POLL: what's the deal with Tuna Fish?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How do you prefer your tuna?

from a CAN with WATER
63%
from a CAN with OIL
7%
i only eat it FRESH
14%
I don't eat tuna fish
17%

Total votes: 153

Topic Author
schuyler74

POLL: what's the deal with Tuna Fish?

Post by schuyler74 »

In the past, I preferred buying tuna in a can with oil. I always just figured it was fish oil and full of good stuff -- didn't even check. But then someone told me that the oil isn't even fish-based, it's just a vegetable oil! They said tuna packed in water is healthier. So I switched.

Were they right? For you tuna-lovers out there, how do you buy it? Think it makes a difference?

Now, after opening the can, I hold it under cold running water and press the metal lid down into the tuna a few times to squeeze out whatever liquid is in there and replace it with the fresh running water. I suspect I'm probably doing this wrong, too. Need advice! I'm eating a tuna fish sandwich right now and can't even finish it; I'm so distraught.

sscritic

Re: POLL: what's the deal with Tuna Fish?

Post by sscritic »

Sushi fresh, sandwiches water. You won't let me vote twice, so I won't vote at all.
trasmuss

Post by trasmuss »

My preference is for Starkist solid white in water vs. chunk light. It costs more but it is very good.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Olive oil. I open the can, press out the oil with the lid (but not too hard, I still like a little oil mixed in with the tuna), put it in a bowl with some feta cheese and cherry tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and enjoy! Great flavor. Try it and you'll never want to eat Starkist or Chicken of the Sea again.

Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Topic Author
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

sscritic wrote:Sushi fresh, sandwiches water. You won't let me vote twice, so I won't vote at all.
Oh, sscritic, now... votecritic. :)

Good point -- I guess I wasn't considering multiple votes. I don't like this forum's voting mechanism when you open it up to more than 1 vote because it screws up the result %s on the right giving a false idea of which one is really the most popular. For example, in the thread on what Bogleheads drink, it shows "Water" as winning with 21%, but clearly more than just 1-in-5 people would have selected "Water" as one of their [likely multiple] choices.

Or maybe I just don't understand how to correctly read the results, in which case I should edit the poll to allow multiple votes.
sport

Post by sport »

If you want to try some really good tuna, buy some Kirkland Signature brand at Costco. It is a high quality tuna, packed in water without any vegetable broth or other additives. It is also a full 7 ounce can, like it used to be everywhere. It is expensive and you have to buy an 8 pack, but it is much better than the national brands. Actually, Costco sells the national brands cheaper than this private label product.
Jeff
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Agree on the Kirkland brand. That's all we use.
cfs

Post by cfs »

My vote

Starkist, chunk light, in water, plus at Subway my only sandwich is the 12-inch tuna in wheat bread.

Do Great Things! And thanks for reading this note.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

My vote:
Toro (とろ): fatty Bluefin tuna belly
and sake.
brianH

Post by brianH »

I prefer canned salmon or sardines over tuna. At bit more fat (and way more Omega 3s) and tastier. I get the salmon with bones (tons of calcium) and skin...crunch, crunch.

You're right about the crap oil they usually use. Look for olive oil or just packed in water and add your own oil later.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Costco's Kirkland tuna is probably some of the best and in fact made by bumble bee but better quality tuna
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag ... 01/350564/ (old article)

If you live in the south and have access to an HEB supermarket, they sell "Central Market" solid white tuna for about $1.75 a can. This is by far the best tuna. Look at the ingredients: Tuna, water

There are no preservatives or additives like the other brands including Kirkland which adds salt and phosphate.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Topic Author
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

cfs wrote:Starkist, chunk light, in water.
That's right! I forgot to ask about "solid white" versus "chunk light". I always felt this was akin to the difference between white chicken versus the dark meat -- the latter being less popular but supposedly healthier. But that's just a guess.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I avoid fish.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
dl7848

Post by dl7848 »

I like the mercury-free tuna.

Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. :(
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

While in the Peace Corps in the central Pacific many,many years ago, my island father caught a yellow fin tuna. He brought over a pound. I was very surprised to discover that tuna was two colors: a dark purple/brown and a beautiful red. No white at all. What is this, I thought. He gave me three old brown coconuts and told me to scrape out the insides. This was usually given to the pigs and chickens. He put the coconut flakes in some cheesecloth (where he got it was beyond me) and squeezed out the syrup. A boy came over with a lemon. I cut up the tuna into bight sized pieces. My father mixed the fish, the coconut syrup and the lemon together. Hmmm. Uncooked tuna is red. The whole family came over to watch the white demon eat raw fish. Ohhhh...I can still taste it. It was so delicious. It was the most delicious meal I have ever had. Everybody was smiling. It was one of my first lessons that those beautiful islanders were going to give me. I gave so little in two years.
I still like boiled tuna in water mixed with mayo. However, sushi or sashimi is my favorite now.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The joke about water or oil is, that while I buy water, I only buy canned tuna fish as a vehicle for Best Foods Real Mayonnaise (Hellmann's to folks back East). I buy water so the oil doesn't interfere with the mayonnaise taste.

P.S. I will make hollandaise from scratch for my asparagus or Eggs Benedict, but not mayonnaise.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Two problems once you shift to water packed tuna. (The oil packed is horrible, vegetable oil.) The sodium level is very high. There is a low sodium brand but only 1/2. Second, tuna are at the top of the food chain. Mercury is a problem. I'd avoid it altogether.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Can't answer poll since it switches mid stream from what one DOES to what one PREFERS.

I PREFER it fresh but usually BUY it by the can, water packed.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

FWIW, Tuna is the second most consumed seafood in America. Second only to shrimp.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Old Guy wrote:Agree on the Kirkland brand. That's all we use.
Agreed, and here is the best tuna salad recipe I've ever eaten:

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-tuna-salad-ever-236593

The water chestnuts, scallions, and celery add a lot of crunch and the dill is great.

Albacore tuna is higher in mercury, however, so we eat in moderation.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

In Hawaii they call tuna ahi. And they make a spicy raw dish called POKE (po-kay) out of it. I liked it...
Attempted new signature...
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

The Wizard wrote:In Hawaii they call tuna ahi. And they make a spicy raw dish called POKE (po-kay) out of it. I liked it...
They call yellowfin (and bigeye) tuna ahi. They call skipjack tuna aku. I much much prefer the yellowfin.

And, I order my mercury on the side.
soaring

Post by soaring »

There is albacore tuna and then there is just tuna. They are not the same...just open two cans side by side and you will SEE the difference. and yes in water. Also if you are concerned about sodium then look for low sodium or ultra low sodium. Generally in water you will find 180 mg sodium while low sodium will be between 65-100. Just depends if sodium consumption is important to you.
Desiderata
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

I think it is probably worth mentioning that as a top predator, most or all species of tuna fish are now endangered by overfishing, globally. Losing a top predator in a food chain has particularly diabolical consequences-- in particular such predators tend to be slow in reproducing, so recovery of stocks becomes difficult or impossible once a point of no return is crossed.

I spent much of my childhood eating tuna fish sandwiches and carried this over into adulthood. Still do from time to time. But I regret my past consumption.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Trader Joe's has low sodium. It's a low cal lunch with a splash of rice vinegar and a dark vinegar. No crackers or mayo if you're trying to get to race weight. 8-)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
segfault

Post by segfault »

I hate tuna fish and selected the option that I don't eat tuna fish.

Although quite a few people selected that option, I believe that the poll results will reflect some sort of "disgusting food clickthrough bias," which is similar to survivorship bias. People who dislike tuna fish may not click on the poll because they are uninterested and may be underrepresented in the poll results.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Another vote for Kirkland, by far my favorite tuna.

I was exposed to a lot of mercury having my temperature taken as a kid, so I don't worry about a bit of tuna-based mercury now.

But the real question: Why do we call it "Tuna-fish"? Isn't that redundant?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

obgraham wrote:Another vote for Kirkland, by far my favorite tuna.

I was exposed to a lot of mercury having my temperature taken as a kid, so I don't worry about a bit of tuna-based mercury now.

