I need a new coffee maker, any recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pennstater2005

I need a new coffee maker, any recommendations?

Post by pennstater2005 »

My Bunn just died after 10 years of use and they don't make the part I need for it anymore. I'm looking for recommendations on a new coffee maker. I don't want a Keurig, that's out. I want an auto drip, preferably something fast like the Bunn if that exists. Any ideas?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
chaz

Re: I need a new coffee maker, any recommendations?

Post by chaz »

I like my Krups.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
texasred

Post by texasred »

I would go with a Bunn again. I have the stainless steel carafe. Stay away from the velocity brew.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My Remington iCoffee has replaced every other coffee maker I've used. It can make very strong but smooth coffee, just the way I like it. Takes coarse coffee (what you would use in a French press).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

It isn't what you asked for, but I loves me my Melitta cone manual drip brewer for more than a quarter century now.
PJW
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

I use one of those $10 coffee makers from WalMart.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:It isn't what you asked for, but I loves me my Melitta cone manual drip brewer for more than a quarter century now.
PJW
So with this you just pour the hot water over the grounds? Do you microwave the water to get it hot?

HardKnocker,

Thanks but I'm using one of those now as a temporary fix :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

:happy Based on past threads, coffee is somewhat more controversial than market timing, religion, politics or sex with hookers. :D

I'm just not going there anymore :beer
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Professor Emeritus wrote::happy Based on past threads, coffee is somewhat more controversial than market timing, religion, politics or sex with hookers. :D

Awww....come on, please :P
CABob

Post by CABob »

Ten years with a Bunn sounds good to me. I've used Bunn makers at home and some at work for probably 25 years and have been happy with them. It sounds as though you have also been happy with the Bunn, so why not stick with it?
Bob
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It's wretchly expensive and I had to replace the wretchedly expensive thermal carafe after about 5 years, but apart from that my Technivorm Moccamaster has been completely satisfactory. I used to use expensive Gevalia Stockholm Roast brewed in a Mr. Coffee. Now I use cheap Folger's Classic brewed in the Technivorm and I am convinced it tastes better. And better than anything I've tasted so far out of a Keurig K-cup machine.

I suspect that the Technivorm isn't actually any better than just using a plastic cone and pouring the water in by hand, but it probably takes practice to get a consistent technique.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Kuerig Platinum. Use the little plastic cups to start a mini seed garden.

I like 1 or 2 cups of good coffee each day. I am not a 2-3 pot guy. So the Kuerig works great. I do wish the cups would be a bit easier to recycle.

I could never replicate at home with a drip or French press the taste of coffee I like.
Phineas J. Whoopee

pennstater2005 wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:It isn't what you asked for, but I loves me my Melitta cone manual drip brewer for more than a quarter century now.
PJW
So with this you just pour the hot water over the grounds? Do you microwave the water to get it hot?
The water doesn't care how it gets hot. I personally use a whistling kettle on the stove.

If you want really good coffee follow the instructions and let the water rest about a minute after boiling so it can cool down to optimal temperature, put in just enough to moisten the grounds, give that half a minute or so, then fill 'er up.

By buying a really fine grind I get plenty-strong coffee using one heaping tablespoon per 10-oz mug. Cafe Bustelo is my favorite. It's about $4 a pound here when on sale in a foil pack (as opposed to the cans, which are almost a dollar more on sale).

Including the paper filter, grounds and energy it's less than fifteen cents a cup. I'm not including depreciation on the piece of plastic I can't have paid more than a dollar or so for way back when. They cost several now. They've no moving parts and no heating elements to break. Larger ones than the one-serving type are available. I like my coffee freshly brewed, not warmed over. Families who stay together by drinking coffee together could get several of the single-cup type for more flexibility, or get a largish one.

Against the culture of this forum as it may be to say so, simplest is best.

