Seattle trip at end of May - Any tips?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chicken lady

Seattle trip at end of May - Any tips?

Post by Chicken lady »

Seems that I'll be in Seattle May 27 through May 31st. Any tips of things to absolutely do or see would be appreciated. I'll be flying in and out but will rent a car if necessary. I'll be staying downtown.

Many thanks,

CL
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: Seattle trip at end of May - Any tips?

Post by General Disarray »

Don't rent a car. Take the light rail from SEA/TAC Airport to downtown Seattle, and just walk everywhere. Seattle is a walking city anyway. If you have to leave downtown Seattle, just take the bus.

Places to visit:

Pike's Place (of course). Be sure to visit the Crumpet Shop!
Seattle Art Museum
Sculpture Park
busterk

Post by busterk »

General Disarray wrote:Don't rent a car. Take the light rail from SEA/TAC Airport to downtown Seattle, and just walk everywhere. Seattle is a walking city anyway.
Not in any order:
Pike Place
Nordstrom
Space Needle
EMP Museum
Walk the Wharf
Seattle Mariners game

Check out TripAdvisor for Seattle
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

What are your interests?

Sightseeing in town (museums - what type - or ?)?

Sightseeing with water-based views, or ferry to islands?

Sightseeing to mountain areas (Snoqualmie Falls? Mt Rainier areas?)?

Hiking?

Shopping (for what, and what can't you get where you live?)?

Other interests?

It's a beautiful area, but different aspects will especially appeal to different people.

And do you have meetings or other activities that will take up your time, or is this all free time available?

RM
Raladic

Post by Raladic »

If you're into flying and flight, visit the BOEING Tour. http://futureofflight.org/fof_Boeing.html
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Boeing FACTORY tour was worth it (just get picked up at hotel, no rental car needed)
Space Needle worth it.
Chihuly gallery next to Space Needle worth it.
What's on at the IMAX's next to Space Needle?
Bainbridge Island Museum of Art might be worth it to you, check what they are showing
Harbor tour?
Pike Place Market, not worth it

Let me know what you want to do and I will check it out for you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

Thanks for the suggestions. I like art and museums so I've been reading about the Seattle Art Museum and Park. Have Chilhuly on my list. I like to shop (a little) in stores that aren't chains - I can go to most of them here at home. Walking and hiking is good, I'm an oudoors type person (trees, shrubs, birds, other animals) so activities or places of that type would be of interest to me. I like different ethnic foods and the 'stuff' that different ethnic groups make (shops, art, etc.). I also like all types of music.

I'm curious about how things work (of all types of things and beings) so the Boeing plant might be very interesting. I expect I'll have about 4 hours a day during the business days and then all day and evening on the weekend.

Sorry I didn't say all this to start.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Music--check out triple door and the crocodile, jazz alley, highway 99 blues club, among other close-in venues
Ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island if it is clear out, best view of the mountains.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

Seattle resident here. Live in the Magnolia neighborhood, work downtown.

You'll have a great time. Seattle is a wonderful city. Since you're curious about how things work, some quick suggestions: The Museum of History and Industry is new, well done, and in a great location. Just take the streetcar from downtown to Lake Union. About a 10 minute ride. Center for Wooden Boats also is right there. And there's a neat boat right there that can take you for a fun "ice cream" cruise around Lake Union. Also the Museum of Flight is outstanding; located well south of the city at Boeing Field (the airport that's between downtown and SeaTac; not the same place as the big Boeing plant, that's north in Everett). To get to Seattle Center from downtown (Space Needle, Chihuly, etc.), take the Monorail.

The Seattle Art Museum downtown is also very good. And don't forget the Asian Art Museum, a couple of miles from downtown in Volunteer Park (Capitol Hill neighborhood). Beautiful setting. The Olympic Sculpture Park, just north of downtown, is great and right on the water. Keep walking on the waterfront trail at the park heading north. You'll see a huge grain elevator dock where ships headed for Asia are loaded with grain around the clock. Keep going north and eventually you'll hit my neighborhood, Magnolia. You'll see cruise ships destined for Alaska docked at Pier 90.

