How much water do you drink every day?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

How much water do you drink every day?

Post by Caduceus »

How much water (as opposed to other fluids like tea, coffee, or juices) do you drink a day? Do you drink it straight from the tap / filter it / or use other means?

[If you use a filter, which filter would you recommend?]
dm200

Re: How much water do you drink every day?

Post by dm200 »

One to three glasses per day - right from the tap or water fountain.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Best water bottle ever, it hold 64 ounces and I drink more than that every day. I don't drink any other drinks, just boring like that.

All the water is just tap water, usually put through a brita pitcher.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

$44 before taxes for a water bottle??
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Caduceus wrote:How much water (as opposed to other fluids like tea, coffee, or juices) do you drink a day? Do you drink it straight from the tap / filter it / or use other means?

[If you use a filter, which filter would you recommend?]
About 3 8-0z glasses of non-filtered tap water a day, more depending on the amount of exercise. I always let cold water run for several minutes to avoid or at least lessen lead that can build up in pipes. Probably should have a filter.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I drink a lot of water, as do the other family members (if it's not water, for me it's iced tea). I can't stand the taste of chlorine (or whatever they use in NJ), and have never found a filter that completely removes it. So, it's Poland Spring for us.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Always from the tap and I try to get a few large glasses in each day. I always feel like I have more energy when I do.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I'd say maybe 1/2 to 1 gallon, all unfiltered municipal tap water. I refill a plastic water bottle at work, it is about 24 oz. and I fill it 2-3 times. At home I probably have at least another 2 or 3 12 oz glasses on work days. I probably drink somewhat less water on days off as I am not sitting at my desk with a water bottle all day. At home I have a refillable dispenser that holds over a gallon in the refrigerator. I have always felt like I need to drink water constantly.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I like European mineral water. I usually buy cases of S. Pellegrino at Costco. On weekends I have 3-5 glasses per day; on weekdays less because I don't want to carry glass bottles to work.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
runner9

Post by runner9 »

harrychan wrote:$44 before taxes for a water bottle??
Yes, and there are zero taxes. I had been getting 2 20oz plastic bottles at Target for about $10, they least about 18 months to 2 years and don't keep it cold. So, in a few years I'll come out ahead cost wise, and cold water without any sweating is worth it to me.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I know medical advice is a no-no on this forum, but - all that extra water you drink does you zero good. You pee out all the extra water you drink.

Your thirst is HIGHLY accurate unless you have kidney disease, and the amount of water you drink will depend both on activity/sweat as well as salt intake. You will ingest the EXACT amount of water required to properly dilute your body salt, down to the 1cc. Yes, we actually tested this in med school with a class of 100 healthy med students, and everyone peed out EXACTLYwhat they ingested during a class after a night of full hydration per instructions. Not even off by more than 1%. Eat tons of salty food, you'll have to drink a lot of water.

You can trust your thirst. If you're thirst, drink. If not, don't.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I know I need to increase my water intake.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Zero, I used to drink tap water where I lived before, but here it tastes awful.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

lightheir wrote:I know medical advice is a no-no on this forum, but - all that extra water you drink does you zero good. You pee out all the extra water you drink.

Your thirst is HIGHLY accurate unless you have kidney disease, and the amount of water you drink will depend both on activity/sweat as well as salt intake. You will ingest the EXACT amount of water required to properly dilute your body salt, down to the 1cc. Yes, we actually tested this in med school with a class of 100 healthy med students, and everyone peed out EXACTLYwhat they ingested during a class after a night of full hydration per instructions. Not even off by more than 1%. Eat tons of salty food, you'll have to drink a lot of water.

I think there are a couple of additions to that. I think I read somewhere that people running races can actually do themselves harm drinking too much water. Also, by the time an elderly person feels thirsty, they are already a little dehydrated.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I don't know. I don't keep track of water with something dissolved or suspended in it that isn't called coffee or tea or beer or whatever, or isn't called an apple or celery or the like, as opposed to water with something suspended or dissolved in it that is called those things.

I do know when I'm thirsty I drink something, and frequently it is tap water, which contains a number of substances in addition to Hydric acid.

:wink:

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

...delete repeat
Last edited by Fallible on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
joelly

Post by joelly »

I read somewhere that I'm supposed to drink half of my weight in fluid oz every day. So that's what I do everyday. I drink coffee daily (1 cup of coffee a day) so I usually will drink another 16 oz of water to wash that out.
avenger

Post by avenger »

2 liters of water. But I'm biased (a urologist).
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

lightheir wrote:I know medical advice is a no-no on this forum, but - all that extra water you drink does you zero good. You pee out all the extra water you drink.

That doesn't really match my experience, though obviously this is pretty subjective. The usual rule of thumb is that if your urine isn't clear you're not drinking enough. For me, unless I pay attention I drink way less than that.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I don't know. I don't keep track of water with something dissolved or suspended in it that isn't called coffee or tea or beer or whatever, or called an apple or celery or the like, as opposed to water with something suspended or dissolved in it that is called those things....:wink:
PJW
Thing is, I fear some of "those things" are also in the other things you mentioned. :wink:
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I don't keep track. Maybe 2 giant coffee mugs worth at work. I don't drink much when I'm home. Bottled water at work, tap water at home. Don't notice much difference.
Last edited by pennstater2005 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
cfs

Post by cfs »

Good conversation.