Them what don't like it are free not to get one. :wink:

PJW
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I have the Bunn velocity brew. Purchased last fall through Amazon prime for $90. Works great and would recommend.
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

CABob wrote:Ten years with a Bunn sounds good to me. I've used Bunn makers at home and some at work for probably 25 years and have been happy with them. It sounds as though you have also been happy with the Bunn, so why not stick with it?
I may stick with it. I have a Bunn Gr10-W which evidently was recalled quite a long time ago. I never knew. When I called Bunn for the replacement part she said they no longer had that part due to some regulation thing. That must've been what she was talking about. She emailed me a $40 coupon off any coffee maker from Bunns website. I'm just looking for other ideas in case I don't go the Bunn route.
nisiprius wrote:It's wretchly expensive and I had to replace the wretchedly expensive thermal carafe after about 5 years, but apart from that my Technivorm Moccamaster has been completely satisfactory. I used to use expensive Gevalia Stockholm Roast brewed in a Mr. Coffee. Now I use cheap Folger's Classic brewed in the Technivorm and I am convinced it tastes better. And better than anything I've tasted so far out of a Keurig K-cup machine.

I suspect that the Technivorm isn't actually any better than just using a plastic cone and pouring the water in by hand, but it probably takes practice to get a consistent technique.
That is expensive! $299 on Amazon. I'll give it a look. It looks pretty big though. Although the Bunn is rather big as well.
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
PJW
The water doesn't care how it gets hot. I personally use a whistling kettle on the stove.

If you want really good coffee follow the instructions and let the water rest about a minute after boiling so it can cool down to optimal temperature, put in just enough to moisten the grounds, give that half a minute or so, then fill 'er up.

By buying a really fine grind I get plenty-strong coffee using one heaping tablespoon per 10-oz mug. Cafe Bustelo is my favorite. It's about $4 a pound here when on sale in a foil pack (as opposed to the cans, which are almost a dollar more on sale).

Including the paper filter, grounds and energy it's less than fifteen cents a cup. I'm not including depreciation on the piece of plastic I can't have paid more than a dollar or so for way back when. They cost several now. They've no moving parts and no heating elements to break. Larger ones than the one-serving type are available. I like my coffee freshly brewed, not warmed over. Families who stay together by drinking coffee together could get several of the single-cup type for more flexibility, or get a largish one.

Against the culture of this forum as it may be to say so, simplest is best.

Them what don't like it are free not to get one. :wink:

PJW
I'm thinking seriously about this. I like the idea of not having another giant coffee maker on my countertop. I only drink 1-2 cups a day but the wife drinks more so I'm torn.
ogd

Post by ogd »

I'll toss another suggestion on the higher end of the spectrum, the Breville YouBrew. $250 (steep), but it's gorgeous and built like a tank. In terms of features, it lets the water sit with the coffee for a couple of minutes like the cone-wielding baristas (and PJW, I suppose); it can do one cup at a time and it has a built in burr grinder. This last feature is rare and what eventually lead me to this machine, nothing cheaper cut it. A good grinder would cost you some of that $250 anyway and it's more messy.

It's not fast because of that seeping time, about 5 mins for a cup. But the result does rival the coffee shops that brew to order.

P.S.: If you get one from Amazon, consider using the link on the forum main page to support this .org.
Phineas J. Whoopee

pennstater2005 wrote:...
I'm thinking seriously about this. I like the idea of not having another giant coffee maker on my countertop. I only drink 1-2 cups a day but the wife drinks more so I'm torn.
Get two. When you both want coffee at the same time heat enough water for two cups / mugs / beakers / demitasse or whatever you like to use. When only one wants coffee only heat enough water for one. In my extended family (which on my mother's side, excepting my immediate poor-as-church-mice church mice ancestors, always used very expensive coffee makers - whenever a new technology came out they'd happily buy it and toss the old - it's how they arranged a pecking order among themselves) heating water in a kettle (for tea or whatever) always meant filling it most of the way full. Once I became, what reasonably neutral term can I use here, environmentally enlightened, it immediately occurred to me to use the cup I plan to drink from to measure out the water to put in the kettle.

Whether you choose these or not I'm glad to have expanded coffee brewing horizons.

Besides, if you buy it and don't like it, how much money will have you risked?

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 »

If you're going to buy a coffeemaker, buy one that gets it to the right temperature.

