Should I buy a fun car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snowx800

Should I buy a fun car?

Post by snowx800 »

I want to buy a used convertible.
I have been staying the course with everything. I maxing out all
Everything else is good just seem to want a summer car.
I know I don't need it we have a nice truck already. What do you guys think
Is there a time when you just say what for.
Last edited by snowx800 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
munemaker

Re: Should I buy a fun car?

Post by munemaker »

snowx800 wrote:I want to buy a used BMW or Audi convertible.
my tax deferred accounts and I'm also putting away $40,000 in taxable.
I make sure I do this every year first. I'm 46 my house will be paid off by
the time im 51. Everything else is good just seem to want a summer car.
Certainly you should buy the car since you have your other financial responsibilities in good order. If possible, I would try to pay cash and avoid financing.

Personally, I would check out the Consumer Report Auto Issue which has good detail on used cars. You can see where the problem areas are by model and year.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I am unqualified to say no as the owner of a Lotus Elise.

But I don't know that I'd go with the unreliable models you mention (note that Lotus uses Toyota powertrains).

Consider cars that have reliable track records. Miata, BRZ/FRS, 370Z, even a Civic Si will bring you fun. They'll all be less than a new Audi and will spend less time with the dealer mechanic and more time on the road with you.

If you want a car that'll hold it's value well, consider a Lotus Elise. They were brought to the US from 05-11 under waiver and with fewer than 5000 imported, will likely hold their value better than anything on the market at a reasonable price. $30 will buy you a good one.

I will note that I am a 25 year BMW CCA member and former E30 M3 owner and the former owner of an A4 and S4. These cars are like a 5% financial advisor.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Be sure to put a bumper sticker on it... "I spent my children's inheritance." :sharebeer
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I’m in a similar situation as you, but just a few years older (48). I splurged on a Mustang GT convertible a few years ago (about $33k, cash). This is in addition to my F-150 and my wife’s Toyota Highlander.

I (and my wife) love the car!

Before that, I owned BMW's for 20 years. They were all nice too.

That being said, I do have some regrets when I do the math. I’m planning on an early retirement in 4-5 years. If I would have invested the Mustang money instead, (and the additional insurance, registration, maintenance, etc), I could probably retire a year earlier.

So the real question is, is the enjoyment we get from that car worth an extra year of working? IMO, probably. YOLO, and all that…. But it’s certainly not a slam dunk.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

Absodamnlutely?
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
sambb

Post by sambb »

Yes but understand that buyers remorse can cost you. Have fun and get it out of your system
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Definitely maybe an old MGB or TD or VW Cabriolet and the Z4 is newer but looks sharp - lot out there to choose from .
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Gotta live a little!

If you got all your other finances taken care of, why not spend a little?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:$30 will buy you a good one.
$30 for a car that you can drive?

That's cheaper than 25 matchbox ones that you can't!
donall

Post by donall »

fareastwarriors wrote:Gotta live a little!

If you got all your other finances taken care of, why not spend a little?
Yes, sounds like a good idea.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I strongly believe if you have your finances in order, in proper shape for a future retirement, have your emergency fund established, then by all means please go and spend your money. You can't take it with you to the grave, and regarding the comment about spending someone's inheritance. You did not bust your butt all those years for someone else's inheritance. Leaving a legacy behind is nice, but you still MUST enjoy your own life.

About me, I bought my fun car almost 2 years ago. It was an Audi S5. I really do enjoy driving it. I do not drive it to work, I have an older daily driver. Therefor this car is used when going out, or on the track. I did have buyers remorse a couple of times, but then I look at my finances which are more than on track or actually drive the car, and it all goes away.

Enjoy your life if you can afford it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
rec7

Post by rec7 »

ubermax wrote:Definitely maybe an old MGB or TD or VW Cabriolet and the Z4 is newer but looks sharp - lot out there to choose from .
An MGB he better go to auto school to own one of those. We had a neighbor mechanic that owned one of those he even had trouble keeping it going.
Topic Author
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

Thanks for replies, I do have finances
Coming together.
Last edited by snowx800 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

snowx800 wrote:Thanks for replies, I do have finances in place now. I was behind and now it's all
Coming together. But I'm very focused now I just making sure I shouldn't
Put more away. To get where I want to be it will take putting away almost $80000
A year. I could take car money and put it toward retirement.
How about this?

Take your "fun car" cash, and place it in an ally savings account. Keep it there for 365 days. If at the end of the year you are still on track and still want the car, then reward yourself. BTW, you will also probably have more cash lying around making a drop of $35K easier to stomach.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Enjoy yourself,,,buy the car as long as your financial house is in order. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sambb

Post by sambb »

as someone who has a fun car, my daily driver is a routine imported sedan which is nothing special. It makes my fun car much more fun. However, I think financially it is not even close to worth it. If I sell today, I will lose 10k from purchase, and in the meantime the market is up 20%. Hence, there is some serious cost to this for me. Although I love the fun car (also a convertible), in the fall, when the top has to be up, i will likely have remorse watching in depreciate. However, it is fun and, like all cars, the novelty does eventually wear off.

I have mixed feelings myself, but I am glad I did buy it. I may not do this again for 15 years. But I might sell it after the summer. For me, I feel like it is getting out of my system.

Nevertheless, I live in the midwest and it snows here. I might feel different in california
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Go for it! Nobody ever said on their deathbed " I wish I had spent more time at the office and not bought a sports car".

To be a real Boglehead; buy a Mazda Miata; fun,low cost and dependable so you don't need a mechanic, just like a Vanguard Index Fund: fun, low cost, dependable so you don't need a Financial Advisor......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
Topic Author
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

I'm looking at a convertible
Last edited by snowx800 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

If you were into motorcycles, the fun vehicle decision would be a whole lot easier and cheaper. :D

I got one of these with under 6,000 miles on it used for $5,900 bucks. 120 horsepower in a 700 pound package. You do the power to weight ratio math for a 3,000# car :sharebeer

obgraham

Post by obgraham »

It's all a matter of frequency. Buy the fancy car once -- why not? Continue to buy another one every 3 years -- path to financial ruin.

As a mentor once told me: only one fancy car and only one wife, and you'll be set for life!
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

if u want it just for the summer, don't buy.
rent it!
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
Topic Author
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

Wife won't let me have a motorcycle.
It would save me a bundle.
Rondo

Post by Rondo »

Do it! I bought an '07 BMW Z4 about 3 years ago. I have never regretted it. Z4's can be had on the cheap with low mileage as they are typically a 3rd vehicle in a family used on weekends and summer time. Mine only gets about 2,000 miles on it per year. Once a year maintenance and inspection is all it needs. I did put a battery and brakes on it last year as well. The car has not been a money pit and it's light, quick and fun to drive.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

gwrvmd wrote:Go for it! Nobody ever said on their deathbed " I wish I had spent more time at the office and not bought a sports car".
Well, some might have said, "I wish I had spent LESS time at the office, and not bought a sports car".

That's the real trade off, and the source of the buyer's remorse thing.

But you never know until you try!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

YOLO. If you can pay in cash then go for it. Sounds like this something you really want and you are financially secure enough to swing it.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
dewey

Post by dewey »

Based on what you wrote--I'm all in with buy it if you want it. I disagree with an earlier post that said if you do it more frequently it leads to financial ruin.

Life is short----by any measure. We all have our preferences and desires for our investments. If you feel secure about your fiscal condition, and you want a new fun car, I say do it without hesitation and without remorse. Enjoy it to the max. For some people, a car is a great source of pleasure. For others, it's a boat. For others it's a lake cottage or a beach home. For others it's lots of foreign travel. For others it's lots of ski weekends. For others it's lots of fine dining and a rich social life. To each his or her own. Once you've established that you can afford it--the rest of the answer is easy as I see it. That said, I try to balance my life style with a sense of a social conscience. But even there I say, we each have to decide these things for ourselves. I plan to leave a nice package for our heirs. I plan to leave a nice package for several organizations dedicated to making our society a better place. And I also plan to leave someone a pretty nice ride. Go for it.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

The right question is 'having decided to consume it, what else could I do with that money?'