On the far north side of Magnolia are the Ballack Locks, an Army Corps of Engineers facility that lifts boat and ships from the lower Puget Sound level (saltwater) to the higher Lake Union level (freshwater). Also a salmon ladder there. And a beautiful (and free) garden on the Ballard (north) side. It's great fun to watch the antics of recreational boaters as they attempt to navigate the locks. More great gardens are in the Arboretum (a couple miles northeast of downtown). On the northeast side of Magnolia (inland from the locks), you can see the Alaskan fishing fleet moored in freshwater at Fisherman's Terminal. Nice, casual restaurant overlooking the fleet.

Boglehead alert: Great FREE view of the city from the 40th floor Starbucks in the Columbia Center building (5th Ave., south end of downtown). I suppose you could buy a $2 cup of coffee to enjoy while taking in the view...

As mentioned earlier, a ferry ride to Bainbridge in good weather is great. If it's really nice, I'd consider a roundtrip to Bremerton (1 hour each way) from downtown Seattle. That trip winds through an interesting passage on the way to Bremerton. More great views from a seaplane tour from Lake Union...

Seattle is just full of great restaurants. The Internet is your friend. You really can't go wrong.

All of the above right in the city... lots more outside. And while it's easy getting around via streetcar and Monorail as described above, I'd go ahead and rent a car if you want even for in city trips. That would save a lot of time for Museum of Flight, Arboretum, and Ballard Locks excursions. Have fun!!!
sashwin

Post by sashwin »

Try this link: http://www.citysearch.com/guide/seattle-wa-metro

They have guides, a number of "best of", and will give you a good idea. Prev poster has some excellent suggestions. If you want an offbeat idea, try this walking tour:

http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Restaurants - huge number of excellent choices. Love the various ethnic foods, the seafood and the northwest fusion. Yelp and Citysearch both have a number of "Best of" you can't go wrong with. One among these, and an inexpensive (but very busy) option is Paseo Carribean...

Weekend - make a trip to the mountains/lakes/hiking.

-- Ashwin
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Go hike Mt Si, (Twin Peaks) Everyone should hike this once in a lifetime. :beer

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mount-si
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

desiderium wrote:Music--check out triple door and the crocodile, jazz alley, highway 99 blues club, among other close-in venues
Ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island if it is clear out, best view of the mountains.
Bainbridge is a nice ride but a short 30 minutes each way. If you take the Bremerton ferry (from the same downtown terminal) the ride is 1 hour each way and the scenery is beautiful and variable all the way with jaw dropping views of Mt. Rainier over the water (on a clear day). The Anthony's Restaurant on the Pier in Bremerton (you'll see it from the ferry when you land) is very good for lunch or dinner. On the Seattle waterfront about a 5-10 minute walk north of the ferry Terminal is Elliot's Fish House - also excellent (Copper River Salmon should be in season and the Crab cakes are to die for). Ask for a window seat on the water end of the restaurant or sit outside on the pier if the weather is nice.

If the weather is nice another 10 minutes north on the waterfront is the Olympic Sculpture park, part of the Seattle Art Museum. It's definitely worth seeing. Then turn east and walk another 15 minutes up the hill and you're at the Space Needle and Chhuly Garden and Glass exhibit at the Seattle Center. The EMP Museum is also there and worth a look.

The Seattle art museum is nearby as well and definitely worth a visit. It is very near Pike's Place Market which get more attention than it deserves but as long as you're close it's worth a walk through.

All these things are within comfortable walking distance. Be sure to take an umbrella and rain jacket as weather conditions can vary widely at this time of year.

http://www.anthonys.com/
http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com/
http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/OSP/default.asp
http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/plan-your-visit
http://www.empmuseum.org/
http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com/
http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/visitSAM.asp
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/explore-the-market

There are many places to go by car but for your first relatively short visit you may just want to stick to the downtown area and ferries. The Seattle Mariners will also be playing at home during that time (Angels and Tigers) so you could also walk to the stadium and take in a game one evening. Tickets are usually readily available at the box office.

