Stopping unwanted "junk" newspaper

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tim1999

Stopping unwanted "junk" newspaper

Post by tim1999 »

Where I live, the local newspaper publishes a free weekly version, that they put in plastic bags along with advertisements/coupons. They then automatically throw these things in every single yard whether you want it or not. It is worthless to me, and It goes straight to the trash can. It is also a nuisance. The foreclosed home on my street has about 15 of them piled up in the front yard. I travel a lot for work, and I don't like that paper sitting in my yard for days at a time. It's a signal to a potential burglar that I'm not in town. My elderly neighbor has a similar concern. He doesn't always have the mobility to go outside and pick up the thing, and if I'm not in town to pick it up for him, he worries that it may attract a burglar. I even found one in the roof gutter of my house a few weeks ago!

I have called and emailed the newspaper several times requesting that they stop putting these things in my yard. No luck. I either get no response or they say "we'll take you off the list" but they never do.

Has anyone had luck stopping delivery of these unwanted junk papers? I am considering approaching my town council and requesting that they pass an ordinance that basically makes the delivery of any unsolicited/unwanted papers/ads illegal. I don't see how their current practice isn't considered some form of littering.
DRT

Re: Stopping unwanted "junk" newspaper

Post by DRT »

I've never tried to stop this; I assumed I would have little success. I'm not sure if this meets the legal definition of littering, but that's what I call it.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

It is almost impossible to stop without the municipality stepping in. Remember, the delivery "boys" or whoever does it does not deliver by a list of addresses. They just get a neighborhood and deliver it to every home there.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Our biggest concern is with newspapers (those we want, and the junk) piling up even for a day or two, suggesting that "no one is home".

When we are away, we always have a housesitter, someone who either stays over or stops by daily to pick up the papers, bring in the mail, change a few light settings in hallways/bathrooms, and turn a TV on or off, plus general checking things.

But sometimes that visit might get skipped for a day or two due to weather or illness or whatever.

So several years ago, we got in the habit of occasionally (purposefully) letting newspapers and mail "pile up", while we clearly were home (cars going in and out of driveway, changing parked position when home, people walking in and out, etc.).
Or even if we are not "coming and going", such as "as if we both have the flu" but are home.
This actually started after several rounds of serious surgery, such that when DH was on a business trip, I wasn't able to get outside easily to chase after errant newpapers. We then realized there was a possible advantage to having this occur sometimes, when there was clearly "someone home" (or at least weird shadows moving around!).

The mail is almost entirely junk, as we try to get everything electronically (or by FedEx if paper copies are required - too much mail out here gets delivered to the wrong home). So there's rarely any mail with valuable info... mostly junk mail of various sorts.
(We'll even leave some junk mail in the mailbox for the same effect.)

We guess it's a variation of a "confuse the enemy" strategy.

And then we've got the security monitoring, with a few obnoxious signs posted.
The main goal is to "encourage" any ne'er do wells to choose a different home.
(And as one of the least expensive homes in the neighborhood, we hope it is obvious that there are better pickings elsewhere.)

RM
enderland

Post by enderland »

I have a similar situation, except that it is sent to our mailbox, which considering we are in an apartment is quite small. I hate the thing since we throw it away nearly 100% of the time and it takes up significant space. Especially if we aren't able to check our mail daily, the paper gets folded up and I'm always worried I'm going to lose something as a result.

I have tried calling and emailing multiple times to get us off the list. Never had success... though I guess I just sent another email, last one was about 8 months ago.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

It's a good way to get to know your neighbors: recycle their newspapers when they are gone and they will recycle yours when you are gone.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
investor

Post by investor »

I had same problem. One day I was in front yard when the car throwing these papers into yards came by. I asked them (the actual workers) to please stop. For the most part they have.

investor
Taylor Larimore

I cancelled my "Miami Herald" subscription.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Cherokee:

Yesterday I ended more than 50 years subscribing to the Miami Herald.

It was a relief this morning not to bring it in and plow through the advertisements for news I don't need or can get free elsewhere.

I'm curious to see if I will want to re-subscribe later.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
TSR

Post by TSR »

This has not been my experience. We had a sort of "coupons-plus" newspaper that was thrown in my yard for a while and I felt helpless. Helpless, that is, until I actually opened it for the first time and saw an "unsubscribe" notice. I emailed the contact info and was taken off immediately. (This is different from the junk coupons I get in the mail every week.)