Would you enjoy a car more, or a new kitchen, or a great holiday (I can name you some *great* holidays for say $40k)?

Remember it is experiences not things which make you happy in life. So if the experience of driving this beast is going to make you consistently happy then it's a good way to spend your money.

I live in England, the home of traffic jams and rainy holiday weekends. A convertible is about the last thing I would spend my money on (and they get slashed if you park them on the street).

What about renting nice cars though on weekends?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

snowx800 wrote:Wife won't let me have a motorcycle.
It would save me a bundle.
An ex colleague is now quadripalegic. I have no idea what happened-- whether he was on a public road or some kind of racetrack/ offroad track. It confirmed me in my thoughts about motorcycling.

Living in England, where driving is aggressive, road conditions are often poor and slippery, and people quite frankly have no idea how to drive in ice, snow and fog especially, the hospital nickname of motorcycle couriers as 'donors' seems appropriate. There's this bit of road in the Derbyshire peaks that is apparently the fastest motorbiking road in the UK- -and it slaughters people.

UK motorcycle helmets are not required to have mouth guards either, which *still* gives me a doubletake.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Gambler wrote:
if u want it just for the summer, don't buy.
rent it!
+1. I believe there are companies that can rent you *anything*.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

snowx800 wrote:I'm looking at a Audi A5 convertible or BMW 650i convertible
Any info would be great.
Neither of those will be cheap to purchase and own.

Is it about the driving experience or does a nameplate mean a lot?
As someone mentioned, a Miata is an insanely fun car, reliable and a great value. On a public road, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast vs a fast car slow.

Perhaps an E46 M3 convertible would fit well? ie - older, better value, but still an awesome machine (one of the better looking M3s IMO)
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

1) I am a convertible enthusiast - on my 2nd now - both as primary vehicles for me (i.e. winter and summer).

2) Convertibles are, I think, in broad decline in the marketplace. That means that there were more convertibles, and more brands of convertibles, made a few years back than there are now.

In turn, what that means, is that there are a lot of interesting economical choices in the used marketplace. This includes nameplates that are no longer made and such. Give serious consideration to such vehicles.

For instance, my current convertible is a Saab 9-3. This was a pricey near-luxury vehicle when new, that I bought with relatively low mileage, in excellent condition, at very reasonable price. There are many other similar models to consider - orphans, semi-orphans, and/or models still in production but fading from the maker's priority lists. Volvo, Pontiac, Saturn, Toyota, Mitubishi, Saab, and others, in addition to the commonly cited Mazda.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

Any info would be great.
Neither would be fun. They are luxurious, prestigious cars and handle like a boat. If you are looking for a fun car, you need something like first gen BMW Z4 (E85), Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Porsche Boxter or Lotus Elise. All this can be had for 30k.
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

surfstar wrote: Perhaps an E46 M3 convertible would fit well? ie - older, better value, but still an awesome machine (one of the better looking M3s IMO)
S54 is an expensive to maintain engine. Rock solid though, would last 100s of 1000s of miles.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Erhan wrote:
surfstar wrote: Perhaps an E46 M3 convertible would fit well? ie - older, better value, but still an awesome machine (one of the better looking M3s IMO)
S54 is an expensive to maintain engine. Rock solid though, would last 100s of 1000s of miles.
More than, say a Chevy SBC V8, probably. But looking at his other choices, I think an E46 would be an ideal balance of fun, handling, and reliability. The line I've heard for years about BMW reliability is always chose the straight 6 over the V8 and you can't go wrong. I had a friend who racked up 150K on a hardtop E46 M3, never gave him much trouble. I recall the 1st model year or two had rod bearing issues but they straightened it out soon after and IIRC gave a 100K mile warranty on the affected years.