Have a great visit!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bowest

Post by bowest »

Chicken lady wrote:Seems that I'll be in Seattle May 27 through May 31st. Any tips of things to absolutely do or see would be appreciated. I'll be flying in and out but will rent a car if necessary. I'll be staying downtown.

Many thanks,

CL
Second the comments on Boeing factory tour. It is riveting. It's fun and something else to walk above the assembly lines for a 747 and 787.

Bainbridge ferry is also a great way to spend an afternoon if it is nice out. The best views of the skyline, Sound, and mountains and a nice walk around Bainbridge.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

Instead of the car rental, you might look at signing up for car2go. It allows you to use cool little smart cars parked all around the city and drop them off wherever there's a legal parking spot, for an hourly amount (your membership would also work in other cities where they have the service). There are also a few ride-sharing services, managed through your smart phone, where normal people use their own cars to give you a ride wherever you want to go for a certain amount. I think one is called Uber,distinguished by the large pink mustaches people put on their cars. Another option for most places is Metro transit, and there's a great app called onebusaway that will list all the real-time bus arrivals and their stops, and a Metro trip planner online will also help you figure out where to go and how to get there. You can get an Orca Card at the light rail station at the airport and load cash value on it, which will work on the buses, light rail, and ferries and save you hassle of trying to keep correct change on you. It may seem imposing to use all the different options, but it's a good way to meet locals, and our buses are full of workers and students and 'normal' people, so you shouldn't have any problems, and locals are understanding and helpful of tourists for the most part.
Topic Author
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

Super cool tips! Many thanks for the ideas and your time to write them all out of me. I'm going to extend my visit and stay through the weekend. I may never get back to Seattle so I don't want to miss anything. I expect I'll return home pooped but happy with many very pleasant memories. :D
Murray Boyd

Post by Murray Boyd »

Car2go is great, and really ideal for vacationers, just be extra careful not to sign out a car in a place that has rush hour parking restrictions (e.g., no parking 7-9 am). The basic idea is that the car might be sitting there for a day and a half after you're done with it, and it needs to be in a place where it won't get towed or ticketed at any time.

The Crumpet Shop (in Pike Place Market) is a real treat. Great for breakfast or for a morning snack. I pop in there whenever I'm downtown. There's a great tiny pub in the market called The White Horse that's open after 5pm.

The Frye Art Museum is near downtown and it's free. It's a real gem and worth a detour. You have bad luck with the timing of your trip, both SAM and the Frye have shows closing right before you get to town. They both have excellent permanent collections though, so it's not too bad.

Popping over to Bainbridge is really nice. Just don't take the car unless you want to go to Bloedel Reserve. The BI museum is free too, and right across the street from the ferry terminal.

The area around Volunteer Park / Asian Art Museum is really nice for just walking around.

There are great outdoorsy places right in the city: Washington Park Arboretum, Seward Park, Discovery Park, and Ravenna Park are all huge and really pretty.

Ballard Avenue is nice for shopping.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

Based on my trips
1) take a raincoat
2)Take an umbrella
3) take rain boots
4) if it's really bad, take a mask and snorkel :D :)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

If you end up getting a car, take a drive up to Snoqualmie Falls. They are breathtaking at this time of year (and free). Go in the gift shop and pick up some Snoqualmie Falls pancake mix. It's reallllyyyy good! :D

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Wild Ginger if you like Asian food.

The revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle is surprisingly good for that type of restaurant (usually overpriced and bad food).

Pike's Place Market to see the fishmonger throw whole fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

dickenjb wrote:The revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle is surprisingly good for that type of restaurant (usually overpriced and bad food).
You may wish to get a reservation before you fly to Seattle. And of course, make your reservation for a sunny day or an evening with a full moon and clear sky.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ayitey

Post by ayitey »

If you like food from other countries and cultures:

Visit at least one Ethiopean restaurant. Seattle has many.

