Passport validity: Do I need at least 6 months?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Passport validity: Do I need at least 6 months?

Post by VictoriaF »

My passport will expire in February 2015. In July-August 2014, I will be traveling to Switzerland (on Aeroflot with plane changes in Moscow), and at the time of my return, my passport will still have more than 6 months before its expiration. In September 2014, I will be traveling to the U.K., and that will be about 5 months before the passport expiration.

Passport renewal takes 4-6 weeks plus time for delivery. I can start the process now and get the passport well before my July trip. Or I can wait until I return from the UK.

Is there a reason to do it now? From searching the web, it appears that the U.K. government only wants to ensure that my passport does not expire while I am there, but the airlines tend to impose this 6-months expiration limit. Please comment.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
ResearchMed

Re: Passport validity: Do I need at least 6 months?

Post by ResearchMed »

Many places have the passport requirement that it must be valid for at least 6 months after your planned departure.

Why not get it done now, when you have ample time, so that you have the convenience of flexibility in your travel plans later this year.

RM
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My passport was renewed in 7 days by mail. It was a US passport.

Yes, you need at least 6 months. I've had people miss conferences because they thought their unexpired passport would work. It didn't.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ResearchMed wrote:Many places have the passport requirement that it must be valid for at least 6 months after your planned departure.

Why not get it done now, when you have ample time, so that you have the convenience of flexibility in your travel plans later this year.

RM
I am overwhelmed with numerous things I have to do now and would rather not add another one to the list. I will start the passport process only if it's necessary. Right now, it still has 10 months of life, and I am hoping that travel between the U.S. to the U.K. is more flexible than between other countries.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

livesoft wrote:My passport was renewed in 7 days by mail. It was a US passport.
The State Department web site has some provisions for expedited processing at the additional cost of $60. Otherwise, they state it takes 4-6 weeks. I have a U.S. passport in good standing.
livesoft wrote:Yes, you need at least 6 months. I've had people miss conferences because they thought their unexpired passport would work. It didn't.
I was afraid that this could be the case. Thanks,

Victoria

P.S. I wonder if there is a surge in the passport renewal applications in April-June before the summer travel. Right now is probably a period of the longest processing delays.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Last year, in a flight from Tel Aviv to Los Angeles, I was not allowed to board because my passport expired in less than 6 months. I rushed to the consulate in the center of the city, and a considerate cost, I was able to have it renewed over night. Luckily Air France has daily flights, but if I remember, I was asked to pay a charge for missing the flight. Bottom line: do not take the risk!
Erwin
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

mpt follower wrote:Last year, in a flight from Tel Aviv to Los Angeles, I was not allowed to board because my passport expired in less than 6 months. I rushed to the consulate in the center of the city, and a considerate cost, I was able to have it renewed over night. Luckily Air France has daily flights, but if I remember, I was asked to pay a charge for missing the flight. Bottom line: do not take the risk!
Wow, his was horrible! Assuming that you were returning home, there was no (logical) reason to detain you.

Victoria
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

VictoriaF wrote:P.S. I wonder if there is a surge in the passport renewal applications in April-June before the summer travel. Right now is probably a period of the longest processing delays.
I think the passport web site has boilerplate language to scare people into getting it done sooner, to pay the expedited fee, and to avoid blame if something happens. My mail-in renewal was done the first week of May. The year before, my kids had their passports renewed in about 2 weeks.

There is a big difference between getting a new passport and just renewing an old one.

As an aside, one feels like a total foreign travel newbie when handing over a bald passport versus when one was used to a passport with multiple stamps on every page. The immigration folks ask different questions, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Even if you have it planned out OK there is always a chance that your flight will be diverted because of weather or mechanical problems and you could end up some place where it is an issue.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

VictoriaF wrote:
Is there a reason to do it now? From searching the web, it appears that the U.K. government only wants to ensure that my passport does not expire while I am there, but the airlines tend to impose this 6-months expiration limit. Please comment.

Victoria
No. Passports cost big bucks, so maximize the one you've got and don't give Uncle Sam free money. If paranoid, print out the UK govt guidelines and present to airline personnel if you get grief. I'm pretty sure you will be OK, though. The six-month expiration limit is clearly spelled out in their systems for those countries demanding it.
BL

Post by BL »

It is pretty simple to renew by mail. You need a properly sized picture, your current PP, and filled in form available here:
http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor ... renew.html

At about $11/year, I wouldn't worry about wasting money. I also bought the passbook card which I carry in case I should ever decide to cross the border by car at some spontaneous moment.
Last edited by BL on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I just flew to the Dominican Republic last week and my passport expires May 15. I had the paperwork to mail it in as soon as I got back. Sadly, I forgot to take it out of my jeans when I did my wash when I got home and it came out perfectly legible, but has a crease and no longer sits flat. Worried that it would be "damaged or mutilated" and not accepted by mail, I made an appoint to take it in personally. My appointment is May 10th! Seems there is a LONG wait for in-person, non-expediated renewals in my area.

