Expensive hobbies and possessions? (B/c you can...)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nummerkins

Re: Expensive hobbies and possessions? (B/c you can...)

Post by Nummerkins »

Side hobby is being a pyrotechnician. It's as close to actually burning money as you can get but the adrenaline rush is unparalleled.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Roadtrek Agile SS Class B- RV. :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
midareff

Post by midareff »

Audio/Video gear...... although top notch equipment kept a decade + isn't that expensive. Rolex, waterfront condo, new Benz, international travel and pro level cameras and lenses. Guess I've got lots of hobbies.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

We do a foreign trip every couple of years and have done 3 salmon fishing trips to Alaska. Will probably head back to Alaska next year. Still have salmon in the freezer from our last successful outing!
agent13x

Post by agent13x »

In 3 years, after paying off all consumer debt and student loans, I will be buying a reasonably priced boat so I can take the family and friends out to the lake and cruise, ski, tube, etc. The best memories of my childhood were at the lake.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

1/2 a beef per year direct from the farmer, Islay single malt scotch (around 4 bottles a year from different distillaries), 3 Orvis bamboo fly rods (purchased used), 2 Italian SxS shotguns (Zoli 12 ga. purchased used, Franchi 20 ga. purchased NOS) and the bird hunting and fishing trips to use the rods and shotguns, most of which do not require much travel and are taken with my son and son-in-law.

After I retire I've given some thought to getting into some shotgun games, but only at my local gun club.
agent13x

Post by agent13x »

Hawkeye5 wrote:1/2 a beef per year direct from the farmer
Might be expensive for a one-time purchase, but it's cheaper per pound.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Toons wrote:Roadtrek Agile SS Class B- RV. :happy
Those are nice! - as someone who was a Westphalia owner/aficionado decades ago these Sprinter RV's have been tempting me.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Traditional archery/Hunting

Most of Texas is private land so we generally have to pay to hunt (lease land).

The longbows and recurves are fun to buy/sell/trade. There are many, many great bowyers out there, and I like to do a lot of experimenting. Bows can reach over $1000 a piece, though.
Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

jackpullo997 wrote:What are some expensive hobbies you enjoy?
What are some expensive things you own?
B/c you're BH but for some things, you want the very best, b/c you can...
Running is my most expensive hobby. I spend $5-800/year on shoes and clothes, a similar amount on race entry fees, maybe $500 on occasional travel to a distant race, and--far outweighing any of these--probably 500 hours a year actually running. :D

It keeps me really healthy and happy. Other than an onsite health check at work and a bottle of ibuprofen or two, I haven't had any medical expenses in many years.
Girino

Post by Girino »

Home woodworking shop. This is expensive for me: I budget about $150 per month. Mix of restored antique and modern tools. On the other hand, I've made about 2/3 of the furniture in my house and I make stuff I could never afford to buy so it sort of pays for itself. At least that's what I tell my wife.
Travel: A two week trip per year, domestic or abroad. Leaving for Italy at the end of the month. Half of it work related and that half paid for by my employer.
Three pets. Just took on a second Golden Retriever puppy who has potential for obedience competitions so planning to spend bucks for training and travel to competition trials over the next 2-3 years. And all the vet bills.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

Woodworking is my most expensive hobby.

I bought my equipment back in the early 1980s and probably spent less than $500. The only ongoing expenses I have are mostly for the wood that I use on the projects........so it is really not that expensive of a hobby.

I have made everything from furniture to picture frames, wood mechanical models, wood locks, and inlaid gifts. The last few years I make items that I give away at Christmas time to my relatives........like these clocks......

or these inlaid Ladybug boxes........

or these wood flowers......

If you like woodworking, check out my web site at.........

http://dalemaley.webs.com/
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
Toons

Post by Toons »

hicabob wrote:
Toons wrote:Roadtrek Agile SS Class B- RV. :happy
Those are nice! - as someone who was a Westphalia owner/aficionado decades ago these Sprinter RV's have been tempting me.
Go for it! Take a Sprinter for a test drive. Turbo charged 4cylinder phenomenal torque translates to excellent acceleration. Been averaging 25mpg loaded :annoyed
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Lots of time off. Travel. I'd throw in the boat, but it's a beater.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 »

I am really enjoying this thread.
It's a needed counterbalance to the endless "coupon clipping" oriented threads.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

DaleMaley wrote: If you like woodworking, check out my web site at.........

Wow! You're a genius. Amazing ... I'll have 1 of everything, 2 of The Pulverizer ...
Lucky Lemon

Post by Lucky Lemon »

House, renting airplanes, tools, good food (cooking at home and dining out), wine, and wine decanters.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green
12thman

Post by 12thman »

Good Beer. Pliny the Elder - Russian River Brew :sharebeer
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

... b/c you can...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
tc33

Post by tc33 »

Ice hockey goalie. A full high-end setup costs around $4K, but being a good BH I get all my stuff used off Ebay.

Post by 123 »

A young girlfriend on the side.. Excuse me, just wishing...
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

dgdevil wrote:
DaleMaley wrote: If you like woodworking, check out my web site at.........

Wow! You're a genius. Amazing ... I'll have 1 of everything, 2 of The Pulverizer ...
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the web site :D :D
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic comment and several posts. Let's avoid discussions on the health aspects of organic foods - it's dietary / medical advice which is off-topic. See: Forum Policy
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Update: I removed a few additional posts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

dgdevil wrote:
Jeff7 wrote:
So I get my own little desert right there in my northern livingroom.
Amazing. Got pix?
I second that request. :D
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I used to own a beautiful antique sailboat. 27 feet, teak decks, and you could stand up below. Brightwork (varnish) all over, that required upkeep every year (including the wooden mast).

She probably cost me $600/mo. and it was really worth it while I was into sailing and varnishing and navigation, etc. Very fun.

As I grew other interests she became like an albatross, and she was losing value as I failed to maintain her.

It's all in what you get out of it. Expensive possessions can own you if you are just their caretaker.
sogm

Post by sogm »

Photography and Home Theater
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

DaleMaley wrote:Woodworking is my most expensive hobby.

I bought my equipment back in the early 1980s and probably spent less than $500. The only ongoing expenses I have are mostly for the wood that I use on the projects........so it is really not that expensive of a hobby.

I have made everything from furniture to picture frames, wood mechanical models, wood locks, and inlaid gifts. The last few years I make items that I give away at Christmas time to my relatives........like these clocks......

or these inlaid Ladybug boxes........

or these wood flowers......

If you like woodworking, check out my web site at.........

The projects on your site are just delightful! :D I love the reproduction of the glass and wood lamp. But my favorite is the lifeguard tower for the garden. I'm going to have to get my husband to build one like that. And then teach our dog to sit in it.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

When I quit drinking a few years ago I created My "non drinking fund". I put in it all the money I would have spent on drink. As I got wealthier, I decided I was "not drinking" much better stuff. I would price out top shelf Cognac and Single malt and add that sum to my fund. I sometimes tell DW that some day I will have a custom made suit created by a top flight tailor. He retort is always with a smile :D "what have you been drinking? I say "water" she says "what vintage?"
reisner

Post by reisner »

I don't own much, but I buy good stuff--at a bargain, mostly. Food and booze can't be scrimped on. But really good clothes can almost always be had for a huge discount from Sierra Trading Post. So too fishing equipment. Bought exactly the shotgun and deer rifle I wanted, but used, for $500 and $450 (a CZ S X S and a Mauser 98 in 7 X 57). Got my $1400 bird dog (Llewellin setter) for free on Craigslist. Most of my furniture is custom cherry, made on the cheap by an amateur woodworker. Travel but generally at a discount. If I do splurge it's usually on a trip. Oh, and then there's that house on the California coast, but bought at the recent bottom of the market; still expensive by the standards of many regions.
nash031

Post by nash031 »

What are some expensive things you own?
Triathlon and the bikes associated with it.

Have a decent set of golf clubs that when my triathloning days are over will be utilized.

By Boglehead standards, our taste in wine is expensive in that it's not boxed. 8-)
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

No expensive hobbies here. We like simplicity, much money spent does not equal happiness. Our main occupation is now raising our grandson, but his dad, our son, pays that. I like gardening, drop a few hundreds on that each year. My wife buys and reads 5 or 6 newspapers each day = many hundreds a year.
oysterboy

Post by oysterboy »

A first-class wine collection that is now in the early stage of a "safe withdrawal rate".
Premium food ingredients for cooking, though this is offset, probably entirely, by our reduced frequency of dining out since I retired and got serious about cooking.
High-end photography equipment, which brings me enormous pleasure.

Otherwise, a rather modest lifestyle.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

[ If you like woodworking, check out my web site at.........

http://dalemaley.webs.com/[/quote]

The projects on your site are just delightful! :D I love the reproduction of the glass and wood lamp. But my favorite is the lifeguard tower for the garden. I'm going to have to get my husband to build one like that. And then teach our dog to sit in it.[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the circa 1908 reproduction of the glass and wood lamp was very tough to build, but it turned out very nice! I gave it to my sister who has several bedrooms of family history items......and it fits right in! I would like to build some more after I retire.

travellight

Post by travellight »

Was shopping at John Varvados and Karen Millen in Soho two hours ago and heading to see Bryan Cranston on Broadway in the front row.
Topic Author
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 »

likegarden wrote:No expensive hobbies here. We like simplicity, much money spent does not equal happiness. Our main occupation is now raising our grandson, but his dad, our son, pays that. I like gardening, drop a few hundreds on that each year. My wife buys and reads 5 or 6 newspapers each day = many hundreds a year.
A frugal mindset is the ethos of this entire forum. There are 1000's of threads about that.
The point of this particular thread is for people to discuss their expensive hobbies.
Hence the title "Expensive hobbies and possessions"
Last edited by jackpullo997 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papiper

Post by papiper »

flying my plane. I bought it 20 years ago, so I pretend I don't have any sunk cost in it, just fuel and fun

(I go to great lengths never to add up maintenance, new engine, insurance, hanger, etc, etc)
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Pale Blue Dot
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Skiing and travel for DH and I. DH is an avid cyclist and is now training for a tri. Thus far, both of those are cheaper than skiing and traveling though.

-Steph
mommyshock13

Post by mommyshock13 »

most expensive hobby? being a mommy
most expensive possession? my baby, he's priceless!
rob

Post by rob »

bhsince87 wrote:Hmm, I just remembered about $15-18k worth of photography equipment.
Yeah, I make a habit of NOT trying to add up dollars for photo gear..... It's bad cama in my view, plus bad for my health IF the other half saw it :D

Assuming your excluding kids from the question :shock: ..... Travel to use said equipment is right up there.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

It is not very Bogleheadish, but I collect dividend growth stocks. I like to buy 1000 share lots of companies whose products I use and value.

I used to collect other things, like coins, but I get a kick out of seeing a truck go by on the highway and knowing that company is paying me $10 a day.

Still do most of my investing with index funds, but I don't like that the index funds include companies I really don't want to invest in, like fast food, tobacco, casinos and Internet time wasters like Facebook.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
Candor

Post by Candor »

Photography. I have one lens that I bought a few years ago that cost $6k and I'm now thinking about upgrading to one that cost more than double. :oops: But it makes me happy. :D
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Climbing: gym membership, gear, travel.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Cameron E

Post by Cameron E »

Golf. I haven't bought new clubs in years but just greens fees are pretty expensive for a guy just starting out. I hope to eventually be able to afford a membership at a local country club, but that is a ways away. Otherwise, I have very few things to spend money on.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Travel.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Bidwell

Post by Bidwell »

My wife and I live modestly in a nice place. During a near death experience three years ago, I had a "life review" on the way to the Pearly Gates. The upshot of this experience was that I decided to have more fun. So two antique cars are now parked in the garage. I love them. The expensive part is doing restorations. Memo to self only buy perfect restorations not someone else's botched work.
willie838

Post by willie838 »

06 honda cbr1000rr.

been on sportbikes since i was 18, i'm 31 now and i plan on selling it in the next 6 weeks :( I finally grasped my own mortality and it outweighed the fun of 1st gear felonies.

speed will always be in my heart though.

"Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"

HST.
nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan »

Great thread,
nice to see some others who enjoy spending some of the money too !

like others my wife and I enjoy nice cars-Lexus's and watches (Rolex) but my most expensive "hobby" over the years has been investing in guns,started with sporting shotguns-Belgium Browning,Merkel,Prussian Daly,Parker,rifles Mannlicher Schoenauer and Colts (mostly Saa's) have also dabbled in War time Lugers and Walthers,all seem to have increased nicely in value for me to build a hobby collection just under 100k.Toying with going to a part time dealer after seeing the strong prices brought at auctions even now.

Lots of other fun hobbies posted on here,very interesting and fun thread
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Socail country club membership for the pool.
Downhill ski trip at least annually
Carbon fiber road bike, but thinking custom steel frame very soon.