The Specialized Coffee Brewers of America recommends three home brewers that meet their standards:

•Technivorm Moccamaster
•Bunn HG Home Brewer
•Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with glass or thermal carafe

Of these, I have the Bonavita and love it. It's one of my favorite purchases, and I'd never go back to the Mr. Coffee, Keurig, or Krups I've had in the past. It's really that much better. I haven't personally used the others on this list.

I chose the Bonavita because it's a lot less expesive than the Technivorum and generally had better reviews than the Bunn on Amazon. You can homebrew and do just as well with the cone filters, but to get it just right, you need to have the water at the right temperature and pour some pretty hot water. I opted to pay a bit more for letting the brewer handle it for me; I rush enough, as is.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

There are actually only three consumer-grade automatic coffee makers that meet the standards of the Specialty Coffee Association of America which evaluates coffee makers based on temperature, brewing time, and quality. https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Technivorm Mocamaster (various models) which cost around $300
Bonavita BV1800 which costs about $170:
Bunn HG Home Brewer which costs about $80

I have the Bonavita BV1800 and have been using it for the past year. I highly recommend it. If you look on Amazon there are over 1300 reviews for this model, nearly all of them rave reviews. Extremely simple machine. You have to pull the filter basket off and replace it with the carafe lid when the brewing is done but otherwise it is brainless. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800TH ... B005YQZNO8
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Wow...jinx. Cmartel2 and I just posted the exact same post at the exact same time.
Phineas J. Whoopee

One more thing - in this particular case, going for the major brand name Melitta is worth it, even though it's about 50% more expensive (around $6, rather than $4). The principal knock-off brand (any patent must have expired long ago) has too many holes in the bottom, letting the coffee run out too fast, which means you need to put in a lot more grounds to get the same result. On a TCO basis (Total Cost of Ownership, for any people here who aren't large-organization budget geeks) you do better with the original.

Sometimes it's worth it to pay more for quality; even as much as $2 more.

PJW
gregw

Post by gregw »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:...
Get two. When you both want coffee at the same time heat enough water for two cups / mugs / beakers / demitasse or whatever you like to use. When only one wants coffee only heat enough water for one. In my extended family (which on my mother's side always used very expensive coffee makers - whenever a new technology came out they'd happily buy it and toss the old) heating water in a kettle (for tea or whatever) always meant filling it most of the way full. Once I became, what reasonably neutral term can I use here, environmentally enlightened, it immediately occurred to me to use the cup I plan to drink from to measure out the water to put in the kettle.

Whether you choose these or not I'm glad to have expanded coffee brewing horizons.

Besides, if you buy it and don't like it, how much money will have you risked?

PJW
I have a couple of single-cup Melittas that work great, but I also have a large #6 size that I use daily to brew directly into a carafe to make mine & my wife's at the same time. I got mine from Sweet Maria's, but it looks like Amazon has a similar one (may be the same). It works great for us--I drink mine immediately but she likes to wait & drink hers over time (but doesn't want to have to make it herself). It's large enough to take a #6 size filter, but for just the two of us I use a #4 & it works great.
GregV

Post by GregV »

I like the Cuisinart Grind and Brew. Put whole beans in the hopper and the appliance does the rest. It will make from a couple of cups to an entire pot. I've had a few different models through the years...they've held up well and (for my taste) make great coffee. One disadvantage is a bit more cleanup than some of the other choices.

Coffee's important...best of luck on your selection.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

ogd wrote:I'll toss another suggestion on the higher end of the spectrum, the Breville YouBrew. $250 (steep), but it's gorgeous and built like a tank. In terms of features, it lets the water sit with the coffee for a couple of minutes like the cone-wielding baristas (and PJW, I suppose); it can do one cup at a time and it has a built in burr grinder. This last feature is rare and what eventually lead me to this machine, nothing cheaper cut it. A good grinder would cost you some of that $250 anyway and it's more messy.

It's not fast because of that seeping time, about 5 mins for a cup. But the result does rival the coffee shops that brew to order.

