopped or whole glazed duck on Clement Street SF on the way home from work.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Is there a buffet?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
awval999

Post by awval999 »

My wife and I usually split an app and an entree. That will save some money.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You really have to watch the portion size/calories at places like Chipotle. You can easily get up to 1000 or 1200 calories if you load up a burrito with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. Maybe you could split that if you are light eaters.

Panera, Rubios, etc. might be a little closer to $20 than $15 depending upon what you get but I think those would be your best bet if you are selective about choosing more healthful options. Unfortunately the cheapest restaurant food is usually not healthy.

Mom and pop ethnic places that taste good but aren't in fancy locations may also have some good choices but you will probably be a little more than $15 unless you are eating lunch plates which are usually priced less than dinner plates.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

Pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Salad from the salad bar (if your supermarket has one) or just buy a bag of lettuce if cutting up and washing a head of lettuce is too much work.

Reasonably healthy, inexpensive, and fast.
black jack

Post by black jack »

We often get takeout Chinese or Indian food, and mix it in with lots of rice (whatever the restaurant gives, plus brown rice made at home), turning one serving of each dish into several. This works especially well with dishes that are sauced, such as butter chicken or garlic chicken.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

cheese_breath wrote:Don't know about the Bay area, but where I live you could both have a coney dog with chili cheese fries and have enough left over for the tip.
This is a very good suggestion. I'm not a big fan of hotdogs but my wife enjoys them. She has Fridays off from work and will sometimes get a hotdog plus drink from Costco for $1.65 while I'm at work. I married wisely.
John3754 wrote:Chipotle, or similar "fast casual" restaurants.
I love Chipotle! Should probably go there more often.
sscritic wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote: They serve two large slices of pizza and a drink for $7. We split that as well.
Do they give free refills? Do the two of you both refill the one cup you get for your $7?
They serve it in a pretty big cup so we've never asked about refills.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

black jack wrote:We often get takeout Chinese or Indian food, and mix it in with lots of rice (whatever the restaurant gives, plus brown rice made at home), turning one serving of each dish into several. This works especially well with dishes that are sauced, such as butter chicken or garlic chicken.
You can also throw in some more frozen vegetables heated up in the microwave.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Do your local Little Caesars have hot-n-ready pizzas out there? Around here they're under $5.00 for a 14" pepperoni.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

chaz wrote:Is there a buffet?
I don't know of any buffets near us that are under $10 per person but perhaps there are some.
awval999 wrote:My wife and I usually split an app and an entree. That will save some money.
We'll have to try that!
Beth* wrote:Pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Salad from the salad bar (if your supermarket has one) or just buy a bag of lettuce if cutting up and washing a head of lettuce is too much work.

Reasonably healthy, inexpensive, and fast.
Beth: Great idea. We do this a couple of times a month already. We get a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and a salad for dinner and there is even enough chicken left over to make sandwiches for lunch for the following day!
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Find a good bbq place and buy a pound of q and a couple of pints of sides and eat for two meals. We have done it forever. Also do the rot. chicken and salad.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

black jack wrote:We often get takeout Chinese or Indian food, and mix it in with lots of rice (whatever the restaurant gives, plus brown rice made at home), turning one serving of each dish into several. This works especially well with dishes that are sauced, such as butter chicken or garlic chicken.
This had never occurred to me. Will have to try that.
cheese_breath wrote:Do your local Little Caesars have hot-n-ready pizzas out there? Around here they're under $5.00 for a 14" pepperoni.
There isn't a Little Caesars near us but, once in a while, we pick up a two-topping pizza and chicken wings from Domino's for $12. It's enough food to give us leftovers for the next day as well. It's not the healthiest food so we try to limit how often we go there.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Costco rotisserie chicken $5 with salad and/or rice and veggies.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Mon May 26, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

DSInvestor wrote:Costco rotisserie chicken $5.
Costco free samples are less expensive.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Pho at your local Vietnamese.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

stan1 wrote:
You can also throw in some more frozen vegetables heated up in the microwave.
This. I live this way basically as fast food is always unhealthy. Even the "healthy" stuff is full of salt. Frozen vegetables aren't "cheap" but you can get them at about $1.50 to $2 a pound. Add some salt free beans from Whole Foods at about $1 per can and the meal takes 3 minutes to make. Now if you are young and not at all concerned about nutritional things, then the Subway footlongs, or Chipotle is quite inexpensive.
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

