water heater purchase from Amazon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

water heater purchase from Amazon

Post by coffeehubcap »

Has anyone had experience in buying a water heater from Amazon?

What's a ball park figure for a plumber to remove old tank and install new water heater?
thewizzer

Re: water heater purchase from Amazon

Post by thewizzer »

Extremely variable based on location. Where I live, I got a water heater installed by Lowes for under $700 total.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

for a purchase like this i would use Home Depot or lowes they also arrange installation
Abe

Post by Abe »

I personally would never buy a water heater from Amazon. I like to buy things like that locally so if there is a problem, I can take it back. The last time I bought one I think I paid about $250.00 at lowes, and I paid $100.00 to have it installed. I believe it was a 30 gallon heater.
Slow and steady wins the race.
AAA

Post by AAA »

I agree. I like Amazon for many things but not something like this. In fact, I'd let the plumber get it for me even with a markup. The reason - if there's a problem, he's responsible for exchanging it and he'll come back with another one.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

The cost for a plumber will vary greatly. Is the old one in an attic or basement? Will he need to do more than just install the heater to bring you up to code?
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

I once ordered a rug from Amazon, 8x10.... and they sent me 10x12 .... TWICE. I was responsible for returning it, twice.

Don't get your water heater from Amazon.
agent13x

Post by agent13x »

Kevin21 wrote:I once ordered a rug from Amazon, 8x10.... and they sent me 10x12 .... TWICE. I was responsible for returning it, twice.

If it's Amazon's mistake, they don't charge for return shipments, and sometimes they will even set up free home pickup. All you do is tape it back up in the box and put it on your porch. If you ordered through a 3rd party vendor through Amazon, that's a different story.

Amazon is good place to look at reviews for the heater you want, but I'd still go local and bundle the installation in with it.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Agreed. Too much potential for headaches. What if there's a problem the day after it is installed? You're going to call the plumber to put the old one back in? (And he will charge you, of course.) If he's giving you a price for the heater+installation, then he's on the hook until it comes out right. Something like this, stick with local.
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

agent13x wrote:
Kevin21 wrote:I once ordered a rug from Amazon, 8x10.... and they sent me 10x12 .... TWICE. I was responsible for returning it, twice.

If it's Amazon's mistake, they don't charge for return shipments, and sometimes they will even set up free home pickup. All you do is tape it back up in the box and put it on your porch. If you ordered through a 3rd party vendor through Amazon, that's a different story.

Amazon is good place to look at reviews for the heater you want, but I'd still go local and bundle the installation in with it.
Amazon covered the cost of shipping, and set up home pickup ---- BUT have you ever tried unfurling a 10x12 rug, to find it too big, spend an hour on the phone with amazon, and furl it back up, tape it up, and leave it outside for pickup? Not an easy task. A 10x12 jute rug is not light and this process was difficult --- I assume a water heater would be even more difficult to do this with.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I agree, don't buy from Amazon to save a few bucks. The type of water heater will also make a difference.... gas, electric, power vent, etc.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yeah, this isn't correct. If they made a mistake, they will NEVER charge for the product to be returned.

Of course, you're responsible for rolling it back up and securing it for shipment, but surely you couldn't be talking about that?
Topic Author
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Thanks to all who posted. I was curious if anyone bought a water heater from Amazon. It's not the way I plan to go.