KeePass vs LastPass

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lightheir

Re: KeePass vs LastPass

Post by lightheir »

Pacific wrote:I now understand that keepass generates its own random passwords. However, does keepass know what the particular site requires in its passwords? For example, a site may limit passwords to 8 characters, or may require smallcase, caps, and numbers, but no other characters and no spaces. Does keepass know this when it generates the password? If not, how do you (I) comply with the web site's requirements?

Also, what if someone (hmmm, I wonder who???) already has the same username on many web sites? Can keepass generate random usernames or must I change my username on the sites? How easy is it to change usernames? How can I change my username on Vanguard?

Thanks.
Just download the thing and try it. It's FREE!

It has an excellent password generator with many clickable options, and you can manually set length and complexity of the password to use characters, symbols, to NOT use them, etc.

It can make random usernames too, I do that for each site.

Just try it.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Pacific wrote:I now understand that keepass generates its own random passwords. However, does keepass know what the particular site requires in its passwords? For example, a site may limit passwords to 8 characters, or may require smallcase, caps, and numbers, but no other characters and no spaces. Does keepass know this when it generates the password? If not, how do you (I) comply with the web site's requirements?
Don't know about KeePass, but LastPass allows you to choose the password length and characters to use in generating passwords. I change it to use the strongest password possible for a given site.
Pacific wrote:Also, what if someone (hmmm, I wonder who???) already has the same username on many web sites? Can keepass generate random usernames or must I change my username on the sites? How easy is it to change usernames? How can I change my username on Vanguard?
You can use the random "password" as a user name. You must always change usernames and passwords on the site. You just use the tool to generate them for you if you want. It's easy to change usernames on some sites, impossible on others. I believe with Vanguard you have to set up a new registration to change your username, but you can determine this for yourself easily.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
mikestorm

Post by mikestorm »

Slightly OT, but signed up for LastPass Premium a few days ago.

Some disturbing things I discovered:
[*]In three days I've come up with 65 unique website affiliations, comprised of investment, deposit, credit, cloud, hobby, and discussion forum sites. :shock: I remembered and resurrected login credentials for sites I hadn't been to in nine years.
[*]Passwords for all 65 were derived from one of three unique passwords which I had committed to memory back in college :oops: It took a solid day to go back and make each site's login credentials unique.
[*]Approximately 15% of the 65 were sites I had abandoned. Example: Registered to a Subaru Enthusiast website to solicit advice for a repair. Obtained advice, fixed car, and ultimately sold car a few months later. Highly unlikely I will ever go to that site again, yet the username/password combo dormant at that abandoned site was the same as what I currently used (prior to Heartbleed/LastPass) to log into a few credit card websites.

My point is one of the indirect benefits of LastPass is it can keep a full inventory of your online presence if you let it. You never know when your last logoff from a site is your last logoff from that site, like my Subaru site above, until months and months go by, and by then you may have forgotton about the site altogether. By keeping an all inclusive inventory, you can periodically audit and take steps to delete old/unused affiliations. I've pared down 8 sites so far. Until I decide to delete, though, in the short term I've changed the password from my prior 'go to' password to something more unique for all.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

I use Lastpass, free version and have not tried the others.
I had tried the paid version as it purported to be able to wotk well on IPads but I found that not to be the case.
I subsequently reverted to the free version.
Those issues on the IPad were back a version or 2 so maybe it have been improved and I can't recall exactly what the issue was but I think it had to do with integrating Lastpass with Safari.
Drain

Post by Drain »

mikestorm wrote:My point is one of the indirect benefits of LastPass is it can keep a full inventory of your online presence if you let it. You never know when your last logoff from a site is your last logoff from that site, like my Subaru site above, until months and months go by, and by then you may have forgotton about the site altogether. By keeping an all inclusive inventory, you can periodically audit and take steps to delete old/unused affiliations. I've pared down 8 sites so far. Until I decide to delete, though, in the short term I've changed the password from my prior 'go to' password to something more unique for all.
Yep. I think that using any reasonable password manager will help you get your stuff together and, as a result, leave you safer overall than you probably were before. I say "probably" to leave out those people who were already doing a lot to be secure.
Darin
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Drain wrote:
mikestorm wrote:My point is one of the indirect benefits of LastPass is it can keep a full inventory of your online presence if you let it. You never know when your last logoff from a site is your last logoff from that site, like my Subaru site above, until months and months go by, and by then you may have forgotton about the site altogether. By keeping an all inclusive inventory, you can periodically audit and take steps to delete old/unused affiliations. I've pared down 8 sites so far. Until I decide to delete, though, in the short term I've changed the password from my prior 'go to' password to something more unique for all.
Yep. I think that using any reasonable password manager will help you get your stuff together and, as a result, leave you safer overall than you probably were before. I say "probably" to leave out those people who were already doing a lot to be secure.
Yes, you can do this with Keepass as well -- just sort by password.

But, I have to give it to Lastpass. It told me about the duplicates without me having to ask!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet