sportsmobile [camper van conversions]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gerrym51

sportsmobile [camper van conversions]

Post by gerrym51 »

anybody own a sportsmobile? Opinions?
tibbitts

Re: sportsmobile

Post by tibbitts »

You'd probably get more helpful replies on the rv.net forum. Sportsmobiles are highly customizable, so comments about one Sportsmobile might be less applicable to another Sportsmobile than, for example, comments about Pleasureway or Roadtrek Bs.
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

tibbitts wrote:You'd probably get more helpful replies on the rv.net forum. Sportsmobiles are highly customizable, so comments about one Sportsmobile might be less applicable to another Sportsmobile than, for example, comments about Pleasureway or Roadtrek Bs.

i've been on those other forums and sportsmobileforum.com etc. I was just wondering if any bogleheads had one. I am familiar with all the other b manufacturers but

a sportsmobile can be customized for us.

thanks though :mrgreen:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/index.html
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

What would be the advantage of these over, say, a class C RV like this ? http://chateau-rv.com/

I would think the gas mileage difference not that large versus the extra capacity of the class C.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nearing_Destination wrote:What would be the advantage of these over, say, a class C RV like this ? http://chateau-rv.com/

I would think the gas mileage difference not that large versus the extra capacity of the class C.
It depends on the driver. If your career was driving an 18-wheeler on delivery routes throughout Manhattan, it won't matter. For most of the rest of us, the difference is substantial. Depending on the van model you build your sportsmobile with, you'll probably fit in a standard parking space. You won't fit in a typical residential garage or commercial parking garage (even if you opt for the pop-top model), but you almost could. And an important difference is the width. It's hard to find a sub-8ft C. There are some custom C/B+ rental units you can buy used, or could as of a year or two ago, that are 7.5ft, but I don't know of many others. Those units were single-rear-wheel, like a sportsmobile van, but when you go to dual-rear-wheel, you're almost always looking at 8ft. For most drivers, there's a huge difference between 7ft, 7.5ft, and 8ft. width. You also get some degree of stealth with a B - you might be able to park it in your driveway (since it won't fit in most garages), whereas a C would get chased out of your neighborhood. And with a B you can usually pull over and sleep in places where you might get kicked out in a C. You can get a sportsmobile built on a 4x4 chassis, which isn't an option with most Bs or Cs. Other customizing is available as well. One of the disadvantages of many Bs and Cs is that the front seats back up to some sort of structural feature, such that you can't recline the front seats enough for some people to be comfortable. Sitting at 90-degrees for hundreds of miles just isn't that much fun.

It's frustrating to spend vastly more for a much smaller B vs. a much roomier and more deluxe C, but you're paying for less driving stress and the other advantages mentioned. Sportsmobiles are relatively inexpensive for Bs, but only if you outfit them that way; put in all the features that many other Bs have and you've got a similar price, maybe 50-100% more than a small C. It just depends on the driver whether it's worth it.

Most people will get 30-60% better mileage in a B vs. C, depending on powertrain (diesel vs. gas, etc.) and driving habits. But often that won't save enough over the vehicle's lifetime to make up for the initially higher price of the B. Bs hold their value somewhat more than Cs as well, so buying used won't necessarily improve the relative economy, unless you buy very, very used - which obviously has issues as well.

One of sportsmobile's competitors is tiger (tiger adventure vehicles), which are somewhat less stealthy and often more expensive, but attract some of the same customers, due to their advantages in maneuverability.
thewizzer

Re: sportsmobile [camper van conversions]

Post by thewizzer »

I know that if I have to ask...., but how much does one of these things typically cost? I'm sure it depends on how you outfit it. Just curious.
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

thewizzer wrote:I know that if I have to ask...., but how much does one of these things typically cost? I'm sure it depends on how you outfit it. Just curious.

to build a decent one-around 90 thousand :mrgreen:
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

tibbitts wrote:
Nearing_Destination wrote:What would be the advantage of these over, say, a class C RV like this ? http://chateau-rv.com/

It depends on the driver. If your career was driving an 18-wheeler on delivery routes throughout Manhattan, it won't matter. For most of the rest of us, the difference is substantial. Depending on the van model you build your sportsmobile with, you'll probably fit in a standard parking space. You won't fit in a typical residential garage or commercial parking garage (even if you opt for the pop-top model), but you almost could. And an important difference is the width. It's hard to find a sub-8ft C. There are some custom C/B+ rental units you can buy used, or could as of a year or two ago, that are 7.5ft, but I don't know of many others. Those units were single-rear-wheel, like a sportsmobile van, but when you go to dual-rear-wheel, you're almost always looking at 8ft. For most drivers, there's a huge difference between 7ft, 7.5ft, and 8ft. width. You also get some degree of stealth with a B - you might be able to park it in your driveway (since it won't fit in most garages), whereas a C would get chased out of your neighborhood. And with a B you can usually pull over and sleep in places where you might get kicked out in a C. You can get a sportsmobile built on a 4x4 chassis, which isn't an option with most Bs or Cs. Other customizing is available as well. One of the disadvantages of many Bs and Cs is that the front seats back up to some sort of structural feature, such that you can't recline the front seats enough for some people to be comfortable. Sitting at 90-degrees for hundreds of miles just isn't that much fun.