P.S.: If you get one from Amazon, consider using the link on the forum main page to support this .org.
Some bad reviews on that product on William-Sonoma!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... al-carafe/
jainn

Post by jainn »

Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with thermal carafe.

http://www.bonavitaworld.com/products/cm2.asp

Excellent!!
ogd

Post by ogd »

lightheir wrote: Some bad reviews on that product on William-Sonoma!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... al-carafe/
Yes, indeed. Well, I'm very happy with mine and the Amazon reviews are much better. Maybe WS shoppers are less likely to leave good reviews. But point taken.
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

CMartel2 wrote:If you're going to buy a coffeemaker, buy one that gets it to the right temperature.

The Specialized Coffee Brewers of America recommends three home brewers that meet their standards:

•Technivorm Moccamaster
•Bunn HG Home Brewer
•Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with glass or thermal carafe

Of these, I have the Bonavita and love it. It's one of my favorite purchases, and I'd never go back to the Mr. Coffee, Keurig, or Krups I've had in the past. It's really that much better. I haven't personally used the others on this list.

I chose the Bonavita because it's a lot less expesive than the Technivorum and generally had better reviews than the Bunn on Amazon. You can homebrew and do just as well with the cone filters, but to get it just right, you need to have the water at the right temperature and pour some pretty hot water. I opted to pay a bit more for letting the brewer handle it for me; I rush enough, as is.
Good info. The Bunn does not get very good reviews. Seems like possibly a design flaw or something, a lot of the same complaints. The Bonavita had been mentioned here a few times now and seems to get great reviews. I like the look of it. It's a little pricey though.
GregV wrote:I like the Cuisinart Grind and Brew. Put whole beans in the hopper and the appliance does the rest. It will make from a couple of cups to an entire pot. I've had a few different models through the years...they've held up well and (for my taste) make great coffee. One disadvantage is a bit more cleanup than some of the other choices.

Coffee's important...best of luck on your selection.
Does the Cuisinart Grind and Brew heat the water to 200 degrees? It seems as though the general consensus is that between 195-205 is the optimal temperature for extracting the best flavor from the coffee.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Stick with the Bunn. That's what I use. Can't say off the top of my head which model, but the actual pot has a terribly designed spout. Very hard to pour without spilling, but I've heard the new models fixed that issue.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

pennstater2005 wrote: I don't want a Keurig, that's out. I want an auto drip, preferably something fast like the Bunn if that exists. Any ideas?
pennstater:

Why is a Keurig "out?"

What is the advantage of an "auto drip?"

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote: I don't want a Keurig, that's out. I want an auto drip, preferably something fast like the Bunn if that exists. Any ideas?
pennstater:

Why is a Keurig "out?"

What is the advantage of an "auto drip?"

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
K cups are more expensive. Keurigs don't heat the water anywhere near the 200 degrees F for proper brewing temperature for coffee. The spray head in the Keurig is too small and doesn't wet all the coffee grounds effectively wasting it. And I've never really liked coffee from the Keurig. I have tried it.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Some of the best coffee I ever had was campfire coffee. You can also make it at home.

Fill a pot with 6 cups of water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.

Pour 3 1/2 tbls of ground coffee into the water. Let steep for a few minutes.

Pour a teaspoon of cold water into the pot to settle the grounds.

Ladle out the coffee and drink.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Toons

Post by Toons »

It is not a Bunn but I purchased this Hamilton Beach last July from Amazon,,,it has been outstanding. :happy
Check out the reviews while you are at it.It was a Prime offer when I purchased it ,shipping cost looks too high now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041A ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Taylor Larimore

Thank you.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Pennstater:

Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
GregV

Post by GregV »

Don't know if the Cuisinart heats the water to 200 degrees...all I can say is it's hot and flavorful enough for me. Lots of interesting suggestions in the thread. If shopping is really half the fun, you should have a great time choosing your appliance.
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Re: Thank you.