Best of luck. If you are calling the right number to have them unsubscribe you but they don't, I'd definitely call the city. Nobody has a "right" to just throw junk in your yard.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

One approach I've heard that worked: contact the advertisers in the paper and let them know the situation, and that they're getting a negative reputation for advertising with such a careless unresponsive paper. Suggest that the papers circulation numbers may be inflated....

Admittedly there's a slightly antisocial/ crazy aspect to this approach....but it's effective. And it's not like the driveway littering newspaper is being a paragon of civility here.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

This is a pet peeve of mine too. We get snow in the winter and the unwanted newspaper can be buried under several inches of snow at the base of our driveway. It can cause a problem when it gets caught in the augur of my snow blower. In other seasons, we often have a drainage puddle in the swale of our driveway and we end up with a soggy paper. Furthermore, it is a sign nobody is home when we take a vacation. You can stop your mail but not these junk papers.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I also had a better experience in calling the newspaper. It stopped , for a year or so. Then I had to call again. It stopped ... repeat.

So I do have to call every year or so, but our paper is responsive.

I've also noted that not every house gets a drop. Maybe only those without regular paid newspaper delivery?

My advice, call and ask again.
lululu

Post by lululu »

I could have written the OP's post.

Where I lived before, the city passed an ordinance saying people had the right to stop these things and there were penalties for ignoring their requests. There was a court case about it. I forget the legal outcome, but it was effective in getting this stuff stopped.

Where I live now there is no such ordinance, and despite many efforts I have been unable to stop the stupid redplum newspaper-like throwaways.

In general, I have found that a reasonable amount of effort has stopped most junk mail and throwaways. The exceptions are Kohls, made even more annoying by their environmentally bad plastic cards, and the once in a while mailings from random local companies that must buy a local mailing list.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

ResearchMed wrote:So there's rarely any mail with valuable info... mostly junk mail of various sorts.
My father used to use a similar strategy. When we would go away for week long vacations he would break out his supply of large plastic kids toys and spread them across the front yard. Better to have people think we were slobs than not there. I don't think he does that any more, but if he does I hope he's updated his collection because POGO balls and hoppity horses aren't going to be fooling anyone these days.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

HueyLD wrote: Finally called the city and got the junk paper to stop.
Huey, was that you, lived across the hallway from me? :D

I love reading up the news and gossips in my local Gazettes which was delivered free within the muni line. I use to live in a condo. The last few months I lived there, the paper mysteriously stopped coming. I called the city to complain and they said someone in my building had requested a stop because it was causing littering issue in the building. The city said I would have to get all 16 units' consent to resume the service. I was about to move so I didn't bother.

Now I am in a house and still enjoy reading the junk papers. I even read ads, believe it or not.

Faith
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

YttriumNitrate wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:So there's rarely any mail with valuable info... mostly junk mail of various sorts.
My father used to use a similar strategy. When we would go away for week long vacations he would break out his supply of large plastic kids toys and spread them across the front yard. Better to have people think we were slobs than not there. I don't think he does that any more, but if he does I hope he's updated his collection because POGO balls and hoppity horses aren't going to be fooling anyone these days.
We try to be on-and-off-year-round "slobs", I guess.

The main point is trying to make it look pretty much the same whether we are home or away (during the day, weekends, or longer).

So we'll leave a bedroom light on for a few days, round the clock, occasionally, varying the room occasionally.
A bathroom light might "get left on" (dim) for a few days, and then a different bathroom light.
These also function as a night light anyway.
A TV might get left on for a few days (CNN is great for this), and before our cats all went to Kitty Heaven, they seemed find some attraction there.

So even if our housesitter isn't staying here, she'll still do the same thing with the lights, and also the newspapers/mail, and turn a TV on or off.

We got this idea when I was recovering from surgery and couldn't comfortably bring in the papers or even mail when they arrived, if DH was away.
Then we realized that it had the effect of not making it clear if we were really home or not. The signals were mixed.

Again, the goal is to make our home a less attractive/more risky target.

We do NOT notify newspapers or the post office that "we'll be away".

