Parking options in Downtown Chicago

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sys83

Parking options in Downtown Chicago

Post by sys83 »

I am staying downtown Chicago near the loop with family (1 or 2 cars) on the July 4th weekend. What options do I have for parking other than the millennium garage which runs about $40 for 24 hours?
PodDoc

Re: Parking options in Downtown Chicago

Post by PodDoc »

I use Parkwhiz whenever I park downtown. It usually isn't overnight or for an entire weekend, but it's always cheaper than the listed rates. You could also call a nearby restaurant with valet and ask for their prices.
PodDoc
carorun

Post by carorun »

Where "near the loop"? I'll assume River North due to hotel density. I see a lot of $20/day parking if you are in by 9am. Parking also tends to be slightly cheaper if you move north or west. So, if you park west of the river near the train stations or north towards Division, you could score parking for $10-20 day. There's also the option of leaving your car at an El or Metra stop near the city limits. I don't really encourage this without knowing Chicago though. For example, I live near Wrigley, and permit parking is only in effect during games, so you could park there undisturbed. But, if you don't know the streets or read the signs, your car will be ticketed (~$200) or towed.

Google Chicago loop and river north weekend parking, there have to be some specials. The millenium garages are a ripoff.
aude

Post by aude »

Try parkwhiz or spothero. If you will not need the car all weekend a cheap option is to park in the CTA garage at Cumberland and take the blue line train downtown.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

vachica wrote: There's also the option of leaving your car at an El or Metra stop near the city limits. I don't really encourage this without knowing Chicago though.
This is what I always do. OP, which direction are you coming from?
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Where are you staying? We stay at the W on July 4th (in the past) and do not use valet parking. There are garages a couple of blocks away which are "reasonable".

Enjoy the fireworks.

Ed
Imdeng

Post by Imdeng »

This is what I do when I go to Chicago. I use the Rosemont lot - but that does not allow overnight parking I believe. So Cumberland is a good alternative. Obviously, if you need your car during your stay in Chicago then this does not work.
aude wrote:Try parkwhiz or spothero. If you will not need the car all weekend a cheap option is to park in the CTA garage at Cumberland and take the blue line train downtown.