I don't know specifically about the Bay area, but while traveling I often go to a large supermarket that has a large salad bar. I put the salad together "my way" and usually make just the right amount. This is a pretty healthy meal and usually pretty reasonable. Many supermarkets even have places to sit and enjoy or you can take it back to the hotel (or home).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Maid of the Mist wrote:I don't know specifically about the Bay area, but while traveling I often go to a large supermarket that has a large salad bar. I put the salad together "my way" and usually make just the right amount. This is a pretty healthy meal and usually pretty reasonable. Many supermarkets even have places to sit and enjoy or you can take it back to the hotel (or home).
I don't know what your prices are, but paying $0.50 per ounce for lettuce that sells for $1 per 1.5 pound head two aisles away doesn't sound inexpensive to me. Now if your salad contains only tomatoes that sell for $3.00 a pound, you are only paying two and two-thirds times the regular price, much better than paying twelve times the regular price for lettuce.

On the road is one thing, but I wouldn't do this when my house is only two minutes away.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Use groupon deals or an entertainment book for about half price deals or buy one get one free.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

I find take-out from Ethnic restaurants provide the best "bang for buck". My wife and I do not exactly eat like birds, but we usually still get about 3-4 total meals out of two entrees from our local Thai place.
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

I agree with sscritics economics and those economics are true of any decent take-out or restaurant options. And I personally do make salads at home. The poster did not seem interested in spending time preparing meals though.

Buying all the ingredients for a large, good, "complete meal" salad can get expensive (romaine lettuce, spinach, arugala, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, peppers, avocados, various types of beans, mushrooms, onions, garlic, broccoli, red cabbage, sunflower seeds, tofu, etc). Also there is prep time - cutting, steaming, etc. If you can use all those ingredients over the next few days (they don't last)and you have the time to prepare, then you are far better off buying the ingredients. However, if you want a healthy meal quickly, a salad bar can be a great alternative. When we go to supermarket salad bars, we spend $6 to $7 per salad - which I admit is a lot. But you can also spend that and more at restaurants or many fast food places.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Maid of the Mist wrote:I agree with sscritics economics and those economics are true of any decent take-out or restaurant options. And I personally do make salads at home. The poster did not seem interested in spending time preparing meals though.

Buying all the ingredients for a large, good, "complete meal" salad can get expensive (romaine lettuce, spinach, arugala, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, peppers, avocados, various types of beans, mushrooms, onions, garlic, broccoli, red cabbage, sunflower seeds, tofu, etc). Also there is prep time - cutting, steaming, etc. If you can use all those ingredients over the next few days (they don't last)and you have the time to prepare, then you are far better off buying the ingredients. However, if you want a healthy meal quickly, a salad bar can be a great alternative. When we go to supermarket salad bars, we spend $6 to $7 per salad - which I admit is a lot. But you can also spend that and more at restaurants or many fast food places.
Once more for the frugal in me. If they offer $6 a pound cheese, that is all I would put in my salad. Unless they offer crab or shrimp.

When I go to a restaurant offering "pick one of three entrees, one of three appetizers, and one of three desserts" prix fixe, I always get the most expensive items, even if I don't like them. My thrift knows no bounds. :)
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

dickenjb wrote:Pho at your local Vietnamese.
This, and also perhaps Ethiopian (don't know if they're as prevalent in the Bay Area as they are in Seattle). The Ethiopian place we go to has a combination plate that, with tax and tip is $15 even. And totally enough to feed us both.

Seconding the idea of splitting a main and an appetizer, that usually keeps us under $22 with tax and tip. There's a Mexican joint we like where we get an enormous burrito for about $8.50 which we could split if we carried out (which sometimes we do and take it to the beach). If we also get an appetizer to go with it, it usually works out to about $18 after tax/tip.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Denny's

In your area I see one at Beach Street SF and one at Mission St SF.

Plus, I use a discount card and receive 20% discount after 4PM.