RM
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Cherokee8215 wrote:Where I live, the local newspaper publishes a free weekly version, that they put in plastic bags along with advertisements/coupons. They then automatically throw these things in every single yard whether you want it or not. It is worthless to me, and It goes straight to the trash can. It is also a nuisance. The foreclosed home on my street has about 15 of them piled up in the front yard. I travel a lot for work, and I don't like that paper sitting in my yard for days at a time. It's a signal to a potential burglar that I'm not in town. My elderly neighbor has a similar concern. He doesn't always have the mobility to go outside and pick up the thing, and if I'm not in town to pick it up for him, he worries that it may attract a burglar. I even found one in the roof gutter of my house a few weeks ago!

I have called and emailed the newspaper several times requesting that they stop putting these things in my yard. No luck. I either get no response or they say "we'll take you off the list" but they never do.

Has anyone had luck stopping delivery of these unwanted junk papers? I am considering approaching my town council and requesting that they pass an ordinance that basically makes the delivery of any unsolicited/unwanted papers/ads illegal. I don't see how their current practice isn't considered some form of littering.
I called the distributor of one of those papers about 4 years ago. Other than 1 slip, I haven't seen one since.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Faith20879 wrote:
I love reading up the news and gossips in my local Gazettes which was delivered free within the muni line. I use to live in a condo. The last few months I lived there, the paper mysteriously stopped coming. I called the city to complain and they said someone in my building had requested a stop because it was causing littering issue in the building. The city said I would have to get all 16 units' consent to resume the service. I was about to move so I didn't bother.

Now I am in a house and still enjoy reading the junk papers. I even read ads, believe it or not.

Faith
Where I live, there is a rack of free publications at the exit to some grocery stores. You can stock up to your heart's content if there's a store like that in your area.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

ResearchMed wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:
We try to be on-and-off-year-round "slobs", I guess.
This was the sole reason I signed up for X (whatever # it was) of weeks free Wall Street Journal. I take them in when I come home from work most days, but occasionally leave it in the driveway until a couple build up. When I take trips, hopefully nobody thinks anything is different.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

^Exactly what threat are you and ResearchMed trying to defend against? A bored teen who lives in your neighborhood?

Many break-ins are opportunistic strikes. Seeing a couple of uncollected newspapers is an inducement, not a deterrent. A typical drug addict is not going to be sizing up the place over a period of weeks.

In any case, advance planning is not in their repertoire.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I know what you mean. We receive a few junk papers and they go straight to the circular file!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Save up 2-3 months worth of papers.

Drive past the newspapers head quarters and look for the nicest car.

Toss news papers in the parking spot of said nicest car with a letter to quit delivery on a post made out of old newspapers.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

This is the letter I sent:

"In 2010 I complained to you about unwanted promotional newspapers in plastic bags being thrown on my property. It took three phone calls and a letter to get it to stop.

All was fine until yesterday. Since then, two "free" copies of the Gazette in your plastic bags have been thrown into my driveway, one yesterday and one today.

I insist that you stop this practice immediately.

You are in violation of .... City Ordinance 272-3:

"No person shall put or place or cause to be put or placed in any street, lane, common, park, court, alley or other public place or on any private property in this City any dirt, filth, ashes, garbage, litter or rubbish of any description; or throw or distribute, or cause to be thrown or distributed therein, any playbill, poster, notice, advertisement or printed paper of any description or any advertising appliance or medium, excepting newspapers distributed to purchasers, except at such times as the Department of Public Works may request that any or all of the aforementioned articles be so deposited for removal by it as a part of its regular rubbish removal program. Violation of this section shall be punishable as set forth in Chapter40, Enforcement."

I am NOT a purchaser.

If it persists beyond tomorrow (Friday April 15), I will take the following actions:

1. I will complain every time a violation occurs to the ... city engineer and code enforcement officer.

2. I will contact the advertisers in your paper and inform them of my dissatisfaction.

To avoid further action, please make sure no more newspapers are thrown on my property.

(signed with name, address, phone number)."

This letter worked. I got an email response the next morning stating that they would no longer deliver the papers to my home.

Even if your city doesn't have a city ordinance such as this, in desperation you might try copying the letter above and sending it. Who knows? The bluff might work.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

House Blend wrote:^Exactly what threat are you and ResearchMed trying to defend against? A bored teen who lives in your neighborhood?