I take my bottle (1.5 L) to work, usually drink about half. Never drink tap water in California. The water we drink comes from our 5-gallon water containers, we refill those at a water filtering shop just a few blocks from my house.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:

That doesn't really match my experience, though obviously this is pretty subjective. The usual rule of thumb is that if your urine isn't clear you're not drinking enough. For me, unless I pay attention I drink way less than that.
There is obviously a slight lag between your body's thrist and the actual situation. But science shows that thirst is in fact, highly accurate. Rules of thumbs are just that, only 'rules of thumb'. Your thirst is so much more reliable than the color of your urine that you can ignore the color as a measure of your hydration status.

In response to the prior post about runners overhydrating, those are extreme cases where marathoners (almost always the slow ones on the course for 5+hrs) overdrink while running too slowly to have significant water losses. It's almost always because the marathoner had a 'drinking plan'of drinking "X oz" every 15-30mins, and then sticking to that plan even when there was no thirst reflex. (In their defense, the pain and haze of running 26 miles makes it harder to pay attention to normal body instincts, especially if your legs are cramping hard.)
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

runner9 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Best water bottle ever, it hold 64 ounces and I drink more than that every day. I don't drink any other drinks, just boring like that.

Product name: Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle and Beer Growler

I think you're doing it wrong. :)
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

lightheir wrote:

There is obviously a slight lag between your body's thrist and the actual situation. But science shows that thirst is in fact, highly accurate. Rules of thumbs are just that, only 'rules of thumb'. Your thirst is so much more reliable than the color of your urine that you can ignore the color as a measure of your hydration status.

In response to the prior post about runners overhydrating, those are extreme cases where marathoners (almost always the slow ones on the course for 5+hrs) overdrink while running too slowly to have significant water losses. It's almost always because the marathoner had a 'drinking plan'of drinking "X oz" every 15-30mins, and then sticking to that plan even when there was no thirst reflex. (In their defense, the pain and haze of running 26 miles makes it harder to pay attention to normal body instincts, especially if your legs are cramping hard.)
I've read/heard some of the science (like takedowns of the 8 glass/day myth) and agree with your broad points but I'll admit that it doesn't completely match my own experience. I suppose at some point it could be psychosomatic, but I've also heard some people tend to have a lighter thirst mechanism. I tend to actively need to remind myself to drink water in the afternoon, or I tend to feel slightly sluggish during an afternoon workout, which tends to affect my performance. When I climb at the gym, there are times when I can actively drink water between routes and seem to improve my performance. Also, I feel like I gain some benefit to actively chugging a couple glasses of water when I'm drinking that aren't simply a product of my replacing something else alcoholic.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
runner9

Post by runner9 »

ryuns wrote:
runner9 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Product name: Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Water Bottle and Beer Growler

I think you're doing it wrong. :)
LOL. I don't drink anything else; I don't like the taste of beer or alcohol. Because of it's size though, one coworker calls it my "moonshine jug"

The company does make a smaller one in more colors.
Clearly_Irrational

lightheir wrote:There is obviously a slight lag between your body's thrist and the actual situation. But science shows that thirst is in fact, highly accurate. Rules of thumbs are just that, only 'rules of thumb'. Your thirst is so much more reliable than the color of your urine that you can ignore the color as a measure of your hydration status.
I can only provide anecdotal evidence, but in addition to my own experience it was really common for Marines in my unit to under-hydrate even when given plenty of opportunity to drink water. On a practical basis we pretty much had to force them to hydrate or we'd get idiots who would get so dehydrated they'd pass out during route marches. When we did desert training there were plenty of guys who ended up needing saline IVs due to heat stress made worse by failure to hydrate. That experience may not transfer exactly to the situation of a sedentary office worker, but I suspect the thirst mechanism also doesn't work properly if you're drinking non-water fluids like coffee or soda in addition to water.
Clearly_Irrational

runner9 wrote:LOL. I don't drink anything else; I don't like the taste of beer or alcohol. Because of it's size though, one coworker calls it my "moonshine jug"
Looks like a neat container, does it work well to drink out of it directly or do you pour into something else?
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I hate water, maybe 2 glasses a week? I do drink 10 cups of coffee a day, it starts off as water :)
Eastwest

Post by Eastwest »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I drink a lot of water, as do the other family members (if it's not water, for me it's iced tea). I can't stand the taste of chlorine (or whatever they use in NJ), and have never found a filter that completely removes it. So, it's Poland Spring for us.
Have you tried boiling water to remove taste/impurities?
runner9

Post by runner9 »

runner9 wrote:LOL. I don't drink anything else; I don't like the taste of beer or alcohol. Because of it's size though, one coworker calls it my "moonshine jug"
Looks like a neat container, does it work well to drink out of it directly or do you pour into something else?
Directly. They have more info at http://www.hydroflask.com/
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Typically:

24 oz coffee
24 oz green tea
80-100 oz water

If my urine isn't near clear I don't consider myself hydrated, but I'm also a pretty extreme runner. I drink to thirst.
I drink a lot of water, as do the other family members (if it's not water, for me it's iced tea). I can't stand the taste of chlorine (or whatever they use in NJ), and have never found a filter that completely removes it. So, it's Poland Spring for us.
Reverse osmosis will remove it and nearly every other impurity; it also removes all the minerals that are good for your body too so if used you'll probably want to supplement minerals.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I've seen some discrepancies about what the color of your urine means. This chart comes from a reputable source. (Not medical advice)

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/ ... fographic/
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Just read this for non-anecdotal science on the matter, in definitive format but in laymans format

http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serio ... 145042497X

Dr. Noakes is a world-reknowned professor widely recognized as a legitimate leading authority on sports hydration. The comments I made earlier are nearly identical to what he says about hydration. There are countless anecdotes out there, some of which sound convincing, but there is fortunately a good body of science to put all that to rest.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Perhaps this spectroscope would be of general Boglehead urinalysis interest?

Order it using the URL (URinaLysis) I've provided and we defray the bogleheads.org server costs!

PJW
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:Perhaps this spectroscope would be of general Boglehead urinalysis interest?
Is this a test of liquid assets?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Phineas J. Whoopee

VictoriaF wrote:...
If so it's the Caa2 tranche.
PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

About 1.5L of bottled water a day. Interestingly, some of the premium bottled waters have a fair amount of acid in them which I try to avoid. The only things I drink are coffee, water and a little milk. This is out of necessity due to GERD issues.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

I drink 3 glasses of distilled water daily and do get my minerals from fruit and vegetables.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:...
If so it's the Caa2 tranche.
PJW
Caa2 + H2O = CaO + 2AH

where Victoria
Angst

Post by Angst »

I hardly drink a glass of anything over the course of a day, save for maybe a beer or two, or a bit of wine. I have little thirst, although I do eat quite a few vegetables and fruit. I think that's where my water must come from. Oh wait! I forgot about coffee. That accounts for maybe 12 oz every morning.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Beer has water in it....

My wife and I carry around the 32 oz nalgene bottles. I drink tap water and she drinks filtered water from the fridge. I'm too impatient for that. She drinks a cup of coffee in the morning then usually 3 full nalgene bottles with maybe some juice in the mix. I drink 1.5 to 2 nalgene bottles with some unsweet tea, milk, or juice in the mix. A beer or two is not uncommon, either.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

The last time I went to the Doc. he said to drink roughly half(in oz.) of your body weight number every day. If you weigh 160 lbs., then drink about 80 oz. of water per day. I usually don't make it, but I'm trying harder these days. And it's always tap water, unless you're buying. Also, my wife turned me on to Rooibos tea recently and it has no caffeine and less tannin. I even like it with no sugar and at any temperature. :happy
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

It’s a totally meaningless measure.

Anything you drink will be mostly water. Same with much of what you eat. Soups, meat, fish all contain a bunch of water. Unless you’re living off jerky….

The biggest exception is grain based foods. If you eat a lot of those, you’ll need more water.

And fruits and vegetables are mostly water.

I’ve read that cucumbers and water melon can have a higher water content than Perrier!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
mhc

Post by mhc »

About 1 gallon a day. All from the tap. We have great cold water here.

1 quart - first thing in the morning
4x16oz glasses during the day at work
1 quart at home in the evening

Living in an arid environment requires lots of water. We have days with single digit humidity.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Lon

Post by Lon »

Who keeps track? When I am thirsty I drink a glass of water from the filtered fridge water. When on the golf course, a cup or two from supplied containers at the tees.
SamB

Post by SamB »

I drink when I am thirsty, but that may vary quite a bit depending on what I do. Given other sources of water in food and other beverages, straight water consumption is not a very accurate indication of total water intake.

Among some MD's there is an issue associated with other halides, specifically fluoride and bromide interfering with iodide and iodine utilization so I am not enamored with tap water and I don't go out of the way to drink it.
mojave

Post by mojave »

Our rental water is gross with a lot of iron. About 15 - 20 years ago, a town a few miles away had bizarre cancers sprouting up, it was determined to be caused by polluted water from a farm or industrial business or something. I'm not from the area but my husband is and he won't drink tap water. Of course, we shower and cook with it, but we drink water bottles.

I have the equivalent of 3 or 4 bottles a day, at work we have reverse osmosis water that I drink from a glass & silicone water bottle. I used to never drink water but I accidentally got into the habit of it by drinking a bottle on my way to work and now I don't drink anything but water except for a diet coke at lunch.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Not enough.
Clearly_Irrational

mojave wrote:I have the equivalent of 3 or 4 bottles a day, at work we have reverse osmosis water that I drink from a glass & silicone water bottle.
After living in California for many years I insist on using a reverse osmosis filter at our house even though we live in Oregon where the local water is much better.