On topic, as a car guy, I say heck yeah, buy yourself a fun toy, you've earned it!
Michread

Post by Michread »

Why are you asking us? Can you afford it? (pretend Suzie Orman is asking.)

Do the math - how much up front, how much over time. What else could you be using that money for that would be MORE FUN than the car?
Early retirement 2018
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Erhan wrote:
Any info would be great.
Neither would be fun. They are luxurious, prestigious cars and handle like a boat. If you are looking for a fun car, you need something like first gen BMW Z4 (E85), Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Porsche Boxter or Lotus Elise. All this can be had for 30k.
I disagree, an A5 with a ECU chip upgrade for about $800 is a blast to drive. If you want, add another $1000K for stiffer suspension and you are good to go.

I have an S5 which is a luxury car but a blast on the track. Before buying, I test drove everything you can think of in the coupe range including Camaro, Mustang, 370z, G37, ISF, Z06, GTR, M3, WRX, Lotus, and I may be missing some. I found the Audi S5 was the best car for everything I needed. I felt it had the most power to comfort of all the cars, and with a $2000K chip and pulley upgrade, the car is a bit over 400hp. The car does not handle like a boat and with the sports differential putting extra torque to the outside rear tire pulls the car around turns. But I will admit is quite heavy on the track. Definitely not as nimble as a 911, Miata/RX7. The car does better on the track compared to the much higher horsepower american muscle due to its handling.

My thoughts on these cars
370z/WRX are probably your best bang for your buck for sports cars in the low end
Z06 and GTR are your best bang for buck on the high end sports cars.
Camaro and Mustang will give you the most HP per dollar spent but nothing else.
G37 is like the 370z only with some luxury. A very good bang for the buck if you want some luxury
The German cars Audi/BMW had the best comfort and handling but very pricey for the power it produces. Obviously I preferred Audi.

Lastly I want to talk about the Lotus Elise. This car is amazing. Some of the best handling I have driven, but also the least comfortable car I have been in. There is no luxury in a Lotus, most people who buy them do not hold them for very long for that reason. The suspension, seats and ride is very stiff. A Lotus Elise is definitely a lot of fun for a second car but eventually your wife will refuse to sit in it.

I hope this helps you a little.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

We picked up a 10 year old Mustang convertible last summer. Its fun we enjoy it and all that jazz but after storing this winter and summer on its way now I'm giving some thought to selling now. Just does not look and feel the same as it did last year.

It was a done and check it off the bucket list type of thing I think

Moral of the story, buy old and used and if you don' t like it the following year you are out $1,000, big deal. I'm still on the fence about it, waiting for an 80 degree day to dive it then make up my mind!

Good Luck
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
rob

Post by rob »

Yes - great time for a mid-life crisis like a convertible :D

I know OP didn't mention MG but as a former owner - they are great exercise with all the push starting :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

- No. -
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

We each make our own subjective choices on how to spend our fun money.

Having said that, here is my Boglehead inspired answer. Just as we say not to look for excitement in your investing life, I believe in avoiding excitement in transportation. Both are inefficient at best and dangerous at worst. I'll stick to driving my minivan to the amusement park.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

gwrvmd wrote:Go for it! Nobody ever said on their deathbed " I wish I had spent more time at the office and not bought a sports car".

To be a real Boglehead; buy a Mazda Miata; fun,low cost and dependable so you don't need a mechanic, just like a Vanguard Index Fund: fun, low cost, dependable so you don't need a Financial Advisor......Gordon
+1

Two years ago I bought a Miata. It's great.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

You've received some great advice already, so I'll join those who say "Sure--if you're satisfied with the financial numbers."

Not to rain on your parade, but have you owned a convertible previously? It has been my experience that people love them or hate them. I confess I'm in the latter group. Where I live, there are really only a few weeks out of the year that they are appealing to me. The rest of the time it is either too cold to put the top down or too hot and humid. The mechanics are much improved since I owned a convertible, but they used to be a real PITA. When I've had convertible tops, T-tops (remember those?), or sunroofs, they were rarely used.