Many break-ins are opportunistic strikes. Seeing a couple of uncollected newspapers is an inducement, not a deterrent. A typical drug addict is not going to be sizing up the place over a period of weeks.

+1

Whenever I am out of town I try to make sure that my neighbors know.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

House Blend wrote:^Exactly what threat are you and ResearchMed trying to defend against? A bored teen who lives in your neighborhood?

exactly. if someone is gonna rob ya in 2 weeks, leaving out newspapers today isn't gonna change a thing.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

When I lived in the Bay Area, the SF Examiner threw junk papers in my driveway. After asking them a few times to stop, which was a waste of time, I researched our city ordinance and found one that prohibited this (by my interpretation). So I filed a complaint with the city. Here is the reply I received from the assistant city attorney:

"I have received a copy of your email expressing your concern about the SF Examiner leaving unsolicited newspapers at your home and seeking advise regarding interpreting (city ordinance). There are a number of court cases addressing efforts by local government to prohibit this type of activity with ordinances similar to the once you cite. In most cases, local laws aimed at curbing this activity have been struck down as being in conflict with the first amendment rights of the businesses distributing the materials. As such, the City is not currently enforcing the ordinance you cite. However, a cursory review of these cases suggests there may be some room to regulate in a lawful manner. This office will explore this area and will present its findings to the City Council when our research is completed. The Council will then decide whether adopting such an ordinance would be appropriate. "

It eventually stopped, but not sure if that was as a result of my letter or if they just ran out of money.

I have since moved to another city/state and have on two or three occasions found an unsolicited "special advertising edition" of our local paper in my front yard,

If this continues, I will collect them, feed them through my shredder, and eventually return them to the newspaper offices.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Just wait out front on the day they come by with a shotgun on your lap and a large sign saying "Leave free newspapers on my driveway at your own risk."
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Snow. Unwanted newspapers jamming snowblower auger. Multiple phone calls to stop. No success.

Last newspaper twisted an auger in half. Angry letter promised legal action if any more received.

Shortened and paraphrased letter. "You've ignored multiple phone calls to stop. Your leaving unwanted newspapers is causing me financial harm. Any more and the harm is deemed intentional. Your agent's signature on the "signature receipt required" envelope is your acknowledgment and acceptance of the following. You have intentionally caused me $1K harm, plus legal expenses, for each unwanted product left at my home. You agree to pay me the amount owed within 30-days or, failing in that, you agree to pay an escalated amount."

Letter and signature receipt filed away. If another newspaper is received, my intention is to turn both over to the sleaziest late-night-TV-advertising ambulance chaser.

So far, so good, no newspapers in years. (Knock wood.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

stan1 wrote:It's a good way to get to know your neighbors: recycle their newspapers when they are gone and they will recycle yours when you are gone.
+1

When a neighbor on my mom's street moved before her house was sold, I always picked up the free papers in her driveway. I actually appreciate getting the bags which I use for cat litter scooping. Plus, since I no longer get the daily paper I like the local news about retailers coming and going.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Related: My son subscribes to the WSJ as a college student. They INSIST on delivering a paper copy, even though we don't want it. I suspect so they can tell advertisers "we have so many hard copies out daily" blah blah blah
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

In a situation such as this where calling doesn't get the correct answer, I have resorted to two methods. My preferred method is to call and formally register and complaint with the Better Business Bureau in my state. They then act as a mediator between me and the business and every single time, I have always gotten the problem solved to my satisfaction. All complaints to the BBB are public accessible online so in essence, it is public shaming. Which brings me to method two, public shaming. In a case like this newspaper which may or may not care to be seen as a business since they mostly advertise, I would write a letter to the editor detailing the problem and threatening to boycott everyone who advertises in said newspaper. Writing a comment on their corporate website is an excellent place to do this. I like to include pictures of the problem, i.e. a pile of plastic wrapped newspapers in my gutter, yard, driveway, etc. This isn't as effective as the BBB but I have gotten calls from upper management before apologizing and making things right.
corysold

Post by corysold »

This thread is enlightening as a paper carrier (of paid subscriptions, not the free ones).

