New PC - Buy Office or use free alternatives

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

New PC - Buy Office or use free alternatives

Post by carolinaman »

I purchased a new 3in1 Dell PC this past weekend. It has Windows 8 (ouch!), a very nice 23 inch HD monitor and other features. I have used MS Office for 20+ years and it is on my laptop PC. I was offered 2 options for Office: $6.99 per month for Office 365 (in essence rent it forever) or buy permanent license for $219 (price includes Outlook). I did not buy then but need to decide whether or not to buy Office or go with another Office like product that has compatible file sharing.

I am one of those users who typically uses 10 to 20% of feature/function of Office apps. I regularly use Word and Excel and Outlook is my primary email system. However, I have Google Apps and have dabbled with that. I do use Gmail some and my email flows into Outlook from my Time Warner account which also has my primary inbound email. I do share files with others but I am retired, so no longer do this on a volume basis. Also, I still use IE browser but use Chrome most often.

My question is what have others done in this situation? I do not mind spending the extra $219 but am thinking this might be a good time to be weaned off of Office. The best alternatives seem to be Google Apps (they already know too much about me) or Libreoffice. What are your thoughts about alternatives to Office and the difficulty in switching? My major consideration is the ability to share files. Thanks for your feedback.

Editorial Note: I was amazed at the lack of documentation for an entirely new OS - Windows 8. There is limited documentation on Microsoft site. Dell has a PC User manual that is a pdf download for their PC but I could not get that to download. I did buy Best Buy's GeekSquad 24x7 support for one year at cost of $99 (includes 1 year of security software). I had a question about my setup, called Best Buy and was put in chat queue for a tier 3 expert yesterday. He put me on hold and never came back to me. I terminated chat after 4.5 hours. In meantime I called Dell and got my problem solved. I finally went to Barnes and Noble and bought Windows 8.1 for Dummies. I am fairly technically proficient but need a little documentation with an entirely new OS and new PC. Maybe this is why people pay double the price for Apple products - they are easy to use, they work and you get much better support.
jebmke

Re: New PC - Buy Office or use free alternatives

Post by jebmke »

I have been porting most of my "Office" type work to Google Docs. Libre Office is my local app of choice. I rarely have anything complicated enough to need the local app.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
2retire

Post by 2retire »

If you only use 10-20% of Office features, you can probably survive using Google Docs. However, I'd probably still buy Outlook as a standalone app and use that for my email.

One thing to keep in mind though, if you do decide to go with Google Docs, is that they will be scanning and indexing all of the documents you create. I personally wouldn't put anything online that I didn't care for the world to see. I do keep some spreadsheets online, but anything pertaining to my finances, is kept directly in Excel spreadsheets on my local PC. If I do put sensitive information online, nothing in the sheets gets labeled. It is just a raw jumble of numbers and formulas. I have to remember what each cell contains and why. This would make it much more difficult for someone to figure out what the sheet is for.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

The less frequently you share documents with others, the less you need MS Office. But the more you use free alternatives, the greater the chance that a sharing effort will go wrong down the line. You have to do the tradeoff analysis. You anticipate some sharing of documents. Are these likely to be plain-vanilla, sentence-and-paragraph documents, or more intricate ones with tables, footnotes, graphics, style sheets etc? If they are almost all plain vanilla, you won't have problems. Even with the more intricate documents, they will port back and forth fine most of the time, just not 100%.

Google apps work very well if you can live with the only-on-line requirement.

Outlook is another matter. There's no collaborative benefit to using Outlook; the only benefit is not having to learn a new system. You have time, so pick a free alternative and use it. Before too long you'll be comfortable with it.
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

Have you considered taking the MS Office you own off of your laptop and loading it onto the new PC?

Last year I replaced a desktop running Windows 98 with a new computer running Windows 7. Has no problems reloading MS Office 2000 onto the new purchase.

If for no other reason than just being comfortable using what I had and like you seldom use all the features of the newer software available from Microsoft.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
tractorguy

Post by tractorguy »

I was in your situation 3 years ago. I switched to LibreOffice for all on my non-email activities and Google's web interface for e-mail. I haven't had any reason to switch back.

My Windows 7 laptop came pre-installed with the de-featured version of Office (I think its called the "starter" edition) I found it didn't have some features that I used in Excel and wouldn't display some of my old excel spreadsheets properly. I have had zero problems with compatibility with LibreOffice. LibreOffice has an option to save things in Microsoft compatible format. The few times I've had to send something to an Office user that has worked fine for me.

I was using Outlook until I bought the laptop. The free replacement I installed for it was Thunderbird (also an open office application from Mozilla). After setting it up, I've found I don't use it. I have migrated to using Google's web interface for all of my e-mail. The biggest two paradigm shifts I've had to make are:
1) I hardly ever tag or file anything. Everything except junk mail gets archived after I read it. Google's search function lets me find e-mails much, much faster than my old filing system ever did.
2) E-mails are in conversation strings. You have to be careful that you don't delete a whole conversation when you only want to clean up one or two e-mails in the string.

I still keep Thunderbird on my laptop as a way to access the 10 years of e-mail that I have stored before I migrated to Google.

I've played around a bit with Google's office suite but frankly don't see the point. There aren't any unique features that would drive me to use it and I prefer to have my documents stored locally. They load faster and are available even when I'm not connected (occasionally happens). If I want to share something, I just put it on Google drive.
Lorne
Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys »

Purchased new Dell laptop 8.1 OS 6 weeks ago. I am no good at this computer stuff. Tried to load Office 2003 and Cannon Printer 3 years old that I had DVD for. Would not work. Under warranty I called Dell tech support and the tech from India installed office 2003 and my Cannon printer. Even burned a new DVD for my Cannon printer. I have counseled with 9 tech's for 9.5 hours from India. If I did not have the excellent tech support from Dell the computer would have gone back to Dell the first week for a full refund. These tech people in India are absolutely fantastic.
Good Day | GP
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I use Open Office. Even for my consulting business, I have been able to export to Word, Excel, PowerPoint formats and share with my clients with no difficulties.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I think Outlook is unnecessary - there are perfectly OK alternatives like Thunderbird (which I use). However if you are going to do things like generate a resume to send to recruiters or use or create spreadsheets with custom macros you are kind of stuck with Word and Excel.

However there is no reason you need to spend $200 unless you are using the product in a business environment. There are versions of Office in the $100 or so range that include Word and Excel.

For example Amazon sells a keycard for the Home and Student 2010 and 2013 versions for $100 or so.
twindad57

Post by twindad57 »

You might check to see if your employer offers discounted purchasing of MS Office. Many employers, including the federal government, have agreements with Microsoft enabling employees to purchase their products for use at home at a steep discount. I am a government employee, and recently received an email from our IT staff with an offer to purchase Microsoft Office Professional for $9.95.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I like Libre Office.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
northernisland

Post by northernisland »

We have multiple desktops and laptops. What I do is I have a copy of Office 2007 and another of 2010 that's home and student. I bought each for $70-$100 and each can go on 3 computers. If I decommission a computer I deactive office and activate it on its replacement.

I've also used LibreOffice and like it. There's a way to set it to default to .doc or .docx or whatever other format you want. In this case you' shouldn't have any trouble. Still, I find Office easier to use, especially since I do ppt a lot and libreoffice's designs to my eye don't look as nice and seem to display strange in ppt.

Hope this helps!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I hardly ever send DOC files to anybody. I export to PDF. Anyone can read and print PDF files without problem. Also, they can't be edited by the recipient (under normal circumstances) so your words will not get twisted. I keep the master copy in its native format for my purposes.

I am annoyed when someone sends me a DOC file from a 15-year-old version of Word or WordPerfect, or even a WPS file, and expects me to be able to deal with it. Truth be told, I almost always can but it sometimes takes a bit to decipher just what they sent or deal with some ancient and obscure feature or bug in the file. Recently I got an old DOC file that was completely strike-through. I also just got a document where the font sizes were somewhat random throughout.

What often happens is that I am just one of several people on copy and I get included in a back and forth set of emails while others try to figure things out. ("Can you open the document?" "Did you try XXX?" "Didn't work." "OK I''ll send it again perhaps it got corrupted." etc. etc.) If this goes on for more than a bit I usually create and send a PDF file.

Almost any document you are not collaborating on (multiple authors, annotators) should be sent as a read-only file. Currently, PDF is the only such format that is near universal. It's format is an open standard that anyone can implement without fees, complex legal agreements or licensing. Almost every application can, and does, support it. Even if you have an application that doesn't support it you can install a printer driver that "prints" anything printable as a PDF file.

Note that most (all, as far as I can tell) financial institutions send statements and reports as PDF, not in an editable format. Otherwise you would be able to show them a very convincing forgery, giving yourself a nice large balance! ("What?! You telling me Vanguard lost track of that $100K I put into VTSAX last month? Here is the confirmation to prove it!")
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

There are several free PDF editors out there and you can also buy the real version from Adobe if you want to breakdown or edit a .pdf file. It might be a little tougher if the file is "locked" by the creator but nothing is impossible.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

I have used most MS Office alternatives and I can say that Libre Office and Open Office are both superb, with Libre Office being slightly more user friendly. Google Docs is great for simple word processing and excellent for sharing, but doesn't operate in the same docs-on-computer-edit-in-program mindset as MS Office. You would need to be comfortable with using cloud storage and having an internet connection at all times unlike Libre Office which operates pretty much exactly the same as MS Office. Either way, don't spend the money on MS Office - alternatives are very useful. And use Thunderbird for your mail needs, Outlook is terrible. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

pshonore wrote:There are several free PDF editors out there and you can also buy the real version from Adobe if you want to breakdown or edit a .pdf file. It might be a little tougher if the file is "locked" by the creator but nothing is impossible.
You are right. Nothing is impossible. That's why I added "under normal circumstances." Maybe "typical" would have been a better word choice.

In any case it is much simpler than sending someone a native document. "Native" isn't the same in every "ecosystem!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

I recommend the free OpenOffice and zamzar.com for occasional file conversion. And I don't want any Microsoft products on my Mac.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Libre. Google stumbles.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Parthenon wrote:Have you considered taking the MS Office you own off of your laptop and loading it onto the new PC?

Last year I replaced a desktop running Windows 98 with a new computer running Windows 7. Has no problems reloading MS Office 2000 onto the new purchase.

If for no other reason than just being comfortable using what I had and like you seldom use all the features of the newer software available from Microsoft.

Ed

Good suggestion! Thanks. I thought license was not transferable but I checked license and it is transferable. Thus, I will reassign Office 2010 to my new PC and use one of the suggested alternatives on my laptop. Nice to able to keep using what I am used to most of the time.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback. You provided some good information. Nothing like hearing from the voice of experience.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I use Google Docs for documents and spreadsheets, and Gmail for email. I use a Chromebook most of the time, so am pretty much in the cloud. Only thing I still use a PC for is TurboTax.

Google docs provides sharing and collaboration, and I don't miss anything about Outlook for email (which I used at work before I retired), so unless you need the extra features in Office and similar programs, you might try just getting by without Office for awhile and see how it goes.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Does your employer offer a reduced corporate price for employees? I bought my Office 2010 for like $25 bucks last year through the Microsoft Home Use Progrom (or something like that).
lululu

Post by lululu »

johnep wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Have you considered taking the MS Office you own off of your laptop and loading it onto the new PC?

Ed

Good suggestion! Thanks. I thought license was not transferable but I checked license and it is transferable. Thus, I will reassign Office 2010 to my new PC and use one of the suggested alternatives on my laptop. Nice to able to keep using what I am used to most of the time.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback. You provided some good information. Nothing like hearing from the voice of experience.
I load Office onto a new laptop when I bring one up. I don't delete it from the old one, which becomes a backup. It never occurred to me that this might be unacceptable.

I also use thunderbird for email. I particularly like the ability to customize spam filtering. I have spam filtering by my ISP turned off and do it via thunderbird, because the ISP fairly often thinks a real email is spam.

As a side note, I have used the website http://www.zamzar.com/ to convert a file when someone sends me a docx file. It claims to handle many file types.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dickenjb wrote:I use Open Office. Even for my consulting business, I have been able to export to Word, Excel, PowerPoint formats and share with my clients with no difficulties.
I use LibreOffice but I always have formatting errors when exporting to Word, Excel, or PP. Always. I've just become accustomed to quickly going over the document soon after exporting to fix all the formatting. Powerpoint has been a bit more of a hassle than Word and Excel. So, it depends on what exactly you are doing and how important the formatting is to what you'd be exporting. A lot of the stuff I was doing was in an academic setting, so it didn't look too professional when I was sending documents to my students with APA formatting errors when I expected them to have none.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

I used Thunderbird for several years and recently went back to Outlook. I really like Outlook, largely because of the Calendar options. The ability to share, sync, color co-ordinate, link, and attach between calendar and e-mail, make tentative appointments and so forth is just really useful to me.

