Big Sky, Montana

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dr.j

Big Sky, Montana

Post by dr.j »

Going to Big Sky and Bozeman, MT in July for a conference. I hear that it is beautiful in the summer.

Taking my family which includes two kids (boy, age 4; girl, age 9).

Any suggestions on particular family activities?

Any suggestions on visiting Yellowstone? Any "must-see" places (except for Old Faithful)?
tony44

Re: Big Sky, Montana

Post by tony44 »

Was there a few years back. Anywhere you go is an outdoor wonderland. The drive from Bozeman to Yellowstone is awesome. We were stuck for a half hour on the road into Yellowstone just waiting for a herd of Bison to cross the road! I suggest getting a local hiking guide and taking advantage of whats free there...the great outdoors.
tony44

Post by tony44 »

Also, the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman has some of the best dinosaur remains anywhere. Your kids should really like that.
mhc

Post by mhc »

In Bozeman, go to the Museum of the Rockies at the University. It is great. Make sure you walk through the small living history farm.

Yellowstone is close and is a great choice. I think it is the most amazing natural area I've seen. The must sees in my book are:
Old Faithful and the boardwalk to the gysers
Yellowstone canyon
Grand Prismatic Spring
Everything there is great.

If possible, book your hotel for Yellowstone now and stay as long as you can.

Teton NP is on the southside of Yellowstone. It is worth a visit also.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
MrBrainwash

Post by MrBrainwash »

Go to Glacier National Park if you can. It isn't that close to Bozeman (Google Maps says 5 hour drive), but it isn't that close to anything, so I doubt you'll be closer in the future. It is an incredible park, and extremely under-recognized. If I had to choose between going back to Yellowstone and going to Glacier, I'd go to Glacier.

Stay at the Many Glacier Hotel if you can. It's got the most scenic location I've ever seen.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

MrBrainwash wrote:Go to Glacier National Park if you can. It isn't that close to Bozeman (Google Maps says 5 hour drive), but it isn't that close to anything, so I doubt you'll be closer in the future. It is an incredible park, and extremely under-recognized. If I had to choose between going back to Yellowstone and going to Glacier, I'd go to Glacier.

Stay at the Many Glacier Hotel if you can. It's got the most scenic location I've ever seen.
+1. Glacier NP and Many Glacier Hotel were great. We were there 5 years ago. Do both Yellowstone and Glacier both if you can.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Grand Teton NP and Glacier NP are two great recommendations. Yellowstone NP is good also, although I am not sure how the kids would react to some of the smells they incur in the sulfur springs. I was there for the first time in 1952 as a fifteen year-old and disliked it. Have been back once since and endured it, but liked the other two NPs better.

If you have to extend your stay out west it would be well worth the time and effort.
Tom D.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Agree with recommendations for Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP and Glacier NP. The Going to the Sun Road that goes through Glacier NP will be open in July and it is one of the most spectacular drives in the country. It is only open for 3 months a year starting in mid/late June. Not to be missed.
Wiki
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

DSInvestor wrote:Agree with recommendations for Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP and Glacier NP. The Going to the Sun Road that goes through Glacier NP will be open in July and it is one of the most spectacular drives in the country. It is only open for 3 months a year starting in mid/late June. Not to be missed.
Just beware of forest fire season. Last time we went to Glacier, the fires (outside the park) were quite large and the wind carried the smoke through to really block out much of the scenery on GTS road. It's not typically something you can pre-plan around, but worth watching the local news for while you are in the area.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Smokejumpers School & Museum, in Missoula.

My young, well-traveled nephews thought this was the absolute coolest place in the world. They actually talked with people who jump out of airplanes into fires, and they were enamored at the equipment.
PS241

Post by PS241 »

We were there with family 2 summers ago, it's a beautiful area. Yellowstone is amazing, but one of my favorite things was a hike called Beehive Basin. I believe you just continue up the mountain road a ways to find it.

Here is a link: http://www.scout.me/beehive-basin-big-s ... t/e-488684

The hike would probably be tough for a 4 year old, but I think a 9 year old could reasonably do it. I vaguely remember other small children going up it. The hike criss-crosses a creek on the way up and then at the top there is a basin with a beautiful little pond. The pictures in that link do not do it justice at all.

There is also a nice little hike called called Ousel falls that we enjoyed with the kids. This one a 4 year old could do pretty easily.

http://www.scout.me/ousel-falls--near-- ... t/e-136370

Now i really want to go back!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Flobes wrote:Smokejumpers School & Museum, in Missoula.

My young, well-traveled nephews thought this was the absolute coolest place in the world. They actually talked with people who jump out of airplanes into fires, and they were enamored at the equipment.
Agree with this.

Other "off the beaten track" attractions:

Charles Russell's Art Studio and Museum in Great Falls, MT

Old State Prison Museum in Deerlodge, MT

============================================

Also, near Yellowstone NP, the Buffalo Bill Historical Center is one of the finest museums in the West. It has a fine collection of Buffalo Bill artifacts, Remington and Russell art works and an impressive collection of historical weapons.

Hope that helps.