It's frustrating to spend vastly more for a much smaller B vs. a much roomier and more deluxe C, but you're paying for less driving stress and the other advantages mentioned. Sportsmobiles are relatively inexpensive for Bs, but only if you outfit them that way; put in all the features that many other Bs have and you've got a similar price, maybe 50-100% more than a small C. It just depends on the driver whether it's worth it.

Most people will get 30-60% better mileage in a B vs. C, depending on powertrain (diesel vs. gas, etc.) and driving habits. But often that won't save enough over the vehicle's lifetime to make up for the initially higher price of the B. Bs hold their value somewhat more than Cs as well, so buying used won't necessarily improve the relative economy, unless you buy very, very used - which obviously has issues as well.

One of sportsmobile's competitors is tiger (tiger adventure vehicles), which are somewhat less stealthy and often more expensive, but attract some of the same customers, due to their advantages in maneuverability.

tidbits-i've looked at tigers-i live in a condo complex-could not get away with one unless i stored it. Besides the good thing about the sportsmobile is they have an UNDER FLOOR AIR CONDITIONER system you can buy. less obvious

also to me it's a TOURING VAN not a camping van-the moderator called it camping. I'm looking at doing the conversion in the new 2015 ford Transit(NOt transit CONNECT).

2015 ford transit-GAS engine.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Gerrym has identified the main difference between a B (or even most tigers) and a conventional C: it's touring vs. more traditional RVing. If you're going to mostly be driving, the B or tiger is vastly superior for most people. If you're going to visit a campground or rv park and plop for a week or two at a time (or are willing to tow another vehicle for local transportation), then probably the C is a better buy - and definitely roomier and more comfortable when parked, especially for us... larger people.

One downside of towing another vehicle, besides the whole process of hitching/unhitching, dealing with brake controllers, etc. - is that you don't get the RV benefits when you're out touring - no bathroom, kitchen, etc. And you have to remember to take everything you want with you out of the C and put it in your other vehicle (probably every day.) And then there's that whole backing up issue.

Lots of condos or neighborhoods won't allow any kind of B (or even an unconverted van or pickup) either, so that's really a situation-specific matter. Our neighborhood won't allow anything, even a plain pickup, on a 1-ton chassis, for example. 3/4 ton is allowed. Maybe it's an attempt to drive sales of 250/2500 replacement badges at the local dealerships.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

gerrym51 wrote:
thewizzer wrote:I know that if I have to ask...., but how much does one of these things typically cost? I'm sure it depends on how you outfit it. Just curious.

I just ordered a Roadtrek -- significantly more than that! (Not really a BH-type toy!)
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

It really depends on what folks want it for. We've made several cross country trips in a big diesel RV, pulling a car for local jaunts. I've enjoyed it, and no doubt, there's plenty of room to bring everything you own along.

But I have to admit, maintaining the rig, keeping all the systems working, negotiating the highways and access roads, hooking/unhooking, looking for the right fuel stop and the right RVpark site was getting a bit much.

I watched folks pull in and out simply in their B's. Now we want to visit natural sites, parks, forestry areas a bit closer to home. So we'll take along less stuff, and enjoy the better maneuverability and driveability of a smaller rig for a while.
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

obgraham wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:

I just ordered a Roadtrek -- significantly more than that! (Not really a BH-type toy!)

hey man which one-i've looked at most of them. I wonder if they will start making one on the transit
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

tibbitts wrote:Gerrym has identified the main difference between a B (or even most tigers) and a conventional C: it's touring vs. more traditional RVing. If you're going to mostly be driving, the B or tiger is vastly superior for most people. If you're going to visit a campground or rv park and plop for a week or two at a time (or are willing to tow another vehicle for local transportation), then probably the C is a better buy - and definitely roomier and more comfortable when parked, especially for us... larger people.

One downside of towing another vehicle, besides the whole process of hitching/unhitching, dealing with brake controllers, etc. - is that you don't get the RV benefits when you're out touring - no bathroom, kitchen, etc. And you have to remember to take everything you want with you out of the C and put it in your other vehicle (probably every day.) And then there's that whole backing up issue.

Lots of condos or neighborhoods won't allow any kind of B (or even an unconverted van or pickup) either, so that's really a situation-specific matter. Our neighborhood won't allow anyting, even a plain pickup, on a 1-ton chassis, for example. 3/4 ton is allowed. Maybe it's an attempt to drive sales of 250/2500 replacement badges at the local dealerships.
mine will be called a 'conversion" van for condo purposes.underfloor a/c,no propane ,porta potti for toilet-all sportsmoble options
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

hey man which one-i've looked at most of them. I wonder if they will start making one on the transit
CS Adventurous, on the Sprinter. With the E-trek pack. Price is on their site, read it and weep!
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

obgraham wrote:
CS Adventurous, on the Sprinter. With the E-trek pack. Price is on their site, read it and weep!