But the real question: Why do we call it "Tuna-fish"? Isn't that redundant?
"The term tuna derives from Thunnus, the Middle Latin form of the Ancient Greek: θύννος (thýnnos) “tunny-fish” – which is in turn derived from θύνω (thynō), "to rush; to dart".[4]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
telemark

Post by telemark »

Just looked in my kitchen cabinet and found sardine fish, packed in olive oil :wink:
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If you look at the cans pictured here and elsewhere, none of them say tuna fish. They all say tuna. The canners know what is inside, even if we don't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tuna+fi ... n&tbm=isch
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

We used to eat only tuna packed in water, generally Kirkland , Chicken of the Sea, or Star Kist. On the recommendation of Cook's Illustrated magazine we shifted over to Wild Planet (available at Costco). It's 100% tuna with a little salt. No water or oil at all. Try it, you'll like it.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
davebarnes

It depends

Post by davebarnes »

1. Light tuna in OIL (lowest price) for our cats.
2. White tuna in WATER (Bumblebee) for our sandwiches.
3. Sushi grade (Whole Foods - $35/lb) for appetizers.
A nerd living in Denver
black jack

Post by black jack »

stan1 wrote:Olive oil. I open the can, press out the oil with the lid (but not too hard, I still like a little oil mixed in with the tuna), put it in a bowl with some feta cheese and cherry tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and enjoy! Great flavor. Try it and you'll never want to eat Starkist or Chicken of the Sea again.

"Olive oil." Maybe.

Given what is known of the extent of olive oil fraud (http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Virginity-S ... 0393343618; http://www.forbes.com/sites/cathyhuyghe ... -antidote/, it's not unreasonable to wonder - if a significant portion of the extra virgin olive oil sold has been adulterated with lower quality olive oil or even other vegetable oils, how likely is it that tuna canners might cut a few corners on the quality of the olive oil they use (since it is not even the main product in the can)?

Just sayin'...
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

black jack wrote:
stan1 wrote:Olive oil. I open the can, press out the oil with the lid (but not too hard, I still like a little oil mixed in with the tuna), put it in a bowl with some feta cheese and cherry tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and enjoy! Great flavor. Try it and you'll never want to eat Starkist or Chicken of the Sea again.

"Olive oil." Maybe.

Given what is known of the extent of olive oil fraud (http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Virginity-S ... 0393343618; http://www.forbes.com/sites/cathyhuyghe ... -antidote/, it's not unreasonable to wonder - if a significant portion of the extra virgin olive oil sold has been adulterated with lower quality olive oil or even other vegetable oils, how likely is it that tuna canners might cut a few corners on the quality of the olive oil they use (since it is not even the main product in the can)?

Just sayin'...
Yes, are probably right. Not extra virgin. Be that as it may the tuna tastes much better than water-packed Chicken of the Sea or Starkist (which I find to be inedible out of the can).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

fishnskiguy wrote:We used to eat only tuna packed in water, generally Kirkland , Chicken of the Sea, or Star Kist. On the recommendation of Cook's Illustrated magazine we shifted over to Wild Planet (available at Costco). It's 100% tuna with a little salt. No water or oil at all. Try it, you'll like it.

Chris
+1

Hope Costco continues to carry it b/c -- like with most stuff -- it's much cheaper here than elsewhere.
Don't reach for yield.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

When I used to eat it, it was with Mac 'n Cheese.

Oh, the tuna was in water.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Tuna casserole: canned tuna, can of condensed mushroom soup, cooked egg noodles or macaroni, cheese, and the most important ingredient, potato chips crumbled over the top. My mom never added the peas. She was a pretty terrible cook, so it was tuna casserole or nothing. I chose the tuna casserole.
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Genova tuna fish in olive oil.

Prepare two batches your favorite way. For one, use a can of water-packed and for the other, olive oil-packed. Taste test.

In a tuna sandwich preparation with mayo and seasonings, don't drain the oil -- use it and use less mayo.

Tuna salad on an english muffin makes for a great breakfast.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

Olive oil. I believe the tuna cans are usually imported from Italy or the middle east. I've had pretty good French canned tuna also. I've given up on American brands. I eat it mixed with a little minced onions and celery on a fresh baguette.
LowER

Post by LowER »

"You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish" (REO Speedwagon circa 1978).

