deleted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve_14

Re: Where would you retire, if $ were no object?

Post by steve_14 »

In America (especially when Medicare kicks in) near family and friends.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I would live where I am living, Honolulu, HI, near family and friends. We have great weather and my kids hopefully will come back and settle down here when they start their families. All my sibs and my folks live here; we have lived here nearly all my life and our kids grew up here.

I think living near loved ones is so important. If I didn't live in HI, I'm not sure where I'd live, so I'd have to put more thought into it. Haven't yet traveled anywhere I'd prefer to live.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

letsgobobby wrote:SHowever, consider all other usual factors like weather, job opportunities
Job opportunities? In retirement? :confused
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think I would retire in three or four different places. There is no single place that has what I would like if $ were no object.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

city/town in the United States - Santa Fe, NM

city/town outside the United States - Loja, Ecuador

One more question: if you aren't living there now, why not? - Can't afford Santa Fe (yet). As far as Ecuador goes, great place to visit but really wouldn't want to retire there since we will soon have GKs here in Texas.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

22twain wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:SHowever, consider all other usual factors like weather, job opportunities
Since one of the main reasons I live where I live is my family (aka children and grandchildren), I would have to move them along with me. Now there are two ways to interpret the question. If money is no object for me, but not for them, they would need jobs after I paid their moving expenses. However, if money is truly no object, then they would never have to work again, so you are correct. But then I would be in the midst of the "give your children money and they will be ruined for life (but rich)" debate.

Does "money no object" extend after my death? If so, then who needs a stinkin' job?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Since this is a hypothetical exercise, I'd own an apartment in Manhattan or DC, a flat in London, and small villas in Provence and St. Barts.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

In the US - an apartment in a low-rise building in Manhattan.
Second choice, San Diego, California

Outside the US - hmmm....French Riveria?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

U.S. - Santa Barbara, CA
Overseas - suburban Melbourne, Australia
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

I would set up camp somewhere in the Monterey Peninsula, play golf at Cypress Point.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

22twain wrote:
Just look at Mr. Money Mustache, you can 'retire' but still work...

Or you could always be a Walmart greeter for the social interaction.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

livesoft wrote:I think I would retire in three or four different places. There is no single place that has what I would like if $ were no object.
This.

Our plan now is to retire on a lake in the Mid-west, but spend January - March renting somewhere else... Like Florida or Costa-Rica or California or anywhere warm. Different every year so it will be an adventure.

If money was no object, I don't think I'd change that plan too much... Just get a much nicer place on the lake, and rent much nicer places in the winter...

Maybe I'd consider California or Hawaii all year-around if money was no object, but driving/sailing a boat/jetski in the ocean is a lot more stressful and a lot more work than driving/sailing a boat/jetski on a lake. When I'm 65, I think I'm going to want the calm waters of a lake when I take the jetski out rather than wrestling with ocean waves the entire time (Plus salt-water can be annoying).
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Estes Park, CO wife and I love Rocky Mtn NP.

Outside US: Don't know...havn't traveled enough

Why not now: Job is to good, family is close.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

One place for me that covers both categories: St. John, USVI, preferably in a hilltop villa with a view of Sir Francis Drake Channel.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

For winter months Tustin, CA foothills or that approx. area (or possibly north of Phoenix, AZ, Anthem, Cave Creek)

A month in Marathon, FL to get some heat/sun/relaxation. (own a condo at Tranquility Bay, use owner weeks)

June/July/August at a small cabin on a lake in West Central Minnesota (home area).

Repeat.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Bustoff wrote:I would set up camp somewhere in the Monterey Peninsula, play golf at Cypress Point.
I've lived there all my life, but if money were no object I'd have a beach front single family home on the big island of Hawaii and a summer cabin in Kenai Alaska. If my home were in the picture Bustoff posted I think it would be a possibility.