My personal policy is if two papers haven't been picked up, I don't throw anymore until they are. I assume the customer is out of town and forgot to put a stop on the paper. Inevitably on occasion, the next day I will get a complaint that they missed the paper.

Now I know why, the whole thing was a decoy.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I complained to the paper at the number listed on the junk deliveries and they stopped -- at least for now.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

I don't think having a junk newspaper in your driveway for a few days is necessarily a sign that you're not home. If that were true, none of my neighbors would be in their homes more than 100 days a year.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Cindyjrn wrote:I don't think having a junk newspaper in your driveway for a few days is necessarily a sign that you're not home. If that were true, none of my neighbors would be in their homes more than 100 days a year.
It seems you live in different neighborhood than I. There is definitely a correlation between absent home owners and newspapers rotting in the front yard or driveway in my neighborhood.

My immediate neighbors and I look out for each other when we are on vacation. I regularly check their yards and front doors for papers and advertising hanging from the door nob.

I wonder if we could bill each other and then collect reimbursement from the offenders. Or maybe create a well-paid job for a neighborhood kid.

Along our highways are often signs threatening fines of hundreds of dollars for littering. This is no different. Don't litter on my property.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I've considered asking all my neighbors to save their papers until we get enough to fill a large dump truck. Then hiring a truck to dump them at the front door of the publisher.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Return to Sender"?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

corysold wrote:This thread is enlightening as a paper carrier (of paid subscriptions, not the free ones).

My personal policy is if two papers haven't been picked up, I don't throw anymore until they are. I assume the customer is out of town and forgot to put a stop on the paper. Inevitably on occasion, the next day I will get a complaint that they missed the paper.

Now I know why, the whole thing was a decoy.
Decent policy. Decoy?

This problem is like old fashioned spam. Low cost of mass distribution, and incentives to drive numbers. I've had multiple duplicate copies of same advertisement that I suspect were intentional errors as a way to drum up numbers. Why deliver to 5 houses when you can deliver 5 copies to one house? The cost to spread this stuff is fractions of a penny, and they only need a minuscule return to make it worthwhile for them to do. I even heard of deliver guys dumping half their deliveries in a dumpster, essentially doubling their salary (probably minimum wage or less). Turnover in these jobs is very high.

One time, I was successful in removing my name from a mailing list, but all that did was for a year or two, I received my neighbors copy and he the next. Basically every delivery was offset by one, even though it was addressed. It's less trouble to just dump it in the recycling bin than trying to find the source. I've thought about putting a recycling bin right in front of my door and putting a note asking them to deposit it directly. Alternatively, I've considered projects like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-ne ... into-logs/
midareff

Post by midareff »

Call the paper and complain that you did not receive your copy and you want the distributor to bring one back to you immediately. When he gets there slip him a couple of $$ and ask him not to deliver to you anymore.
leonard

Post by leonard »

I called the publisher. Had to do it twice. But, they did in fact stop. And, have stopped for 6-7 years.

I think people driving around the neighborhood throwing stuff in my driveway are LITTERERS - and should be charged under the local law for littering. It should be legal and enforced.
Last edited by leonard on Mon May 02, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

I've recently been embroiled in a war with the Wall Street Journal. It is a wonderful publication, although expensive, and I had taken advantage of a special discount deal to have the paper delivered + the digital version over a year ago. When the deal ended, for some reason the digital version continues to be available to me. Good!

The bad... a few weeks ago the paper version started showing up in my driveway every morning. I called the WSJ customer service number to complain and ask that it be stopped. They correctly told me I was not a subscriber. I told them they were delivering the paper every morning and I was about to go off on a several-week trip and did not want newspapers accumulating in my driveway to alert potential robbers that the house was empty.

I ended up calling in every day for 9 days. They promised all kinds of things to stop the paper but since I was not a current subscriber their options were limited. :annoyed In the end, I just left and tried not to worry about it. When I got home there were about 7 newspapers in my front yard. Apparently whoever makes the deliveries finally got the message. And some nice neighbor threw them all off of the driveway and to the side of the property where they weren't so noticeable. :D

But I still have access to the digital version for free! :beer I wonder how long this will work?
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

You have to call and write the newspaper delivery person for your street directly. Tell them of your plight. Describe your house in great detail and give your address. If they don't stop, call them at home weekly until they do.
Topic Author
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I'm the OP. About 8 months ago, the newspaper randomly stopped delivering these to my entire neighborhood. Happened about 2 weeks after a large group of people angrily complained at a town council meeting and demanded an ordinance be passed. The meeting happened to be attended by a reporter from that newspaper...
Loaded4th

Post by Loaded4th »

protagonist wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:27 pm This is the letter I sent:

"In 2010 I complained to you about unwanted promotional newspapers in plastic bags being thrown on my property. It took three phone calls and a letter to get it to stop.

