cable cutting questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

cable cutting questions

Post by newkidontheblock »

Hi:

I am about to get rid of my DirecTV where I pay $130 per month. We have 4 TV's , HD and DVR service with HDTV.
I have already installed a large antenna in my attic.
I already had Netflix and Amazon prime.
We have apple tv and roku.

My wife watches real housewives in Atlanta, general hospital.
We both watch House hunters international.

I purchased Tivo Roamio and 3 Tivo Mini's. They just arrived today. I just signed up for Hulu plus trial.
I did not find House hunters international or house wives in Hulu plus.
I did find general hospital and many other popular shows.

We have IPads etc but airplay from IPAD to Apple TV is not an option. It is not user friendly.
Hulu plus is cheap so I am trying to determine if I should keep both Hulu plus and Tivo.
I did not buy life time membership because I was not sure if we will like being without DirecTV.
I found that Amazon on demand does have house hunters international. We can buy the entire old seasons for $10.

For those of you who cut cable did you have both Tivo and Hulu Plus or one of them.
I am trying to understand why I should keep either of them or both.
I don't want to store the shows on media center pc or apple tv.

Thanks
John3754

Re: cable cutting questions

Post by John3754 »

I cut cable 10 years ago, the only thing I have now is Netflix, that's it, but I'm not a huge TV person.
rph12

Post by rph12 »

I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but for potential cable cutters who want to see if they can still watch their favorite shows there's a site & app called canistreamit that is very helpful when deciding to get Hulu vs. Prime vs. other streaming services. You can search TV shows and movies to see what service has it, if any. If you can't stream for free (or using a paid service), it will also tell you where and how much it costs to purchase/rent as well AND let you sign up to be alerted if it becomes free to stream . I haven't used the app, but I use the website all the time.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Sorry, you are also beyond my sophistication. We don't have cable, just Apple TV and an antenna for local stations, and I thought we were on the cutting edge. You are on the bleeding edge.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

You'll have to give up on Real Housewives unless you want to pay for it. I went through the same thing recently and Bravo is one of the channels that has no real good options to stream stuff (unless you have a cable provider).

If those shows mean a lot to you, the best bet is to buy them on Amazon Prime or iTunes. Seems silly to pay $25 for a season of Housewives, but it's not any more silly than paying $130/mo for cable.

I also get over the air TV, have a Tivo and Amazon Prime. Having cut the cable 3 months ago, I find that now I just don't tend to watch TV. Initially it was hard but now I don't really even think of it. Sorta odd really. My wife who was a cable junkie also doesn't really watch TV anymore either. I guess humans are adaptable. You just find other things to do.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Where I lived before, I had two antennas and one tv for years.

Where I live now, I have no tv. Initially, if I really wanted to see something, I would go to the show's website or buy it from amazon or get a DVD. Then they canceled the shows I like, and with no television I don't find new ones, so I basically watch nothing.

When I'm exposed to tv, as one often is in some public setting, it's generally daytime tv (=yammering idiots), and I can't believe I used to use up some of my life voluntarily watching that.
patrick

Post by patrick »

newkidontheblock wrote:For those of you who cut cable did you have both Tivo and Hulu Plus or one of them.

Thanks
I have done it without either of those devices, just using the PC. If using streaming you don't need to store the shows, they are sent each time you watch them.
I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but for potential cable cutters who want to see if they can still watch their favorite shows there's a site & app called canistreamit that is very helpful when deciding to get Hulu vs. Prime vs. other streaming services. You can search TV shows and movies to see what service has it, if any. If you can't stream for free (or using a paid service), it will also tell you where and how much it costs to purchase/rent as well AND let you sign up to be alerted if it becomes free to stream . I haven't used the app, but I use the website all the time.
A quick warning here -- I just looked at canistreamit and it seems to be incorrect sometimes for TV shows. Some shows that are available for streaming on Netflix/Prime don't show up as available.
ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa »

Try something caled G-Box Midnight MX2. If you''re tech savvy, you're done with TV. I think Amazon has it
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

newkidontheblock wrote:Hi:

For those of you who cut cable did you have both Tivo and Hulu Plus or one of them.