Thank you.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Some days are hectic and it's nice to be able to pick up food rather than have to deal with cooking and dishes at the end of a long day. About once a week, my wife and I (we don’t have kids) pick up a foot-long Subway sandwich and split it. We get it to go and have chips & drinks at home so it costs around $6.
Proud to say wife and I have you out-inexpensived (although it is just lunch). We split a 6-inch Subway sandwich and a single bag of chips. :beer
JW
Retired at Last
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Some days are hectic and it's nice to be able to pick up food rather than have to deal with cooking and dishes at the end of a long day. About once a week, my wife and I (we don’t have kids) pick up a foot-long Subway sandwich and split it. We get it to go and have chips & drinks at home so it costs around $6.
Proud to say wife and I have you out-inexpensived (although it is just lunch). We split a 6-inch Subway sandwich and a single bag of chips. :beer
JW
Subway was a life-saver in my high school and college days.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

The prepared food section at Whole Foods. They have a great selection and most of it is pretty good for you, especially compared to restaurant food. I would second the previous post of Costco. Although your choices are limited.
island

Post by island »

mikep wrote:Use groupon deals or an entertainment book for about half price deals or buy one get one free.
We use the Entertainment Book too. Pays for itself in a few uses and since we like to go out for lunch or dinner it gets us to try some new places, especially for the inexpensive choices.

We like to try different ethnic mom and pop places, Mexican, Chinese, Thai and Greek and get dishes to share.

Also call in order to pick up Costco whole pizzas to go from their food court and my family loves it.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Splitting Subway is hard to beat for value.

Aldi has HUGE take and bake pizzas for $6. They are delicious and rival most pizza restaurants.
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

There are two restaurants near us--one is Asian fusion, the other a French bistro--that offer dirt-cheap small plates of food and half-price wine and beer during happy hour in their respective bars. My wife and I will sometimes go there and make it a meal that costs about half of what the people in the dining room are paying.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I'll chime in with ethnic restaurants for the best value and quality.

Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Chinese if real chinese food, and Uncle Vito's pizza in SF are our favorites. Very tasty, usually plenty for two meals, and fresh ingredients.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

With me, it's 2 for 1 coupons at BK, McD's, Wendys and Arby's :happy
All the Best, | Joe
LowER

Post by LowER »

Home Depot hot dogs and soda! The ones you get on your way out the door for $1.50! That's my sodium for a week.

Also 6 inch veggie on flat bread at Subway - scrumpdillyicious! With a grocery store receipt coupon, they are a dollar.
Last edited by LowER on Mon May 26, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

joe8d wrote:With me, it's 2 for 1 coupons at BK, McD's, Wendys and Arby's :happy
OP isn't interested in fast food so that disqualifies three of them. I'd say Arby's sandwiches are a good choice though.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

It is suprising to me how so few people want to cook healthy anymore. I cook twice a week, There are two of us. Cook two meals that will feed you for for 3 days, stagger the meals and go out one other night, or not. All the pre cooked meals at deli's or supermarkets or fast food places are loaded with sodium. It really is a no brainer.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

cheese_breath wrote:
joe8d wrote:With me, it's 2 for 1 coupons at BK, McD's, Wendys and Arby's :happy
OP isn't interested in fast food so that disqualifies three of them. I'd say Arby's sandwiches are a good choice though.
Yep. Arby's is on the menu for tomorrow.
All the Best, | Joe
island

Post by island »

Robert44 wrote:It is suprising to me how so few people want to cook healthy anymore. I cook twice a week, There are two of us. Cook two meals that will feed you for for 3 days, stagger the meals and go out one other night, or not. All the pre cooked meals at deli's or supermarkets or fast food places are loaded with sodium. It really is a no brainer.