But, for full disclosure, I recently bought a fun car for the first time in years. Happy hunting!
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

To expand D&G's points a bit:

I've had two convertibles. My current one is a solidly built Saab 9-3. It has a power top (i.e. push and hold a button to fully put the top up/down). The top basically retracts into the trunk, giving the car a nice clean look with the top down. It has heated seats (the heated seats expand the temperature range at which the top can comfortably be down.

My previous convertible did not have heated seats. It had a power top, but I think there were also a couple of latches that needed to be manually set/unset. When retracted, the top just kinda sat behind the rear seats (i.e. did not retract into the trunk). There was a cover I could put over the retracted top to clean the lines, but it was a pain to put on/take off.

====

So, bottom line, a more solidly built, more feature-rich convertible may also be used more and enjoyed more. It seems that in general, recent convertibles are much better than those of 20-30 years ago.

And you may get a year or two of fun out of it and then decide to move on. That speaks to considering a used convertible rather than a new one.
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I am unqualified to say no as the owner of a Lotus Elise.

But I don't know that I'd go with the unreliable models you mention (note that Lotus uses Toyota powertrains).

Consider cars that have reliable track records. Miata, BRZ/FRS, 370Z, even a Civic Si will bring you fun. They'll all be less than a new Audi and will spend less time with the dealer mechanic and more time on the road with you.

If you want a car that'll hold it's value well, consider a Lotus Elise. They were brought to the US from 05-11 under waiver and with fewer than 5000 imported, will likely hold their value better than anything on the market at a reasonable price. $30 will buy you a good one.
I owned Mk I Elise #378, so I'm certainly sympathetic to this suggestion. And depreciation of used US Elises seems to have essentially stopped. And while the MK I with the Rover K series was easily the least reliable car I ever owned, I'll concede that Audi and BMW convertibles can't match Toyota or Lexus in this regard. But I seriously doubt that someone looking for an A5 or 3 series convertible (which I assume the OP is talking about) would possibly consider a pure toy like the Elise. I still recall using ear plugs on all my long road trips.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Wolkenspiel wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:I am unqualified to say no as the owner of a Lotus Elise.

I owned Mk I Elise #378, so I'm certainly sympathetic to this suggestion. And depreciation of used US Elises seems to have essentially stopped. And while the MK I with the Rover K series was easily the least reliable car I ever owned, I'll concede that Audi and BMW convertibles can't match Toyota or Lexus in this regard. But I seriously doubt that someone looking for an A5 or 3 series convertible (which I assume the OP is talking about) would possible consider a pure toy like the Elise. I still recall using ear plugs on all my long road trips.
With the two stated options being 4,000lbs. luxury convertibles, certainly sounds like the OP has a different definition of fun. Neither one of those would be anywhere near my "fun car" list either, but its pretty clear OP isn't after a track toy.
Topic Author
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

No I'm definitely not after a track toy, I also looked at a new Mustang GT Camaro SS these cars didnt do it for me. and I don't fit in a lot of those MG, Miata type vehicles.
Last edited by snowx800 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Looks like you can afford it, but what's the opportunity cost? Are you aching for an early retirement? Do you skimp on vacations every year? Do you work too much, and can you cut back if you didn't need to save as much? Some people do get a lot of joy from their cars. A lot of people also think they're going to get more joy from their car than they actually do. If it's a daily driver, they may get used to it rather quickly; if it's a weekend driver, they may simply not use it enough to get their money's worth (see: most boat owners).
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Umm.. buying a sports car means you WILL spend more time at the office. You will hit your number later if you spend money now on fun stuff that you don't need. That might be a good trade-off, but what you said doesn't make sense.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

snowx800 wrote:To get where I want to be it will take putting away almost $80000 a year.
Sounds to me like you CAN'T afford this car then. I'm really surprised no one else picked up on this. If his goals truly require saving $80k a year, and he's only saving $60k-$70k a year, then he can't afford to buy a luxury car purely for fun.