Thanks
We had Hulu Plus and abandoned it for Amazon Prime. As a hobby, I also put together a Raspberry PI with XBMC which lets me watch stuff that Amazon Prime does not have.
http://www.amazon.com/RASPBERRY-MODEL-7 ... B009SQQF9C
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

You are cutting cable but you are using broadband internet to get your content, which you get from your cable company or your phone company or your dish company.

You save a few bucks but not a lot. And now we are seeing broadband download limits.

The real hardcore get their four TV channels with rabbit ears.

But why were you spending all that money every month on TV in the first place?
Last edited by HardKnocker on Thu May 22, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

House Hunters and House Hunters International are available on Amazon Instant Video. Some episodes are free on Prime. If you want to stay current you have to buy the new episodes. Also the current season may not be available until it is over.

My wife also watched General Hospital on Hulu Plus.

We are similar. Dropped Dish Network ($130+). Currently: 3 TV, 3 Roku 3, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. OTA antenna + 1 TiVo Premiere acquired from Craigslist.

I don't like the $14.99/month for TiVo. It seems expensive compared to Netflix. Well it is. But it is nice to be able to record things OTA.

Our internet is $50/month. Not cheap, but heavily utilitzed. One thing you can do is adjust your Netflix bandwidth settings. I dropped down a notch and the picture is good, but it is 1/2 the usage. If you are running into bandwidth issues.

We use internet to reduce our cell phone bills, with laptops and tablets and streaming. So it seems a good compromise to pay for internet and streamline other areas.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I don't understand the ties to a particular show. Did you watch it 10 years ago? Will you watch it 10 years from now? Was it even on 10 years ago? Will it be on 10 years ago? I used to watch Leave It to Beaver - talk about must watch, but I haven't for fifty years. We move on and tv moves on. Cutting cable just means moving a little faster.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Once you cut cable, you will find new must watch shows. Or you won't.
trees

Post by trees »

I use a Roku with Netflix and Amazon (Prime). I had Hulu Plus for a while, but wasn't using it much and got annoyed by having repeating ads on something I was already paying for. Instead, I just buy the episodes on Amazon if I really want to watch them before they hit Netflix/Prime - keeping up to date on one or two shows that way is also usually less than or about the same as paying for Hulu, and you get to watch the episodes without ads.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

We cut cable about 3 years ago now, and just have rabbit ears on a TV in the family room and a small one in the bedroom. We also watch stuff on the laptop once in a while ... I've signed up for a free 30 day Netflix trial a few times, we watch something through Amazon Prime occasionally, and many of the broadcast network primetime shows can be viewed after they have aired from the network web site.

We don't have special devices to connect our TV to the internet. We just don't watch that much TV anymore.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I got rid of cable about a month ago and simply find that I watch very little tv. If I have to watch something I pick from local channels, Roku or Amazon prime (all usually free).The idea of paying a company like Comcast $100 a month just seems like a bad idea. And they would remind me of it by raising my bill every six months or so.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

I'm all for cutting cable, but it seems like your bill is really high for satellite. Do you need satellite on all four TVs? Why not just one and let the others use the antenna/roku/apple tv/etc., or sell some of the others. The best thing about cord cutting is watching less TV and spending more time on other things.

If you call your satellite company and tell them you want to cancel, I'm willing to bet they will offer you a much better deal. Just be clear the reason you are cancelling is the cost. Don't let them upsell you on different packages where you end up paying the same amount. If you threaten to cancel, consoildate TVs, and maybe buy a cheaper package, I would think you can cut that bill by 50% or more. Of course if they don't go for it, be ready to cancel for real (which it sounds like you are).

