new furnace and central air

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
exoilman

new furnace and central air

Post by exoilman »

I would appreciate any help here. I am having an estimate for Lennox equipment but would like opinions on other brands as well. Costco is offering a $1500 bonus card so I figured a good place to start. My home is gas forced air.

thanks
Sam
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: new furnace and central air

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I have a dual zone Honeywell Evolution 80 gas forced air furnace I had installed last September, the a/c's are 2 ton dual zone (2 units) Bryant (not sure of the model but it uses Puron). No complaints, thus far.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

All the major brands are basically the same.

Get a bunch of quotes from installers and see what they recommend and you'll learn a few things along the way.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
CABob

Post by CABob »

exoilman wrote:I would appreciate any help here. I am having an estimate for Lennox equipment but would like opinions on other brands as well. Costco is offering a $1500 bonus card so I figured a good place to start. My home is gas forced air.

thanks
Sam
I am also in the process of getting an estimate through a Costco authorized installer. There have been a couple of recent conversations on the subject on this forum and many more older ones. A search might prove useful.
Bob
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Make sure that whatever you buy is Energy Star rated.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
CABob

Post by CABob »

The Costco endorsed Lennox guy just left. His quote was about $8600 (after all of the rebates, etc.) for a 2-stage/2-speed furnace, 16 SEER, high efficiency unit. A prior quote for a Goodman unit of lower quality was about $2000 less.

Edit: The $1500 Costco rebate in the form of a cash card seemed to apply only to the purchase of a top of the line unit.
Last edited by CABob on Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

This thread may be of interest.......

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... &p=2059918
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
fposte

Post by fposte »

At least in my neck of the woods, the installer/support is often more of a deciding factor than the actual hardware.

I got Lennox variable speed furnace/two-speed AC about four years ago and I love it.
Topic Author
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

HardKnocker wrote:All the major brands are basically the same.

Get a bunch of quotes from installers and see what they recommend and you'll learn a few things along the way.
that was part of my plan, thanks
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

CABob wrote:The Costco endorsed Lennox guy just left. His quote was about $8600 (after all of the rebates, etc.) for a 2-stage/2-speed furnace, 16 SEER, high efficiency unit. A prior quote for a Goodman unit of lower quality was about $2000 less.
Goodman is definitely lower quality. Stay away from them.

My previous A/C was Lennox, and it was still going strong when I replaced it after about 25 years of service plus or minus. I got Carrier high efficiency furnace and 14 SEER A/C with the Obama tax credits in in 2009, and both are great.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (home heating, air conditioning).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Err, no.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
CABob

Post by CABob »

denovo wrote:
Err, no.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the subject, but, it appears to me that there is a fair amount of difference between different models within a single brand.
Bob
denovo

Post by denovo »

CABob wrote:
denovo wrote:
Err, no.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the subject, but, it appears to me that there is a fair amount of difference between different models within a single brand.
Yup, and depending on where you live, the furnace or central air will get more use and the reliability is of more concern. For the AC side, Carrier is known to be pricey, but very high quality. Goodmans tend to be stinkers.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

All the major brands are basically the same in quality.

Of course some have different features. :oops:

Many brands are made by the same manufacturers.

One installer will tell you his brand is the best. The next guy will tell you his is best. It's all BS.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett