Visiting Minnesota Suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
armeliusc

Visiting Minnesota Suggestions?

Post by armeliusc »

I have a chance to go to Minnesota in June for a business trip and decided to extend it with some vacation there with DW. We love to visit natural places, nat'l parks and the likes, but would also like to see some what Minneapolis has to offer. I'd appreciate any good suggestions from folks here for the must-sees.

Thank you,
AC
Andyrunner

Re: Visiting Minnesota Suggestions?

Post by Andyrunner »

If you like corn....go south, all else go north.

Duluth area is an amazing area. I would suggest take a two day trip and go north of Duluth to Grand Marais. The Superior Lake shore line is littered with state parks and the superior hiking trail.

Split Rock state park, Gooseberry, Tettegouche are all amazing. Waterfalls in June should be awsome.

If you end up going to Grand Marais go to the Angry Trout Cafe. Everything is local (even the tables and chairs are made by a local woodworker)
Last edited by Andyrunner on Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Minneapolis is a great town with parks and a unique sculpture garden with the iconic cherry on a spoon sculpture. There is a pedestrian mall. I would plan to spend some time downtown Minneapolis.

Don't know too much beyond that, for years I flew to MSP, jumped in a rental car and drove to St Paul to call on 3M, then back to airport. I did not know what I was missing until my younger son attended Volleyball Nationals in downtown Minneapolis. A great city.
BL

Post by BL »

Take a look at http://www.exploreminnesota.com/index.aspx and order their brochure.

Depending on what you are interested in, you can find it here. Foreigners like to see the source of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca. You can walk across it there. Take mosquito spray if heading into the wilderness "up north". Howl at wolves at Ely.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Historically speaking, you do know it's snowed in June before.

Basically, if you haven't gone to the BWCA (boundary waters canoe area, then you haven't seen MN. Trivia: It is the only wilderness in the country that has an airspace reservation that prohibits flights below 4,000 feet. Haven't used this place but you can get an idea. http://www.canoeingminnesota.com

Anyway, I recommend canoing someplace!

As for Mpls. Go to hells Kichen ttp://www.hellskitcheninc.com and have the
11.95 Minnesota Icon: Lemon-Ricotta Hotcakes. The Walleye BLT might be pretty good too.
The live music was Folksy and Charming. (might only be available for weekend brunch)

Above it is the Angel Food Bakery. Go for a look. It's interesting.

I was back in town for a few days after having moved overseas for just about forever now and my family insisted I go have the lemon ricotta hot cakes. We couldn't get reservations for the whole family so my sister and her kids took me. Would have been nice to spend more time with everyone but ... damn they were right ... those hot cakes were worth the time. Side of sausages were spicy.

There are some ok places at the Mall of America which is convenient to the airport.

The BWCA might be far and too long a outing but I would try to get some canoeing in. Do the BWCA if you can though.

Like I say Hells Kitchen should be on your list. We went with a two year old and there were quite a few families. Don't let the theme scare you.
Last edited by in_reality on Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NateH

Post by NateH »

Hey dere, AC! Suggestions? Oh ya, sure, y'betcha. June is the really nice time to vising MN. The sun's up 'til 9:00 and it's light for another hour after that, don'cha'know.

Duluth is an easy 2.5-3hr drive up north from the Cities and the Lake Superior North Shore is worth it if you like to hike (the shore itself is another drive past Duluth). You will want to stay there overnight. Duluth is nothing like the twin cities, though.

Itasca is in the middle of nowhere (a.k.a Bemidji, MN)- so aside from the novelty of being the Mississippi headwaters, there's not a big payoff except for swamps and woods and mosquito bites. Unless you're looking for that sorta thing, then by all means... go off the grid in the Boundary Waters.

If you stay in town, there is no shortage of lakes for a walk or things to do outside. Keep in mind a couple million minnesotans have been stuck in winter until just very recently so we make the most of summer.

You say you want to be out in the wild, then Wm. O'Brien state park is on the MN/WI border along the beautiful St Croix river and would make a good day trip while remaining headquartered in civilization and enjoying the cities for restraunts and night life.

The website linked above is pretty good for narrowing things down.
come back if you want to ask some specific questions.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

There's plenty to see in the twin cities. Summer is full of activities and with several lakes in the city limits you can get a good taste of outdoor life in the metro area. We go to bwca every year and Duluth or various points on the Mississippi, but anything outside of the city is several hours each way. If you're going to spend 8 hours in the car, there are just as many good destinations in northern WI or the UP
dewey

Post by dewey »

Andyrunner wrote:If you like corn....go south, all else go north.

Duluth area is an amazing area. I would suggest take a two day trip and go north of Duluth to Grand Marais. The Superior Lake shore line is littered with state parks and the superior hiking trail.

Split Rock state park, Gooseberry, Tettegouche are all amazing. Waterfalls in June should be awsome.

If you end up going to Grand Marais go to the Angry Trout Cafe. Everything is local (even the tables and chairs are made by a local woodworker)
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Andyrunner wrote:If you like corn....go south,
If you go that way, you might want to check out the SPAM® Museum in Austin. :happy
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
TylerS

Post by TylerS »

If you have an extended stay, I'd second the recommendation to travel to the BWCA. I do an annual 4-5 day trip up there for camping/canoeing and it's beautiful. A true escape.

If you're staying in MPLS area, a fun activity would be to bike around a few of the lakes in/near the city. I'm partial to Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriet. A loop around all of the lakes would be about 12 miles, give or take, with a few places to stop and enjoy food/drink, or rent paddle-boards, etc. It's an easy ride - all on designated bike paths. You can rent bikes at any of the "Nice Ride" stations (I'm not sure of cost).
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

If you have time, definitely the BWCA for hiking and canoeing, but also Duluth and the Lake Superior shores. Also agree on Minneapolis bike paths, though haven't tried rental bikes. And do check out the "Explore Minnesota" link provided in an earlier post; it's all there and then some.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Topic Author
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Wow, lots of great suggestions. Thank you very much. Especially appreciate the "local foods" suggestion (we always try go get those).

We were thinking to go to Voyageur, then go across to Nanoboujou, Grand Rapais for the shore and probably visit the Isle Royale park and go back through Duluth. It seems that BWCA is a popular suggestion.

Is Voyageur worth a visit ? We're open to skip it in favor of BWCA. Less distance to drive also, it seems.
BL

Post by BL »

AFAIK, cell phones still don't work in BWCA.
ddj

Post by ddj »

+1 Duluth and North Shore suggestions.

Two Duluth restaurant favorites: Duluth Grill (recommend esp for breakfast or lunch)
Fitgers: great burgers, great beers brewed on site.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

22twain wrote:
Andyrunner wrote:If you like corn....go south,
If you go that way, you might want to check out the SPAM® Museum in Austin. :happy
My sister in law lives in Austin. The town smells like pork. My nephews love the museum though, I guess it is very well put together.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Just realized, be careful of going up north if your going during Grandmas Marathon (June 21st).

Traffic will be hell. Hotels will be full and expensive.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Andyrunner wrote:

I agree with Andy, especially if you are inclined to see more than the "Twin Cities". I'm from northern Minnesota although I've lived in Minneapolis or St. Paul for the last 40 years. I've traveled all over and the North Shore area offers the most with reasonable drive times. I would second the suggestion for Fitgers in Duluth.

For Minneapolis you might consider a "Nice Ride" bike tour of the Lakes, Minnehaha Creek, and Minnehaha Falls. I think you can get a day pass to use the Nice ride system. There are lots of great, safe bike paths with few hills. With multiple locations you can drop off your bike and pick up a new one to avoid the hourly charges. Lake of the Isles is a nice ride as are Lake Calhoon and Lake Harriet. I've had foreign visitors come to visit and they have really enjoyed the unique nature of a leisurely bike tour of the Twin Cities lakes streams and parks.

Fort Snelling is interesting. There are riverboat cruises if that is of interest. There are lots of good restaurants - the Blue Door Pub in St. Paul (also in So. MPLS) is a great place for burgers.

My family owns a cabin on the shore of Voyagers National Park (Kabetogama). That is where I grew up. You really need to rent a boat (or take a boat tour) to get much of the park feel. There are resorts on the south shore that rent boats for fishing. The uniqueness of the park is the wilderness peninsula between Kabetogama and Rainy Lakes and the many islands and bays. It will be light until almost 10:00 pm up there. The National Park Service might have some boat tours. They also have row boats and canoes stashed at a few of the lakes you can hike into. For only a day - it is a long run and a lot of logistics. June is the prime walleye fishing season so most resorts will be at or near capacity. Honestly, Voyagers is 100 mile plus from anywhere. Except home, of course. :D

For the BWCA, the easiest way to experience it is by renting a canoe and exploring. I'm more familiar with the North Shore entrance points than the Ely entrance. Sawbill Lake outfitters would be my choice. You can canoe Sawbill lake and take a short portage to canoe a couple of other lakes. If Sawbill has canoes available, the logistics of doing this are easier than the Voyagers option. No need to haul a canoe on top of your car. The BWCA would let you concentrate more on the North Shore. For either the BWCA or Voyagers you can expect mosquitoes during June. If near running water, black flies can also be a problem.

If Isle Royale is on your list, I would skip Itasca (nice but out of the way), Voyagers, and Grand Rapids and concentrate on the North Shore. Shovel Point, just north of Siver Bay is a nice hike with good views of Lake Superior (allow about an hour). There are nice short hikes in Tettegouche and near Goosberry. Allow for some time to search for agates on a couple remote beaches (rock beaches, not sand beaches).