Maybe switching the other TVs to being cable free will allow you to decide if cord cutting is for you.
DreamHigher

Post by DreamHigher »

I agree with many of the posters. I disconnected cable 2 years ago. The first month was tough, had a hangover effect. DW missed flipping through channels. Slowly and surely, she got used to browsing through individual shows on Amazon Prime and Netflix. It is actually much more freeing to watch TV this way. Also, you do not get ads. As a result, we've found good shows we watch, but at the same time we're not bound to a schedule. Free time allows us to spend time with our little kids. We subscribe to $49.95 6MBPS internet service from Comcast and we rarely see any problems with speed after after streaming content to multiple devices in the home.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We also got over the "we watch these specific shows" criteria pretty fast. We do record a few "regular" OTA network shows. But fewer and fewer.

The goal was to watch less TV and be more deliberate. If I want to watch an hour before bed I will pick a series I am watching.

House of Cards, Mad Men, Downton Abby, (Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are two of my favorites).

A DVR full of shows to watch always felt like I was in "TV debt". More things on the "have to do" list. I don't envision ever going back to that.
BossOfShorty

Post by BossOfShorty »

You should check http://www.guidebox.com. Lots of TV content you can stream.
I think both shows you mentioned are there.
You can also reference http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters for helpful tips.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Lanerious

Post by Lanerious »

OP should check out Plex (it's on Roku, as well as some other platforms). I think it's $5 (once, not monthly) to buy the Plex channel on Roku, but it offers a fairly long trial out of the gate. It has channel "plugins" that fill in many of the gaps left by netflix and hulu (most importantly CBS and HGTV).
WarpSpeed

Post by WarpSpeed »

Last time I paid for cable/satellite was in June of 2011. At that time I went OTA (with Windows Media Center as a DVR)supplemented by Netflix. I now use a TiVo Roamio and a Mini (with lifetime subscriptions), with Netflix and Amazon Prime. (We were Amazon Prime subscribers even before they started offering streaming video). I never did Hulu Plus (other than for a 1 month trial). They just didn't offer anything that I cared about that I didn't already get OTA, and I couldn't stand watching ads.

I highly recommend the TiVo solution paired with either Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. TiVo is rock solid and just works. Netflix and Amazon Prime have continued to get better with the passing of time. (Amazon is now even streaming older HBO content!) I also recommend the lifetime TiVo subscription. The payback was roughly 3 years when I did the math. I suspect the TiVo solution will last at least that long. And I just couldn't stomach the monthly outflows for TV. A onetime, upfront cost is far more palatable for me.

I find that more and more of my content is coming from Netflix and Amazon Prime. We couldn't go without OTA (needed for local sports, news, and popular network content we want to stay current with), but my wife and I enjoy watching a series in larger doses. Example: we're currently watching Downton Abbey and will watch a full season over the course of a couple weeks.

Bottom line: I'm spending less on television entertainment than ever before, and the quality of the experience has never been better.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

So what the consensus here seems to be to save money is to cut your cable TV and go without TV. Or substitute another source which isn't cheap either.

That's the solution.

I'm not saying its a bad solution.

The reality is that the cable companies have got us in a corner. They got us by the cojones.

Unless you get out the rabbit ears.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

HardKnocker wrote:So what the consensus here seems to be to save money is to cut your cable TV and go without TV. Or substitute another source which isn't cheap either.
Netflix is $8-$9 per month, for more content than you could ever consume. Personally, I can't imagine living a life without broadband internet anyway, so I don't include that.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

WarpSpeed wrote:
I also recommend the lifetime TiVo subscription. The payback was roughly 3 years when I did the math. I suspect the TiVo solution will last at least that long. And I just couldn't stomach the monthly outflows for TV. A onetime, upfront cost is far more palatable for me.

Question for you about the lifetime subscription. I purchased my TiVo Premiere from Craigslist for $30.