All was fine until yesterday. Since then, two "free" copies of the Gazette in your plastic bags have been thrown into my driveway, one yesterday and one today.

I insist that you stop this practice immediately.

You are in violation of .... City Ordinance 272-3:

"No person shall put or place or cause to be put or placed in any street, lane, common, park, court, alley or other public place or on any private property in this City any dirt, filth, ashes, garbage, litter or rubbish of any description; or throw or distribute, or cause to be thrown or distributed therein, any playbill, poster, notice, advertisement or printed paper of any description or any advertising appliance or medium, excepting newspapers distributed to purchasers, except at such times as the Department of Public Works may request that any or all of the aforementioned articles be so deposited for removal by it as a part of its regular rubbish removal program. Violation of this section shall be punishable as set forth in Chapter40, Enforcement."

I am NOT a purchaser.

If it persists beyond tomorrow (Friday April 15), I will take the following actions:

1. I will complain every time a violation occurs to the ... city engineer and code enforcement officer.

2. I will contact the advertisers in your paper and inform them of my dissatisfaction.

To avoid further action, please make sure no more newspapers are thrown on my property.

(signed with name, address, phone number)."

This letter worked. I got an email response the next morning stating that they would no longer deliver the papers to my home.

Even if your city doesn't have a city ordinance such as this, in desperation you might try copying the letter above and sending it. Who knows? The bluff might work.

I inquired with our City as to restrictions on this and they replied with the following:

Constitutional protections on free speech preclude cities from prohibiting the distribution of flyers, circulars, newspapers or other forms of commercial or noncommercial advertisement.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that government can’t prohibit the distribution of literature just because it might cause litter. As recently as 2009, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against an Orange County City’s code aimed at leaflet litter because it hampered free speech.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I get great joy in throwing it like an NFL spike in the trash can! I suggest you do the same.
walker46

Post by walker46 »

Around here apparently whoever it is that is paid to deliver them doesn’t like them either. When I go to recycle my real newspapers at a nearby church the recycle bin is usually half filled with unopened bundles of the junk newspapers and we haven’t been bothered by anyone actually delivering one in years.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

House Blend wrote: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:43 pm ^Exactly what threat are you and ResearchMed trying to defend against? A bored teen who lives in your neighborhood?

My thoughts were the same. I wouldn’t think your typical burglar is sizing up your home for weeks at a time and creating a daily log of which room lights are on and performing regressions on number of people in house vs number of papers in driveway. It seems like it would create a danger. Burglar sees pile of papers in driveway and breaks in when occupants are there then you have a home invasion vs a simple burglary.
Dyloot

Post by Dyloot »

My first career was in journalism, and I once worked for a newspaper that delivered copies free to everyone--whether they liked it or not.

We'd get requests to stop, and the publisher would attempt to make the papers stop. But the company we hired to distribute the paper didn't have a system that was very good at removing homes from the route. As someone mentioned prior, these papers aren't being delivered to specific addresses--they're just being tossed on every driveway.

Even if a delivery person learned not to toss the paper on a specific driveway, employee turnover would lead to a new delivery person... that sometimes caused problems.

As an employee of the company, I remember looking at some driveways that had a half dozen rotting newspapers on one side of the driveway and wondering why the delivery guys still tossed 'em there. Clearly, they were unwanted.

So, what would I do to make them stop? I'd find someone in distribution and talk it out with them. Ask them their challenge, and politely ask if there was a way to overcome this challenge.

Or, you could hang a sign that says NO DELIVERY OF NEWSPAPER in big, bold letters. Or, you could get up early and intercept the delivery person and plead your case.

It's a tough one. I routinely toss out the throw-away paper on my driveway. Could I fix it? Maybe. But I get the challenge, and because of it have never tried.