And since they use Outlook at my spouse's office, it is easy to co-ordinate work and family schedules.

I guess my point is if you are not using a lot of features of Office, maybe you should explore them a little.
Jack

Post by Jack »

sls239 wrote:I used Thunderbird for several years and recently went back to Outlook. I really like Outlook, largely because of the Calendar options. The ability to share, sync, color co-ordinate, link, and attach between calendar and e-mail, make tentative appointments and so forth is just really useful to me.

And since they use Outlook at my spouse's office, it is easy to co-ordinate work and family schedules.

I guess my point is if you are not using a lot of features of Office, maybe you should explore them a little.
You can add on the Lightning calendar application to Thunderbird to get many of the calendar features of Outlook.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/projects/calendar/
sport

Post by sport »

I had the same problem a few years ago. The computer came with "works for windows". That provides an acceptable spreadsheet and a usable word processor. I use Thunderbird instead of Outlook. Everything works.
Jeff
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

I purchased Office for 9.95 through my employer. under Microsoft HUP. For $10 no way I'm going even bother trying anything open source or god forbid use google docs.
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

Libre Office has the same functionality for a typical user, and compatibility with the MS file types, however this compatibility is not always perfect with respect to formatting. If you need it for work, especially if you have to transfer documents you produce to colleagues, then I would buy MS Office if that is what others use. If it's only for home use I would use Libre Office. $220 is too much to pay for a barely different product.

There are also open source alternatives to Outlook, like Thunderbird.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I only use google docs for minor file sharing with my siblings. Nothing too personal.

I use iWork with my Mac, but not the online version.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm still using Office 2003 on a W7 laptop. Does anyone have hands on experience as to whether it will run on Windows 10?

MS says it's "not compatible"; several online blogs say in "may" run in compatibility mode; one user on a blog claims it runs fine as is.

Anyone running W10 and Office 2003?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Libre/Open Office has worked ok for me as well. I've found I've done less and less docs and spreadsheet these days anyway.

Never used Outlook. Once Yahoo, and now Google have gone webmail, I gave up the local features for anywhere access. Then came smartphones, and the inclusion was transparent. If you use outlook server, you can always use web interface and Outlook App on iOS/andoid is quite good and free. http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ios-ap ... s-3611212/ (Outlook isn't homegrown, but they rebadged an acquisition, Acompli)

I've also tried the gmail save everything mentality and search for it, but now it's more moderated. It might take you a while, but after archiving over 100,000 mails, I've come to realize there reaches a point where deleting some mails is helpful. Advertising doesn't need to be saved. Reminders and notifications don't need to be saved. Saving everything led to too much clutter when searching.

For documents, I've tried local storage, Dropbox, Google Apps and others (Microsoft 360). I haven't decided on any one in particular, but I do want more cloud based anywhere access. I'm not excited about permanent subscription fees and potential for loss of privacy (indexing, hacks, etc.), so haven't settled on any one particular mode, but I'm moving more and more stuff online, except for the most critical/private.
BogleBooger

Post by BogleBooger »

heartwood wrote:I'm still using Office 2003 on a W7 laptop. Does anyone have hands on experience as to whether it will run on Windows 10?

MS says it's "not compatible"; several online blogs say in "may" run in compatibility mode; one user on a blog claims it runs fine as is.

Anyone running W10 and Office 2003?
Office 2013 works for me. People are saying that 2003 works as well.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... f26?auth=1
magellan

Post by magellan »

hiddensee wrote:If it's only for home use I would use Libre Office. $220 is too much to pay for a barely different product.
I'm a big fan of Libre Office for light users. However, Office Home and Student 2013 can be purchased for around $100-$120 on Amazon and Ebay.

Also, you can get a free 120-day trial of Office 2016 at this link:
https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview

You'll have to purchase it or uninstall it once Office 2016 is officially released this fall. In the meantime, the preview version seems relatively stable and might make for a decent stopgap.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Go Google office. For sure. I went off MS Office a few years back, and haven't looked back. It has been a fantastic transition and only gets better. I am sure that MS Office will become better at sharing and other Gdocs features as time goes on, but Gdocs is already great.

Here's why:
- FREE. And will almost certainly stay free. And this case, free doesn't mean lower quality.
- You will use most of Gdocs features. No feature bloat. Core features are front and center, and doesn't feel stripped down at all.
- Works fantastically well integrating with Gmail if you use gmail.
- Auto updates. MS Office will also have these, but you won't have to pay for future evolutionary upgrades with gdocs.
- Yes, you can still download your files in bulk to have a local copy - there's an easy option in settings to 'download all' and specify mail, docs, sheets, etc.
- Going cloud is awesome. You will be untethered to your 'home' PC and can get up and running 95%+ functionality on any computer with a net connection, instantly.

The main (only) reason to keep using MS Office is if you actually regularly use their advanced functions like advanced pivot tables in Excel, or complicated Word doc formatting. But doesn't sound like OP fits in this category, so going free is a no-brainer.

I was worried at first when I went cloud that there would be some regrets and hiccups with the cloud vs local storage transition, but that hasn't been the case at all - it's been totally smooth.

I would actually skip LibreOffice completely. It's not bad, but it's not as good as Gdocs.
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

If your work uses Office 365 you likely have 5 licenses to use for yourself.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

oakfan52 wrote:I purchased Office for 9.95 through my employer. under Microsoft HUP. For $10 no way I'm going even bother trying anything open source or god forbid use google docs.
^^^ This ! If you can get it through your employer, no need to look for any other program. :D
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

northernisland wrote:We have multiple desktops and laptops. What I do is I have a copy of Office 2007 and another of 2010 that's home and student. I bought each for $70-$100 and each can go on 3 computers.
If I decommission a computer I deactive office and activate it on its replacement.

I've also used LibreOffice and like it. There's a way to set it to default to .doc or .docx or whatever other format you want. In this case you' shouldn't have any trouble. Still, I find Office easier to use, especially since I do ppt a lot and libreoffice's designs to my eye don't look as nice and seem to display strange in ppt.

Hope this helps!
northernisland,

Could you please explain to me how you do that??

Thanks.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

Do you still have the install CD and key?
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

I've used OpenOffice for years. No problems worth speaking about.
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

If you do decide to go with Office 365 check for discounted prices on the keycodes on Amazon (and ebay if you are into taking more risk).
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

We switched about 8 months ago from Windows 7 and Vista to Linux.
With it came Libre office and I have not had to worry about incompatibilities. I have had no problems at all opening or saving-as any file.
Admittedly, I am not a power user and the most stress that I have put on the xcel equivalent was with other spreadsheets, some of which I got here, that had a few macros scattered about. Never a problem.
Re Outlook, I at first switched to Thunderbird and it was an easy switch. I have since switched to an INet mail system, Fastmail, so as to avoid ATT.NET.

The only thing that I had trouble with was running TurboTax under a Windows emulator.

I especially like not having to worry so much about virus.

I would heartily recommend that you switch.
Toons

Post by Toons »

DrippingSprings wrote:I've used OpenOffice for years. No problems worth speaking about.
+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

KlangFool wrote:
northernisland,

Thanks.

KlangFool
If you always want the file dialogs to show another format by default, choose Tools - Options - Load/Save - General and select that format as Default file format.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
northernisland,

Thanks.

KlangFool
If you always want the file dialogs to show another format by default, choose Tools - Options - Load/Save - General and select that format as Default file format.
TheGreyingDuke,

Thanks.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I was recently quoted $129 for MS Office at the local Office Depot with the purchase of the computer I was buying.

As for me, I want to be able to share files with my wife, family and friends. All the "free" products that I have tested claimed compatibility with MS Office but I have not experienced that.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Depends to some degree on the complexity of the documents. Generally speaking,the less complex the better the odds of compatibility. However, if one frequently has to share files with Office users then it may make sense to stick with Office. You really just have to try and see what works best for your specific situation versus relying on "I've never had problems" from others.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

Microsoft has a free package that works on both Windows 8 and 10 that includes an email program that I prefer over Outlook.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... essentials
Toons

Post by Toons »

jlawrence01 wrote:I was recently quoted $129 for MS Office at the local Office Depot with the purchase of the computer I was buying.

As for me, I want to be able to share files with my wife, family and friends. All the "free" products that I have tested claimed compatibility with MS Office but I have not experienced that.

Google Docs :happy
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494822?hl=en
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Toons wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:I was recently quoted $129 for MS Office at the local Office Depot with the purchase of the computer I was buying.

Google Docs :happy
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494822?hl=en

It has neither the functionality or the compatibility that I need for a spreadsheet program. I share too many documents with people. And yes, I have tried Google Docs and Libre Office. No thanks.