That said, I did only go to the DR on a non-stop flight.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

It's annoying but just do it, I've seen people get turned away traveling between closely allied NATO countries over the issue either by the airlines or by customs/border control.

Flying from SFO to Mexico, my SigOther had an issue once where United checkin picked a fight over 1 day on the end of the trip. Luckily, I had checked the issue and pointed out she was doing the math wrong and she backed down but we were close to being denied checkin/boarding.

Just get the passport renewed.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

P.S. You are safe: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/countrie ... 00788.html

And you can see here that the UK visa application form (which does not apply to you, but still governs entry requirements) does not indicate passport minimum validity: https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa/d ... st-provide
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

It's all about risk tolerance. I took the risk and left the US for the Schengen area when my passport had <6 months validity (a renewal did not happen as planned because of paperwork technicalities) and returned on <5 months validity, and did not encounter any trouble. YMMV, and your dice are in your own hands. :sharebeer
corner559

Post by corner559 »

Just get it done. And if you think you're going to cut it close, get it expedited.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

winglessangel31 wrote:It's all about risk tolerance. I took the risk and left the US for the Schengen area when my passport had <6 months validity (a renewal did not happen as planned because of paperwork technicalities) and returned on <5 months validity, and did not encounter any trouble. YMMV, and your dice are in your own hands. :sharebeer
You were not exactly risking much. Schengen-area countries (except UK) require only that your passport have 3 months'validity after you exit.
winglessangel31

dgdevil wrote:
winglessangel31 wrote:It's all about risk tolerance. I took the risk and left the US for the Schengen area when my passport had <6 months validity (a renewal did not happen as planned because of paperwork technicalities) and returned on <5 months validity, and did not encounter any trouble. YMMV, and your dice are in your own hands. :sharebeer
You were not exactly risking much. Schengen-area countries (except UK) require only that your passport have 3 months'validity after you exit.
I never said it was a US passport. :twisted: The risk was upon reentry...
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

winglessangel31 wrote: I never said it was a US passport. :twisted: The risk was upon reentry...
The rule covers ALL 3rd country nationals.
Last edited by dgdevil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winglessangel31

dgdevil wrote:
winglessangel31 wrote: I never said it was a US passport. :twisted: The risk was upon reentry...
The rule covers ALL 3rd party nationals.
The risk was the CBP officer not letting me enter this country.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

winglessangel31 wrote:
dgdevil wrote:
The rule covers ALL 3rd party nationals.
The risk was the CBP officer not letting me enter this country.
I empathize. USA does not have the 6-month rule either. A rare positive in the foreigner experience.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi Victoria,

The post office that I use takes applications for passports. It may cost a bit more doing it through the post office, but at least you will know everything is done correctly. Why put off getting it done?
Best Wishes, | Joe
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Case in point. My son's passport expires in Nov but we plan on traveling to Hawaii in Aug. We just sent in his application for renewal today before I read this tread.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Not even a close call -- get a new passport. And you can now get one with extra pages for same price, just click the box.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

livesoft wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:P.S. I wonder if there is a surge in the passport renewal applications in April-June before the summer travel. Right now is probably a period of the longest processing delays.
I think the passport web site has boilerplate language to scare people into getting it done sooner, to pay the expedited fee, and to avoid blame if something happens. My mail-in renewal was done the first week of May. The year before, my kids had their passports renewed in about 2 weeks.

There is a big difference between getting a new passport and just renewing an old one.

As an aside, one feels like a total foreign travel newbie when handing over a bald passport versus when one was used to a passport with multiple stamps on every page. The immigration folks ask different questions, too.
Victoria, you are greatly over-estimating how much most Americans plan ahead! The rush doesn't begin until at least mid-May :wink: Last time I was in your situation and would have been caught by the 6-month trap, I was traveling in early August. I mailed my stuff off in mid April as best I can recall. I had my new passport back in early May.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cherijoh wrote:Victoria, you are greatly over-estimating how much most Americans plan ahead!
cherijoh, This is an occupational hazard of hanging around the Bogleheads.
cherijoh wrote:The rush doesn't begin until at least mid-May :wink: Last time I was in your situation and would have been caught by the 6-month trap, I was traveling in early August. I mailed my stuff off in mid April as best I can recall. I had my new passport back in early May.