I already know the price . I am weeping and jealous. good luck to you.
Toons

Post by Toons »

obgraham wrote:It really depends on what folks want it for. We've made several cross country trips in a big diesel RV, pulling a car for local jaunts. I've enjoyed it, and no doubt, there's plenty of room to bring everything you own along.

But I have to admit, maintaining the rig, keeping all the systems working, negotiating the highways and access roads, hooking/unhooking, looking for the right fuel stop and the right RVpark site was getting a bit much.

I watched folks pull in and out simply in their B's. Now we want to visit natural sites, parks, forestry areas a bit closer to home. So we'll take along less stuff, and enjoy the better maneuverability and driveability of a smaller rig for a while.
We purchased a Roadtrek SS Agile about 3 months ago,all the above you mentioned is so true many of which are why we chose a class B.It takes us about 15 minutes to "pick up " and leave a campsite.We also enjoy the ability to pull off most anywhere to relax,eat,watch TV ,take a break or "snooze". :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
AnesBH

Post by AnesBH »

Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

AnesBH wrote:We have a 2010- we love it!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... =15&t=5285

Hey,

I've actually seen those pictures of your sportsmobile before on the sportsmobile forum. good for you :mrgreen:
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

gerrym51 wrote:

Gees, back in the mid-1970s I built one in a step van bought used from a bankrupt package delivery business, think UPS delivery truck. It had everything but a bathroom, including a home stereo with turn-table ( could only play when parked of course). This is something every high school boy should own - a rolling party-mobile. :)

I lived in it for just about a year between high school and college and traveled with a friend who co-owned it to something like 30-40 states.

If memory serves the living area was 6.5 ft wide (length of a regular bed), 6.5 ft high and 16 feet long.

Even with inflation it cost a great deal less than $90K! :shock:

I have thought about buying something like being discussed in this thread for retirement travel, but given the cost might just build another one myself.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Toons wrote:We purchased a Roadtrek SS Agile about 3 months ago,all the above you mentioned is so true many of which are why we chose a class B.
Given the steep raking of the Sprinter's windshield, are windshield rock chips a common occurrence?
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

Rodc wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:

Gees, back in the mid-1970s I built one in a step van bought used from a bankrupt package delivery business, think UPS delivery truck. It had everything but a bathroom, including a home stereo with turn-table ( could only play when parked of course). This is something every high school boy should own - a rolling party-mobile. :)

I lived in it for just about a year between high school and college and traveled with a friend who co-owned it to something like 30-40 states.

If memory serves the living area was 6.5 ft wide (length of a regular bed), 6.5 ft high and 16 feet long.

Even with inflation it cost a great deal less than $90K! :shock:

I have thought about buying something like being discussed in this thread for retirement travel, but given the cost might just build another one myself.
rod- i have thought of that several times. I am looking at high top promasters and transits. however building one yourself can be a daunting task-especially if you have no building skills and tools and knowledge. the one thing i have done is amassed cash as i got older. i am know at the pointin life i can spend the money-but my wife's andmine frugality has been holding me back. iam not interested in leaving a lot of money to my kids. i plan on spending it on ME.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

rod- i have thought of that several times. I am looking at high top promasters and transits. however building one yourself can be a daunting task-especially if you have no building skills and tools and knowledge. the one thing i have done is amassed cash as i got older. i am know at the pointin life i can spend the money-but my wife's andmine frugality has been holding me back. iam not interested in leaving a lot of money to my kids. i plan on spending it on ME.
I'm a do-it-your self type, like it and started life with very little money. Been published in Fine Woodworking. But like you, with age came a decent amount of savings. My wife makes fun of me because I often make my own tools and try to fix just about anything. But, then it takes a long time and sometimes I fail! :) I am a slow learner but my wife has been teaching me there is nothing wrong with sometimes just buying what you want or paying a professional to do a job you don't enjoy.

She is right of course.

If you just buy a camper I'm sure you will enjoy it. Best of luck!
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Topic Author
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

Rodc wrote:
I'm a do-it-your self type, like it and started life with very little money. Been published in Fine Woodworking. But like you, with age came a decent amount of savings. My wife makes fun of me because I often make my own tools and try to fix just about anything. But, then it takes a long time and sometimes I fail! :) I am a slow learner but my wife has been teaching me there is nothing wrong with sometimes just buying what you want or paying a professional to do a job you don't enjoy.

She is right of course.

If you just buy a camper I'm sure you will enjoy it. Best of luck!
thank you :mrgreen: ps i prefer touring vehicle