Visit the International District (very near downtown) and enjoy excellent Japanese food (top notch sushi), Chinese food (must try dim sum for lunch), Vietnamese food and Korean food. All excellent options available.

If you stay in a hotel downtown, consider the excellent Seattle Art Museum and see live jazz at Demetrio's Jazz Alley or anything featured at Benaroya Hall.

And definitely hop on a ferry for breathtaking water and mountain views.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Another great place is Ray's Boathouse in Shilshole. Go in the lingering evening light, when the sailboats are coming in; the water and mountain views are amazing. The upstairs cafe has good views and atmosphere for a drink or light meal and is easier to get into than the restaurant.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

desiderium wrote:Another great place is Ray's Boathouse in Shilshole. Go in the lingering evening light, when the sailboats are coming in; the water and mountain views are amazing. The upstairs cafe has good views and atmosphere for a drink or light meal and is easier to get into than the restaurant.
Rays > anthony's, arnies, or salty's.
Topic Author
Chicken lady

Re: Seattle trip at end of May - I'm back

Post by Chicken lady »

Many thanks to all who provided suggestions of things to do while in Seattle. It was wonderful! I was able to act on many of the suggestions, saw Mt. Ranier, lots of art, good blues at Jazz Alley, great food and on and on. My trip didn't allow me to follow up on every suggestion :sharebeer but I've plenty to do the next time I make my way to the Seattle area.

Thanks again! :happy
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Resurrecting an old thread.

Is the Boeing factory tour and flight of the future separate? If I need to pick one, which is more preferable? Thanks.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

There is also a Museum of Flight. How does it compare?
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Boring city. Been to most of the famous spots, totally not worth it.
goingup

Post by goingup »

cheesepep wrote:Boring city. Been to most of the famous spots, totally not worth it.
Totally agree. Unless you like hiking, boating, art, seafood, microbrews, pro sports, and green green natural beauty. Definitely do not visit in July, August or September. You'll just hate it!

(Seattle resident here. :beer)
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

goingup wrote:
cheesepep wrote:Boring city. Been to most of the famous spots, totally not worth it.
Totally agree. Unless you like hiking, boating, art, seafood, microbrews, pro sports, and green green natural beauty. Definitely do not visit in July, August or September. You'll just hate it!

(Seattle resident here. :beer)
Yup, boring. Please don't come here. :twisted:
OSUmountaineer

Post by OSUmountaineer »

htdrag11 wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.

Is the Boeing factory tour and flight of the future separate? If I need to pick one, which is more preferable? Thanks.
The factory tour is awesome - you tour the assembly line where 737s and 787s are built. I believe it is the 737 warehouse that has the largest footprint of any building in the world. I found it extremely fascinating.

The Museum of Flight is also cool, but that is on the south side of Seattle, whereas the Factory Tour is at the Everett facility approximately 30-40 minutes north of Seattle (or longer depending on traffic). I would recommend the factory tour, but you can't go wrong with either.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Hiking this weekend.
Oysters at Walrus and Carpenter during happy hour at half off.
Tried cold brew at Starbucks Roastery (not a drinker).
Chihuly was cool.
Went to see Seattle Storms and the fabulous U_Conn women.

Decided on Museum of Flight. :D

Thank you all.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

BTW, Seattle is at least 15_20 degrees cooler than the east coast now and no need for AC. It is very cool. 8-)
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

htdrag11 wrote:Resurrecting an old thread.

The Boeing tour is an add on to the future of flight museum ticket I believe so they are kind of the same thing. The Museum of flight down at Boeing field (not the same airport as the Boeing tour) is also very nice.

Edit: now I see you already decided and went. Good choices.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We just came back from a 4 night vacation to Seattle (and 3 nights in Portland). We had an amazing time. There are great places to eat at Pike Place, it's not just a tourist trap. And an entire restaurant dedicated to ginger beer (RGB)? How cool is that.

And weather was insanely good. Low 70s with not a single drop of rain.