I almost purchased the lifetime subscription, but I worry that as soon as I do it will die and I'll be stuck. Anyone with a newer TiVo have similar thoughts? How to mitigate?

I don't like the $14.99/month charge for TiVo, but I do like the box and service and ability to record select shows.
MSORSA

Post by MSORSA »

Your Roku box is all you need. Netflix should cover most of what you want to see. Don't waste more money on Hulu or Amazon which is going to give you 1-2 more shows.
Missing your favorite shows? get the content on your PC and install the PLEX channel in your Roku to stream your PC content.

Also Roku have private channels you can’t access through the Channel Store that stream live TV. You have to know the code for a private channel to install it but is free and very simple to add.
http://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

MSORSA wrote:Your Roku box is all you need. Netflix should cover most of what you want to see. Don't waste more money on Hulu or Amazon which is going to give you 1-2 more shows.
Amazon is starting to look better with their pick up of the HBO shows. As a Netflix subscriber, I'm already planning a month long binge of HBO shows and Downton Abbey during the 30-day free Prime trial...
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

I cut cable approx 3 years ago, but recently ESPN has started to spoil the party - they are moving more and more stuff from the network channels into ESPN (like this year's Australian Open semifinals & final, and the upcoming soccer World Cup), and they won't allow you to see those over the internet unless you have a cable subscription including ESPN. They are also raising the price of internet - the difference between fios internet and fios "bundle" monthly prices are now 10 or 20 bucks at best. I'm paying $50 for relatively slow internet (only) from cable company, and could get fios bundle including faster internet, basic cable, and phone for $75 - so they've got me thinking about it. They will get your money somehow.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Browser

Post by Browser »

I cut the cable and use antenna TV, getting all the major network channels in HD. Only thing I miss sometimes is the DVR, which I could use whenever there were competing shows on different channels. Wonder if there is a substitute for that? I thought about getting a DVR recorder and using it, but they don't sell them anymore.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

The TiVo Roamio and the older TiVo Premiere both have OTA tuners. You have to pay extra for program guide service, without which the box can't be used as a DVR. When I bought my Premiere a year and a half ago, the cost of a "lifetime" subscription to the program guide equaled about three years of monthly guide fees. Total cost was about $600, I think.

I think the Roamio has more streaming options. (I don't use them on my Premiere because my Internet connection isn't fast enough for streaming video.) The Premiere can receive analog OTA channels if you still have any in your area. The Roamio is digital-only.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Lanerious

Post by Lanerious »

I haven't done it myself, but you can connect an external hard drive and antenna to this set top box and timeshift reccord shows. Small upfront cost and no monthly fee. This thread provides a ton of info on how the setup works. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview ... ers-thread

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-function-Di ... B00BFIJQ10
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Browser wrote:I cut the cable and use antenna TV, getting all the major network channels in HD. Only thing I miss sometimes is the DVR, which I could use whenever there were competing shows on different channels. Wonder if there is a substitute for that? I thought about getting a DVR recorder and using it, but they don't sell them anymore.
Depending on the shows that you watch, they may be available on line or streaming. 60 minutes and lots of CBS programming is available for streaming at CBS.COM. PBS programming like NOVA, Frontline, American experience is available online at pbs.org or on PBS apps on Roku, Apple TV, iPad etc. Hulu is free gives you recently aired TV shows. More shows available if you subscribe to Hulu plus. If you'd like to view Hulu content on Apple TV or Roku, you may need to subscribe to Hulu Plus. Hulu has content from NBC, ABC, Fox , USA, FX and some CBS shows like The Good Wife.

With DVR, you have the advantage of viewing and recording the shows at the time of broadcast. However you must record the shows. With streaming, you may have to wait until the next day for those same episodes to appear on the streaming services. Just stream the shows whenever you like. No decisions about which episodes or series to record, addressing conflicts or deleting old shows to make room for new shows.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
willie838

Post by willie838 »

HardKnocker wrote:So what the consensus here seems to be to save money is to cut your cable TV and go without TV. Or substitute another source which isn't cheap either.