I am giving in to the peer pressure and will start my application shortly,

Victoria
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

VictoriaF wrote:
cherijoh wrote:Victoria, you are greatly over-estimating how much most Americans plan ahead!
cherijoh, This is an occupational hazard of hanging around the Bogleheads.
Too true! :happy
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

JMacDonald wrote:Hi Victoria,

The post office that I use takes applications for passports. It may cost a bit more doing it through the post office, but at least you will know everything is done correctly. Why put off getting it done?
Depending on where you live, going to the Post Office could be a nightmare. I just got my first US passport, so I had to go in person. The only one around me that doesn't require appointments is completely mobbed with people all the time. I didn't even bother joining the line until my third attempt, as it was just too long the first two times I went there. And then I stood in line for 3 and a half hours. Plenty of people behind me didn't get to the front of the line before the passport desk closed.

But the good thing is, it only took 3 weeks to arrive, instead of the 4-6 they promise. I would just renew now by mail if I were you.
Sarah
2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind »

Victoria,
For what it is worth, I probably wouldn't bother to send in your application in before your UK trip and instead would check in for my flight online to avoid any unnecessary scrutiny. You are not high on the list of folks they are concerned about (If questioned, just show your return ticket and the relevant UK guidelines). That said, when I renewed my passport in 2012 it took about 2 weeks door to door for regular service + extra pages. So if your plate is full, you may be able to get it done between trips.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

englishgirl wrote: Depending on where you live, going to the Post Office could be a nightmare. I just got my first US passport, so I had to go in person.
The Post Office is not the only place you can use. In the past I've used a County Clerk's office in a rural county. They had night hours once a week, with no appointment or wait, though I did let one person interrupt for 30 seconds to pay in a check. I also used the County Clerk to renew drivers licenses etc.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I've traveled to several countries with under 6 months remaining and never had any trouble. I believe most countries have a 3 month cut-off. My last renewal only took like 10 days, though, and that was during the government shutdown.

Relevant to your situation, last year I flew to London with less than 6 months left and didn't catch any flak.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

State Dept website recommends renewing passports as much as 9 months ahead of expiration date.
Mine expires the end of February and though I have no foreign travel booked at present, I'm sure I won't be able to survive the late fall without a Caribbean trip of some sort.
So I'll renew mine once I get to the 9 month window, to allow for the 4-6 weeks...
Attempted new signature...
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

Depends on where you are traveling. If you are traveling to EE or NATO countries you do nt need six months. So I would not hurry now if you do not want to. Also, while it says 4-6 weeks most times you get it in two weeks or so especially for renewals.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:State Dept website recommends renewing passports as much as 9 months ahead of expiration date.
Mine expires the end of February and though I have no foreign travel booked at present, I'm sure I won't be able to survive the late fall without a Caribbean trip of some sort.
So I'll renew mine once I get to the 9 month window, to allow for the 4-6 weeks...
We have very close, if not identical, expiration dates. Peer pressure builds up.

Victoria
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
englishgirl wrote: Depending on where you live, going to the Post Office could be a nightmare. I just got my first US passport, so I had to go in person.
The Post Office is not the only place you can use. In the past I've used a County Clerk's office in a rural county. They had night hours once a week, with no appointment or wait, though I did let one person interrupt for 30 seconds to pay in a check. I also used the County Clerk to renew drivers licenses etc.
I didn't say that I had to go to the Post Office in person. Just that I had to go in person. And I could have waited a couple months for an appointment at one of the other Post Offices. I went in March, and other people I was talking to in line said that the earliest available appointment anywhere else was the beginning of May. But, yes, I could have gone to the County Clerk's office. However, in my county they don't do passport processing at the main branch, which is generally too swamped with people doing other things. So I'd have had to drive at least 30 minutes to a branch office in another city and taken my chances there. I doubt the wait times would have been any shorter, but I could have gotten lucky, I suppose. Not all of us have the ability to get to rural locations easily.
Sarah
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just get it done, Victoria. Processing time is unpredictable, you just don't know--the last time we renewed ours a government shutdown hit while it was in process, for example. And regardless of what the rules or laws may or may not be, we all know that you are in a weak negotiating position in line at an airport. Heck, I've told the story of trying to get an emergency room to log me in without my giving them my social security number--and failing--and a gazillion people have told me "that was illegal" but life is what it is... and I think you are in a worse position in an airport.

