Malwarebytes Anti-malware advises it will expire shortly

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Malwarebytes Anti-malware advises it will expire shortly

Post by CountryBoy »

My free version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware advises it will expire in two days. I am also currently running that s/w and MSEssentials.

Two questions:
1- Since I am looking for a free AVP and the following sites give conflicting advice how do you suggest I proceed?
2-When I do install a substitute for my Malawarebytes I assume that my MSEssentials will have to be uninstalled or there will be conflict; yes?

Of course I could just drop a PM note to the highly estimable Ladygeek, but she is no doubt very busy elsewhere. And that would probably too easy. So do other equally knowledgeable people have the two answers I am looking for?

At the moment, Bitdefender seems to be leading the pack but the further I read the more problems I find with that also.

Oh, well...what to do...
Toons

Re: Malwarebytes Anti-malware advises it will expire shortly

Post by Toons »

Malwarebytes Free version does not expire ,you are running the 14 day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO.To "end"the trial check out the instructions below ,revert to Free,,,tally ho :happy

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entri ... ware-Free-
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Toons

Thank you so very much; that was simple. Gratefully,....

If anyone would be interested in pointing out how to select a free AVP from all the very credible advice, that would be appreciated also.
Last edited by CountryBoy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

All systems GO :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

It's confusing because there is no one best package. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Just pick something and don't sweat it. Right now, I use Malwarebytes plus Avast, and they've done a good job for me (and I've used numerous products over the years.) Others will recommend something else. PC Magazine is usually pretty reliable in terms of reviews -- they've been around a long time.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Been using Avast free and Malwarebytes for severs years and am satisfied. It was originally installed by my tach guy.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
midareff

Post by midareff »

Use AVG free for quite a few years now on Win XP, then 7 and now 8 as well as Android Tablet and phone. No issues on any of them.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Guess I have used almost all of them at one time or another. However currently use only Windows Defender with Win 8.1 Update Pro. However I do encrypt all disks using MS BitLocker Drive Encryption.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks...........
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

I've use malwarebytes free for years on my PC's. I finally bought the pro version (for 3 users). It seems to protect you in real time. I guess it's nice to be protected in real time, as opposed to removing junk that you've already got on your machine.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

That is an excellent point; ummmmmmmm...I might be buying it after all.

And please tell me again what does Malwarebytes do that regular AVPs like MSEssentials or AVG do? I get confused with the terminology?
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

I'm hoping that others will answer your question as I'm not qualified. It seems to me over the years malwarbytes is very sensitive. It seems to find stuff. I can't be sure it isn't finding false positives. But it makes me feel good it finds stuff. The other thing I like about malwarebytes is that when if finds stuff it seems to definitively be able to do something. I've had problems with other AV programs in the past - in that it finds something and has trouble solving/deleting that trouble. Leaving me just crazy.
LH

Post by LH »

Free programs = cnet.com

The top 50 or whatever list will routinely have the best free virus malware etc........

It's a no brainer, and constantly updates via downloads numbers.

If something is good it rises to top.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

myself and Many others have had trouble with viruses when downloading from CNET.
magellan

Post by magellan »

CountryBoy wrote:myself and Many others have had trouble with viruses when downloading from CNET.
This may seem like a distinction without a difference, and I too try to avoid cnet these days, but AFAIK they usually do ok keeping the viruses out.

The problem is all the crap utilities, toolbars, search and homepage hi-jackers and other things that tag along inside the installers. Unlike viruses, this malware is usually more annoying than dangerous. It's usually pretty easy to remove as well.

After installing new software, it's not a bad idea to check the currently installed programs under control panel->programs. If you sort the list by date it's easy to make sure no tag-a-long malware got installed.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

And since I am a beginner, again, please tell me what does Malwarebytes do that regular AVPs like MSEssentials or AVG do? I get confused with the terminology?
DonM17

Post by DonM17 »

If you want to avoid the crapware that is bundled with programs on some sites like cnet....then you might want to use this site for your downloads.

http://www.filehippo.com/
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

FWIW, some years ago I purchased a Malwarebytes license for $25 (I think it was annual). They've never asked me to renew it. Seems like cheap insurance and I almost never purchase software.
NORDO

Post by NORDO »

BlueEars wrote:FWIW, some years ago I purchased a Malwarebytes license for $25 (I think it was annual). They've never asked me to renew it. Seems like cheap insurance and I almost never purchase software.
Until version 2.0 was released (a couple months ago) all Pro licences were LIFETIME licenses. So, if you got in then, you're good for life. MWB has committed to maintaining their end of the bargain, even as they upgraded to 2.0 - and beyond. Lifetime is lifetime.

That's why people have been grabbing up copies of 1.0 Pro for the past few months. Those old licenses are pretty valuable now. Going forward, it's completely subscription-based at $25/year (for 3 PCs instead of 1 - worth noting) for Pro functionality.

I've got MWB Pro on all our machines, along with MSE. Hard to beat the combination and I've never (knock on wood) had any malware/virus incidents.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Interesting.

And where does one get Release 1.0?
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

lmpmd wrote:I've use malwarebytes free for years on my PC's. I finally bought the pro version (for 3 users). It seems to protect you in real time. I guess it's nice to be protected in real time, as opposed to removing junk that you've already got on your machine.
:thumbsup for more functionality, at a one time cost of $25 you get automatic updates and as mentioned above real time protection. That with the Windows free Defender suite I think I have it covered - not bullet proof but as good as you can get.
For years I used the free AVG tool and that worked fine for me as well.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
NORDO

Post by NORDO »

CountryBoy wrote:Interesting.

And where does one get Release 1.0?
Newegg is still selling it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832562002

If you're on their email list (or sign up if you're not and it'll work, I think) you can use promo code EMCPFHE76 to bring the price down to $20. That code's good through 5/1 but they've had quite a few sales these past couple months. That said, once the remaining 1.0 CDs are gone, they're gone.

The CEO of MWB also posted a link to a limited number of lifetime subscriptions they're selling directly during the rollout of 2.0 - still about 3,500 copies remaining:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/eureka/
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks; think I will buy it.