That's the solution.

The reality is that the cable companies have got us in a corner. They got us by the cojones.

not anymore they don't.

unfortunately for them they're realizing that the "we've got them by the cajones" mentality really annoyed a lot of their customers. People are savvy and only getting more technologically inclined. TBH i as a consumer have them in that position now due to the numerous alternate methods of acquiring the product they have charged a king's ransom for for so long.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Browser wrote: I thought about getting a DVR recorder and using it, but they don't sell them anymore.
You should tell google and Channel Master that so they won't keep giving out false information and selling them.
May 1, 2014
Channel Master DVR+ review:
Subscription-free, no-frills DVR for over-the-air TV
It's not the only one out there.
Nuvyyo Tablo review:
Geek-friendly DVR for over-the-air TV
Google really is amazing. To find out if there are OTA DVRs, you only need six characters (or seven if you count the space). Google this:

ota dvr
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

BossOfShorty wrote:You can also reference http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters for helpful tips.
Bookmarked. Thanks!
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

willie838 wrote:

That's the solution.

not anymore they don't.

unfortunately for them they're realizing that the "we've got them by the cajones" mentality really annoyed a lot of their customers. People are savvy and only getting more technologically inclined. TBH i as a consumer have them in that position now due to the numerous alternate methods of acquiring the product they have charged a king's ransom for for so long.
You're kidding yourself. You are just trading one master for another.

As many here have already stated, the only escape from pay-to-play is to not play.

The game is rigged.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a friend in debt up to his eyeballs. Doesn't save a cent. His credit cards sizzle daily.

He has both Cable and DirectTV. They have a small house and have 8 TVs. Cable powers 4 and DirectTV powers 4.

If you don't want to cut cable (and look at viable alternatives), perhaps going the opposite direction might be the answer.

:wink:
denovo

Post by denovo »

Cable and satellite companies have promotional rates that are usually good for new customers. If you call and go to the retention department, and threaten to cancel you will get that promotional rate (in my experience). Have done this with comcast and time warner cable. Never used satellite. Or you can switch between providers annually. Yes, it's a few minutes of work on an annual basis, but it seems less painful than juggling an antenna, a roku box, and etc.

Just my two cents.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Thank you all for your suggestions. You have given me a lot of think about.
My Tivo Roamio and 3 minis are still sitting in a box. I plan to install them this weekend and get rid of DirecTV.

I have Synology NAS 712+ which does have a Plex package. I have roku devices which can view content from Plex Server.
Is it possible to download the content into NAS. As an example House Hunters International and many other shows are available online for streaming.
Is it possible to download them?
We don't have to watch the latest shows. So Amazon prime for last years shows will work for us.
When you purchase content from Amazon video on demand does it expire?

My wife is not technical so I am trying to make it as simple as possible to watch her shows so watching programs on IPAD, hooking up computer to TV, Airplay is not an option.

Tivo gives you 30 days to upgrade from monthly to life time subscription. I will test drive it and may spend the money to buy lifetime subscription.
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

If you don't need to see a particular program on the day it originally aired there are many available after the fact at your local library.
I've never had cable but have viewed several 'cable' shows using the library.

In addition our local library has many, and I mean many movies available for checkout for two weeks at a time or one week for the 'most wanted'.

They may be a year old but that never bothered me.

And, don't forget the ability of a Hauppauge TV card on your desktop for viewing and saving your over the air programs using an antenna.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
WarpSpeed

Post by WarpSpeed »

denovo wrote:Cable and satellite companies have promotional rates that are usually good for new customers. If you call and go to the retention department, and threaten to cancel you will get that promotional rate (in my experience). Have done this with comcast and time warner cable. Never used satellite. Or you can switch between providers annually. Yes, it's a few minutes of work on an annual basis, but it seems less painful than juggling an antenna, a roku box, and etc.
Just my two cents.
I'm a former Dish Network subscriber. I get calls from them ever 3-4 months with their latest offer to try to get me back. They usually promise they'll be able to beat my current provider on price. When I ask "Can you beat free?", the conversation ends pretty quickly. :)
Lanerious

Post by Lanerious »

Plex works two ways. You can use it to stream media that is already downloaded to your computer which is acting as a media server, OR you can use it to stream media directly from websites to your TV. To watch HGTV you would install plex, then in your account on the plex website you would install the HGTV channel. After that, when you open the HGTV channel in plex on your roku or other device you would be able to stream any content that is hosted on the HGTV site directly to your TV. The only thing you have to remember is that the PC which has the plex software installed has to be powered on in order for this to work.

TL:DR, you don't download the videos. Plex takes the video from the website for you and displays it on your TV through the roku.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Thanks for the tip on Plex Server being able to stream directly from the website.
I have a Mac Mini that is used as an ITunes server. I also have Synology 712+ so I will install Plex Media Server on one of them and use to watch shows from HGTV.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

After reading all this I've never felt so far behind the technology curve :confused
patrick

Post by patrick »

Mitchell777 wrote:After reading all this I've never felt so far behind the technology curve :confused
You may not be as far behind as you think. Whatever device -- whether PC, Mac, tablet, or smartphone -- you use to post on bogleheads is probably also capable of streaming video off Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, among other places.
Trev H

Post by Trev H »

I finally cut the cord (or Dish)... dropped Dish Network back in March.

We have a Roku 3, and a long range uni-directional (over the air) digital tv antenna + signal booster (what is needed at my location considering distance and direction to available stations)...

We get 23 channels (all the locals + lots more) on the Antenna - many at 1080 or 720 HD quality (nice) and FREE !

With the Roku (+Netflix + Hulu Plus) and all of the other stuff you can get on the Roku (lots of free channels available and they recently added Youtube)...

I may not be able to find absolutely every new (latest) version of everything.. but the entertainment options are plenty.

If I want to watch some bass fishing, or deer hunting (or insert your interest here...)... plenty of that on Youtube and it's real stuff too.

I'm happy to have cut the cord.

Trev H
sd94070

Post by sd94070 »

sscritic wrote:I don't understand the ties to a particular show. Did you watch it 10 years ago? Will you watch it 10 years from now? Was it even on 10 years ago? Will it be on 10 years ago? I used to watch Leave It to Beaver - talk about must watch, but I haven't for fifty years. We move on and tv moves on. Cutting cable just means moving a little faster.
We have Apple TV and subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. Plus we now have a roooftop HDTV antenna. And we HAD an Amazon Prime subscription before they entered the streaming video business. But with all that, we only watch a few hours of TV per week. I agree with this poster. You may want to consider a whole-scale "turn the thing off" for a few weeks or a month. TV is pretty much a brain cell killer. That said, by ridding yourself of the drivel on cable news shows, regardless of your political affinity, you'll be taking a great first step.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I find the free offerings on Hulu more than adequate. The only thing is sometimes if I go more than four weeks without watching any TV, I find that I can't go back to the next episode in the series without subscribing to Hulu Plus.

The only things I miss are tennis games, which as far as I know aren't really available without cable subscriptions.
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

It has been a month since we cut the cable.
My wife did complain about where all the channels go?
I brought up saving $100 per month.
I used Airplay to show her House Hunters International
We use Tivo daily to watch some shows we are recording.
We use Hulu plus a few times so still debating if I should keep it.
My kids watch kids shows from Netflix a few times a week.
We still have Amazon prime for shipping and streaming benefits
We liked Tivo so much that we have upgraded to life time subscription for Tivo Roamio and 3 Tivo minis.

It has been great to get rid of DirecTV.