"This thread has run it's course" (LadyGeek circa now).

Couldn't resist :sharebeer :P
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

No vote option for my preference:

I prefer raw, fresh Yellow Fin, thinly sliced, but on sandwiches will make due with either oil or water CHUNK/SOLID tuna, not flaked.

Buying tuna in oil almost eliminates the need for mayonnaise, but buying cans in water water is good too because I like mayonnaise. :happy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I like fresh tuna and canned tuna. Since canned tuna in water became available I've never eaten canned tuna in oil. A huge problem for me is that I do NOT like tuna in which the ingredients list shows anything but tuna, salt, and water; five to ten years ago "they" started to add vegetable broth and/or sodium pyrophosphate. It's not that I think they're unhealthy, I just think they degrade the taste. And is so often the case, I tried to "vote with my dollars" with total lack of success. Within an amazingly short period of time, virtually every brand in the ordinary supermarkets added these ingredients. I do not want to say "conspiracy," I do not want to say "collusion," I am not going to say it's impossible to find tuna fish without it, I am just going to say that the cost in both money and time increased sharply. I NEVER see cheap tuna without these ingredients. In local supermarkets, the only tuna free from them is billed as "low sodium," and a) costs 3 times as much as the others, and b) isn't stocked very consistently.

The Whole Foods canned tuna, their low-end house brand--360?--is OK. Only costs like 1-1/2 times as much as the stuff in supermarkets. I can't remember what Trader Joe has, I think they have a not-too-expensive water-only variety, but we don't have any in a convenient location.

What I can't figure out is, why? why? why? The incredible number of SKU's in an ordinary supermarket gives you the seeming illusion of choice--and the constant hunter-gather anxiety, since no supermarket can actually keep that number of items consistently in stock--and yet the phenomenon of four dozen different kinds of something all undergoing the same undesired change, all at once, after decades of stability, keep happening. (Yogurt containers were always 8 ounces--1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s. Then one went to 6 ounces, so I switched brands, so my new brand went to 6 ounces, so I switched again... and within about a year they had all done it. I believe most them are down to 5-something nowadays...)

I do NOT believe that an entire nation simultaneously developed a craving for vegetable broth, or that most people think tuna in vegetable broth tastes better, or that 8 ounces is too much yogurt to eat at one sitting...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
goaties

Post by goaties »

nisiprius wrote:(Yogurt containers were always 8 ounces--1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s. Then one went to 6 ounces, so I switched brands, so my new brand went to 6 ounces, so I switched again... and within about a year they had all done it. I believe most them are down to 5-something nowadays...)
They are doing this so that we won't notice that the product has become much more expensive. See Ice cream (now 48 instead of 64 oz). Just the other day, I noticed that they had reduced the cottage cheese to 30 oz....thought I wouldn't notice? How stupid do they think we are?....wait, don't answer that.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Tuna fat is solid, sort of like fat on a steak. I generally prefer raw tuna, especially the fatty belly. However, I can't afford to eat it all the time. If I do eat tuna from a can, my preference is to get the tuna packed in olive oil. Usually the exact brand another poster displayed. Water may be better for you, but I am not so fond of water logged fish. Eating a lot of tuna is not good for you any way due to mercury. My preference is to eat canned sardines, or canned clams, or canned octopus. All are lower on the food chain.

Paul
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Tuna in water has a horrible metallic taste to me. Since
it is so much easier to pack tuna in water there had to be
a reason manufacturers provide the alternative of packed
in vegetable oil and that reason would be to improve the
taste.
I must add I am talking about eating the tuna with nothing
added (pickles, mayonnaise, onions). If a lot of other ingredients
are added the water/vegetable oil choice would not matter.
I do squeeze out the excess vegetable oil before consuming.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

You're a "market timer" if you don't try Wild Planet Tuna
dewey

Post by dewey »

Old Guy wrote:Agree on the Kirkland brand. That's all we use.

+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

The poll is missing an option. I voted I Only Eat it Fresh even should it should be I Only Eat it Raw because I only eat tuna as sushi.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I get the lower priced Costco tuna (water packed) in 7 ounce cans. I think there are a dozen cans in a pack.