Sorry Bustoff, but I don't play golf. We'll, at least I don't think you could call what I do golfing. More like grass trimming really.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Interpreting the original post to be one location, for me, it would be Big Island of Hawaii because you can drive to any altitude, any day for variety, but there is no real winter, ever.

I'm not there because DW is not leaving her gardening or her friends in this community.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

A small townhouse in Greenwhich Village, NY (about 30 blocks from here).
It probably costs as much as a huge mansion elsewhere. But the location on a quiet low rise street in the village, is unbeatable (for me).
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

Where would you retire, if $ were no object?
San Diego, CA...

One more question: if you aren't living there now, why not?

1. Can't afford it.
2. DH still has a job (in VA).
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

As Erma Bombeck wrote in the title of one of her books, "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank."
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

If money is no object presumably that means I have more money than I can possibly spend so I would stay right where I am close to family and just use private jet to travel to any other place I had a hankering to see.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I would certainly stop working my current job, and do volunteer work or something else stress free.

I would probably stay in Chicago for April-Oct , probably somewhere warmer for the winters.

I hate flying, so when traveling I would drive to the coast and hop on a cruise to Europe or wherever I wanted to go. Ahhhh if $ and time were not important.
midareff

Post by midareff »

letsgobobby wrote:So you get to retire anywhere in the world. Cost is the only factor you may not consider in your analysis (and therefore I'm also going to exclude any consideration of taxes). However, consider all other usual factors like weather, job opportunities, culture, food, proximity to family, whatever. If you have a life partner you have to take into account his/her wishes, as well.

To make this easier, please provide two responses:

city/town in the United States (if you don't live in the US, play along and pick somewhere in the US anyway).

city/town outside the United States. If you can't think of any, don't force it.

One more question: if you aren't living there now, why not?

I don't know my answers to these questions. I am leaning toward Bellingham, WA for my first choice but the weather isn't great and it may be just a little too far to a big city. Boulder, CO seems wonderful but I've only visited once.

I don't believe I'd retire outside the states full time, too far from family and my wife would not go for it for the same reason. From a purely aesthetic and lifestyle choice, Vancouver, BC is pretty attractive.

Can't go yet as my job is too attractive (sometimes).
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

placeholder wrote:If money is no object presumably that means I have more money than I can possibly spend so I would stay right where I am close to family and just use private jet to travel to any other place I had a hankering to see.
Excellent answer. I believe that is what Buffet and Gates do.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

The Cliffs in North and South Carolina. Beautiful communities.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
midareff

Post by midareff »

Am retired (66) and looking to move from Miami (worked here pre-retirement) to Fort Myers on the other coast of Florida. Have not found the right apartment for sale since we decided this was it.

Weather is similar to Miami, a degree or two hotter in the summer and a couple cooler in the winter. Wifey would probably like us to relocate to Bangkok, her home town, but in reality she is quite comfortable here. Other pluses (big) almost everything is walkable from several blocks for restaurants, post office, banks, exhibition center, concert hall, etc., to medical facilities just under a mile away. Ten minutes in the car will get you to a major mall with movie theatres and the regional airport. Building we are looking at has a huge screened balcony on the water side (300 sq. ft.) that will be very usable most months. Throw in low crime in the historic district, no vagrancy and lots of public events downtown and it becomes very attractive.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

I'd live in apartments at top of luxury hotels throughout the world moving with the seasons.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

Where I would retire:
La Jolla, CA.

Outside the US:
Hobart, Tasmania

Why I'm not living in La Jolla now - can't afford it. Although I am close (in distance, not $).
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

nisiprius wrote:Image
Oh I used to eat at that diner in Albany. It was the best back in the early 80's.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

letsgobobby wrote:One more question: if you aren't living there now, why not?
150 mile commute from the lake to my job would be a bit tough. :)
ginyah

Post by ginyah »

Toronto, ON but I can't afford it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

LaJolla, CA.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

TimeRunner wrote:As Erma Bombeck wrote in the title of one of her books, "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank."
Erma was wrong. It is greener over the septic tank DRAINFIELD.