I know lots of people have managed to get through uncomfortable and anxiety-provoking situations trying to cross borders, but I wouldn't want to be in a position where I know have the right to travel but the person in uniform at the airport says I don't... even if it's only an airline uniform.

I'm trying to remember just how we did it at the last time. The post office in our little suburban town is a passport office--not all post offices are but I don't think you need to go very far to find one that is--and the local CVS was able to take our passport pictures. Time is time, but my recollection is that the entire process really didn't shoot more than half an afternoon. No worse than getting a car inspected.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

I can give you very recent experience with renewing a passport with only 6 months until expiration. Since it was a renewal, I sent photo, renewal form, check, and passport via USPS priority mail which carries insurance and tracking. I would suggest UPS or Fedex. My passport traveled all over the USA as I tracked it going from coast to coast. When I inquired the USPS could do nothing until is "showed up" somewhere in the system. It finally was delivered to the passport office where you can track it online at department of state website. My replacement passport was mailed approximately 4-5 weeks after this journey began from a different state than I sent the original. I received the canceled passport a week later in a separate delivery. The check was cashed in a state different from the state I mailed the renewal form so the government must distribute the workload according to priority and employees available. Definitely UPS or Fedex.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

BrandonBogle wrote:My appointment is May 10th! Seems there is a LONG wait for in-person, non-expediated renewals in my area.
Apparently it is worthwhile to ask the right questions. I called today and asked if there was another location that can take my passport sooner. Lady checked and I have an appointment at 9:30 am tomorrow. Big difference between 4/12 and 5/10 to go an extra 6 miles away!
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

I agree with the get-it-done folks Victoria.
If you have the nerve to fly Aeroflot, you're already throwing caution to the wind in one department (although to be fair, I have not flown them since '94).

Good luck with the passport!
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Update:

I mailed out the passport application from the local Post Office on Monday, 14 April 2014.
The passport has arrived by the USPS mail today, Tuesday, 13 May 2014.

Apparently I did not need 6 months. Now I can start applying for Global Entry. Thank you, all, for the suggestions,

Victoria
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Good move to get the renewal. I imagine it differs depending on the country, but why take a chance. Some family friends recently had the following experience: The husband's mother, a resident of the Philipines, died a couple of weeks ago. When the wife, husband and their son went to the airport to fly from Seattle to the mother's funeral there, the wife was not allowed to board the plane as her US passport expires in less than 6 months. So the husband and son went to the funeral and the wife took a taxi home and missed the ceremony completely.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Glad it worked out, Victoria!
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

linenfort wrote:Glad it worked out, Victoria!
Thank you, linenfort. I am trying not to regret that I did not wait until 29 days before the trip {a joke that has a bit of a joke},

Victoria
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Last year, during the "government shutdown", I sent in the forms for my passport renewal - I also sprung for the passport card.
17 & 18 days after I mailed in the forms, both passport and card arrived in separate shipments.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Bmac wrote:Good move to get the renewal. I imagine it differs depending on the country, but why take a chance. Some family friends recently had the following experience: The husband's mother, a resident of the Philipines, died a couple of weeks ago. When the wife, husband and their son went to the airport to fly from Seattle to the mother's funeral there, the wife was not allowed to board the plane as her US passport expires in less than 6 months. So the husband and son went to the funeral and the wife took a taxi home and missed the ceremony completely.
That essentially happened to us last year. When buying a plane ticket to London for travel out next day, I had to put in my passport information when buying the ticket. That is when we found out my mother's passport was actually expired. We felt horrible she could not attend, but were grounded in the fact that she should have paid attention and renewed it. In your family's situation, I would be very upset to be denied travel b/c of that.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

BrandonBogle wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:My appointment is May 10th! Seems there is a LONG wait for in-person, non-expediated renewals in my area.
Apparently it is worthwhile to ask the right questions. I called today and asked if there was another location that can take my passport sooner. Lady checked and I have an appointment at 9:30 am tomorrow. Big difference between 4/12 and 5/10 to go an extra 6 miles away!
Another data point. So I submitted my app on 4/12 and my new passport arrived on 5/1. My old passport returned on 5/3.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I applied for Global Entry in mid-May, as soon as I received my new passport. On 13 June I had an interview, and on 20 June I received my Global Entry card.

Victoria
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

One other option that has not been mentioned is to go to the American embassy while you are in Switzerland and get it renewed there.

Ralph