Feel free to PM me with questions.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above, we have so many state park in every corner of the state you could not see them all in one summer really.

The north shore provides a lot of nature, beauty and history as many have noted already. I'm not going to list the outdoor locations as many have done that already.

The maritime museum is fun, free and interesting.
http://www.lsmma.com/

The railroad museum
http://www.lsrm.org/Home/index.html

The Soudan Mine may be little to far of a drive.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ ... index.html

I see you also were asking about Minneapolis, lots to choose from, some of the more unique places:

Mill City
http://www.millcitymuseum.org/

James J Hill House, not in Mpls but St. Paul. Most Bogleheads would enjoy this.
http://sites.mnhs.org/historic-sites/james-j-hill-house

Bakken Museum
http://www.thebakken.org/

Minnesota History Center
http://www.minnesotahistorycenter.org/

Can't forget the Science Museum
http://www.smm.org/

If you like cheese take an hour and head to Cady Cheese in Wisconsin. Its in the middle of a corn field.
http://www.cadycheese.com/

If you make it to Cady, take the back roads to Ellsworth Creamery thru the bluffs then back to Mpls.
http://www.ellsworthcheesecurds.com/
Just get their after 11:00, that's when the hot fresh curds come out!!!

Head south to see corn, north to the woods/lakes, east to the river bluffs or west for some more lakes/farms and less woods.

It will be the start of misquote time so long hikes in the woods can be a challenge, more so up north with all the water.

Have fun and enjoy.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

You might help us by refining the city/cities you will be visiting. "Going to Minnesota" is not too different from "Going to Texas".

I would guess you will be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Bring your coat/hat/gloves. It can be chilly this time of year.

Go to a Twins baseball game at Target Field if you get a chance. The "new" stadium is very nice. Great food and beverages.

There are about 12,000 lakes to visit as well.

Otherwise, a lot of good suggestions above depending on where you are.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Almost forgot, lots of good craft beers to be found :sharebeer
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

A bit far away, but it is quite impressive: Devil's Kettle.

The collections at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (http://new.artsmia.org/) are lovely (and free, except their special exhibits).

Also, a bit far away, the Soudan underground mine
If you like corn....go south
South-west I'd say.
Topic Author
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. There are certainly way more then what we can do in a week. Based on these suggestions we decided to stay for several days in the North Short areas to explore the trails / parks, and then do a day or two canoeing trip in the BWCA. We can then make stops at Duluth on the way to / from Minneapolis. We'll spend some time in downtown then during our stay there; not a lot of time I know, but we are really looking forward to see the nature around North Shore & BWCA.
All of the suggestions certainly provided a lot more input than what we could've probably gathered ourselves just by random browsings. So thanks again!
NateH

Post by NateH »

bloom2708 wrote:You might help us by refining the city/cities you will be visiting. "Going to Minnesota" is not too different from "Going to Texas".

I would guess you will be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Bring your coat/hat/gloves. It can be chilly this time of year.

Go to a Twins baseball game at Target Field if you get a chance. The "new" stadium is very nice. Great food and beverages.

There are about 12,000 lakes to visit as well.

Otherwise, a lot of good suggestions above depending on where you are.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

armeliusc wrote:Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. There are certainly way more then what we can do in a week. Based on these suggestions we decided to stay for several days in the North Short areas to explore the trails / parks, and then do a day or two canoeing trip in the BWCA. We can then make stops at Duluth on the way to / from Minneapolis. We'll spend some time in downtown then during our stay there; not a lot of time I know, but we are really looking forward to see the nature around North Shore & BWCA.
All of the suggestions certainly provided a lot more input than what we could've probably gathered ourselves just by random browsings. So thanks again!
Might want to look into the permits for a canoe trip. I think they only give out a limited number per day.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Andyrunner wrote:
armeliusc wrote:Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. There are certainly way more then what we can do in a week. Based on these suggestions we decided to stay for several days in the North Short areas to explore the trails / parks, and then do a day or two canoeing trip in the BWCA. We can then make stops at Duluth on the way to / from Minneapolis. We'll spend some time in downtown then during our stay there; not a lot of time I know, but we are really looking forward to see the nature around North Shore & BWCA.
Might want to look into the permits for a canoe trip. I think they only give out a limited number per day.
Yes. Waste no time checking this out. Very possibly everything is taken already, but I am not intimately familiar with the details. There could be a difference between canoeing somewhere for a day and back and needing a permit to camp overnight. BWCA is a wilderness experience that take some preparation.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Another option for something to see if you are in Duluth is to travel over to the Apostle Islands - by car a little under 2 hours. If you like to kayak, great opportunity to enjoy all the sea caves (I was told by locals that in the winter you can hike out there and the ice is spectacular). Plus there are parks and nice trails around there.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Random Musings wrote:(I was told by locals that in the winter you can hike out there and the ice is spectacular). Plus there are parks and nice trails around there.

RM
Ok we are talking June right so forget about that ice thing....oh wait there might be some this year!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/05/03/n ... e-in-june/
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

dbr wrote:
Yes. Waste no time checking this out. Very possibly everything is taken already, but I am not intimately familiar with the details. There could be a difference between canoeing somewhere for a day and back and needing a permit to camp overnight. BWCA is a wilderness experience that take some preparation.
dbr is correct.

Overnight stays require a reservation and a permit (they used to require an orientation session as well - I don't know if they still do). The number of parties allowed per day per entry point is controlled to spread groups out and maintain a wilderness experience.
For some popular entry points it may be already too late to get your day of choice in June. Day use permits (no overnight) are a good option if one's timing is uncertain, especially if there is a campground near the entry point. Of course these campgrounds also fill up fast. Certainly don't try to get to a premier campground on a Friday of Saturday in June - August and expect to find an open campsite.
James2

Post by James2 »

If you are in Duluth, I also like the Richard Bong veteran center just over in Superior Wisconsin. A nice small museum.

http://www.bvhcenter.org

James
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

BWCA is amazing. Permit needed. Isle Royale is on my wish list.

Stillwater is a short drive from St Paul and has a beautiful small town view with walk along the river.

Mall of America does not need to be visited.

Look into Nice Ride when in twin cities for biking.

Welcome!!!
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Don't forget the state bird:the mosquito. Spent a week around Sawbill Lake in the BWCA, and they did not forget me. I don't know if I would recommend doing it alone though. The solitude is great, but not so much if you get into trouble.
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

If you are in the Eden Prairie area, you need to go to the Lion's Tap. One of the best burgers I've ever had. Always voted best burger in the twin cities.
Topic Author
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Peter Foley wrote:
dbr wrote:
Andyrunner wrote:
armeliusc wrote:Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. ... do a day or two canoeing trip in the BWCA. !
Yes. Waste no time checking this out. Very possibly everything is taken already, but I am not intimately familiar with the details.
dbr is correct.
Overnight stays require a reservation and a permit ... For some popular entry points it may be already too late to get your day of choice in June. Day use permits (no overnight) are a good option if one's timing is uncertain, especially if there is a campground near the entry point.
Thanks. We did check with Sawbill outfitter and since we're just going to do a day trip and back, according to them "Day-use permits are required, but are free, unlimited, and self issued at the entry points."
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

If you're going to stay overnight in DT Minneapolis at the start or end of your trip, you can save a bit by transferring to downtown via the Blue Line and renting a car at one of the downtown agencies. The train is directly connected to the airport terminal, and it's about a 1/2 hour trip to downtown.

If you want a suburban hotel, Bloomington offers the largest range of choices. All of the hotels there will have airport shuttles.

Twin Cities has a huge range of great small restaurants. PM me with your preferences and I will send you a list.

Other things to see in Twin Cities:

Bakken Museum
MN Museum of Russian Art
Walker Art Center (avoid June 21/2, music festival there)
Not unusual to have 20 venues with live music on many nights of the week
Lots of theater choices
St. Paul -- quieter than Mpls -- State Capitol, Hill House, Hill Library
Both cities have river boat tours

Minneapolis to Duluth will be about 2.5 hours without traffic at 70mph. MN 61 from Duluth to Tofte will take you close to 2 hours, slower on weekends as it's mostly two lane road with 55mph speed limit. This is one of the last sections of highway constructed in the state; it wasn't paved until just before WWII. Cathy Wurzer's blog will give you a sense of what it is like.

The Tofte/Lutsen area will have a wide choice of accommodations, as it's a ski resort area.

Many people stop at Tobies in Hinckley on the way up as a break, and grab something from the bakery.

If I'm not in a hurry, I take MN 23 from Sandstone to Duluth, rather than the freeway. Takes a bit longer but much more relaxing drive through the forest.

Parks and hiking on the North Shore are outstanding. Temperature during the summer in that area ranges generally from 50 to 80 degrees, sometimes within an hour. The lake makes its own weather.

Other good Duluth restaurants:

Pizza Luce -- unusual, interesting pizzas. Also locations in Twin Cities.
Valentini's -- nicely done Italian

Duluth things to do

Canal Park -- Harbor Lift Bridge, William A Irvin tours -- ore boat
Glensheen -- Historic Mansion

International Wolf Center in Ely is interesting.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Go North up by Bemidji where it's easy to jump over the Mississippi. -- Tet
SailorJerry

Post by SailorJerry »

OP -- can you share with us what you ended up doing on the trip and how you liked Minnesota?
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

It's probably too late, but Minnesota also features the Sandpaper Museum: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/6563