Post by pennstater2005 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Pennstater:

Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes
Taylor
No problem. I guess it's not so much the auto drip as it is the speed of the brewing process that I'm looking for. I don't know if any other coffee makers brew in the 3 minutes that the Bunn coffee makers do. Keurigs are popular for a reason, just not what I'm looking for.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

Another vote here for a Melitta. You'll need the cone and glass carafe, of course, though a Mason jar can replace the carafe in a pinch. I also use a whistling teakettle. The third component to the system is a thermal carafe. You can get a fine one for 20 or 30 bucks new, or haunt your favorite thrift store for one of those flap-top ones that look like they were swiped from an IHOP.

Oh yeah, filters. I get the brown ones from Whole Foods -- probably nets out to 4 cents a filter. After brewing you can compost the grounds and filter.

And the Capresso grinder for about $50. I think that's about it.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
carolg

Post by carolg »

Being coffee snobs and all, we use the Capresso 4-Cup Espresso and Cappuccino Machine.
It's easy, fast, inexpensive and makes a terrific expresso that tastes as good as the ones from the expensive machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-303-01-E ... roduct_top
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

The best coffee make I have owned is a Jura.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

A co worker recently introduced me to Bialetti. I wish I had known about this years ago. My coffee is much more flavorful and the mokka is only $20+.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CF3Q6?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

bloom2708 wrote:Kuerig Platinum. Use the little plastic cups to start a mini seed garden.

I like 1 or 2 cups of good coffee each day. I am not a 2-3 pot guy. So the Kuerig works great. I do wish the cups would be a bit easier to recycle.

I could never replicate at home with a drip or French press the taste of coffee I like.
Depending on how strong you like your coffee, the Keurig cups are reusable. My husband uses them twice and I get a third use out of them. We open the lid take the cup out and turn it so the new hole is in a different place.
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

pennstater2005 wrote:
K cups are more expensive. Keurigs don't heat the water anywhere near the 200 degrees F for proper brewing temperature for coffee. The spray head in the Keurig is too small and doesn't wet all the coffee grounds effectively wasting it. And I've never really liked coffee from the Keurig. I have tried it.
Not trying to convince you, but we never pay more than 0.44 per cup and often less, and we use the cups more than once. It was one of my husband's favorite Christmas presents. Having said that, I would never buy one for myself. It's still cheaper to go with regular coffee pot and I have a small, cheap Walmart brand that works good.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

If you plan to grind your own beans, I recommend a separate grinder from the coffee maker. I bought a Cuisinart all-in-one grinder/brewer. Problem is that cleanup is a major hassle. I now use my separate grinder and continue to use the Cuisinart for brewing only.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Can't believe no one has suggested a Bialetti moka.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express- ... B000CNY6UK
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

We have had good luck with our Wolfgang Puck coffee maker that we purchased at Sam's Club back when we had membership. If I recall it was on sale for about 35 dollars.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
BogleTurtle

Post by BogleTurtle »

CFM300 wrote:Can't believe no one has suggested a Bialetti moka.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express- ... B000CNY6UK
:-) they did three posts ago.

I also have a bialetti stove top and like it, that is what I grew up with. A year or two ago I got a Jura Capresso Impressa F7 on craigslist for just $150 and have been in love with it since. They are pricey new though.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Hi,

I had tried and experimented many many coffee makers over 20+ years.

1) Mellita -> get the 2 cups version and you can make a fresh cup of coffee quickly instead of letting it sit and get old.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/aeropr ... FP328A0020

2) Aeropress -> Makes very good coffee in about 3 minutes. I use the reverse french press method with this coffee. The only problem is this coffee maker use about 3 times more coffee than typical coffee maker.

3) Toddy Coffeemaker -> Cold water brewing process and create low acid coffee concentrate that you keep on refrigerator. Most efficient coffee maker. You mix hot water with the coffee concentrate when you drink.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Professor Emeritus wrote::happy Based on past threads, coffee is somewhat more controversial than market timing, religion, politics or sex with hookers. :D

Not even the hookers?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still looking through the responses and researching suggestions.
Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores »

Two inexpensive brands that don't clog with our very hard water (given occasional vinegar rinses) are Braun and Sunbeam.
Sunbeam is a lot of coffeemaker for little money (at Target).

I like our Cuisinart's small flap on the spout. (Screens insects at the cottage.)