I guarantee it.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

This will probably not sound very adventuresome, but I'd live 1/2 the year, maybe a bit more, in northern MN for the lakes and fishing and live the cold weather months in FL
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

cheese_breath wrote:U.S. - Santa Barbara, CA
+1, but I'd also have homes in HI, CO, NC and OR or WA just to mix it up.

Why am I not living there now: Because money is an object :) Also, most of my family is on the East Coast. If money wasn't an object, we'd all be relocating to Southern California

Outside of the US (although I haven't been there) possibly Vancouver / Whistler or Switzerland. I could see myself spending a few years outside of the US, but I don't think I'd want to retire outside of the US.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I will maintain a home in an inexpensive area and go to visit expensive places on vacations.
rob

Post by rob »

If I had to pick a single money no object in the US only..... Penthouse facing central park NYC (and a chauffeur so I don't care where he has to go to find a parking spot or what it costs :-) ).

Outside the US - Florence near the dromo
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Laguna-Balboa area, or San Francisco.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

New Jersey

:wink:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I won't matter, as I plan to travel quite a bit. A month here, a few weeks there. I'll be looking for beautiful beaches and magnificent mountains. Too many places to visit to limit myself to only one or two...

and besides, I already rent a 1br apt in Santa Barbara :mrgreen:
smiley

Post by smiley »

why settle on just one place - why not live on the World?

:happy
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Wall, South Dakota

Anzio, Italy
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Rockford, Illinois. I don't live there now because my job is somewhere else.

Family considerations are the reason I will return to Illinois within the next 5 years. Outside of the US ...Thunder Bay, Ontario is the non-US city closest to where I like to fish. Or maybe I'd pick Armstrong, Ont. Somewhere in Northern Ontario is probably the only non-US place I'd consider, and that's not something I'm really considering. Does Ely, Mn count as a foreign place? :D
Don't do something. Just stand there!
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

I'd stay exactly where I am in Reno, NV. I can ski or mountain bike almost any day of the year, sometimes both on the same day. Takes me 15 minutes to drive to skiing and I bike right out of my front door.

I would take a lot more vacations if money were no object, but I don't like the idea of true snowbirding . Sounds like a huge hassle. It helps that I have an activity that allows me to fully enjoy winter.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

letsgobobby wrote:So you get to retire anywhere in the world. Cost is the only factor you may not consider in your analysis (and therefore I'm also going to exclude any consideration of taxes). However, consider all other usual factors like weather, job opportunities, culture, food, proximity to family, whatever. If you have a life partner you have to take into account his/her wishes, as well.

To make this easier, please provide two responses:

city/town in the United States (if you don't live in the US, play along and pick somewhere in the US anyway).
New York City, Manhattan
letsgobobby wrote:city/town outside the United States. If you can't think of any, don't force it.
London
letsgobobby wrote:One more question: if you aren't living there now, why not?
At one time I wanted to move to London but could not convince my company to expatriate me there. Manhattan has always seemed unaffordable to me, but perhaps, I have not looked carefully enough. When I lived in New Jersey, I was coming to NYC 2-3 times each month and that seemed to satisfy my need for the Big Apple. In retirement I will start visiting it again.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I like it here on the Salish where my roots are.
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

USA: New York City

Non-US: Barcelona, Spain
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
praxis

Post by praxis »

This is a great question to think about.

I think maybe now, in my retirement, money is not an object.
I am living the same life now that I would if I had more.

Wife is 5 years younger, we each retired when we reached 56. I signed up for Medicare yesterday.

We live in a small city on the Gulf Coast and we spend half the year in a cabin in southern CO.

We were afraid we would not get to travel once we built a second home, but we do.

Last week we returned from (in her words) our very best vacation ever, a month in Andalucia.

I ask myself often if I'm actually doing what I want at that moment with who I want to be with.

And I give myself permission to change.

This turned into a heavier question than when I started to answer it.