Wanting to go out for a meal now and then doesn't mean people aren't cooking or eating healthy.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

The subject was "dining inexpensively" going out to eat is not inexpensive unless you want to eat fast food.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

One of my wife's and my favorite places to dine out is the local Mongolian Grill. If you choose wisely (easy on the noodles, heavy on the vegetables) it can be very healthy and you choose seasonings to suit your taste. Dinner costs us about $12 each. If we arrive early for 'happy hour' or eat have a large lunch instead of dinner it's $2 less. We've found that Mongolian Grills of one brand or another are very common in some areas and difficult to find in others.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I went to my in-laws' house tonight for dinner (another great way to save on dining, I suppose) so didn't get a chance to thank all of you for your responses sooner. However, I definitely do appreciate all the ideas and will surely try some of them out.
mikep wrote:Use groupon deals or an entertainment book for about half price deals or buy one get one free.
We haven't bought an entertainment book in a few years. We used to get one each year but the selection of restaurants seemed to be getting smaller and smaller each year. All that was left were places about to go out of business and fast food. I do like the Groupon idea. Do they often have offers for restaurants on there?
countofmc wrote:I find take-out from Ethnic restaurants provide the best "bang for buck". My wife and I do not exactly eat like birds, but we usually still get about 3-4 total meals out of two entrees from our local Thai place.
We like Thai food quite a bit so this idea would work well for us. Thanks!
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Maid of the Mist wrote: The poster did not seem interested in spending time preparing meals though.
Just to touch upon this: I cook almost every day. My wife has a terrible commute and is stuck in traffic for much of early evening so I make most of the dinners. Cooking is not a passion for me and after working all day myself, I'm usually pretty tired (I teach 5th grade and 30 ten-year old kids have a way of tiring a person out). I'm trying to get creative by making life a little easier and picking up dinner once in a while at an affordable price.
sscritic wrote:When I go to a restaurant offering "pick one of three entrees, one of three appetizers, and one of three desserts" prix fixe, I always get the most expensive items, even if I don't like them. My thrift knows no bounds
sscritic: I like your style!
JW Nearly Retired wrote:Proud to say wife and I have you out-inexpensived (although it is just lunch). We split a 6-inch Subway sandwich and a single bag of chips. JW
Wow! I don't think we could manage on half of a half-sandwich but have to say I am impressed!
yukonjack wrote:The prepared food section at Whole Foods. They have a great selection and most of it is pretty good for you, especially compared to restaurant food. I would second the previous post of Costco. Although your choices are limited.
We have a Whole Foods not too far from where we live. I haven't tried their prepared foods but will have to give that a shot. Thanks for the idea!
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Robert44 wrote:It is suprising to me how so few people want to cook healthy anymore. I cook twice a week, There are two of us. Cook two meals that will feed you for for 3 days, stagger the meals and go out one other night, or not. All the pre cooked meals at deli's or supermarkets or fast food places are loaded with sodium. It really is a no brainer.
I cook almost every day. I'm just looking for ideas on the days that I don't want to do so. I realize that it is healthier to prepare food at home and am by no means looking to swap cooking for eating out on a daily basis.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

FrugalInvestor wrote:One of my wife's and my favorite places to dine out is the local Mongolian Grill. If you choose wisely (easy on the noodles, heavy on the vegetables) it can be very healthy and you choose seasonings to suit your taste. Dinner costs us about $12 each. If we arrive early for 'happy hour' or eat have a large lunch instead of dinner it's $2 less. We've found that Mongolian Grills of one brand or another are very common in some areas and difficult to find in others.
I have not seen any of these around my neck of the woods but will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the suggestion.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I don't understand why McDonalds is considered as (bad) fast food, while Subway is not.
Last time travelling on the road, my wife decided that we need some "healthy" food, not fast food, so we skipped McDonalds and went to Applebee. We waited for 30 minutes to get our orders, which were burgers and fries. Although they might be different from those from McDonalds, they were still burgers and fries. The price was three times that of McDonalds, plus tips.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Most grocery stores carry a wide variety of prepared foods that are a fraction of the cost of eating out in a sit-down restaurant.

Even when I was working, I generally avoided the option. I found that in general, I could put together very nutritious meals together from scratch in 30 minutes or less. While I was cooking that night's meal, I could also whip up a pot of chili or soup for the rest of the week. It was a major priority for us.
sport

Post by sport »

Costco is a good place for inexpensive food. The food court has a number of choices. There are also prepared foods in the refrigerated cases. The rotisserie chicken is an additional choice. You can get cooked pizza at the food court, $10 for an extra large (with or without toppings). Alternatively, you can get raw pizzas to take home and bake. The quality of all of the items is better than you might expect.
Jeff